TCD's Flippin' Awesome July 4 2011 Fort Trip Report!

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, Here we go. I'm going to lay out the details of the golf cart parade judging conspiracy here. Can you handle the truth? If not, don't read this post. Also, I note with interest that we have a new

Did I read that correctly??

Cart #175 - Best Disney Theme??

This cart? Am I missing the "Disney" Theme?

100_1339.jpg

OH!! The welded on Mickey Ears. It's so obvious! (Not)

that was kinda the point. I was picking the least obvious choices but with a little bit of the category.... thinking that this might be the way the voting conspiracy went.

He just came out and started talking. He introduced Goofy. Thanks, I didn't know who that big dog wearing a Revolutionary War uniform was:

TCD

:rofl2:

Well done!

Can't wait for more of your report.

Oh yea, and I love your early morning photos!

Notice how Ranger Sean was able to get everyone all bunched up here at the end.

Thanks Ranger Sean! What would we do without you?

This might have been a good place for Ranger Sean to ride his Segway.

But, it appears that there must be a clause in the Ranger's contracts which prohibit them from doing anything useful.

but I have to say that Ranger Sean is not the celebrity.

I'm thinking you're not too fond of Ranger Sean?

Great reporting and pictures TCD!

I've been slacking on my Fort Fiends time but I'm trying to catch back up.

I missed most of the awards but I was there for the grand prize and I still don't know who won?

I did hear what the grand prize was though, but I'll let you tell it.

I'm ready for more!

WBI

Did I read that correctly??

Cart #175 - Best Disney Theme??

This cart? Am I missing the "Disney" Theme?

100_1339.jpg

OH!! The welded on Mickey Ears. It's so obvious! (Not)

that was kinda the point. I was picking the least obvious choices but with a little bit of the category.... thinking that this might be the way the voting conspiracy went.

Actually, rebelstand is on the right track here. That cart did not win any awards, but it is no less deserving than some of the carts that did.

You'll see.

Well done!

Can't wait for more of your report.

Oh yea, and I love your early morning photos!

Thanks.

More is on the way.

I'm thinking you're not too fond of Ranger Sean?

No, not exactly, I had a chance to chat with Sean on several occasions. He's a nice guy, and he means well. But, there is some more to tell, and as you will see, I am not fond of the ranger position. These guys are just window dressing, and in my opinion, cause more problems than they solve. I will let you draw your own conclusions after I finish with the report.

Great reporting and pictures TCD!

I've been slacking on my Fort Fiends time but I'm trying to catch back up.

I missed most of the awards but I was there for the grand prize and I still don't know who won?

I did hear what the grand prize was though, but I'll let you tell it.

I'm ready for more!

WBI

I will tell who won the grand prize, but I do not know what the grand prize was. So, if you know that, please feel free to share.

Also, I am about to mention that I ran into some fiends whom I had never met there at the award ceremony. Let me know if you want me to hold off on telling about that, as I don't want to steal your thunder on your TR.

TCD

Now, what you've all been waiting for . . .

We will discuss the winners of the golf cart parade.

And, I will reveal the celebrity I spotted in the golf cart parade.

As mentioned, the unknown MC did a terrible job announcing the winners.

The first category announced was for best Disney cart.

He announced the winner by cart number.

Several people in the crowd called out to ask for which cart had won.

Our helpful anonymous MC repeated the cart number.

But, the winners were gracious enough to shout-out that it was the Monorail cart.

This one:

100_1298.jpg

OK, that is Disney themed.

I liked the Finding Nemo and Enchanted Tiki Room carts better, but maybe they are going to get a bigger prize.

The next cart was best family cart.

Again, the brilliant MC just announced the cart number.

That award went to the Fire Fighter themed cart:

100_1286.jpg

That cart was nice, but how is this a family cart?

Next up was most patriotic.

Again, just a cart number.

But, this is the cart that folks in the crowd said won most patriotic:

100_1320.jpg

As these winners were announced, the nameless MC called them up to the stage to claim their prize. No one told the crowd what the actual prizes were. In the past, I have run in to some of the winners, and asked what they won. In the past, the prizes were things like a free entry to the Hoop Dee Doo Review, or a free boat rental at the marina. I have no idea what this year's prizes were. If anyone knows, feel free to share.

Here are a couple of shots of some of the winners up on stage:

100_1354.jpg

100_1355.jpg

After these categories were announced, the MC then said he would announce the three over-all winners.

The third place award went to a cart that I do not have a photo of.

It was a cart that was not really decorated all that well. I remember seeing it go by, because it had an older couple riding on the back seat dressed in costumes.

You can see this couple to the right of the stage in the two photos above. They are seated on the bench next to the kid in the orange t-shirt.

Their cart won third place. I guess based on those costumes.

I can't tell you who won second place.

Mr. genius MC just announced the cart number, and the identity of the 2nd place winners never made it through the crowd to me.

Hopefully someone else knows and will tell us.

Then it was time to announce the winners!

Our dynamic but still no-named MC asked the crowd to do a manual drum roll.

