Ok, let me start by saying that I an a HUGE fan of the HDDR. Have been several times, and have always been fortunate to get the real Six Bits, if you know what I mean. Although we were there the time he fell ill during the show and was taken off in an ambulance...which only made his importance to the show that much more evident. But anyways, even without Ben being a regular castmember any longer I was still planning on seeing the show on our next visit in November.

So, I called Disney dining a short time ago, and our preferred date was available. Cool! I asked for the 5pm show, and the CM indicated the times have changed and the early show is now at 4:00. Thats kinda early, but ok. I then asked for the pricing. Category 1 pricing is now $67.99 for adults! And I have 5 adults...even though 3 of them are really kids. That plus the little ones and the tab would be $400! I seem to remember cat 1 pricing being in the $53 range a couple years ago.

In any case, I guess we will be passing on the hoop this year. I'm sad about that cause I do love the show, but I just can't justify that expense for fried chicken and vaudeville, when I can buy a month's worth of groceries for that at home. I know it is not Disney's problem that I have a large family, but does anyone else think that $68 is getting too steep for that show?

Sigh. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Ya, Dave I think it's a bit much. I had gastric bypass surgery and called and asked if i could pay the children's price. They said no go, I was paying for the show not the food. So I had a chicken wing and some beans, that was one expensive dinner for me

I think they need to take into consideration that just because you have children that they consider adults, it doesn't mean they have adult appetites. The show is good but there are other things that I would spend that much money on first

I agree, that is STEEP! I was looking at the Candle light packages and about fell over.

Our experience at the buffets have been at best average. And to justify the cost, we have found ourselves eating WAY to much. We've decided we will do only table service meals and no buffets except maybe Cape May. Hubby can put down some crab legs. We will definitely hit Raglan Road but nothing else jumps out at us except Kona Cafe for breakfast.

Once again, I think Disney is raising prices to justify "free" dining.

Glad to know I'm not the only one ranting on food service prices.

Yeah, the CM assumed I was using the dining plan when I called. He said I couldn't book Cat 1 with the plan, and I said I wasn't on the dining plan. He sounded surprised.

Oh wait, I was going to suggest seeing if free dining was offered at the values then and booking a 1 night reservation at a Value with free dining, but you would need two rooms, nevermind

Yeah, the CM assumed I was using the dining plan when I called. He said I couldn't book Cat 1 with the plan, and I said I wasn't on the dining plan. He sounded surprised.

There's your answer right there.

The Disney Dining Plan has ruined the WDW restaurant experience for me.

It has been a long time since we have been to the HDDR, as my party has consisted of five adults for a long time.

For an upcoming trip, I have actually booked the Dining Plan so I can use the credits for the HDDR. It is still overpriced, but we end up with additional meal and snack credits for what it would have cost to just pay for the HDDR separately (this is going to be just a two night trip).

There is no doubt in my mind that the food prices are jacked up to force guests into buying in to the Dining Plan.

For my other visits to the Fort, my dining experience is usually limited to take out from Trail's End (where I can get the same amount of chicken and other food that my family would eat at the HDDR for $25 instead of $400+) and quick serve restaurants. I wish we could go to more sit downs, but they have priced me out of the market for sit down restaurants.

The great thing about camping is that we can bring our own food, and have great meals, and not get gouged by Disney.

TCD

Trails End, stopped for us last July when it 17/person for breakfast buffet.

We can be waited on, a Kona coffee carafe (not Neste stuff), and entre for that price.

If we go in October, we will be enjoying the fair at EPCOT booths. But honestly most of the resteraunts are not unique enough for us to pay big $$$.

We can grill ribeyes, veggies and drink our own beer ALOT cheaper than current prices.

Our first trip we did the DDP because we were staying in All-Star Music. Our last trip we stayed at the Fort and ate most of our meals at home(travel Trailer). Although we missed some of the food, we still managed to hit our favorite QS restaurants.

The next trip we are doing the dining plan simply because we plan on doing HDDR, Illuminations Dinner, Safari Dinner, and a few other Character meals. We literally plan on spending all our breakfast and dinner/supper dining credits on special dining experiences, as we've never done a single one before. Saving just enough for lunch credits in the parks.

The cost of the dining plan is 1.5 times than the cost of the tickets and the week at the Fort. We have a son who will just have turned 10 when we arrive, so three adults and one child.

Ok, let me start by saying that I an a HUGE fan of the HDDR. Have been several times, and have always been fortunate to get the real Six Bits, if you know what I mean. Although we were there the time he fell ill during the show and was taken off in an ambulance...which only made his importance to the show that much more evident. But anyways, even without Ben being a regular castmember any longer I was still planning on seeing the show on our next visit in November.

