October trip report

Hi fiends! I’ve been lurking here for a while and finally made the plunge to get back involved. I joined camping boards in April ’10 to prepare for my first Fort trip in 10 years. I was active for a few months and posted 4 trip reports. Life got the best of me and I took a forums break. In the mean time, we bought a house(!) and took more WDW trips.

We are in our twenties with no children and 2 kitties. We live in GA (about 5.5 hours from WDW) and like to visit as much as possible. We are tent campers but we hope to purchase a pop-up soon. We had annual passes from May ’10-May ’11 but let them lapse. We are unsure when we will renew again. I have 6 reports to catch up on, including an upcoming trip this weekend! Here goes my October report!

We visited Oct 8-12th, my fall break from school. I took notes but I was bad with pictures this trip. It was nice to enjoy my visit rather than worrying about my camera. I hope you enjoy writing with limited pictures :)) I regretted this no photo decision soon after. I promise my remaining reports will have more!

My parents came with us on this visit. They brought their RV and we shared a full hook-up site. My parents had not been to the Fort since ’00 and only been to WDW twice since then. It was great to share the time with them!

Day 1- Friday, October 8:

We weren’t able to hit the road till 5:30pm and started setting up at 11:45pm. My dad had to work late and they didn’t get to leave until after 9pm :o We got our things situated and stayed up until they arrived (in case they got lost or had any trouble). At 5am, we all crashed into bed!

I requested a site near a comfort station and room enough for our tent and their RV dimensions. I loved our site! The CS was about 6 sites down and we felt secluded with the canal behind us. The only negative we experienced was being beside the back half of the 1500 loop. There was a Girl Scout troop staying in two tent sites for Friday/Saturday night. I forgot how loud little girls can scream!

P1030756.jpg

P1030757.jpg

P1030745.jpg

P1030746.jpg

P1030749.jpg

P1030748.jpg

P1030754.jpg

Welcome back!

I remember reading you reports last year with the tent and a/c. I think ya'll made a trip with another young couple too. I remember because we are also a twenties couple with no kids so it stuck out to me.

Ya'll defintely had a late start and stayed up late but that site looks great!

I'm glad you decided to do you're old trip reports. This one looks great so far.

Thanks for posting, I'm ready for more.

WBI

Day 2- Saturday, October 9:

Needless to say, we did not roll out of bed that morning to hit some extra magic hours. We took things slow and headed off to Publix for our fresh groceries. We grilled burgers for lunch and headed over to HS for a Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster singles line marathon. It was closed for a technological malfunction with no anticipated opening time. That was disappointing to travel over there just for that and be out of luck! We went back to the Fort for some bike riding. We got Mickey bars at Meadows Trading Post and then took the exercise trail over to Wilderness Lodge. I’m glad some lush green wilderness has been preserved in that area. Let’s hope it stays.

We grilled sirloin and corn on the cob and then headed over to Magic Kingdom. We were able to ride Splash, Big Thunder, Wishes, and some shopping before leaving.

Day 3- Sunday, October 10:

We woke up early for church and after getting back and changing, we hopped on a bus to the Wilderness Lodge. We had lunch at Roaring Forks and sat outside at a table near the pool.

02_22A.jpg

01_23A.jpg

Overlooking Bay lake. The WL has a great atmosphere!

DSC_0347.jpg

During lunch we had an interesting chain of events. My parents had purchased a two day base ticket for this trip. They were going to a park on Saturday and Monday. Today was supposed to be a chill day. We were talking about annual passes and how nice it was to not feel crazed to accomplish everything in one visit; you can always come back! Once my mom learned she could apply the cost of their 2 day tickets to the purchase of an AP, she was sold. We boarded a boat to MK guest relations and within no time, all 4 of us were on Main Street! We went on the Treehouse, Pirates, People Mover, and Laugh Floor before taking a boat back to the Fort. We had to get ready for the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review!

03_21A.jpg

We had to stop by the Emporium and buy socks for the men folk. They weren't prepared for an afternoon of walking at MK.

05_19A.jpg

We had category 1 seats for the 5pm show. It was a first for all of us. All in all, it was wonderful! The food was delicious, service was great without being overbearing, and the entertainment was better than I was expecting.

07_15A.jpg

My kind of place.

After our gluttonous experience, we headed back to MK for EMH. Space, Wishes, Splash, Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, Buzz, Pooh, Snow White, and Peter Pan. Boat back to the Fort (I love that amenity) and back at site at 2am.

Overlooking Bay lake. The WL has a great atmosphere!

DSC_0347.jpg

We had to stop by the Emporium and buy socks for the men folk. They weren't prepared for an afternoon of walking at MK.

05_19A.jpg

Hey you have some great photos after all!

I love that shot from the WL balcony looking out over Bay Lake!

And, is your dad going to wear socks with his Crocs?

Was that OK with you?

My daughters would never allow such a thing.

In fact, I can't even wear Crocs without socks around them.

TCD

I'm happy to have readers! I forgot I liked writing trip reports and reliving things. I have another week off before school starts back. I hope to finish all 6 before then.

Welcome back!

