DaveInTN's Grin-n-Bear It, On-The-Loose Fall Weekend Trip Report NOW COMPLETE

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I see Anna, I can't help but think what a wonderful life you've given her. I can only imagine what would have been in store for her if you hadn't made her a part of your family.

She is being exposed to things now that she probably could have never dreamed of in her home country.

Good on you, Dave. :bravo:

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I was about to type the exact same thought. Ditto!!!

Thanks, but all the glory is God's. We just put our faith in Him, and He made it all happen. She is such a blessing!

What a wonderful trip report the girls look like they has a great time on the slide I love the shots of Anna in the slide they looked like shots of fear and fun. We still have not planned anything for next year and a Tn GG would look like a good trip. Any love the trip report you take great pictures.

I don't think she knew quite what to make of that slide the first time down. But then she was hooked and we couldn't get her away from it.

Gatlinburg is known for having the 1st 4th of July parade every year. That means thier parade starts in Downtown at 12:01 am. It's a huge event with big balloons, marching bands and the whole nine yards. People start setting up thier folding chairs along the parade route around noon to save them a good spot. Unfortunatley, we could not keep the kids up that late to attend and I figured parking and getting out of there would be a nightmare at 2am (crowds...ugh). I would like to see it once though. People who stay at hotels in town would be the easiest way since they could walk back.

Sounds very cool. But I doubt we'll ever make it. I can't even make it to midnight on New Years Eve.

Heck, I like the sounds of a Gattlinburg GG next year. it is only a 10.5 hour drive right down 81 for us! With a little planning and with the right timing, it just might be doable.

Oh and Dave any diet that does not include beer, is just torture plan and simple!! Fort or no Fort, I dont know if I could do it.

C'mon down Bill! I promise I'll be drinking beer by then. Heck, I'll be drinking beer by this weekend.

Great trip report Dave. Looks like everyone is having a great time.

Thanks for reading along!

I love the slide pictures! It looks like so much fun! Great trip report so far!!!

Thank you Holly. I should have another update up tomorrow morning.

Been away from FF for a while (sob!), but I had to get my TR fix -- and this one's fantastic! Absolutely love, love this pic:

P1020112.JPG

That's a keeper!

Curious about the low-carb thing -- doesn't it make you really tired not having carbs at all?

Love the TR, Dave. Always love seeing your family together having fun!

Curious about the low-carb thing -- doesn't it make you really tired not having carbs at all?

Not for us...although for someone on the typical American diet heavy on simple carbs, it can take several days to work through the "fog" while your body adjusts to burning fat instead of burning through all of the glucose and other sugars that you consume. After a few days of adjustment, I find that I feel so much more energenic. The problem with simple carbs like sugar, white breads, and processed foods, is that they send your body's insulin levels up and down quickly, which triggers a hunger mechanism quickly after you've burned through them. It's a vicious cycle. And remember, on a good low carb diet you aren't eating "no" carbs. Lots of veggies, which are carbs plus fiber. The "no carb" conception I think came from the Atkins diet, which in it's first phase eliminates ALL carbs. Most low carb plans, like South Beach, eliminate most carbs in the first two weeks...but not veggies. And after two weeks, you add back the healthy complex carbs, like fruits, whole grains, brown rice, things like that.

I had a lot of comments to make but then someone said edamame and I think I had a small blackout! ;D

Seriously, I think a GG in the Smokies would be fantasticall! :banana: Great TR Dave! The photos of the girls flying down the slide of death were awesome!

Don't feel too bad about being distracted by a festival... it happens to the best of us.

Final comment: I agree with some of the others. I was afraid you were going to say corn hole. Phew! Dodged a bullet there!

Can't wait for the frying update! Sounds like this tr is about to get cooking! (That was bad ... I know... I know... )

BONUS UPDATE - SOMEONE IS ON THE LOOSE!!