So, I called Disney dining a short time ago, and our preferred date was available. Cool! I asked for the 5pm show, and the CM indicated the times have changed and the early show is now at 4:00. Thats kinda early, but ok. I then asked for the pricing. Category 1 pricing is now $67.99 for adults! And I have 5 adults...even though 3 of them are really kids. That plus the little ones and the tab would be $400! I seem to remember cat 1 pricing being in the $53 range a couple years ago.

In any case, I guess we will be passing on the hoop this year. I'm sad about that cause I do love the show, but I just can't justify that expense for fried chicken and vaudeville, when I can buy a month's worth of groceries for that at home. I know it is not Disney's problem that I have a large family, but does anyone else think that $68 is getting too steep for that show?

Sigh. Thanks for listening to my rant.

I feel your pain!! I really do think Disney should rethink the 9 year old cut off for kids to considered adults, it should be at least 12 IMHO, it's like that in most other places in the world.

When I told my Dave how much it cost, he almost fell out of his chair.. he ask me if you get ruffies with the drink and a lap dance for that money.. :rofl2:

I wasn't saying anything b/c I didn't want to whine but I thought $53 was too much for chicken & beans. I can go to Ohana or a buffet for half of what HDDR costs... than again, we've all seen the show several times. Maybe if we hadn't seen it yet, I'd think differently, but I doubt it.

We've always been a party of 4-5 adults & a child. This trip, I guess DD10 would be an adult too and she only eats the crust off a chicken leg before saying she's full. No way, would I ever pay $68 for a chicken leg and a couple french fries even if our vacation funds were unlimited. I can hit McD's and see a broadway show in NYC for that... :argh:

Last time i saw HDDR was 1981 and at that price it may have been the last. I was thinking about doing it on our next trip while my daughter was free but my wife won't like the food so it's hard for me to spend that much on it.

I feel your pain!! I really do think Disney should rethink the 9 year old cut off for kids to considered adults, it should be at least 12 IMHO, it's like that in most other places in the world.

Before the DDP, it was 12 - even on wdw's old Food & Fun option. They changed it to 9 to make DDP ages mesh with the ticket ages...

IMO DDP ruined wdw dining - and free dining just compounded the issue. Being a TA we booked throw-away flights and cars all the time to get the best value for clients. Fifteen years ago, I'd never have believed it'd be cheaper to book throw away rooms at wdw than it was to pay for meals OOP while staying at a deluxe...

Wow, yeah, I thought it was tough at $60 per person and that was with the "a" team still playing. I'm not sure I can bring myself to revisit the Hoop at those prices and none of the crew I love (except David), it's just too likely I'll be disappointed. I'll have to cling to my memories.

In 25 years of camping at the fort, we've never been to the HDDR. Was hoping to talk David into going on our next trip, but with these prices I doubt he will agree to it. And with me being a low carber, the only thing on the menu I can eat is chicken.

Not sure if this helps but I've heard there is a substancial discount for the last show using Tables in Wonderland. I have one if you need it. Not sure with the younger one's if this will work. We went in 2006 and I keep saying we're going to do it again. Maybe we'll try the show at Poly. I know the BYBBQ is too young for my kiddo but looks fun.

HDR is one of the reasons we would like to do a "1 day Premium Plan Extravaganza" before the year is out and it is too late. That is probably the only way we would feel like it was worth it for us. I have wanted to go for ages, but the cost always keeps us away. I mean really, it's fried chicken and ribs! I can get a 8 piece box with tater logs and rolls for $5 and a full slab of smoked ribs for another $5 at the Pig. I don't mind paying for entertainment, but that is pretty high.

I understand and feel your pain on the 10 year old "adults." It is the same way with elderly people, my Mama might eat 1 wing and a few bites of something else. She loves breakfast buffets, but refuses to do one at WDW unless we are on the dining plan because of the ridiculous prices.

They keep raising the prices so when people look at the DDP, it appears to be "worth it" and the sad thing is that it is if you are going to eat at those restaurants. Of course, we don't really want to pay the prices they are asking oop any more.

I'm with you Dave! I would love to take Amanda since she has never seen it, but she doesn't even eat meat, so that's a LOT of money to basically just see the show.

IMHO, most of WDW food is over priced. I'd rather grill steaks at camp. :)

I have had some food for thought... pun intended... I think. After reading this I looked over the menu and there are two people in my family, me included, that would not eat or be able to eat anything on the menu. The BBQ however has plenty of things for the entire family....

So here is a BIG THANKS to Dave and those who responded for pointing out the issues for me!!! :banana:

I have had some food for thought... pun intended... I think. After reading this I looked over the menu and there are two people in my family, me included, that would not eat or be able to eat anything on the menu. The BBQ however has plenty of things for the entire family....

So here is a BIG THANKS to Dave and those who responded for pointing out the issues for me!!! :banana:

Glad this thread was helpful, Nicki. But if you are still interested in the Hoop show, I'd be happy to grab a Giddyap n Go dinner and come to your site to sing a few of the songs for you and your family. And like Walmart, I'm rolling back prices. I only charge $52.99 per person. :rofl2: