The Auburn Clan's 4th of July FW Trip Report, Finallly

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with you. Ranger Sean is a nice enough guy. I'm sure the other Rangers are nice guys too. But, from my observation, there is a lot of inconsistency in what is and is not enforced and who has

...The management is saying that children are running throughout the sites and tripping over them and getting rung by them. Now, my solution to this is keep yo chirens in your site and stop cutting across. This would eliminate some kid trying to cut his or her head off running through someone else's campsite....

I could tolerate the argurment that they are an eye sore (I happen to be in favor of tackiness, I'm from Kentucky orginally afterall :rofl2: ).. but to say there is a concern that some kid might cut their head off irratates me, apparently there have been issues with that or it wouldnt have come to light. People need to get a better control of their kids at the fort. A couple good "clotheslines" to the neck might slow the little heathens down long enough to figure out "hey.. I shouldnt' be here..". I know crappy parenting is a problem that not even the disney guru's could figure out.. I'm just saying IMHO, let's not make accomodations of any sort for people who have no desire to teach their kids common sense or manners. Heaven forbide one of my little critters had a lapse in sanity and got clotheslined.. trust me, their neck would be the least of their worries though.. :popo:

I could tolerate the argurment that they are an eye sore (I happen to be in favor of tackiness, I'm from Kentucky orginally afterall :rofl2: ).. but to say there is a concern that some kid might cut their head off irratates me, apparently there have been issues with that or it wouldnt have come to light. People need to get a better control of their kids at the fort. A couple good "clotheslines" to the neck might slow the little heathens down long enough to figure out "hey.. I shouldnt' be here..". I know crappy parenting is a problem that not even the disney guru's could figure out.. I'm just saying IMHO, let's not make accomodations of any sort for people who have no desire to teach their kids common sense or manners. Heaven forbide one of my little critters had a lapse in sanity and got clotheslined.. trust me, their neck would be the least of their worries though.. :popo:

I couldn't agree more!!! I have had more than my fair share of having to deal with parents who don't want to pay attention to their kids, but then complain when something goes wrong. Maybe if you turned off your computer/ipad/cell phone etc and paid attention to your kids and where they are and what they are doing, the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for your lack of parenting skills.

Ok, rant over. :-X

All good arguments, but you know that if a kid gets injured by running into a clothesline, it's just a matter of time before someone sues. Those darn pesky lawyers.

Would Disney win that suit or could it go either way?

They're in high gear with a safety program and I'm guessing that's what this is all about.

I started a thread about signs that are placed in a few locations instructing transportation CMs on how to walk safely.

Talk about unsupervised kids:

The night before we left when it was raining practically nonstop we had a nice pond form next to our site. There was this big kid (probably 13-14) hanging out in that nasty muddy water. Gross! I am sorry but it's Florida. Who knows what could have crawled into that murky water. I should have taken a picture of him. He was filthy but the water he was wading in was worse.

Bravo Bravo,

TCD just hit the nail on the head. Any and all "problems" be they real, imagined, created by campers, freeloaders or Management, are easily fixed if they write the check so to speak, and while we pay ridiculous prices, they are apparently not enough to cover proper and safe campgrounds/cabins; and certainly don't include the astronomical charges for teaching people common frickin' sense!

It's really quite simple, Carol.

Jen mentioned tie-dye. Tie-dying was originated by hippies. Hippies did drugs, unashamedly. The filter at your work was smart enough to string it all together and keep you off the thread.

You can thank me with a toasted almond the next time you see me.

The fixins stay in the camper!!!

I couldn't agree more. In fact when I read all this I thought .. "If I had that big of a problem with unruly kids/people cutting through my site I just may clothesline them myself." ;) Sounds harsh I know.. but if we able to keep our Gabe, both of our kids for that matter, from running through other people's sites there are no excuses for not controlling neurotypical children. Don't get me started! :argh:

I'm sorry, I thought the number one golden rule of camping is don't cut through anybody elses site!

Yep, but it seems nowadays there is a huge lack of respect for others.

I couldn't agree more!!! I have had more than my fair share of having to deal with parents who don't want to pay attention to their kids, but then complain when something goes wrong. Maybe if you turned off your computer/ipad/cell phone etc and paid attention to your kids and where they are and what they are doing, the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for your lack of parenting skills.

Ok, rant over. :-X

I second that rant. Not sure how many times I've watched that scene and felt like taking away their cells tossing them in the lake then daring them to say one word about it! :rant: I know I can't really do that but a girl can dream.

Ok this may be a dumb question but just how tall are these running wild children anyway? It's a clothesline people, most kids should be able to run under it :rofl2:

As much as I would like to withdraw from this discussion, I have to say my piece.

I highly doubt that any children were injured from running into a clothesline, and that this is what is prompting the alleged clothesline ban. You are right, Doodle, most campers have the common sense to hang a clothesline so it does not present a danger to folks. And just so we are clear, I am not questioning that this is what Jen was told by the Rangers, but I am questioning whether the Rangers were providing accurate information.

This whole "cutting through my campsite" business always gets to me too. How many people actually cut through other people's campsites at the Fort? The way things are laid out, there really are very few places where someone would have any reason or desire to cut through another person's site. I have camped a couple of times behind the 1500 loop bus stop, and there are quite a few 1600 loopers who cut through at the comfort station to get to that bus stop. Lots of folks walk between the bus stop and the comfort station. I have camped in the site closest to the comfort station. If someone walks between my site and the comfort station, I don't consider that cutting through "my" campsite.

I have camped at the Fort more times than I can count and have stayed in more campsites there than I can keep track of. I have never had a problem with people running through my campsite.

This whole clothesline thing is a bunch of B.S.

To open another small can of worms, It hasn't been that long since a child out riding his bike was killed by a bus at Fort Wilderness. In my opinion, there are a lot of dangers presented in the Fort by where they have sidewalks and where they don't. In the place where this poor boy got killed, the edge of the sidewalk isn't more than a foot from the road. And, it never fails that even after this tragedy, I see unsupervised young kids out riding their bikes close to bus and car traffic, and lots of them without helmets. This is a real danger. And a violation of Florida law. What has the management done about it? Nothing. But, they are now going to ban clotheslines?

Really?

TCD

Bravo Bravo,

TCD just hit the nail on the head. Any and all "problems" be they real, imagined, created by campers, freeloaders or Management, are easily fixed if they write the check so to speak, and while we pay ridiculous prices, they are apparently not enough to cover proper and safe campgrounds/cabins; and certainly don't include the astronomical charges for teaching people common frickin' sense!

I agree with TCD on several things. Whether or not there are rangers is fine with me. (Like I said before, they visit with the campers and are generally nice peeps.) However, in my years on this planet, a comedian's statement rings true with me every day...

You can't fix stupid.

And I will continue to put my clothesline out until I am told not to. :raspberry:

Sounds harsh I know.. but if we able to keep our Gabe, both of our kids for that matter, from running through other people's sites there are no excuses for not controlling neurotypical children. Don't get me started! :argh:

Yep, but it seems nowadays there is a huge lack of respect for others.

I second that rant. Not sure how many times I've watched that scene and felt like taking away their cells tossing them in the lake then daring them to say one word about it! :rant: I know I can't really do that but a girl can dream.

Kim, I havent met you but I like you :heart: