TCD's 2011 Food and Wine Festival Scouting Report

TCD,

Wow, what a nice surprise, I didnt expect another trip report so soon!!!!!!

I laughed out loud about the cast member at the Studios giving you wrong information about the Cars topiary!!!! We too, have encountered so many cast members that say the craziest things. I often say that if we have a true question, we have to do a "survey" and pose the question to a dozen cast members and take the top answer!!!!

Loved reading about the food and wine festival. We have never been and would like to some day.

Boy, do I wish that I was a TCD twin and got to go to Disney SO OFTEN!!!!! You guys certainly have a good time together, your girls will grow up and have countless wonderful memories!!

Looking forward to the next one!

Heidi

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember that day fondly. We were going to visit EPCOT for the F&W as well, but the rain changed our minds. We ended up going today. Right now we are enjoying a glass of the Canadian Ice Wine an

Oh my! Two posts already and I'm just catching up. The weather has got me a little sluggish. I too, am tired of all this rain. I love when it rains, but not for three days in a row. Let's see if I can

It was still raining steadily when we exited TOT. Was it really going to rain all day. It had lightened just a bit, to just a drizzle, when we were walking in to Indiana Jones. But, it had picked up t

Ah, man, I'm sorry I missed you!

How many beer mugs did you have around your waist?

I'm glad I didn't see you after LSU stomped on the Gators. You probably would have rubbed it in. I know I would have if the result had been the opposite. I didn't watch the game, but they replay it on the Sunsports network here. I started to watch it last night, and oh boy was it bad! I think the Gators went three and out on their first two possessions, and the Tigers scored touchdowns on theirs.

I hope you do post a little report for us.

If not, at least tell me if you found anything really good to eat. I'm hoping to go back and would love to try some new items.

TCD

Yeah it would of been nice to catch up, and I wouldn't have rubbed it in too bad! lol

I'm getting ready to post a quick report from my September trip and then hopefully I'll get to this past trip soon.

One suggestion I have is to get a Passport, they give them out at the DVC booth in the world showcase. They just started this last year I think but its a good way of tracking what you've already tried. It has every country listed with everything they offer and you can get a stamp in each country.

I'll check my passport when I get home and let you know if we tried anything new that was good, honestly I can't remember right now.

WBI

Dave, how come you didn't go on the CM preview day?

It wasn't officially open to the public so no lines at all.

I made it half way around before I was done.

We had every intention to go on the CM preview. The only problem is that every time there is a cool CM only event happening, DW has to work. So we had to miss it. If I could have gone by myself, I would have been there, but you need to have a CM with you to partake.

You were lucky to miss both the rain and the crowds!

So, what has been your favorite food so far?

I have not tried any of the wine- do you have any that you would suggest?

I love asian food. I side effect of living in Japan for 4 years and Korea for 2. So I tend to gravitate to those booths. The China booth was good with the black pepper shrimp and pot stickers. But the lobster roll from hops and barley was equaly as good. I would be remiss if I didnt mention the amazing pumkin mousse there too. The shrimp cake in singapore was so so as was the sushi in Japan (Ive had better). The worst thing we had that day was the Kefta Pocket in Morocco. BLAH. Then there is the ever so popular Belgium waffles. Always a must for us. The white chocolate macadamia mousse at the desserts and champaign booth was our finishing treat and worth the wait.

BUT

The best thing there, IMHO, is a tie. Between the Maple and Moosehead beer-glazed salmon and the Lobster and scallops fishermans pie in Ireland. Both were amazing and was the two things we had to get seconds of because the servings were just too small for both of us to fully enjoy. These are MUST tries for anyone visiting F&W.

