The Accidental Full Timers With Children - What The Fort!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Eyes... My Eyes... Somebody Stop the Slide show... PLEASE Now for that park you've been asking for..... Glacier National Park. A few things to remember: 1. The Fort AT Halloween has more parking

The pictures don't even compare to the original... awesome. That is quite ironic about Minnie. We had no idea! here is the thing on the pictures. we don't post kid picks online. All the recent pict

sorry about the same picture showing up multiple times.... I have removed it but for the one that's should be there. Was having issues with the pictures showing up at all and then didn't check it aft

Holy frap. You were a couple miles away form me and we didn't even know it!

I wish I could have known you when you were here before. I would have had a camping back-up for you and you would have been able to make the zoo. The Omaha zoo is a no-miss site for a trip, that's for sure. Besides, I could have been sitting around a campfire, drinking with a fellow Fiend. Oh well, now we know each other for the next trip through.

:rofl2: I don't know why that stuck me as funny, but it did. I guess we've all had similar conversations.

Thank you for letting me insert my favorite word....I have so many, I think I'll just sit here and say each one out loud until I find one that sounds the best.

beachsmiley.gif

I think anyone who's travel in an RV for more than a few trips has participated in a similar conversation....

Sorry, Nicki but you conversation with your DH tickled my funny bone too. I may just text Stef too see which word she felt was best. :rofl2:

That's ok. It strikes us as funny now....

Holy frap. You were a couple miles away form me and we didn't even know it!

I wish I could have known you when you were here before. I would have had a camping back-up for you and you would have been able to make the zoo. The Omaha zoo is a no-miss site for a trip, that's for sure. Besides, I could have been sitting around a campfire, drinking with a fellow Fiend. Oh well, now we know each other for the next trip through.

If we had only known...that is a crying shame. However, we will file that away because the Omaha Zoo is still on our to do list.

The Gorge, The Battlefield and What do you mean this isn't a Vacation?

So we finally arrive at our campsite near the Royal Gorge in Colorado and it's breathtaking. To be fair, it rained almost daily but you can't complain when this is the result.

Double Rainbows

Our first stop, after getting settled in, was to ride the Royal Gorge Train. The train had assinged seating but after it got started you could move out into an open air car to watch the scenery go by. This train goes forward for about 45 minutes then backward for the same. We went out on the open air car for the forward part and went back inside for the reverse.

And we are off -

royalGorgeTrain05.jpg

royalGorgeTrain07.jpg

The scenery was gorgeous. Riding the train was delightful. However the fun part was watching this -

royalGorgeTrain12.jpg

Rafters, rafters, rafters... there were over 100 out on the water that day. Some groups we saw on both legs of the trip. Some rafters put on shows for us. We even had one that danced as we went by (reminds me of Stef singing to the sled riders).

The next day we headed down into a gold mine. The first ever owned and operated by a woman. However, we don't have pictures from that one. I can tell you we went down squeezed in an open elevator tighter than dry goods in a small RV pantry. They literally packed the four of us at the back, two people next to us and the tour guide. All the way down, all anyone could think was... "please no Ohannaaaaaa" and you didn't dare to move because you just might become intimately acquainted with the nice couple you just met.

From here we took a jaunt right throw Wyoming. I really wanted to spend some time in Wyoming but reliable internet was a huge problem for much of the state so we just overnighted on our way to Garryowen, Montana. This was one of those times when Rule #3 really paid off. We had been trying to get to Yellowstone and it just wasn't working. We decided to try for Glacier National Park instead but need a stop in between... thus Garyowen.

Another for TCD -

"Sunset Over The Valley" or "Sunset Over The Harleys"

littleBighorn15.jpg

One for Carol -

littleBighorn14.jpg

Now on The Battlefield of Little Bighorn National Monument-

This battle for all but Custer's family lost quite a few members. He had many family members on that hill with him.

littleBighorn02.jpg

Here is the cemetery for those who died on the hill. I think the headstone lie in the exact place that person fell...but don't quote me on that one.

littleBighorn01.jpg

littleBighorn07.jpg

Eventually, not so long ago, the Native Americans got their own memorial site at the battlefield. The memorial is shaped in a circle and it contains the statue below and plaques (not pictured) of the Warriors Names listed under the tribes. It has an interesting vibe to it. As if they visit often....

littleBighorn06.jpg

Calvary soldiers got white stone markers but what about the Native Americans? Well the few that are marked are red. However, because the Native Americans had their own burial customs it is unknown exactly how many died during the battle. The ones that are marked were done per family request.

littleBighorn09.jpg

The path to the ravine and Crazy Horse's action-

littleBighorn08.jpg

Another monument down the 5 mile drive of the battlefield-

littleBighorn13.jpg

littleBighorn10.jpg

The picture above is what TCD would call foreshadowing....

