WBI’s Low Key Riverside Report

Hey everybody, sorry I’ve been slacking here on FortFiends but it looks like I’m going to keep on slacking for a while longer. The rest of the year looks to be a busy one, with work and the upcoming wedding. I’ve found myself two reports behind on our DisneyWorld visits, neither trip was at the Fort but I thought I would share them anyway.

This report is from our Labor Day weekend, September 3rd to 5th trip, we were able to get a great Passholder rate at Port Orleans – Riverside. If you remember TCD had just taken a trip there himself and wrote a very thorough report about it. My report is going to be much less than his and shouldn’t take that long, sorry I slacked on pictures this trip.

Let’s get to it!

We started our trip late, as in a day late, my CP (that’s camping princess) had a very important appointment on Saturday so we didn’t get to leave as we normally do on Friday. CP and her mother had to go to her final dress fitting, yup “the dress” her wedding dress, so I couldn’t complain about leaving late (I tried to anyway). We were able to get to Riverside Saturday afternoon with no problems, and were checking-in in no time. We were lucky enough to score a Magnolia Bend newly remodeled room. I had wanted to stay on this side of the resort for a while now, and I’m happy to report that we really liked it. The buildings are all modeled after plantation style homes with nice garden and pool areas. I can’t remember our building name but it was very conveniently located near Old Man Island. Here are some pics of the new rooms:

IMAG1027.jpg

IMAG1028.jpg

IMAG1029.jpg

I think one upgrade they did was replace the full size beds with Queen Size, they were pretty nice too!

IMAG1026.jpg

IMAG1030.jpg

IMAG1031.jpg

IMAG1032.jpg

After getting settled we took a walk around and headed to the River Roost.

IMAG1033.jpg

IMAG1034.jpg

We’ve heard for years about Bob at the River Roost Bar at Riverside and after seeing TCD’s report we wanted to check it out. Plus LSU was going to be kicking off their season against Oregon that night and I wanted to see it! So we got there early and settled into a good seat at the bar.

IMAG1036.jpg

Not sure why I took this napking picture...

IMAG1035.jpg

While we waited we tried two app’s they have on the menu, popcorn crawfish and the nachos, they were both pretty good. Plus they had Louisiana beer on tap, Abita Beer! By the wait the bartenders were great, real friendly and talkative.

I should also mention that we met this nice couple that lived a couple hours away and stay at Riverside pretty regularly. We asked them about Bob and they were disappointed to find out he was playing that night. They said he was way too loud and not how they liked to enjoy a bar, they didn’t seem to be snobby people and seemed pretty normal so we were surprised by they weren’t fans.

But the bartenders assured us we would like Bob and sure enough it wasn’t long before Bob showed up oh and the LSU game kicked off. Now considering I wanted to watch LSU beat up on some Ducks I have to agree Bob was loud BUT he was a great entertainer, he kept the crowd going and was very funny. Bob never took a break through the first half of the game.

I also need to add that it was around this time that I got a bad phone call; my grandmother had gone into the hospital. They weren’t exactly sure what was wrong at first but she was having heart and lung problems which got worse overnight. We weren’t sure if we were going to fly to Louisiana the next day or what we would do, but for the time being, both of my grandparents and parents told me not worry about anything yet and continue our trip. So with our mood a little down we kept going and kept checking in on the phone all weekend.

After a few phone calls, at half time we decided to take the boat downtown to another place. We decided on the House of Blues, one of my favorites. We actually didn’t get there until the end of the third quarter of the LSU game, and LSU was now way ahead! Geaux Tigers! We stayed at the HOB watching the game and listening to live blues music until the game was over. It was a nice place to watch LSU dominate the ducks AND listen to blues! Then we caught a bus back to Riverside to turn in for the night. This was the start of our long waits for Disney transportation, I’d say that this was the worst weekend we have ever had for Disney transportation. At Downtown Disney we waited in a big line for a long time and then didn’t make it on the first bus, the second bus didn’t come any faster either, it was pretty dang late by the time we made it back.

Next up is Sunday morning in Epcot...

Sunday morning we got up and ready and headed over to Epcot. Here's some pictures on the way out of Riverside:

IMAG1037.jpg

IMAG1038.jpg

My CP had made a reservation for the Norway princess breakfast…no I’m not kidding… We didn’t make it in time for rope drop but we grabbed a fast past and headed over to breakfast. We checked in and were happy to see we weren’t the only young couple with no kids there, there was actually quite a few around.