As for the wine, I am not a big wine person. I have to really like the wine and it has to be sweet, not dry. Just so you know what kind of wine I drink. BUT, the Neige Bubble or the Niege Premier in Canada is very very good. Its a sparkling apple wine and not dry at all. It has a sweet taste and no after taste. We happened to get the last bottle they had and the CM claimed they have been having trouble keeping it in stock. The resorted to only putting so many out a day to ration thier stock so it lasts the entire time. You cannot buy it anywhere in the US except F&W. If you want to try it, its $20 a bottle and I suggest you get to the Festival Welcome Center early on to get a bottle. They will hold your purchase for you until you are ready to leave the park. If you didnt know, the welcome center is over by Ellens Energy and Mission Space. They have allot in there if you havnt checked it out.

If I could have gone by myself, I would have been there, but you need to have a CM with you to partake.

Don't know about this event because it was a special deal, but I'm assuming that your name is on DW's main gate pass so that you can get in and bring guests without her being there?

Well, this is a new low. I don't think I've ever missed a trip report until after it was already over. I'm so ashamed.

However, I'm awfully glad you went and that we got a new view of a rainy F & W day. Glad you had a fun day with the twins.

Looking forward to your next report as I wait on our spring break trip! (And yes, the cruise is still on too. Can't wait for that too!)

Leslie

We'll be having our own 'go round the world' on Nov. 6 when our son turns 21. I'm hoping without too many mugs :beer:hanging from his waist!

Jeanne

That's the day we have to check out of The Fort. :'( Hope he enjoys his trip! :jumpforjoy

TCD,

Wow, what a nice surprise, I didnt expect another trip report so soon!!!!!!

I laughed out loud about the cast member at the Studios giving you wrong information about the Cars topiary!!!! We too, have encountered so many cast members that say the craziest things. I often say that if we have a true question, we have to do a "survey" and pose the question to a dozen cast members and take the top answer!!!!

Loved reading about the food and wine festival. We have never been and would like to some day.

Boy, do I wish that I was a TCD twin and got to go to Disney SO OFTEN!!!!! You guys certainly have a good time together, your girls will grow up and have countless wonderful memories!!

Looking forward to the next one!

Heidi

Heidi-

Thanks for posting! With all your posts lately, you may make it to ten posts by the end of the year!

I have mentioned before that I have kind have accelerated the father/daughter stuff lately. My girls are juniors this year. In a couple of months, we are going to do the college tour thing. A year from now, they will know where they have been accepted, and then it's adios to the old man.

Once my nest is empty, I may be looking for some new "daughters" to adopt. I'll put you on the list.

Yeah it would of been nice to catch up, and I wouldn't have rubbed it in too bad! lol

I'm getting ready to post a quick report from my September trip and then hopefully I'll get to this past trip soon.

One suggestion I have is to get a Passport, they give them out at the DVC booth in the world showcase. They just started this last year I think but its a good way of tracking what you've already tried. It has every country listed with everything they offer and you can get a stamp in each country.

I'll check my passport when I get home and let you know if we tried anything new that was good, honestly I can't remember right now.

WBI

Thanks, Nick.

I have heard about the passports, but didn't know what they were. Back in the day, I remember purchasing passports for the girls, which they got stamped as we visited each country. I figured they were something like this. I didn't know they had the food choices listed. I could have used something like that. Especially if it was more waterproof than the guide maps.

I love asian food. I side effect of living in Japan for 4 years and Korea for 2. So I tend to gravitate to those booths. The China booth was good with the black pepper shrimp and pot stickers. But the lobster roll from hops and barley was equaly as good. I would be remiss if I didnt mention the amazing pumkin mousse there too. The shrimp cake in singapore was so so as was the sushi in Japan (Ive had better). The worst thing we had that day was the Kefta Pocket in Morocco. BLAH. Then there is the ever so popular Belgium waffles. Always a must for us. The white chocolate macadamia mousse at the desserts and champaign booth was our finishing treat and worth the wait.

BUT

The best thing there, IMHO, is a tie. Between the Maple and Moosehead beer-glazed salmon and the Lobster and scallops fishermans pie in Ireland. Both were amazing and was the two things we had to get seconds of because the servings were just too small for both of us to fully enjoy. These are MUST tries for anyone visiting F&W.

