Importance of Surge Protectors - fka Ten Minutes is All It Took!!!

Word of warning, if little eyes are looking over your shoulder,

do not read any further unless you are ready to

handle some nightmares

This weekend while camping a tragic event unfolded 5 sites down from ours. While I was getting the fire ready to light my DS6 said, "hey dad look at that campfire" The first thing I thought was what the hell are they burning as it was the wrong color smoke. Then I realized that the smoke was not coming from the other side of the fifth wheel, but from the bedroom slide. I immediatley yelled to the wife to call 911 grab the 20lb extingusher out of my truck and ran down to see if there was anything I could do. I was met at the front of the burning fifth wheel by the campers owner and he said that he was inside watching TV when he lost power. He said he went outside to check the breaker box and all of the breakers were tripped so he turned them back on. When he got back inside he saw smoke coming from the area where his fuse box was and he emptied the little extingusher that you get with the camper with no success so he got out. He said he was unable to move his truck from in front of the camper as the keys were still inside. About this time the campground owner showed up with a few other campers and they started to get everyone who was standing there watching away from the area. Jay the campground owner went to the camper on one side and I went to the camper on the otherside to make sure no on was home. When I got to the door of the other camper I pounded on it and when I did not hear any response I opened the door. Thankfully no one was home, but I was met at eye level by a huge german shepard who let out a big growl and woof. All I could think was please be friendly and grabbed the dog by the collar and dragged him out of the camper. At this point the fire department was showing up. I was impressed with there response time as they were a volunteer department and the station was 3-4 miles away, the Engine got on scene with 3 personel with in ten minutes!

After the fire was out, it was determined that the local power company had a surge in its line to the campground that burnt up one of the two transformers that feed that section of the campground. They fire marshal said that the surge hit this gentlemans camper the hardest as it was at the end of that particular line.

Here are a few pictures and a short video of the incident. Sorry that I dont have any from the inception of the incident, but my priorities we with making sure everyone was safe prior to grabbing the camera.

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

The flame you see here is a full 100lb propane cylinder venting off.

IMG_0676.jpg

Now the after effects:

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

It was ten minutes from when my wife called 911 to the fire was being put out by the fire department. Is a $90 surge protector worth those ten minutes of your camping vacation?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the post. I got my surge protector today because of this.  

Was looking for a thread on surge protectors and figure this needs to be bumped

Some good news is I have noted a lot of surge arresters installed in Fort distribution panels. The ones I have seen are far better than anything you can likely buy at an RV store. Look for the boxes

1) Thankfully no one was hurt

2) The Montana 5th wheel behind the camper that was burning was just purchased Tuesday and the couple were on the first trip with it. It has lots and I do mean LOTs of heat damage to the outside, and the inside the fabric on the window covering and the computer monitor started to melt. It also had a lot of smoke damge on the inside. Hopefully the insurance is nice to them.

3) The Montana 5th wheel in the foreground has little to no heat damage.

4) The local power company was there for 3 hours after the fire replacing 2 underground transformers that they said caused the surge.

I have a $250 unit that I bought last year. That represented a lot of hours in the humid heat umpiring ball games last year, but it is worth it. It has only cut us off once, that I know of. That was during a storm last summer. As far as I'm concerned, it was worth the hours in the heat.

Holy cow! Coincidentally when we picked up our new camper yesterday, the man that did the walkaround with us recounted a similar story that had happened to him. In his case luckily he was able to catch the fire quickly enough to put it out, but he said he hasn't camped without a surge protector since!

I'm ordering ours tonight.

The cheaper ones will trip fir a power surge only, the more expensive one trip fit a surge, bug also trip if the voltage drops that us coming in to prevent damage to your electronics and a/c units

So the cheaper ones would help to prevent a fire?

BTW - are you on your phone?? I sense auto-correct! ;)

The cheaper ones will trip fir a power surge only, the more expensive one trip fit a surge, bug also trip if the voltage drops that us coming in to prevent damage to your electronics and a/c units

And from what I understand, voltage that is outside of the normal range is not uncommon, especially in older parks with dated hookups. Those swings, low or high, can do a great deal of damage to your electronics.

Hey Dave, I've looked at that unit before (actually the 30 amp version). How do you secure it so that it does not "walk away"?

The only way to secure it is to either lock it to your trailer, or lock the power box it is plugged in to. You might find a locking mechanism that encloses the connection between your umbilical and the surge protector, but I don't know if they make those.

If you're really qworried about theft, you can get these units and have them hard-wired to your TT. I've had this thing in private CG's and public, good neighborhoods and not so good. No attempt made to steal it yet. Most people wouldn't know what it was even if they noticed it, I'd bet.

Ok folks, looking for some input.

Finding a few different ones out there - prices from $70 - $300 and not sure what the differences are.

All seem to be from Surge Guard. Recommendations?

Some only watch for a surge others watch for hi/low voltage as well as check polarity before turning on. The 50 amp we bought checks everything for about 2 minutes before it turns on (proper voltage and polarity, open ground or neutral etc). If the voltage drops below 103 or exceeds 130 it turns off. Also look at the joule rating, the higher the better. The hardwired units are a little less expensive but if you buy a new unit then you have to get a new surge protector.

Also I've seen pictures of what happens if there is a lighting strike and I don't want the surge protector inside our coach. Once it is hit it isn't a pretty sight (kind of explodes) that is why we bought the portable.

Hey Dave, I've looked at that unit before (actually the 30 amp version). How do you secure it so that it does not "walk away"?

Dave, Check this out http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/surge-guard-universal-lock-hasp/44333