IMAG1039.jpg

IMAG1042.jpg

When you arrive they direct you to a line to take a picture with a princess, today it was Belle, she was in her big formal gown and looked beautiful, but it was so big we couldn’t really get that close to her so we ended up with a very awkward picture with her, lol.

IMAG1043.jpg

IMAG1044.jpg

The food was ok, definitely on the bottom end of Disney food. They have a buffet set up with pastries and bagel fixins, and fruit, then they bring you a platter of hot food to your table. I didn’t get why they didn’t just have a full buffet? I guess the place is too small? The platter didn’t give you too many options but I guess most people are there for princesses. The princesses did come around and take pictures, with some actually taking the time to talk, but not as good at 1900 Park Fare.

IMAG1046.jpg

IMAG1047.jpg

IMAG1048.jpg

IMAG1050.jpg

IMAG1051.jpg

IMAG1052.jpg

I have to say after having gone to numerous character breakfasts at Disney this is my least favorite of all. Don’t get me wrong I know it would be good if you have a little princess in the family but it was real expensive and not that great of food for us. They do include 4 copies of the picture we took with Belle in the price of the buffet (which was crazy high) but if we had the choice I would have chosen not to get the awkward picture and save the money. Regardless the experience supplied us with some good laughs and we still had a great time!

After breakfast we rode Soarin! Soarin is one of our favorites but lately we’ve been noticing how dirty the film is. At first we thought it was just us, but then I saw people saying the same thing online and I’ve heard people exiting the ride say the same thing. It’s gotten to the point that I struggle not to stare at the stuff on the film now. Is it really that hard to clean???

After Soarin we toured around Epcot a little taking these pictures along the way.

IMAG1055.jpg

CP wanted me to take this picture to show how much effort Disney puts in to things. This is a pic of a rolling planter that’s hiding a Food & Wine area.

IMAG1058.jpg

IMAG1054.jpg

IMAG1053.jpg

IMAG1059.jpg

IMAG1060.jpg

We eventually made our way into Mexico and rode the ride there, these pictures really didn't come out good but they are of the ruins inside:

IMAG1064.jpg

After hanging at Epcot a while we headed back to Riverside. We once again had a long wait for a bus. But once we got back we checked in with the family and just hung out at the resort. We went to the pool and enjoyed the atmosphere, very relaxing.

We eventually got going and decided to head to Magic Kingdom, as we were walking to the bus stop it started to rain, so we headed for the lobby for ponchos.

We are Pro-Poncho! BUT there was a huge line and not much rain so we risked it and hopped a bus with no poncho. By the time we got to MK the rain was gone, awesome.

Here's some decorations that were up, I think this was the first weekend of Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party:

IMAG1065.jpg

IMAG1065.jpg

After we walked in though I started getting calls from the family, things weren’t going so good with Grandma. We didn’t feel much like riding rides, we ate a little something at Cosmic Rays where we had never eaten before (we still prefer Pecos Bills), and then we decided that we didn’t want to be in MK with all the crowds so we headed out.

IMAG1067.jpg

IMAG1068.jpg

IMAG1069.jpg

After trying to get a photo together in front of the decorations for quite a while we were finally able to grab a friendly castmember that helped us out. That reminds me in case you haven’t noticed all the pictures have been with my phone. I typically carry a camera and no phone in Disney but due to the circumstances I carried a phone and no camera this trip.

IMAG1078.jpg

IMAG1079.jpg

IMAG1070.jpg

IMAG1071.jpg

IMAG1072.jpg

Next up its only around 8pm where should we go????

Now it was around 8pm and we didn’t feel like doing much but didn’t want to go to the room. So we decided to hop the monorail and head to the Polynesian. The plan was to watch Wishes from the beach. Good plan right? I thought so, only problem was: the monorail. The first wait wasn’t that long, it came we boarded, it was packed. We squeezed in though and it wasn’t long before we pulled out of the station. But guess what, we stopped before reaching the Contemporary… great. Then we stopped at the Contemporary, no one got off, more people wanted on. Lol At TTC people got off and I was able to breathe again.

At the Poly we went to the bar by Ohana and got a drink, we tried to get the desert from Ohana but they wouldn’t sell it to us. What the Fort, it’s only available at Ohana.

