The Accidental Full Timers With Children - What The Fort!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Eyes... My Eyes... Somebody Stop the Slide show... PLEASE Now for that park you've been asking for..... Glacier National Park. A few things to remember: 1. The Fort AT Halloween has more parking

The pictures don't even compare to the original... awesome. That is quite ironic about Minnie. We had no idea! here is the thing on the pictures. we don't post kid picks online. All the recent pict

sorry about the same picture showing up multiple times.... I have removed it but for the one that's should be there. Was having issues with the pictures showing up at all and then didn't check it aft

The Three Monuments (one sans pictures) and How to Stop the Rain

Let's see where did I leave you... in the snow during the first week of October. After three or four days of sitting in the trailer because the temps didn't get above the 30's we fled south to Flagstaff. How wondrous those 50 degree temps were! We'd discovered a little problem with having 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs (one the size of an adult human) in the trailer. Condensation, it would literally start to rain from the aluminum vents. As we knew we'd encounter many weeks of cold temps during the winter something had to be done. Particularly since one of the vents was directly over my head at night!

First one picture of the drive-

az04.jpg

Now to stop the interior rain. I wanted material that was washable and when that's the case, with heavy duty use in mind, denim is the only choice for me. No quilter can do without her box of gadgets and at least one sewing machine... other than the coffee machine (mochas anyone?) this was my luxury item.

DSC_0172.jpg

Now to get started-

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Here is the finished product-

DSC_0183.jpg

Not the prettiest thing and there is velcro in the corners to help it stick up but no more "Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head".

Flagstaff was one of those Rule #3 Stops. We were originally due to land in ABQ but realized that the Balloon Festival was going on. We knew there would be little chance of finding a campground at a decent price. When we got to Flagstaff we found out they had THREE Junior Ranger Badges to be earned so off we went.

First up Sunset Crater National Monument. Sunset Crater is an inactive volcano -

az05.jpg

A lava flow trail-

az07.jpg

The San Fransisico Peaks as seen from Sunset Crater NM- (Just For those who like pretty pictures)

az09.jpg

DH getting artsy smartsy with the camera-

az10.jpg

Next Stop (on the same day as Sunset Crater), Wupatki National Monument-

az14.jpg

Hey Sport Enthusiasts they had a ball field but it looks more like a pool to me-

az20.jpg

One last shot -

az13.jpg

We have no pictures of the third National Monument (Walnut Canyon). We, um, forgot the camera. However, it was probably a good thing. We had just 1 hour to complete a 30 minute hike, point the kids to the correct place to find the answers for the booklet, buy souvenirs, and leave before the park closed.. whew. A whirlwind tour....

I wish I had more to say on Flagstaff. We loved it there and I got a bit of craft retail therapy in. However by this point we wanted to get back to the familiar. An interesting thing about this life is you get addicted to the gorgeous sights but you are ALWAYS the kid in town (campground). Everyone you talk to wants to know your story. When you add in the attractions of the Great Dane and the kids (yes, in that order) you get ALOT more attention. When we left we thought it would be the vintage Airstream or the kids that got the attention. Full time RVers don't care about your rig unless they have the same rig and although they love to talk/watch your kids play the first thing they see is the "Horse" who needs "A Saddle". Then they need to know "How much does that thing weigh?" followed by "How much does that thing eat?". THEN they see the RV and want to know "How the heck do you fit that horse in that Airstream?". Next up "So you homeschool?" After about 4 months we started craving conversation with someone who knew our story. We wanted to hear other people's story.... we were bored with ours.

At this point I have to thank Jen & Chris because ff.net became my familiar place. All those we post here regularly (you know who you are) became the ones that knew my story. So a heartfelt thanks to Jen & Chris!

Next Up - Mostly Words, Yellow Cities, & Tagged Cars

Another good one, Nicki! Sleeping in the rain does not sound fun at all.I love the Flagstaff area too. I just asked Mike if we could go home that way. Doesn't look good though it would definitely add an extra day at least. Keep updating, it makes my time in the truck go a lot faster when I have TR's to read!

Wow!

I love all of the photos, even the artsy smartsy one from your DH!

It is surreal for me to look at these photos and see the snow-capped mountain ranges in the background.

That is all so foreign to me coming from flat old Florida.

About the condensation- what about a dehumidifier? It seems like that might work better than your vent covers.

I find your observation about how people ask you the same questions over and over to be very interesting. The twins get annoyed when someone asks "which one is older?" The funny thing is that this is the type of thing I would say when I met twins. People are just trying to be friendly, but I can see where it gets on your nerves when everyone asks how much your dog weighs.

I'm ready for some more photos when you are ready to post them.

TCD

Another great update Nicki! Bravo for whipping up a vent cover on the spot, Martha Stewart.

Have you tried cracking a window for the condensation? When we run the heat in ours, we have to, or we get condensation too.

Great pictures, as usual!

I know these are in backward order but my mulitquote is acting weird today or my mifi connection...

Another great update Nicki! Bravo for whipping up a vent cover on the spot, Martha Stewart.

Have you tried cracking a window for the condensation? When we run the heat in ours, we have to, or we get condensation too.

Great pictures, as usual!

Well it wasn't exactly on the spot but I hadn't done anything "crafty" in a while... and Martha would cringe if she saw those.

Yes, we have thought about it. However, when the temps get really severely cold (10-18 at night)..... Our Airstream is REALLY OLD (no insulation to speak of), and you are miles away from the nearest propane dealer..... sometimes you just can't afford to lose any heat.

Wow!

I love all of the photos, even the artsy smartsy one from your DH!

It is surreal for me to look at these photos and see the snow-capped mountain ranges in the background.

That is all so foreign to me coming from flat old Florida.

About the condensation- what about a dehumidifier? It seems like that might work better than your vent covers.

