anolefan's small, pre July 4thTrip Report at the Fort

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my early morning photo mission I went back and checked on the kids.

They were ready to go, and have been fascinated with River Country since our visit in January. We went there to check it our for a moment. We would make another visit there on Sunday as well.

standard.jpg

They both tried to catch a view from the picnic table, but were unsuccessful.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I hadn't noticed this replacement fence panel before.

standard.jpg

When we got back to the site DS6 drew "River Country" with sidewalk chalk. I had hoisted both on my shoulders so they could see over the fence.

standard.jpg

DW's sister was staying at Bonnet Creek Resort, so after lunch she took DS8 to visit and swim at their pool while I took DS6 and DD4 to the Meadow Pool.

I was pleased to see at least an effort to check for ID's by the pool staff. I don't think it made a huge impact, as they didn't seem to have a plan or any rhyme or reason as to who they were checking, but it is a start. They never asked me and I was prepared with all of our cards.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

We only made it about 1 and 1/2 hours as it was HOT!

It was then time for a little bonding time with dad and DS6. We rode our bikes to the 300 loop and did some fishing by the bridge where the dam is.

I had taken him fishing the prior day and we got a "donut" as he calls it.

He was responsible for all three fish he caught! He was using the bread as "chum" and saw that he had attracted the fish, and just like that, he caught three nice fish.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And while we were out, someone was enjoying the hammock again, and someone else was wearing out their great uncle again.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

We had an awesome dinner of steaks, burgers and hot dogs, then it was off to the pool again, campfire, and movie.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

How can anyone NOT love the Fort? This place is amazing!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I was only able to get one slide shot as it was getting dark, but DD4 went down it several times and had a blast.

standard.jpg

Anyone want marshmallows?

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The boys and I headed back to the site and watched the fireworks through the trees and DW and DD4 stayed and watched The Princess and the Frog

Day 3 in the books.

Up next, a little more River Country and we go home :(

Me three! :banana:

There's nothing like cute happy kid pictures. (Though I don't love them enough to have more of my own, I'll settle for my dog, and wait for grandbabies!)

Tom, I think you're in big trouble with your daughter. Good thing she has older brothers to take care of business! ;)

Nice pictures Tom. I am seriously going to take some time just to wander around the Fort and take everything in :banana: I wonder if this belongs to tnbobstandard.jpg

:rofl2: Good one!

You really should spend some time doing just that. You will catch things that you have missed in previous visits for sure.

I'm lovin this!!!

Thank you!

Me too :banana:

Thank you, too!

Me three! :banana:

There's nothing like cute happy kid pictures. (Though I don't love them enough to have more of my own, I'll settle for my dog, and wait for grandbabies!)

Tom, I think you're in big trouble with your daughter. Good thing she has older brothers to take care of business! ;)

I think you are right S70. I am going to have to have my boys keep tabs on her when she gets older. She has the best personality and she is so funny!

You can tell your little girl is definitely a "Florida Girl," cause she is comfortable in her bathing suit night or day! :)

Good call! She didn't want a cover up, just throw on the suit and bike or walk to the pool, then on over to the campfire. She actually watched the entire movie with her suit on also.

Alright I'm on my last post, and just in time for some great reports that will be coming up shortly, once everyone gets back and settled in from the Fort.

Departure day is definitely my least favorite time. I usually get up early and take a bike ride or GC ride if we have one.

On this Sunday I woke up my oldest and invited him along on my bike ride with me. He was ready to go.

standard.jpg

We road to River Country (again), and got some shots over the fence. I stated before that my boys are really interested with RC and I showed them TCD's report over on the other site and they couldn't believe it. They asked so many questions and were very upset that Disney let this happen to such a cool place. DS6 kept asking "why don't the builders re-build River Country".

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

DS8 trying to get a better view.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The fishing guides apparently use the old ticket booth for storage.

standard.jpg

After looking around RC for a bit we walked to the stables and made our way to Trails End for my morning coffee.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

He says "look dad, this is what they use on Steamboat Willie".

standard.jpg

Before our game of checkers.

standard.jpg

After I crushed him at checkers. No mercy baby :)

standard.jpg

After our checkers match we rode back to our site so I could breakdown and DW could take the children to the pool.

On our way we were "spiked" in person by none other than TCD! I saw him cruising in his GC and he stopped and chatted for a bit. We had a nice conversation and he gave us two spikes. What a way to end our trip.

While I was breaking down our camper, this woodpecker stopped by. The photo is a little blurry as I was in a hurry to get a shot.

standard.jpg

We left about 12pm, and I have a few more pictures to share. Unfortunately they are of what was the longest trip from the Fort we have ever experienced.

As we pulled entered I-4 from Disney, this is what we encountered!

standard.jpg

This was on exit 62.