Really

he did.

Then he announced the winners!

Here they are up on stage!:

100_1356.jpg

Notice the two girls standing in front of the stage. One of them is holding a zip lock back with a little orange and white fish in it. The back of her shirt says DARLA. She was on the Finding Nemo float. Look at that attention to detail. This family was awarded with nothing.

But, here are our winners walking off the stage with their unknown fabulous prize:

100_1357.jpg

So what cart were they driving?

This one:

100_1290.jpg

Why did that cart win the Grand Prize?

You got me.

It isn't bad.

But there's no way that was the best cart in the whole parade.

What gives?

At the time, I didn't know.

But, later I found out some things that make this all look really, really fishy.

We will get to that in due time.

One thing unusual that I noticed right away as we headed out of the area was that the winning cart, despite being mid-way in the parade, had a primo parking space right in the Trail's End parking area. Everybody else was directed to park way behind Pioneer Hall, but for some reason these folks got to park right up front:

100_1358.jpg

Take a good look at it people.

That was the best cart in the whole parade.

The grand prize winner.

There was actual murmuring in the crowd when the grand prize was announced.

The still completely anonymous nameless MC disappeared without even saying goodbye.

Last year, they let folks line up to get a photo with Goofy.

This year, no such deal.

Lame.

I was really perplexed about the winner.

So much so that I ran some of the photos through the TCD pop-up's onboard computer.

The computer gave me a couple of close-ups of the winners:

keithstone.jpg

keithstone2.jpg

There was something familiar about the driver of that cart. You can see him in the shot of the winners up on stage, too. Do you notice how he kind of keeps his hat brim down low? Like he's trying to conceal something?

Interesting.

On a whim, I ran these photos through the pirated facial recognition software that my cousin Yuri provided to me a while back.

I came up with a hit for the driver of that winning cart:

Keith-Stone2.jpg

Whoa!

That winning cart was driven by Keith Stone!

You don't know who that is?

Watch this video clip (come on, it's only 30 seconds long):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tzc-dB8Xuk

If you want to see more Keith Stone, there are plenty more of his commercials on Youtube.

Can you believe that Keith Stone was at the Fort?

And that he drove the golf cart that won the grand prize!

Well he did!

How cool is that?

Maybe Keith's star power swayed the judges?

He's always smooth, you know.

This is not the end of the story.

I learned some more information later that strongly suggests that there was a conspiracy in the voting.

We will get to that in just a bit.

For now, it's still early in the morning on the 4th.

We will be visiting the pool and other places today.

And, there are a few Fiends that I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time.

So, be sure to check back.

TCD

tongue.gif

No, that cart wasn't BAD, but I wouldn't say it was the best.

Not only have I not seen that commercial before, I have never heard of Keith Stone, and frankly I'm not impressed with his "star power"

(My apologies to Mr. Stone and any other Stones he may be related to)

I vote thumbs down on the 4th golf cart parade!

Rant over, please continue. :)

tongue.gif

Not only have I not seen that commercial before, I have never heard of Keith Stone, and frankly I'm not impressed with his "star power"

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never heard of Keith Stone. What does he do besides sell beer? Makes me feel better that I couldn't pick him out of the line up :rofl2:

Boo to the judging, I thought the Tiki Room cart was the best :banana:

KEY STONE!

I always thought those commercials were funny! Maybe that is why they won, but I agree all those winners are very strange from what I saw. I wouldn't have picked them like that.

And why was that cart parked right up front???

I was able to hear through the crowd the kid telling his mom what they won.

It was some type of Bay Lake cruise for up to, I think, 8 people!

I think it was a fireworks viewing one, but now I'm second guessing what type of cruise it was??

I remember telling CP that it was a pretty nice award and worth quite a bit of money.

Hey TCD don't worry about stealing my thunder, please continue on with your TR!

Work keeps delaying me from posting on my TR so don't wait on me.

WBI

tongue.gif

You need to watch some more of Keith's commercials.

He does have a way with the ladies.

By the way, has anyone ever tried Keystone Light?

I see the judge's problem ... head-up-ass1.jpg

Well put Ed.

Literally.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never heard of Keith Stone. What does he do besides sell beer? Makes me feel better that I couldn't pick him out of the line up :rofl2:

Boo to the judging, I thought the Tiki Room cart was the best :banana:

What is up with you ladies not knowing Keith?

He's always smooth.

Always.

As far as I know, he doesn't do anything other than sell beer.

Isn't that enough?

Check out his creative use of a Slim Jim in this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZHh3eyw6A&NR=1

And, I also like the Tiki Bird cart the best.

With the Finding Nemo folks in close second place.

And, I still feel really bad for the poor kids who decorated their bikes- they gave out no awards for the bikers, even though that was one of the categories allowed to enter the parade.

I still really want to know who the dumb MC was!

KEY STONE!

I always thought those commercials were funny! Maybe that is why they won, but I agree all those winners are very strange from what I saw. I wouldn't have picked them like that.