IMAG1080.jpg

Then we headed out to the beach, grabbed some pool towels and two loungers and settled in. We saw part of the Electric Water Pageant and enjoyed the quiet times for a while. Then just as the fireworks were going to start, the area got crowded and our peaceful spot got louder. Oh well what can you expect it’s Disney.

IMAG1086.jpg

IMAG1090.jpg

We really enjoyed Wishes from the beach sorry I didn't get any pictures, it was a nice alternative to the crowded MK! Once they were over we had to figure out how to get back to Riverside. The monorail was quickly eliminated after that last trip, but every other option was going to take a long time also. So instead we walked over to the TTC taxi stand, got a cab and were back at riverside in 10 minutes for around 10 dollars! Sweet! Once back to the room, we checked in with the family, grandma was in ICU but was stable. That was good news.

The next morning we got up and took a jog/walk around the resort, it was real nice out. We ended up at French Quarter where we had some fresh beignets. Yum! Before we knew it was time to check out. Normally we check out and head to a park, but today we just weren’t in the mood. We headed to Downtown Disney where we normally do some shopping but it was so crowded we gave up and headed home, and that’s our quick low key trip to Disney World.

An update on Grandma, she is doing much better, I was able to fly home on Sept. 7th and as I was walking in the waiting room she was getting out of the ICU so I was able to really visit with her. Her health improved enough that they operated a week later and replaced her defibrillator with a newer model that helps control her heartbeat (more like a pacemaker). She’s doing much better.

On a side note I posted some pictures about a year ago from my first visit to the Fort in 1983. Those pictures were with my grandparents and their camper. They have camped all their life, all over North America and still say that the Fort is the best campground they’ve ever been to. They still camp too, well they haven’t been since September, but they have their campsite booked for my wedding in November. They are planning to camp at Grayton Beach State Park near Seaside, FL!

To wrap things up a bit, this wasn’t our normal whirlwind Disney trip full of park hopping but it goes to show you that there are tons of option at DisneyWorld, even when its super crowded you can get away and enjoy other things that are unique to the World! That is also true in my next report from this past weekend, a little teaser, we splurged on the Yacht Club for the Food & Wine Festival and it rained a lot! I should be coming out soon.

WBI

Great mini report. I agree that there are so many options at WDW, everyone should take the time to enjoy them, without running from park to park. Good for you and CP to take some time to relax.

Glad to hear Grandma is doing well! I'm sure she's looking forward to the big day. :)

Ya, nice mini trip report and all that, if it were real.

I think we're being had. This is a hoax.

Has anyone ever met WBI, no!

Until someone actually meets him, I'm not buying into it. I think it's TCD's alter ego.

You and the princess need to show yourselves at the Fort on Halloween weekend, if you're real that is.

Glad your grandmother is doing better! And thank you for posting the report...it was a lot of fun to read.

The only thing I want to comment on is...that has GOT to be the creepiest Snow White I've ever seen. Yikes! :o

I thought too Dave but being a newbie I didn't know if I would get in trouble for calling a princess well to be honest pretty darn ugly!

Glad your grandmother is doing better! And thank you for posting the report...it was a lot of fun to read.

The only thing I want to comment on is...that has GOT to be the creepiest Snow White I've ever seen. Yikes! :o

I thought too Dave but being a newbie I didn't know if I would get in trouble for calling a princess well to be honest pretty darn ugly!

Y'all are right. Actually, all of those princess's look a tad off.

Thanks for the tr. I agree with Lou, we'd love to see y'all over Halloween!

Great mini report. I agree that there are so many options at WDW, everyone should take the time to enjoy them, without running from park to park. Good for you and CP to take some time to relax.

Glad to hear Grandma is doing well! I'm sure she's looking forward to the big day. :)

Thanks!

I agree we try to enjoy the resorts and other little things more and more each trip.

Even a quick trip can be enjoyable! Glad that your Grandmother is doing better and is going to go camping again!

Thank you!

I agree, and its a good thing because it looks like all we have are quick trips for the next few months.

Until someone actually meets him, I'm not buying into it. I think it's TCD's alter ego.

You and the princess need to show yourselves at the Fort on Halloween weekend, if you're real that is.

Hmm alter ego??

I was going to say that I've met TCD before but if I am TCD then that wouldn't work now would it?

I guess I'll have to see what I can do about Halloween weekend so I can prove myself. Its not looking good though, that's two weeks before the wedding and things might be a little hecktic around here. I'll have to talk to the boss about it.