As for the wine, I am not a big wine person. I have to really like the wine and it has to be sweet, not dry. Just so you know what kind of wine I drink. BUT, the Neige Bubble or the Niege Premier in Canada is very very good. Its a sparkling apple wine and not dry at all. It has a sweet taste and no after taste. We happened to get the last bottle they had and the CM claimed they have been having trouble keeping it in stock. The resorted to only putting so many out a day to ration thier stock so it lasts the entire time. You cannot buy it anywhere in the US except F&W. If you want to try it, its $20 a bottle and I suggest you get to the Festival Welcome Center early on to get a bottle. They will hold your purchase for you until you are ready to leave the park. If you didnt know, the welcome center is over by Ellens Energy and Mission Space. They have allot in there if you havnt checked it out.

Thanks, Dave!

That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Having had bad salmon before, I had no interest in trying the salmon at Canada. But now I will. Also, I would not have thought that the fisherman's pie in Ireland would be very good. I will be looking for that on my next trip, too.

Well, this is a new low. I don't think I've ever missed a trip report until after it was already over. I'm so ashamed.

However, I'm awfully glad you went and that we got a new view of a rainy F & W day. Glad you had a fun day with the twins.

Looking forward to your next report as I wait on our spring break trip! (And yes, the cruise is still on too. Can't wait for that too!)

Leslie

Don't feel bad, Leslie. This TR began and ended in two days.

Thanks for checking in.

I think your gang would love the F&W Festival.

After your current trips, you ought to plan for a Fall visit!

Once again I loved coming along on your trip. I have never been to the Food and Wine Festival. It is on my list of things I want to do at Disney. I have always heard such wonderful things about it.

I'm glad it's on your list!

This is my favorite special event at WDW. I like it much better than the Flower and Garden festival.

TCD, Thanks for the trip around the world. We'll be having our own 'go round the world' on Nov. 6 when our son turns 21. I'm hoping without too many mugs :beer:hanging from his waist!

Your girls are awfully lucky to have a Dad that likes hanging with them as much as you do. Sweet.

Jeanne

That sounds like a fun trip!

Make sure to take some photos of the beer mugs on your son's belt! I hope he doesn't have as many as the guy I met, but I hope he at least has a couple!

Will y'all be at the Fort for that trip?

TCD

We had every intention to go on the CM preview. The only problem is that every time there is a cool CM only event happening, DW has to work. So we had to miss it. If I could have gone by myself, I would have been there, but you need to have a CM with you to partake.

BUT

I forgot about the fisherman's pie, that was the first thing we tried and it was great! I agree that was one of the best things there. Another suprising thing we liked was the sausage in Canada, it came with a corn puree, CP didn't care for the sausage but loved the corn puree stuff, I really liked both. We also tried the sparkling apple wine, and really liked it. I thought it was strange how samll the sample was, but I wonder if it was because they were rationing it. I actually had quite a few castmembers ask how we liked it.

TCD I forgot to mention that the Food & Wine passports are FREE! And yes they were a little better waterproof than the maps.

Oh and I didn't have any of the beer mugs, all my beer was in a plastic cup not to exciting. :(

WBI

Hey Andrew Guess what!!!! you can buy the SuperTramp Greatest hits album for $5 today on Amazon!!!

http://www.amazon.co...8512824&sr=1-12

LOL!

You made me look.

That is a pretty good deal! Fifteen songs for five bucks!

I am going to pass though.

Until last Saturday, I hadn't thought about Supertramp in a long time. And now I am not going to be thinking about them for a long time again.

I forgot about the fisherman's pie, that was the first thing we tried and it was great! I agree that was one of the best things there. Another suprising thing we liked was the sausage in Canada, it came with a corn puree, CP didn't care for the sausage but loved the corn puree stuff, I really liked both. We also tried the sparkling apple wine, and really liked it. I thought it was strange how samll the sample was, but I wonder if it was because they were rationing it. I actually had quite a few castmembers ask how we liked it.