You see there is this monument as well

littleBighorn04.jpg

Custer ordered all the horses killed to give his men protection. One horse survived...

Garyowen is also home to its own museum and it's well worth the small price of admission. Many pictures of Native Americans and some artifacts as well.

The American Indians also have tours of the Battlefield via bus. They tell their grandfathers stories... and that's my reason to return.

A wildfire cause by a cigarette revealed many artifacts from the battle.

And finally - What do you mean it's not a Vacation?

Most RV Fulltime Family website will warn you about this. When we first headed out, other than Shawn's work, life was a vacation. Eventually school starts, life happens, and you realize this is not a vacation. It simply YOUR life, although a darn good one. Their will be arguements, tears, frustrations, fun and laughter... just in a much smaller space. Which leads us to RV Full Timers Rule # 4. Tackle the issues head on, their isn't enough space to let them stew.

Next Up - My Eyes... My Eyes... Somebody Stop the Slide show.

If we had only known...that is a crying shame. However, we will file that away because the Omaha Zoo is still on our to do list.

Just don't bring the water back with you this time. :rofl3:

From what I read, the factors that created last year's floods are not (so far) in place this year. I hope that means the river will stay IN the river next summer.

1. I love the sunset series.

2. You can nag my all you want. It doesn't bother me a bit. I've been married almost 25 years. I can't hear nagging anymore.

TCD

I thought you might enjoy those. We have seen some beauties too.

I had not done a TR in some time. I'd didn't remember how long it could take to formulate even a quick post...

and it's funny how and when selective hearing (our term for your... um... hearing issue) kicks in

Just don't bring the water back with you this time.

From what I read, the factors that created last year's floods are not (so far) in place this year. I hope that means the river will stay IN the river next summer.

I'll try to remember that.

It's funny. We crossed the Missouri on the way to Nebraska and it didn't look bad but we did see that sand bags were already in place. We get into North Platte and found a few fields flooded, activities cancelled but it still didn't look too bad. Custer was fine other than a few thunderstorms. On the way to DeSmet you could see signs of some flooding and a few impassible roads near the Twin Lakes but when we headed northeast to Watertown it was amazing ... in bad way. The only way to tell if the water should have been there was by the gps. If the GPS had blue beside the road it was ok but if it had green and all you could see was water... not so much. Then we hit the Missouri river and I have no words for that sight.

Great update, Nicki. I am a history buff and I am enjoying all this.

It was the big one. :rofl2:

I left out alot of tidbits on that post but didn't want to turn it into a "History Lecture". If there is one thing I would really encourage people to do is the Ranger led activities. We had a very good Ranger and he told a great story. If you want to see the rest of the pictures and more of my personal take on it.. here is the link to the post on our blog.

(insert your favorite word here) - miss read that one.. Sry stef

I'll try to remember that.

It's funny. We crossed the Missouri on the way to Nebraska and it didn't look bad but we did see that sand bags were already in place. We get into North Platte and found a few fields flooded, activities cancelled but it still didn't look too bad. Custer was fine other than a few thunderstorms. On the way to DeSmet you could see signs of some flooding and a few impassible roads near the Twin Lakes but when we headed northeast to Watertown it was amazing ... in bad way. The only way to tell if the water should have been there was by the gps. If the GPS had blue beside the road it was ok but if it had green and all you could see was water... not so much. Then we hit the Missouri river and I have no words for that sight.