Ok, I have an update here based upon events of Sunday evening, after we had rested up from the Slide of Death. This is a bonus update, as there isn't a corresponding headline to tease about it. But the title of the trip report alluded to someone being "on the loose". Well, that someone wasn't me. No 'Ohana moments here. Not that kinda loose. :flush2:

The individual in question was none other than the mischievous resident of Jellystone Park himself....Yogi!!

But first, let's back up just a bit to the Slide of Death post. I had mentioned that we bought our Halloween pumpkins there at the pumpkin farm but neglected to share photos of the kids picking out their future jack-o-lanterns.

So, here ya go.

P1020098.JPG

P1020099.JPG

There, with that out of the way, let's get back to Yogi.

When we checked into the campground on Saturday afternoon, one of the first things It's Not Cindy (my DW) did was to walk over to where they post the activities and check things out.

Here is the activity schedule for Saturday.

P1020070.JPG

There was a TON of fun stuff to do! Unfortunately, we missed most of Saturday's activities. But we did get there in time for the costume hayride, which was in an earlier post, and the kids went to the outdoor theater at 8pm for the movie, which happened to be.....wait for it.....

Yogi Bear (the Movie).

They actually enjoyed it. Except DD5 was not too happy because Cindy Bear wasn't in it.

In any case, that was Saturday. And here is the schedule for the week.

P1020071.JPG

Notice there was no Sunday schedule. They do a worship service every Sunday morning, and show a movie on Sunday evening, but otherwise it is a quiet day. But on this Sunday, they had a little unscheduled surprise for us all. Do you see the activity scheduled on Monday at 6:30?

It's Yogi Bear On The Loose!

Well, it seems that Yogi had a little scheduling conflict for Monday, and needed to cancel that day. So instead, he was on the loose on Sunday evening!

He came by the campsite while we were eating dinner outside. Anna needed to get out of her highchair and meet him.

P1020178.JPG

She wasn't quite sure what to make of him, but I was glad that she wasn't afraid. I wanted to see how she reacted to a character like this, cause we are eating at Chef Mickey's next month and I want her to meet the Big Cheese herself.

Minnie reigns in our household. Mickey is secondary.

And judging by how Anna reacted to Yogi, I think she may be ok at Chef Mickey's. :heart:

So there...we had an official "Bear Sighting"; the mark of success for any vacation in the Smokies.

(Warning: Blatant "teaser" alert)

But if you were paying attention to the headlines at the beginning of this trip report, you know that we had multiple bear sightings on this trip. Did Yogi make another unscheduled appearance? Or something else?? :o

Coming up...You Can Fry Anything (But Don't Forget The Camera)

...............PLUS!!! Stay tuned to find out if DaveInTN gets eaten by a bear!!!!!

I had a lot of comments to make but then someone said edamame and I think I had a small blackout! ;D

Seriously, I think a GG in the Smokies would be fantasticall! :banana: Great TR Dave! The photos of the girls flying down the slide of death were awesome!

Don't feel too bad about being distracted by a festival... it happens to the best of us.

Final comment: I agree with some of the others. I was afraid you were going to say corn hole. Phew! Dodged a bullet there!

Can't wait for the frying update! Sounds like this tr is about to get cooking! (That was bad ... I know... I know... )

The puns are flying fast and furious now!! Love it!!! :rofl2:

Not for us...although for someone on the typical American diet heavy on simple carbs, it can take several days to work through the "fog" while your body adjusts to burning fat instead of burning through all of the glucose and other sugars that you consume. After a few days of adjustment, I find that I feel so much more energenic. The problem with simple carbs like sugar, white breads, and processed foods, is that they send your body's insulin levels up and down quickly, which triggers a hunger mechanism quickly after you've burned through them. It's a vicious cycle. And remember, on a good low carb diet you aren't eating "no" carbs. Lots of veggies, which are carbs plus fiber. The "no carb" conception I think came from the Atkins diet, which in it's first phase eliminates ALL carbs. Most low carb plans, like South Beach, eliminate most carbs in the first two weeks...but not veggies. And after two weeks, you add back the healthy complex carbs, like fruits, whole grains, brown rice, things like that.

