Importance of Surge Protectors - fka Ten Minutes is All It Took!!!

Some good news is I have noted a lot of surge arresters installed in Fort distribution panels. The ones I have seen are far better than anything you can likely buy at an RV store. Look for the boxes on the sides of panels that are a little smaller than a shoe box. The drawback to these is they won't do anything for an under voltage occurrence.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the post. I got my surge protector today because of this.  

Was looking for a thread on surge protectors and figure this needs to be bumped

Some good news is I have noted a lot of surge arresters installed in Fort distribution panels. The ones I have seen are far better than anything you can likely buy at an RV store. Look for the boxes

After reading posts back several months ago about surge protectors and with our next outing will be to Grayson State Park we have already purchased our 30A surge protector from Camping World.  We paid somewhere around $225.00 on sale.  Showing my wife these pictures really drove the point home for that investment.  Next is to get the lock for it.  It is currently on sale at Camping World for less than $20.00.  This lock just as in any lock is just to keep honest people honest. If someone really wants it, no lock is good enough.

After reading posts back several months ago about surge protectors and with our next outing will be to Grayson State Park we have already purchased our 30A surge protector from Camping World.  We paid somewhere around $225.00 on sale.  Showing my wife these pictures really drove the point home for that investment.  Next is to get the lock for it.  It is currently on sale at Camping World for less than $20.00.  This lock just as in any lock is just to keep honest people honest. If someone really wants it, no lock is good enough.

Many times all you need is a pad lock to lock the cover on the panel once you plug in and close the lid. However as I've said many other times the only thing we've had walk in 41 years of RVing are some soft drinks that we had out in a cooler one night. 

Just a quick note...we're in 1913 at the fort. Large storm blew through earlier. Completely fried our surge protector. Maintenance was just here making repairs. Who knows what would have happened without a surge protector. Bad part is for the time being, we don't have one...

UPDATE....

Our surge protector is a Surge Guard Model 34730, 30 amp. According to the Disney maintenance guy, he's seen them before, and once they take a hard hit, they can take some time to "reset ". He suggested we unplug it for an hour or so, then try it again.

We laid it on the kitchen table overnight. Walked to an open site when I got up and tried it there. It appears to be functioning flawlessly. I'm going to call surge guard now and get some guidance from them. I'm thinking we're lucky we used a surge protector, even though maintenance says they're not necessary.

UPDATE #2....Surge Guard tech support says our surge protector did exactly what it is supposed to do, and depending on conditions it may take 30-60 minutes "off line" for the protector to reset. I told him I was concerned that the unit may now be compromised in some way. His explanation...if the unit is lighting, and showing a display on the LED screen, it is still functioning and providing protection. If the LED screen is blank, the unit is no good.

Seems simple enough. Surge Guard gets our endorsement!

UPDATE....

Our surge protector is a Surge Guard Model 34730, 30 amp. According to the Disney maintenance guy, he's seen them before, and once they take a hard hit, they can take some time to "reset ". He suggested we unplug it for an hour or so, then try it again.

We laid it on the kitchen table overnight. Walked to an open site when I got up and tried it there. It appears to be functioning flawlessly. I'm going to call surge guard now and get some guidance from them. I'm thinking we're lucky we used a surge protector, even though maintenance says they're not necessary.

UPDATE #2....Surge Guard tech support says our surge protector did exactly what it is supposed to do, and depending on conditions it may take 30-60 minutes "off line" for the protector to reset. I told him I was concerned that the unit may now be compromised in some way. His explanation...if the unit is lighting, and showing a display on the LED screen, it is still functioning and providing protection. If the LED screen is blank, the unit is no good.

Seems simple enough. Surge Guard gets our endorsement!

Good news!!  And bonus points for the Disney maintenance guy being so knowledgeable in the ways of surge protectors.

Now I need to go home and see what kind ours is.

Do you think a surge protector is necessay for a pop up with 110v service?

I have an inverter in it that powers one 12v overhead light a 12v step light, and 3 110v outlets.

We don't have any built in electrical devices in the PUP.  I do have a small micowave we may use inside of it if it's too rainy outside to cook.  Also an induction type hotplate.

Nothing will be left on inside of it while we are away from the site.

I am bringing a portable ice make that will be set up under a tarp and will have it's own extension cord going to it from the power pole.  That will be left on while we are out to the pool, other resorts, etc.

Do you think a surge protector is necessay for a pop up with 110v service?

I have an inverter in it that powers one 12v overhead light a 12v step light, and 3 110v outlets.

We don't have any built in electrical devices in the PUP.  I do have a small micowave we may use inside of it if it's too rainy outside to cook.  Also an induction type hotplate.

Nothing will be left on inside of it while we are away from the site.

I am bringing a portable ice make that will be set up under a tarp and will have it's own extension cord going to it from the power pole.  That will be left on while we are out to the pool, other resorts, etc.

I would not think you would need one

Missed this the first time...  Thanks Bill for the original heads up, Beckers for the bump, Todd for driving the importance home, and finally Nacole for the deal at Camping World (who gets way too much money from me already).    My surge guard is on it way !