TCD I forgot to mention that the Food & Wine passports are FREE! And yes they were a little better waterproof than the maps.

Oh and I didn't have any of the beer mugs, all my beer was in a plastic cup not to exciting. :(

WBI

OK- now I have to go back for the fisherman's pie. While I'm at it, I'll stop by Canada for the salmon and the chicken sausage.

And I'll pick up a passport.

And, I am already one up on you with my one beer mug. I only have 20 or so left to complete my collection.

TCD

Don't know about this event because it was a special deal, but I'm assuming that your name is on DW's main gate pass so that you can get in and bring guests without her being there?

Yes I can use her main gate pass to get in, but for that particular day it was "free" if the CM was there. You even had to use the main entrance (not IG) if you didnt want to be charged a day. Im not sure if I could have eaten at the F&W without her, but I just stayed home as I couldnt find anyone who wanted to go. Everyone I work with are pansies and dont like driving out this way to do stuff.

Thanks, Dave!

That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Having had bad salmon before, I had no interest in trying the salmon at Canada. But now I will. Also, I would not have thought that the fisherman's pie in Ireland would be very good. I will be looking for that on my next trip, too.

TCD

Glad I could help. We paln on taking another trip over there this weekend to try some of the stuff we missed. For F&W we skip the rides and concentrate on the food. So we should be able to get most of everything.

Heidi-

Thanks for posting! With all your posts lately, you may make it to ten posts by the end of the year!

I have mentioned before that I have kind have accelerated the father/daughter stuff lately. My girls are juniors this year. In a couple of months, we are going to do the college tour thing. A year from now, they will know where they have been accepted, and then it's adios to the old man.

Once my nest is empty, I may be looking for some new "daughters" to adopt. I'll put you on the list.

Thanks, Nick.

I have heard about the passports, but didn't know what they were. Back in the day, I remember purchasing passports for the girls, which they got stamped as we visited each country. I figured they were something like this. I didn't know they had the food choices listed. I could have used something like that. Especially if it was more waterproof than the guide maps.

Thanks, Dave!

Don't feel bad, Leslie. This TR began and ended in two days.

Thanks for checking in.

I think your gang would love the F&W Festival.

After your current trips, you ought to plan for a Fall visit!

I'm glad it's on your list!

This is my favorite special event at WDW. I like it much better than the Flower and Garden festival.

That sounds like a fun trip!

Make sure to take some photos of the beer mugs on your son's belt! I hope he doesn't have as many as the guy I met, but I hope he at least has a couple!

Will y'all be at the Fort for that trip?

TCD

Oh you betcha!! Somehow this has become an annual tradition (at least for the last 3 years). The fall is the best time for camping. We're going to see the leaves next wk at Shenandoah St. Park in VA. and then clean up the camper for the big trip to the Fort.

Jeanne

We were there Tuesday, and out of all the food you tried and all the food we tried, not a bit of it was the same. I guess we didn't try the right things! Of course were working off of a $125 Disney Rewards Redemption card, so about $30 of it was spent on slushies from France. Maybe that affected our food decision making...

but I just stayed home as I couldnt find anyone who wanted to go.

See Dave, you just don't spend enough time on here. I posted an open invitation to anyone that wanted to tag along for that event. Two people took me up on the offer and I had one spot left. That could have been you.

A gal goes a day or two without checking in and look what happens. A new TCD report. Serves me right.

First things first...

Oh dear God....please no.

Amen Dave. Amen. I see your "Oh dear God .... please no!" and raise you one.

Yes.

The photo will be coming right up.

But, in deference to your intolerance, I made sure not to be photographed eating the sausage.

TCD

Whew! Prayer works.