Very nice TR. So glad your grandma is doing better and Congratulations on your wedding!

Thank you, thank you and thank you! We're ready for the wedding to be here!

Thanks Dave!

I thought you would like that Snow White picture.

I agree though she was a bit off, not just her looks she seemed a bit odd when talking to her, then again she was in character and talked about living with 7 dwarfs...

I fully agree with ya'll those princesses weren't the best, do they put the second string princesses here and the starters in Cinderella's castle?

I am glad to hear your grandma is doing better. I really enjoyed your quick trip. I love hearing about all these other things to do at Disney besides just the parks. It gives me ideas for future trips.

Thank you!

Yeah there are tons of things to do outside the parks and this website is a great place to find ideas!

Y'all are right. Actually, all of those princess's look a tad off.

Thanks for the tr. I agree with Lou, we'd love to see y'all over Halloween!

Thanks!

We would love to come up for Halloween, I'm going to start convincing the CP that we should do a quick day trip!

Great job, WBI.

Fantastic narrative and photos!

It wasn't fair to have the CP put all of those princesses to shame like that.

Of course they look a little "off" when they have to pose next to a real princess!

I'm glad that your grandmother is on the mend, and will be attending your wedding. As you know, I love Grayton Beach!

The rooms in the Magnolia Bend section of POR Riverside look very nice.

A couple of comments on the comments:

I can see why you would think this, Lou.

Nick aka WBI is just like a young TCD.

As Nick confirms below, we did meet up on the 4th of July at the Fort. So, I can confirm that he and the CP are the real deal. I should have snapped a photo.

Hmm alter ego??

I was going to say that I've met TCD before but if I am TCD then that wouldn't work now would it?

I guess I'll have to see what I can do about Halloween weekend so I can prove myself. Its not looking good though, that's two weeks before the wedding and things might be a little hecktic around here. I'll have to talk to the boss about it.

Well, Nick, the only way to resolve this is for you and the CP to show over Halloween weekend. I am trying to get there myself.

Then we can show Lou that you are for real.

TCD

Great job, WBI.

Fantastic narrative and photos!

It wasn't fair to have the CP put all of those princesses to shame like that.

Of course they look a little "off" when they have to pose next to a real princess!

I'm glad that your grandmother is on the mend, and will be attending your wedding. As you know, I love Grayton Beach!

The rooms in the Magnolia Bend section of POR Riverside look very nice.

A couple of comments on the comments:

I can see why you would think this, Lou.

Nick aka WBI is just like a young TCD.

As Nick confirms below, we did meet up on the 4th of July at the Fort. So, I can confirm that he and the CP are the real deal. I should have snapped a photo.

Well, Nick, the only way to resolve this is for you and the CP to show over Halloween weekend. I am trying to get there myself.

Then we can show Lou that you are for real.

TCD

Thanks TCD!

You know your probably right, the Camping Princess raised the bar way to high for those other princessess, they didn't stand a chance.

Wow just like a young TCD? Thanks but I don't think my reports are there yet.

As for Halloween, I've started working on figuring out how we can get up there that weekend. I can't have Lou doubting us!

WBI

Nice try. You & Nick say you've met.

Do you see anything wrong with this logic?

Has anyone seen the both of you at the same time, NO?

I rest my case.

Should have snapped a photo, can we say Photoshop?

Would you like to see a photo of you & the so called Nick together?

I rest my case.

To add to the Wannabe TCD conspiracy theory, have you noticed that "both" of them recently made a trip to Port Orleans - and "both" posted a TR about it?

Great TR!! Thank you for giving me my WDW fix this morning! I'm finally in the double digits of my vacation countdown. I cannot wait!! :jumpforjoy

Thanks!

Are you getting closer to your trip now?!

I rest my case.

Still don't believe us huh Lou?

I'm still working on getting there for Halloween, maybe then you believe. haha

Love the report Wannabe! Your CP outshined all of the other princesses. The photos don't lie.

I'm so glad your Grandma is doing better. :)

Thank you!

To add to the Wannabe TCD conspiracy theory, have you noticed that "both" of them recently made a trip to Port Orleans - and "both" posted a TR about it?

That's true and we were both at F&W the same weekend.

My report is coming up soon.

Nice report

Thanks!

That's right, good memory Ed.

I guess I'm going to have provide some more evidence.

WBI