Loving your TR. But have to comment again about the low carb thing. I'm an Atkins low carber, and, no, Atkins does NOT eliminate all carbs in the first phase. You can have 20 net carbs per day (net carbs = total carbs less fiber grams).

It took me 2 days to work through the "fog" - on the third day my energy level soared, and it's stayed there ever since. Now if I occasionally indulge and eat too many carbs, I get physically sick -- headache and upset stomach. It's amazing how bad too many carbs make me feel! It's important too to remember that carbs vary on the glycemic index. My treats tend to be berries, melons, and grapefruit which are all low on the glycemic index.

Love the photo of you and Anna with Yogi!

Loving your TR. But have to comment again about the low carb thing. I'm an Atkins low carber, and, no, Atkins does NOT eliminate all carbs in the first phase. You can have 20 net carbs per day (net carbs = total carbs less fiber grams).

Thank you for clearing that up. I did Atkins many years ago, and was successful with it. For some reason I thought the induction phase eliminated all carbs. But it sounds like it is similar to what I am doing now.

Thank you for clearing that up. I did Atkins many years ago, and was successful with it. For some reason I thought the induction phase eliminated all carbs. But it sounds like it is similar to what I am doing now.

Sorry, I just didn't want people to have the wrong impression of Atkins -- like my aunt, who thinks I am killing myself by eating "no carbs." Good luck on your diet!

BONUS UPDATE - SOMEONE IS ON THE LOOSE!!

There was a TON of fun stuff to do! Unfortunately, we missed most of Saturday's activities. But we did get there in time for the costume hayride, which was in an earlier post, and the kids went to the outdoor theater at 8pm for the movie, which happened to be.....wait for it.....

Yogi Bear (the Movie).

They actually enjoyed it. Except DD5 was not too happy because Cindy Bear wasn't in it.

A BONUS ROUND!? This is too good to be true! :heart:

The activities look pretty impressive. I know lil H would have a blast! Between You and Starbuc I am quickly becoming convinced that a mountain camping trip is a must. (never camped in the mountains. boo.)

Your DD5 is absolutely right. I don't blame her for missing cindy bear. Maybe they will include her in the sequel. You know there WILL be a sequel. There is ALWAYS a sequel. ;D

Ah, thanks for the extra info on the carb thing. Hubby is doing WW, and I said I'd do it with him (seems like there's always an extra 5 or 10 that can be lost, right?). So I've been loading up my day with fruit and veggies (not too tough for me; love 'em), but found myself dragging for a good week at least. Throw in a few days of mountain biking and I thought I was going to keel over.

But 'nuff about that stuff. Back to this great TR!

Glad you saw Yogi, and glad Anna had such a good/non reaction -- wouldn't want her to miss out on any action with Minnie!

P1020099.JPG

Can we officially call your daughter pumpkin head now? :)) That is exactly how I like to have my picture taken.

Thanks for the Sunday bonus update. I did not win the lotto last night, so this was my consolation prize. :jumpforjoy

Sorry, I just didn't want people to have the wrong impression of Atkins -- like my aunt, who thinks I am killing myself by eating "no carbs." Good luck on your diet!

I spread enough misinformation about camping and Disney...don't need to venture into the realm of nutrition. :rofl2:

A BONUS ROUND!? This is too good to be true! :heart:

The activities look pretty impressive. I know lil H would have a blast! Between You and Starbuc I am quickly becoming convinced that a mountain camping trip is a must. (never camped in the mountains. boo.)