And why was that cart parked right up front???

I was able to hear through the crowd the kid telling his mom what they won.

It was some type of Bay Lake cruise for up to, I think, 8 people!

I think it was a fireworks viewing one, but now I'm second guessing what type of cruise it was??

I remember telling CP that it was a pretty nice award and worth quite a bit of money.

Hey TCD don't worry about stealing my thunder, please continue on with your TR!

Work keeps delaying me from posting on my TR so don't wait on me.

WBI

Thanks for that information. That sounds like one of the prizes they have awarded in the past.

That cruise was probably just a pontoon boat rental for an hour. Which is fun, but it's not a fireworks cruise or anything.

Thanks for the clearance to go forward with my report.

I was holding back on something else that I saw at the awards ceremony to give you the first chance to tell about it.

But, I'll go ahead and cover that in my next update.

TCD

Love your fort photos. I am kicking myself that I didn't take more while we were there.

And I am kicking myself for not thinking about the golf cart parade when I made reservations for my kids on the Pirate Adventure. They enjoyed their little pirate outing so it's okay, but I think they would have liked the parade, too.

By the way, has anyone ever tried Keystone Light?

TCD

Yes. Think along the lines of Busch Lite, Milwaekee Best Lite, Natural Lite.

It is a Coor's product :barf:

For cheap inexpensive beer we choose, High Life light, southpaw light and PBR.

Love your fort photos. I am kicking myself that I didn't take more while we were there.

And I am kicking myself for not thinking about the golf cart parade when I made reservations for my kids on the Pirate Adventure. They enjoyed their little pirate outing so it's okay, but I think they would have liked the parade, too.

Now. Now. Stop that kicking! From reading your trip report, you have no reason to second guess that pirate cruise- I promise you your kids had way more fun on that than they would have had watching the golf cart parade. And, you have already posted plenty of great photos from the Fort, so I don't think you should criticize yourself over that either.

The good news is that now that you're no longer newbies, you can plan your next trip to be even better!

Yes. Think along the lines of Busch Lite, Milwaekee Best Lite, Natural Lite.

It is a Coor's product :barf:

For cheap inexpensive beer we choose, High Life light, southpaw light and PBR.

Busch Lite.

Natti Lite.

Gotcha.

I'll pass on the Keystone Light, thank you.

TCD

As someone who has been disqualified in the past from a Fort decorating "contest" - I can tell you - I believe these things are never fair. Will I compete again? You Betcha - I believe half the fun is in competing.

I know this was probably answered Whip, but why were you disqualified :unsure:

Lemme tell you this.... Whip got screwed BIG TIME!! She made the Pirate Ship out of Duct Tape for Halloween 2009. It was the best decoration....EVER!!! It was so loved that it sat behind the split rail fence at the end of the 700 loop - by Settlement Depot - until nearly Christmas that year.

She did get a really neat snow globe as a consolation prize, but, her Pirate Ship was the most awesome creation I have ever seen. I'm sorry that I don't have a picture of it. Maybe someone else does & can post it.

Keith Stone? Never heard of him. If the Otter Spotter hasn't heard of Keith Stone then ol' Keith just isn't cool.

BTW - I prefer Icehouse, a nice IPA, or a British Brew called Old Speckled Hen.

Coors products, IMHO, are watered down witches piss. I never understood why Coors was such a big deal back in the days you could not get it east of the Mississippi. I had my first & last Coors in 1978 when I went to Arizona. (okay - not my last Coors - but close to it)

BTW - I prefer Icehouse, a nice IPA, or a British Brew called Old Speckled Hen.

Coors products, IMHO, are watered down witches piss. I never understood why Coors was such a big deal back in the days you could not get it east of the Mississippi. I had my first & last Coors in 1978 when I went to Arizona. (okay - not my last Coors - but close to it)

My hubby loves :heart: Old Speckled Hen, he prefers the drought cans more than bottles. Since I can't remember the name, it is called "Chicken Beer" in our house. Icehouse is good, IPAs are good.

We can't stand Coors and we avoid Bud products too. Miller is our main domestic brewery of choice.

Well, since Deb asked, here's some photos of Whipperwhirl's decorated site from Halloween, 2009:

FWHalloween2009172.jpg

FWHalloween2009173.jpg

FWHalloween2009174.jpg

FWHalloween2009175.jpg

And, I don't think the next photos were ever posted anywhere, but they show Whipperwhirl's pirate ship after it had been moved to a spot behind a site on the 700 loop. These photos were taken Thanksgiving week. You can see that Christmas decorations are now up. It rained a lot that week, and from what I hear, the ship was finally taken down in early December.

Not bad:

FWThanksgiving09197.jpg

FWThanksgiving09198.jpg

FWThanksgiving09199.jpg

FWThanksgiving09200.jpg

And Deb- having lived in the East my whole life, I remember all the hype about Coor's beer. When it finally was allowed across the Mississippi, I was hugely disappointed. I think it's a nice beer, but I was expecting a lot more.

TCD