I find your observation about how people ask you the same questions over and over to be very interesting. The twins get annoyed when someone asks "which one is older?" The funny thing is that this is the type of thing I would say when I met twins. People are just trying to be friendly, but I can see where it gets on your nerves when everyone asks how much your dog weighs.

I'm ready for some more photos when you are ready to post them.

TCD

The snow caps there were a huge surprise. They actually have a snow bowl to play in. I think the snow stays on the ground there year round... something I did not see but plan to go back for.

After living in Texas for 7 years, I found New Jersey to be a bit claustrophobic for me... I missed the big skies then.

dehumidifier.... it's a space issue. Our TT is only 27ft from tongue to bumper... so inside it's really only 25ft. We have to really, really, REALLY want or need something because of RV Rule #1 for everything that comes in something must go out. There might come a time when we "have" to get that dehumidifier but for now we make do with the vent covers (thankfully, we've only needed them one other time...

I still can't get over those great big skys out there!!!

see above....

you two should really travel west at least once... it really is something to behold.

Another good one, Nicki! Sleeping in the rain does not sound fun at all.I love the Flagstaff area too. I just asked Mike if we could go home that way. Doesn't look good though it would definitely add an extra day at least. Keep updating, it makes my time in the truck go a lot faster when I have TR's to read!

Add another day... who cares! Oh.. wait.. Mike might.

Sorry no other updates tonight. there was laundry and then the bike ride.. and ouch!

Sorry no other updates tonight. there was laundry and then the bike ride.. and ouch!

Did you crash your bike? :rofl2: Not that that's funny, but I do it all the time and I would love to know I'm not alone. :rofl2:

Did you crash your bike? :rofl2: Not that that's funny, but I do it all the time and I would love to know I'm not alone. :rofl2:

no it did slide out from under me a few times but I corrected.

it's more the part of the body that connects to the part of the bike using the largest area..... we did another bike ride a few days ago. I had not recovered yet. Did I mention the beach is, well, bumpy. :rofl3:

Love the new updates. The photos are amazing. I think it is pretty neat that your kids are collecting their junior ranger badges. How many are there to collect?

Thanks. Thanks. We do to but sometimes it's like pulling a few thousand teeth.....

We have over 18 and are probably no even near half way.... we saw a picture of a girl whose entire jr ranger vest was filled with them.... I am scared.... very scared about the exact number.

Love your trip report. My husband and I, along with his brother and sister in law, took a trip out west last fall for my husband's 60th birthday and his brother's 50th. They had been talking about taking a mule ride into the canyon and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. We flew into Las Vegas, rented a mini van and drove for 2 weeks. Saw Hoover Dam, Sunset Crater, Grand Canyon south rim (where they did the overnight mule ride), Monument Valley, 4 corners, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon north rim, Zion, Yosemite and Death Valley. We saw a lot of the exact same things you have posted beautiful pictures of. I think Yosemite was my favorite and encourage everyone to see it if they are given the chance.

Love your trip report. My husband and I, along with his brother and sister in law, took a trip out west last fall for my husband's 60th birthday and his brother's 50th. They had been talking about taking a mule ride into the canyon and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. We flew into Las Vegas, rented a mini van and drove for 2 weeks. Saw Hoover Dam, Sunset Crater, Grand Canyon south rim (where they did the overnight mule ride), Monument Valley, 4 corners, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon north rim, Zion, Yosemite and Death Valley. We saw a lot of the exact same things you have posted beautiful pictures of. I think Yosemite was my favorite and encourage everyone to see it if they are given the chance.

Thanks for joining in the insanity. I am glad you are enjoying it. Seems like you have done alot more than we have.... but we will be BACK!

Just a PSA on keeping a window cracked!!! I know you don't want to lose any heat, BUT!!!! DO NOT SEAL YOURSELVES IN THE CAMPER!!! IT WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!

Please leave a vent open somewhere!!! Also, leaving a vent open will make you warmer because the moisture has a place to go and not stay inside the trailer!!!!

Just a PSA on keeping a window cracked!!! I know you don't want to lose any heat, BUT!!!! DO NOT SEAL YOURSELVES IN THE CAMPER!!! IT WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!

Please leave a vent open somewhere!!! Also, leaving a vent open will make you warmer because the moisture has a place to go and not stay inside the trailer!!!!

Thanks for the concern and advice. In all cases that's REALLY REALLY good advice. We have both a propane and a CO detector in the trailer. Both positioned in the proper places for their type of gas. One needs to be higher and one lower.. would have to ask DH which one. We have even prepared the kids in case the sensors go off and the adults don't wake up (Open the door, get out, get help.. don't try to wake us).

Having said that, our trailer is like an old house... not perfectly sealed. We also have dogs, kids, and a husband that must go outside about once an hour except for at night. We typically only run propane when the temps get down to freezing and we don't want to deal with busted pipes (our ducting runs along the water supply line). We also have a heat strip built into the A/C unit which we run most of the time. After all electricity is usually covered in the campground fees but propane hits the pocket directly/hard.

Just had to chime in about Yosemite!!!! We have been to most of the places you have listed, plus we took a swing up to Yellowstone, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore and the Badlands.......BUT Yosemite was by far our favorite........words cannot describe the view from Glacier Point and Tunnel View......just unbelievable!!!!!!

Nicki,

Still loving this trip report!

Heidi

Just had to chime in about Yosemite!!!! BUT Yosemite was by far our favorite........words cannot describe the view from Glacier Point and Tunnel View......just unbelievable!!!!!!

Nicki,

Still loving this trip report!

Heidi

something else we will have to go back for. We only got to gaze upon the mariposa grove. I have to say picking a favorite spot is almost impossible. Each place is truly gorgeous in it's own way and manages to surprise you somehow.