Your DD5 is absolutely right. I don't blame her for missing cindy bear. Maybe they will include her in the sequel. You know there WILL be a sequel. There is ALWAYS a sequel. ;D

We would LOVE a GG in the Smokies some day. LOVE it!! :jumpforjoy

Ah, thanks for the extra info on the carb thing. Hubby is doing WW, and I said I'd do it with him (seems like there's always an extra 5 or 10 that can be lost, right?). So I've been loading up my day with fruit and veggies (not too tough for me; love 'em), but found myself dragging for a good week at least. Throw in a few days of mountain biking and I thought I was going to keel over.

But 'nuff about that stuff. Back to this great TR!

Glad you saw Yogi, and glad Anna had such a good/non reaction -- wouldn't want her to miss out on any action with Minnie!

I know what you mean about weight. I always have an extra 30-40 pounds to lose. :rofl3:

OK, this report has done it. DW just got wind of it (ohanna??) and declared that we need to go to Smokey mtns, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

A Mtns. GG just may be the ticket!

Have I mentioned that I like the idea of a Smoky Mountain GG?

Have I?? :dance:

Can we officially call your daughter pumpkin head now? :)) That is exactly how I like to have my picture taken.

Thanks for the Sunday bonus update. I did not win the lotto last night, so this was my consolation prize. :jumpforjoy

You can call her pumpkin head when you see her. If you want to make a hormonal 14 year old girl cry, that is. :rofl2:

Ah, thanks for the extra info on the carb thing. Hubby is doing WW, and I said I'd do it with him (seems like there's always an extra 5 or 10 that can be lost, right?)

Sorry Kate.. but I ain't buying that. Where are you hiding 2 or 3 extra pounds let alone 5 or 10? ;D

By the way Dave, do they have any cabins at this CG? H says he really doesn't want to tow to Gatlinburg but would love to take a trip there. We could take the tent but I'm worried it may get too cool at night for the boys in the fall.

Any thoughts on when to have it? Can't do this time next year (we have band from end of August to early November. Maybe some time this spring or during the summer?

Ok Scott. You're being bossy now! You've just eliminated 1/4 of the year. :rofl2: Just kidding. Actually a summer GG would take care of my concerns about a fall trip being too cool for the kids in the tent but adds a new problem... H complaining about the heat in a tent. :rofl2:

Ok Scott. You're being bossy now! You've just eliminated 1/4 of the year. :rofl2: Just kidding. Actually a summer GG would take care of my concerns about a fall trip being too cool for the kids in the tent but adds a new problem... H complaining about the heat in a tent. :rofl2:

Well....Excuse me. ^_^ Why do you think I am not at Fort next weekend (well that and money and 8 hours drive each way but I digress)? :'(

I just figured I would put my two cents in....We may could even go during fall but absolutely no way during the mid Oct to 1st week of Nov timeframe. Translation -- I need me some GG time

I'm going to jump in and say a Smokey GG sounds great.

Have I said already how I think this is a good idea? :rofl2:

By the way Dave, do they have any cabins at this CG? H says he really doesn't want to tow to Gatlinburg but would love to take a trip there. We could take the tent but I'm worried it may get too cool at night for the boys in the fall.

Yes they do! And the KOA is Townsend also has cabins. Not sure about some of the other campgrounds in the area.

Smokey GG is going to be AWESOME!!!

Yes it is! Have I said already how I think this is a good idea?

Any thoughts on when to have it? Can't do this time next year (we have band from end of August to early November. Maybe some time this spring or during the summer?

We don't want it to conflict with SMGG12. What about Labor Day?

Labor Day is still kinda hot. Do you think that might work?

Well....Excuse me. ^_^ Why do you think I am not at Fort next weekend (well that and money and 8 hours drive each way but I digress)? :'(

I just figured I would put my two cents in....We may could even go during fall but absolutely no way during the mid Oct to 1st week of Nov timeframe. Translation -- I need me some GG time

Could you do end of Sept or early Oct??

Since the jhijack has started, end of June/beginging of July is out for us as we are doing a cruise then the Fort for the fourth.

Oh, poor Bill. We have to work around his cruise and Fort schedule. We really feel for you, buddy. ::)