Even more amazing to me is to look at the land now, that was flooded so badly all summer. A campground that we enjoy, with the water so high that you couldn't see the tops of the playground equipment, and only part of the comfort station roof. Right now it looks like a barren wasteland that never had any life. North of Omaha, along I-29, the river flooded several miles to the east of the actual river channel. The Interstate was closed there for months. It's open now, and they had to rebuild several miles of it. The trees are all dead along the highway, and they are starting to remove them. Weeks after the highway re-opened to traffic, you could still see the water mark on the tree trunks where the flood level was, 10' or more above the road level. Fields are dead and gray-colored. A railroad that runs parallel to I-29 is still out of service. There is trash and timber strewn along it, and in several places the rails are suspended in the air where the ground was washed away underneath. It can make you feel like you're going through a post-nuke zone.

Even more amazing to me is to look at the land now, that was flooded so badly all summer. A campground that we enjoy, with the water so high that you couldn't see the tops of the playground equipment, and only part of the comfort station roof. Right now it looks like a barren wasteland that never had any life. North of Omaha, along I-29, the river flooded several miles to the east of the actual river channel. The Interstate was closed there for months. It's open now, and they had to rebuild several miles of it. The trees are all dead along the highway, and they are starting to remove them. Weeks after the highway re-opened to traffic, you could still see the water mark on the tree trunks where the flood level was, 10' or more above the road level. Fields are dead and gray-colored. A railroad that runs parallel to I-29 is still out of service. There is trash and timber strewn along it, and in several places the rails are suspended in the air where the ground was washed away underneath. It can make you feel like you're going through a post-nuke zone.

That is just awful but after seeing all that water I can believe it. All that beauty just decimated.

rebelstand,

You made a mention of going to Glacier National Park......did you get there?? If so, I am VERY excited to read all about it and perhaps ask some quesions and get your thoughts on the park. We are planning a trip out west in August and Glacier will be our first stop. I went as a kid, but dont have many memories of it. The pictures I have seen are amazing though.

Heidi

A Mini Post On What We Sort Of Got To See

My fellow fiends, how many of you know the home of Buffalo Bill Cody..... well now I do. North Platte, Nebraska. At least, that's where he residing at some point in his life.

northbluff01.jpg

Now that there building above you houses a miniture Wild West Show with moving parts (below) as well as the knick knack souvenir shop from hades. (yes, my fiends I have become a souvenir shop connoisseur.)

northbluff03.jpg

And finally... Buffalo Bill's House, on his ranch. If you look really, really closely at the bottom of the picture you will see plastic. The plastic is from the sandbags pile up to protect the house from, you guessed it, the flooding North Platte River. The entire complex was closed as they removed everything they could in order to protect it from the waters. It looks like a gorgeous house.....

northbluff09.jpg

Now I'm off to read someone else's TR for now....

Hey these look familiar. My husband is from Arnold, NE so when we go back to visit we usually end up over in North Platte for at least a day.

• 2 weeks later...

My Eyes... My Eyes... Somebody Stop the Slide show... PLEASE

Now for that park you've been asking for..... Glacier National Park.

A few things to remember:

1. The Fort AT Halloween has more parking.

2. The season is short so it's always busy.

3. Bear Spray.... don't forget the bear spray in the truck.

4. The Rangers have enough to do... don't add to their "issues".

5. If you can, hire one of those Red Jammer Cars. Trust my husband, he missed half the sites just navigating The Road To The Sun.

Our first day, we arrived at our campsite which was just a few miles outside of West Glacier, MT. After getting thru the "Normal" unhitching routine, we ate at a REALLY BAD restaurant (dont' remember the name but it was on the south side of the main road and white) before heading into the park. We stopped in the Historic Apgar village, looked into all the souvenir shops and picked up the necessary Junior Ranger Booklets for the kids to get their badges. (Starting in Custer, Junior Ranger program became both a blessing and the bane of our existence...) This place was crazy busy as was Lake McDonald Lodge. We decided that the crowds must thin out during the week. Kind of like someone who's never been to WDW thinking no one would think of going at Christmas.....Yes, we were wrong.

