A Fiend Looks at Fifty-A TCD Birthday Trip Report

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s hard to believe. 50. A half century. I remember when I thought 30 was old. Then I thought 40 was old. It turns out that neither really is. But 50? There is no doubt that is old. And, I will hit t

Great Rocky pics! I especially love Tetherball Rocky! He definitely needs one at home, what a great way for him to get some exercise. I can't begin to tell you how many times that same thing has happe

Happy Birthday Andrew! I don't care if he is personable or not...that new Six Bits looks just wrong to me. He's so wrong that he's not even Bix Sits. From here on out, I am referring to him at Dip

If I remember right Disney moved the cabin out to that area to support the Marshmallow Marsh program

But that rental cabin was on the 1200 loop long after the Marshmallow Marsh activity ceased to exist.

I became a regular visitor to the Fort in the late '90's. I never heard of the Marshmallow Marsh activity at that time, as it had long since ended. But, that rental cabin was there on the 1200 loop in the late '90's.

That 1978 map shows a cabin-like structure there. I am not saying it is the same cabin that is there now, but it looks like there was a cabin there in 1978,

TCD

But that rental cabin was on the 1200 loop long after the Marshmallow Marsh activity ceased to exist.

I became a regular visitor to the Fort in the late '90's. I never heard of the Marshmallow Marsh activity at that time, as it had long since ended. But, that rental cabin was there on the 1200 loop in the late '90's.

That 1978 map shows a cabin-like structure there. I am not saying it is the same cabin that is there now, but it looks like there was a cabin there in 1978,

TCD

TCD there was a building out there when I was a CM in 88 was it the cabin I don't remember the was a million lite beers ago. I thing the Marshmallow Marsh program ended in 87.

OK- you have given me a good reason to get back to the Fort so I can write a new report.

About the cabin- this is a small part of an old Fort Wilderness map from 1978. It shows the area where the cabin is now, and refers to this area as Marshmallow Marsh. The map shows what looks like a cabin to me, as well as the old boardwalk:

Marshmallow+Marsh+Map+(1978).jpg

It bought my camper in 1999, and we started to visit the Fort several times a year then.

Before that we were pretty much cabin people, but I do recall that there was a cabin out where the current cabin is in all of my visits, including when the rental cabin was on the 1200 loop.

I have to admit that the cabin that is there now looks exactly like the one in Discamper's photo, so it probably is that cabin. Others have reported that to be the case, but this old map, and my memory say that there was a cabin out there before the rental cabin came along.

TCD

TCD,

One of the things that makes your posts so much fun to follow, is how you can dig up all the old fort stuff!!!!! What a great old map you found!! And there surely is a cabin pictured!

The more I have thought about the cabin made me realize something........even though I have been going to the fort since 1976, I dont know if I can remember really being over in that area until my boys were small and we would go fishing there, that would probably have been around 1999. I just always assumed that the cabin sitting there was the same one from the campsite.........who knew!!!!

As a side note, even though I never did Marshmallow Marsh as a kid, I remember hearing the excursions going out. We always stayed in the Big Bear Loop, and I remember being in the tent or sitting at our site and hearing all kinds of hootin and hollerin. It made me want to go too!!!! However, my folks were very thrifty and since we had/have a place on the lake with three canoes, they werent going to spend money to go on a canoe ride. Sure wish we had gone just once!

I wonder if anyone on here has any old photos of that area way back then, that would be fun to see!

As always, looking forward to the next report!!!

Heidi

I don't have a problem with it, but I don't think I will consider it a sport until they teach the deers to shoot back. :clint:

I'm with you there.

If you are going to shoot a deer, you may as well save yourself all the time and trouble and just go out in a field and shoot someone's cow.

Kudos to the chef err author. TCD has once again led us down a vivid path of Fort experiences. Thanks again.

Thanks for reading!

And posting!

I'm late again, but great report as always! Looking forward to the next one!

Not a problem.

Better late than never!

TCD there was a building out there when I was a CM in 88 was it the cabin I don't remember the was a million lite beers ago. I thing the Marshmallow Marsh program ended in 87.