I remember reading you reports last year with the tent and a/c. I think ya'll made a trip with another young couple too. I remember because we are also a twenties couple with no kids so it stuck out to me.

Ya'll defintely had a late start and stayed up late but that site looks great!

I'm glad you decided to do you're old trip reports. This one looks great so far.

Thanks for posting, I'm ready for more.

WBI

Yep, that was us! We went for 6 days for July 4th '10 with my sister-in-law and her fiancee. We haven't used the a/c since September. I'm hoping it works for us this weekend! I'm enjoying your WL report. I hope to stay there one day.

Hey you have some great photos after all!

I love that shot from the WL balcony looking out over Bay Lake!

And, is your dad going to wear socks with his Crocs?

Was that OK with you?

My daughters would never allow such a thing.

In fact, I can't even wear Crocs without socks around them.

TCD

Secret...that shot overlooking Bay Lake is from March. Shh.

Crocs aren't my first (or last) choice in footwear but I can't fault him while at WDW. He doesn't stand out in that crowd!

:rofl2: Love the "sock" picture! That's something you don't see in an everyday trip report.

Good job!

Great pictures :banana: I don't have pictures of me putting socks at HS but I have had to buy them there and put em on :rofl2:

My pop had to buy some too. Makes you wonder what he was thinking, since he HAD planned to go to the parks for a full day..... :unsure:

I had another picture of him with a great big grin before putting on the socks. I never thought I'd be involved in buying socks, of all things, at WDW.

Day 4- Monday, October 11:

After a late night at MK, we slept in till after 9. Took things slow, had breakfast, and headed off to Typhoon Lagoon! We prefer it to Blizzard Beach for theming and overall atmosphere. We rode two slides, looped the river, and spent lots of time surfing the waves. We had taken lunch in a cooler and sat near Crush ‘n’ Gusher. We were there for about 3 hours and then headed to DTD for our Christmas ornament while we were so close. After that, we went back to HS for RnRC take 2. We were able to ride 3 times from the singles line and headed back to Fort to clean up for dinner at Ohana!

We drove to the Poly and had 7pm reservations. I had read many positive things about Ohana while I was active on the boards. We were not disappointed! Our meal lasted about an hour and we went down to the beach to snag a hammock. The Halloween party was happening at MK that evening. We were able to watch HalloWishes from our hammock with the narration, sand, and tiki torches. It was a wonderful evening, one of the best we’ve had all together.

P1030728.jpg

P1030729.jpg

You can't tell from this picture but we had a great castle view. We were able to watch it change colors throughout the meal.

P1030731.jpg

P1030734.jpg

P1030744.jpg

P1030742.jpg

We currently have a trip booked for Columbus day weekend. There is a party going on one night we are there. Does anyone have any experience with this event? Opinions on if it’s worth the extra cost or should we not bother?

Day 5- Tuesday, October 12:

The last day of fall break and our day to leave cry.gif We woke up at 8:30 and started packing up. After the majority of things were finished, my mom and I took a bike ride to show her the Meadows area.

We saw this leaving the 1600 loop.

01_3.jpg

02_4.jpg

06_8.jpg

We left the Fort at noon and headed to AK. We rode Everest singles line, took the train to Planet watch, and rode the Safari. We headed back at home at 3pm and would return in December!

P1030762.jpg

P1030766.jpg

This little guy decided to hold us up for a bit

P1030768.jpg

P1030770.jpg

Cute baby elephant

P1030778.jpg

Welcome to the boards!

I remember your reports over "there" and was also impressed with your A/C hookup.

I was at the Fort the same time you were last October. I took my mother with me for her first trip and she had a blast. We arrived on your departure day I think. The weather was amazing that week!

Can't wait to see more of your report.

Looks like you had a lot of fun. I am doing Ohana for my birthday in November, I would love to have a view of the castle. Thanks for sharing :banana:

We had to request a window view when checking in. It can make the wait longer but worth it.

Welcome to the boards!

I remember your reports over "there" and was also impressed with your A/C hookup.

I was at the Fort the same time you were last October. I took my mother with me for her first trip and she had a blast. We arrived on your departure day I think. The weather was amazing that week!

Can't wait to see more of your report.

The weather was wonderful! We didn't take our a/c for this trip. Nice enough for shorts during the day and maybe a light jacket at night.

Great report so far! Thanks for sharing!

That's all I have for this report. I've just posted day 1 for December. Thanks for reading!

We currently have a trip booked for Columbus day weekend. There is a party going on one night we are there. Does anyone have any experience with this event? Opinions on if it’s worth the extra cost or should we not bother?

We have typically gone to the MNSSHP every year.

The last couple of years, the parties have been more crowded than in the past.

As a passholder, I prefer one of the very late (12 am -3 am) EMH's at MK to the hard ticket parties.

But, if you've never been, the special Boo Too You parade is great, as is Hallowishes from inside the park.

And, you can get a ton of candy, if you so desire.

The guests in costumes make for some great people watching, too.

I am leaning to us not going this year.

You mentioned that you haven't yet renewed your passes. If you still haven't, then maybe the party would be a chance for you to visit the MK without investing in passes just yet.

TCD