Here is the view of McDonald Lake from the Apgar Village Boat Launch.

glacierRoad03.jpg

The same view, almost, from the Lake McDonald Lodge. (can you read the name of that boat?)

glacierRoad04.jpg

The view from McDonald Lodge toward Apgar Viliage -

glacierRoad05.jpg

Random Water Rapid Picture- (and my finger nails)

glacierRoad07.jpg

Here we have Lake McDonald Lodge or the Lodge at McDonald Lake. It is gorgeous inside this lodge and see that red car. That's a Red Jammer Car.

glacierRoad06.jpg

After visiting here, we had planned to take a hike but couldn't find ANY parking so decided to call it a day. That was ok because the next day we were Going to the Sun, West to East starting at 9am.

Going To The Sun

glacierRoad09.jpg

glacierRoad12.jpg

glacierRoad13.jpg

glacierRoad14.jpg

1.5 hours into the drive and we have reached the half way point.

glacierRoad18.jpg

glacierRoad19.jpg

glacierRoad20.jpg

We did eventually get in a small hike on the drive. It was a half mile hike to a water fall. My husband left the bear spray in the car. No big deal, says he. We were going down with a huge crowd of people. Coming back it was just us. Another group of four passed us, they said casually, in passing "Better be careful there is a bear up there". I promptly made my husband, "the forgetter of the bear spray" walk in the lead. Either we made enough noise to scare it off or they previous group did but we didn't see that bear. However, sometime in the week we were there some poor guy got mauled on one of the Many Glacier hikes....

Nicki's National Park Survival Rule #1 - Don't Forget the Bear Spray. (Despite being back in the urban wilderness, the bear spray is still in the truck).

glacierRoad24.jpg

Back on the road again -

glacierRoad32.jpg

Two Medicine Lodge -

glacierRoad36.jpg

We ended our epic drive here. Most of the above pictures are from the Going to the Sun drive but the last few are from Many Glacier. We could have driven the Going to The Sun Road East to West, which would have been funny since we'd have been headed toward the sun's actual position twice in one day, but we were exhausted and by the time we got back it would have been 5 hours since we left and the dogs would need to be let out.

I can tell you that my driver, DH, was exhausted when we got back to Minerva (the Airstream). He actually said when we go back he's springing for a Red Car Jammer Tour so he can enjoy the ride. Doing the drive in an F150, stacked like the Clampets, with huge tow mirrors was not exactly un-stressful. When he was downloading the pictures he claimed that he hadn't seen half of the sights I'd taken pics of because driving was that involved. The original Going to the Sun road was built back in the day before large trucks, minivans, and good brakes.

I can also tell you that for TWO days every time I closed my eyes some gorgeous scene flashed behind them. I think I dreamed Glacier. It got to the point that I just wanted the images to stop so I could sleep but I guess my mind needed sometime to "download" all the sights. I will also say that I took about 200 pics of this road. Seriously, get a camera with the sports feature and hold down the button.......

A few days later, we headed back into the park to do their Ranger lead tour (a ride in the "DeSmet" boat, on Lake McDonald, while a ranger talked about forest fires). he was the oldest working Ranger in the park, late 80's or early 90's he was. We got his autograph (in the Jr Ranger program booklet). We then took the kids back to Apgar to get them sworn in as Glacier National Park Junior Rangers.

Also while there -

We bought the Truck Roof Bike Rack.

Spent and evening getting the oil changed.

Next Up - Hurricane... They have a Hurricane in Washington?

Hey Nicki, I have a big problem with you and this great TR. What the heck do you guys look like anyway?

I've followed this thread from the start and nothing. I've gone to your blog and unless there are some photos of you and the family buried in there, nothing. All I've found was a pic of hubby and a small wedding photo.

Come on, make this TR even better, add you and the family to some of the pics.

Don't make us wait 10 months, 1 week, and 1 day.

BTW, and you may know this as you named your TT Minerva, that's Minnie's full name. Minnie is her nick name.

WOW!! That's all I can say about those pictures. I hope you realize how lucky you are to be able to travel like that (bear spray or no bear spray ;) )

I have to agree with Lou though, let's see some Nicki & family pics thrown in every now and again! :heartsmiley:

I don't like roads with no shoulders or guardrails. Example... The road up Pike's Peak and the road to the Rocky Mountain National Park Alpine Visitors Center. How's the Going To The Sun Road? I saw in one of the pictures that at least part of the road has a short stone edge.