A million lite beers ago?

So for you we are talking about last year.

Am I right?

Sorry to be so late to the show, but happy belated birthday Andrew!

As always, Lov'n the trip reports. :usa:

Thanks, H!

Add me to the slackers! Another great report and Happy Birthday TCD :wave1:

OK, you are on the list of slackers.

Now, what am I supposed to do with the list?

='Heidi-meetsTCD@TSM' timestamp='1318005815' post='90454']

TCD,

One of the things that makes your posts so much fun to follow, is how you can dig up all the old fort stuff!!!!! What a great old map you found!! And there surely is a cabin pictured!

The more I have thought about the cabin made me realize something........even though I have been going to the fort since 1976, I dont know if I can remember really being over in that area until my boys were small and we would go fishing there, that would probably have been around 1999. I just always assumed that the cabin sitting there was the same one from the campsite.........who knew!!!!

As a side note, even though I never did Marshmallow Marsh as a kid, I remember hearing the excursions going out. We always stayed in the Big Bear Loop, and I remember being in the tent or sitting at our site and hearing all kinds of hootin and hollerin. It made me want to go too!!!! However, my folks were very thrifty and since we had/have a place on the lake with three canoes, they werent going to spend money to go on a canoe ride. Sure wish we had gone just once!

I wonder if anyone on here has any old photos of that area way back then, that would be fun to see!

As always, looking forward to the next report!!!

Heidi

Your parents sound a lot like mine. But, at least you got to go to Fort Wilderness.

That old Marshmallow Marsh program was quite something- they would send guests off in the dark in canoes. Disney must not have had very many lawyers back then. There is no way something like that would happen now.

I don't recall ever seeing any photos of the Marshmallow Marsh event. I would like to see some too!

TCD

Thanks, Todd-

For ease of comparison, here's the photo I took of the cabin on this trip:

100_3193.jpg

It's clear that they are the same design and construction.

But, I remember that there was always a cabin out by the Wilderness Swamp Trail. This one may or may not have been moved there. I don't know for sure.

TCD

as far as i can remember TCD, the old cabin that supported the marshmellow marsh was wider then deep, and boxey. the one that is there now was one of the old rental cabins (there were two of them next to each other in the 1200 loop) if i remember right, they use to be where the two pull through sites were in the same loop.

as far as i can remember TCD, the old cabin that supported the marshmellow marsh was wider then deep, and boxey. the one that is there now was one of the old rental cabins (there were two of them next to each other in the 1200 loop) if i remember right, they use to be where the two pull through sites were in the same loop.

Thanks for the info!

I know you and the Fort go way back!

My best guess is the whatever cabin was there originally was probably pretty deteriorated, and management swapped it out with one of the rental cabins when that experiment was over.

I think you're right about the location of the drive-through spots being the same. Those cabins were definitely along that stretch of the 1200 loop.

TCD

Ok.... finally caught up. Although sad to say it was at the end. A few things....

My curiosity about the cabin is now satisfied. Although I do remember reading somewhere (not here) that there was still a very primitive cabin to be rented at the Fort..... probably just misinformation.

Doodle.... where was the hijack. I go offline for a week.. and nothing gets hijacked?

oh... and on the scott baio movie "Zapped". I am pretty sure it will never be shown at WDW, at least not without some major "edited for television". The finale has Scott's character popping off women's articles of clothing, and possibly men's as well. It has been a few years since I watched it.

Although I do remember reading somewhere (not here) that there was still a very primitive cabin to be rented at the Fort..... probably just misinformation.

Yes, that is misinformation.

There is no primitive cabin for rent at the Fort, nor has there been since the two experimental ones were removed in the late 90's/ early 00's.

oh... and on the scott baio movie "Zapped". I am pretty sure it will never be shown at WDW, at least not without some major "edited for television". The finale has Scott's character popping off women's articles of clothing, and possibly men's as well. It has been a few years since I watched it.

Men's as well?

What the Fort?

Chachi, what happened?

What would the Fonz say?

TCD

• 2 weeks later...