But I did have a back up plan just in case Dave's and my prayer didn't work out... a certain video. You know what I'm talking about. ;D

Now to my comments.

An anti-poncho TCD twin? I love it!

ToT spoiler. Love that too. It's a little creepy but I like it.

Group photos with guidos. :rofl2:

I agree… Andrenika is a hoot! ;D

A greedy craisin guy? That’s just not right. What torture to see all those craisins and yet not be offered any. Tsk Tsk Tsk to the craisin dude.

Great report TCD. As usual ... I love it.

Glad I could help. We paln on taking another trip over there this weekend to try some of the stuff we missed. For F&W we skip the rides and concentrate on the food. So we should be able to get most of everything.

Great! Let me know if you find any other winners. I was hoping that we could sneak over again this weekend, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Maybe next weekend.

Oh you betcha!! Somehow this has become an annual tradition (at least for the last 3 years). The fall is the best time for camping. We're going to see the leaves next wk at Shenandoah St. Park in VA. and then clean up the camper for the big trip to the Fort.

Jeanne

Sounds perfect! Hopefully you will bring some of that cool Fall weather with you.

We were there Tuesday, and out of all the food you tried and all the food we tried, not a bit of it was the same. I guess we didn't try the right things! Of course were working off of a $125 Disney Rewards Redemption card, so about $30 of it was spent on slushies from France. Maybe that affected our food decision making...

I noticed there were a lot of slushie offerings this year. I believe it was in front of the America pavilion that they had a Jim Beam Lemonade stand. That didn't sound too inviting on a rainy evening, but I think I will get one of those before F & W ends. I have never tried any of the slushies in France, but I sure have heard a lot about them. I'll have to take a look at those next time as well.

See Dave, you just don't spend enough time on here. I posted an open invitation to anyone that wanted to tag along for that event. Two people took me up on the offer and I had one spot left. That could have been you.

What?!

I don't remember seeing an open invite!

(Not that I would have gone- I think this fell on my birthday.)

So who were the lucky two?

Amen Dave. Amen. I see your "Oh dear God .... please no!" and raise you one.

Whew! Prayer works.

But I did have a back up plan just in case Dave's and my prayer didn't work out... a certain video. You know what I'm talking about. ;D

Video?

I'm not sure I do know what you are talking about.

Is it St_r B_ _ ty?

(Let me know if you want to buy a vowel)

If that's not it, then I am going to need a clue from you!

ToT spoiler. Love that too. It's a little creepy but I like it.

I'm glad you liked it!

I know it's no Snickering Rabbit Room, but I thought it was cool to see the elevator shaft with the lights on.

Thanks for reading!

And your comments!

TCD

What?!

I don't remember seeing an open invite!

(Not that I would have gone- I think this fell on my birthday.)

So who were the lucky two?

Yup, it was on here, for up to 3 people.

I did stipulate that there was a down side. The takers might have to hang out with me.

Monique said that she might be able to deal with that.

The people that took me up on the offer were not Fiends and they did stay with us anyways.

I didnt want to take that experience away from someone else. I also figured the offer had been used up by the time we found out DW had to work.

Great! Let me know if you find any other winners. I was hoping that we could sneak over again this weekend, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Maybe next weekend.

Ill let ya know if anything else tickles my tastebuds.....

Video?

I'm not sure I do know what you are talking about.

Is it St_r B_ _ ty?

(Let me know if you want to buy a vowel)

If that's not it, then I am going to need a clue from you!

I'm glad you liked it!

I know it's no Snickering Rabbit Room, but I thought it was cool to see the elevator shaft with the lights on.

Thanks for reading!

And your comments!

TCD

Something tells me you are only pretending not know what I am talking about. ... I don't think any vowel purchases are necessary. ;D

The ToT spoiler is much better than the Snickering Rabbit room. Afterall I didn't actually get inside. But I did outwit a CM.

Of course I am reading. How could I not? This is a TCD report afterall.

I'm a star! You're a star!!

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: