Well, it's not a huge secret that I've been looking for a starter trailer for some time now. I called up a friend whose opinion I trust and we started looking in earnest. We spent two days at Camping World. Of course I liked what I couldn't afford. You know, the $70K 5th Wheel with a fireplace? Yeah... that was fantastic. Otherwise, I was frustrated. I couldn't stand up in some of the smaller trailers without hitting my head. And good luck fitting in the shower. My head was in the skylight. Overall extremely frustrating. I finally broke down and went to the mom and pop dealership in town today. It's in a sketchy part of town so I'd been avoiding it.

They mainly sell Jayco products, which I wasn't super excited about, but... I was up for looking. The salesman was pretty slimy, but tolerable. He showed me a new 22' Jayco trailer, no slides, that I really liked. The price was fair. I finally asked to see popups (Camping World doesn't sell those here). The first one we walked into was as good as sold. It was exactly what I'd been looking for. Even my friend, who was opposed to popups, agreed it was the perfect combination. It's a brand new unit that's been on the show floor a couple of years, but he had no problem coming down to NADA value of a used one. So, I told him I'd think about it until Monday since we couldn't do any paperwork today anyway. Does anyone have any popup advice? Specifically Jayco advice? I know it's far from top of the line, but it's a great deal on a starter unit - esp since it's being treated as new with the warranty and all.

Our pup was a Viking, so I don't know much about Jayco. IMO, If you like it, the price is right, and you're getting the warranty, I say go for it! We loved our pup! Good luck, keep us posted.

Actually, Jayco is a pretty well built trailer. I owned a Kiwi hybrid for many years and really enjoyed it.

Not sure about popups, but Jayco warranties their hardsides for two years, while the industry standard is one.

Not sure about popups, but Jayco warranties their hardsides for two years, while the industry standard is one.

According to the salesman it's lifetime to the original owner on roof and floor and then the two years on the things inside. 5 years on the canvas. The price plus the warranty was certainly a good incentive to buy.

Our pup was a Viking, so I don't know much about Jayco. IMO, If you like it, the price is right, and you're getting the warranty, I say go for it! We loved our pup! Good luck, keep us posted.

Well put! I totally agree.

Unless a product is just cheaply made garbage, there are gems everywhere. doesn't matter the brand or location.

Have fun!

I've never heard of a lifetime warranty on any camper part from any manufacturer. I have seen a 12 year warranty on roof membranes. Note...this does not cover leaks due to improper maintenance of seams and caulking.

With any camper water is the enemy. Even if it is "new" I would check it from top to bottom paying special attention to the corners of the roof and floor for soft spots and/or leaks.

Not trying to be negative, but it is not uncommon for a trailer to be leaking even when new.

If you store it inside you will be a lot better off in the long run. If not, invest in the best cover that you can find.

I once let a camper sit outside and ruin. I was a tough lesson to learn.

Jayco builds a good product. They are a family owned business too.

Jayco makes a very good unit still a smaller private company not affiliated with the larger rv makers you can feel safe in buying their unit. Some of our best times were in our pop up just getting older and spoiled so we now have the mom and pop 5th wheel.

One question, is what year is it and what model? If it has been sittiing on the lot for a couple years, the tires are going to be shot soon. Check the dates on the tires and for cracking and if they are more than 2 years old, I would get them to give you new ones with the deal. Tires should be replaced every 5 years. So you would be losing out a couple years right there.

Jayco's are good products, built by the Amish and have a good warranty's. Good Luck, we love our PUP.

Best Regards,

Norm

I've never heard of a lifetime warranty on any camper part from any manufacturer. I have seen a 12 year warranty on roof membranes. Note...this does not cover leaks due to improper maintenance of seams and caulking.

With any camper water is the enemy. Even if it is "new" I would check it from top to bottom paying special attention to the corners of the roof and floor for soft spots and/or leaks.

Not trying to be negative, but it is not uncommon for a trailer to be leaking even when new.

If you store it inside you will be a lot better off in the long run. If not, invest in the best cover that you can find.

Actually, many of the pop up manufacturers went with lifetime warranty's on certain parts. Coleman (Fleetwood) started it many years ago with lifetime on floors and lift systems and for several years they had lifetime on the ABS roof. But, that was before Fleetwood sold the pop up business and the new owner couldn't make and money and closed the plant.

Well put! I totally agree.

Unless a product is just cheaply made garbage, there are gems everywhere. doesn't matter the brand or location.

Have fun!

Thanks. It's a big decision. I think it's a sound purchase.

I saw the warranty was linked below. That was a big selling point. I have a garage space for it. I'll do a more thorough inspection before I commit to the purchase.

Jayco makes a very good unit still a smaller private company not affiliated with the larger rv makers you can feel safe in buying their unit. Some of our best times were in our pop up just getting older and spoiled so we now have the mom and pop 5th wheel.

I thought I wanted something bigger, but they just didn't "feel" right if that makes any sense. I loved some of the fifth wheels, though!

One question, is what year is it and what model? If it has been sittiing on the lot for a couple years, the tires are going to be shot soon. Check the dates on the tires and for cracking and if they are more than 2 years old, I would get them to give you new ones with the deal. Tires should be replaced every 5 years. So you would be losing out a couple years right there.

Jayco's are good products, built by the Amish and have a good warranty's. Good Luck, we love our PUP.

Best Regards,

Norm

The dealer claims it's been sitting inside its whole life. I'd doubt that except it doesn't look like it has ever seen sunlight. Thanks for the advice about the tires. I thought about that last night. I'll have a=to see what kind of negotiating I can do about those. It's a 2009 Jay Series 1006.

Actually, many of the pop up manufacturers went with lifetime warranty's on certain parts. Coleman (Fleetwood) started it many years ago with lifetime on floors and lift systems and for several years they had lifetime on the ABS roof. But, that was before Fleetwood sold the pop up business and the new owner couldn't make and money and closed the plant.

JAYCO's warranty:

http://www.jayco.com/php/warranty.php

I personally don't think you can go wrong with JAYCO. Totally family owned and have been since the 60's, they also own STARCRAFT and ENTEGRA COACH.

Thanks for posting that link!

Good luck with the purchase!!!

Thanks! I actually ran across a T@B that was a great bargain. It was the model with the kitchen inside. Unfortunately, it just wasn't quite big enough since I usually have a few friends with me. Was hard passing that one up!

Thanks, TJ. I've been all but pacing the house trying to decide if this is the right decision. I think I've decided to move towards the used popups that I can pay cash for and walk away knowing that, if I mess it up, hit a curb, etc then so be it.

Sorry! I take one day off of FF.net and it all blows up! I hate to disappoint.

Well, I did a lot of thinking. And more thinking. And some more. I decided that buying new wasn't really a smart idea for a few reasons, so I walked away from the new-used Jayco. Financially, I wasn't looking forward to a monthly payment. Plus, I haven't towed a trailer in 10 years, at least. I figured something I could pay cash for and maybe bang up a little might be a better starter.

After a LOT of research and looking around, pestering friends, going cross-eyed looking at CraigsList, I stumbled onto 2 popups in the Jacksonville, FL area that were "quick cash" sales. I felt a little bad since I knew these families were selling because they had no other choice, but.... I mean, if I didn't buy it, someone else was going to. I drove down and checked both out, crawled under them, checked everything imaginable, lowered and raised them, etc. I finally decided on the one that I thought was in the best shape, was the best value and would fit my needs the best... and... I'm going to pick it up tomorrow (Friday) if I can get away from work in time.

Am I excited? You betcha! I'm staying overnight in a campground somewhere along the way back since it's about a 4 hour drive and I don't feel comfortable driving at night yet since I'm not familiar with the trailer. I'll take plenty of photos and post them when I stop or when I get home.