2 hours later we saw this on exit 58! That's right, it took us 2 hours to go 4 miles! A moving truck caught fire and I'm guessing all the debris spilled out onto the interstate.

standard.jpg

This is what DS6 and DS8 thought about that.

standard.jpg

It took us almost 4 hours to get home. It normally takes us an hour and a half!

A disappointing end to a wonderful trip.

Thanks for following along, and I am eagerly awaiting some amazing TR's!

Great report Tom. I really enjoyed all your pictures. There was something for everyone :banana: Your kids are adorable. The look on your son's face after the checker match was priceless :heart:

Congrats on getting two spikes that is so awesome. Sorry the traffic was so bad but glad you made it home safe and sound :banana:

Hey Tom!

Great job on this TR!

It was good to see you at the Fort on Sunday.

Man, there were a lot of Fiends at the Fort this weekend!

I love this shot!:

DS8 trying to get a better view.

standard.jpg

I have stood on the very rock and looked over that fence many times!

I am sorry about your trip back home. Wow! And the problem is, once you're on 4, there really aren't a lot of options for alternate routes.

You did a great job on this report.

Thanks for taking the time to post it!

TCD

Great TR. Thanks for posting it. Sorry about the trip home, but as we that live in central Fla. know all too well, that's I-4 for you. It's almost like playing Russian Roulette when you get on it. I've been in those parking lots more times than I like to remember.

Great report Tom. I really enjoyed all your pictures. There was something for everyone :banana: Your kids are adorable. The look on your son's face after the checker match was priceless :heart:

Congrats on getting two spikes that is so awesome. Sorry the traffic was so bad but glad you made it home safe and sound :banana:

Thank you for reading!

I appreciate the comments! My boy is pretty smart, so I can't "fake" losing to him in any games we play because he always figures it out.

Great report -- loved it all! (Except the stuck-in-traffic part; boo! Can't imagine being the family whose entire household was in that truck, though.)

Looks like it was such a casual, fun time. Loved the photos.

Thank you! And I agree about the family who lost everything in that fire. What a shame.

AUSOME Report!!!!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hey Tom!

Great job on this TR!

It was good to see you at the Fort on Sunday.

Man, there were a lot of Fiends at the Fort this weekend!

I love this shot!:

I have stood on the very rock and looked over that fence many times!

I am sorry about your trip back home. Wow! And the problem is, once you're on 4, there really aren't a lot of options for alternate routes.

You did a great job on this report.

Thanks for taking the time to post it!

TCD

Thanks Andrew! I enjoyed visiting with you also, and by the way, Yuri may have a couple of junior explorers to deal with if we ever see him at the Fort. My boys are dying to go along on one of his adventures, especially after we read the RC thread for over an hour when we got home.

Awesome report!

Thanks so much for reading!

Great report! It was nice to meet you. I just caught on that your name is a nole fan. I will remember now. I always thought you were anole fan. Like a fish or sumthin!

It was great to meet you also, and thanks for the comments.

Awesome trip report! Your kids are adorable and it looks like they had a blast! Thanks for sharing!

I appreciate that! They love their visits to the Fort!

Great TR. Thanks for posting it. Sorry about the trip home, but as we that live in central Fla. know all too well, that's I-4 for you. It's almost like playing Russian Roulette when you get on it. I've been in those parking lots more times than I like to remember.

I know that all too well. Orlando is one of our favorite getaway spots and we have seen our share of traffic backups in our trips there.

Thanks for reading!

Loved your trip report. The pictures are great and your kids are adorable!

Thank you very much!

Thanks, I really enjoyed your report!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my report!

This is a really great TR. Enjoyed looking at the pics of the kids having a great time. My kids are of similar age to yours and enjoy the same things. My DD5 sat in my lap and wanted to look at every picture just now.

Ahh, that is cool! I'm glad she enjoyed the photos!

I think these ages are just awesome for vacations. We have a blast, although they are still hard work, especially camping :)

Great TR wish you had stopped by the 1700 loop and said hi, we would have loved to meet you.

I know, I really wanted to get over there. On one of our upcoming visits I am going to make it happen, because there are such great people here!

Thanks Andrew! I enjoyed visiting with you also, and by the way, Yuri may have a couple of junior explorers to deal with if we ever see him at the Fort. My boys are dying to go along on one of his adventures, especially after we read the RC thread for over an hour when we got home.

Tom- We can make this happen. Maybe start out with something easy like exploring the old railroad tracks or the old Wilderness Swamp trail, and then build up from there. I am sure we will meet up at the Fort again one of these days. Heck, maybe once your junior explorers get good at it, I can tell Yuri to get lost, and send your guys out with my camera.

TCD

Tom- We can make this happen. Maybe start out with something easy like exploring the old railroad tracks or the old Wilderness Swamp trail, and then build up from there. I am sure we will meet up at the Fort again one of these days. Heck, maybe once your junior explorers get good at it, I can tell Yuri to get lost, and send your guys out with my camera.

TCD

Sounds like a plan.

Look forward to seeing you around the Fort!