The Accidental Full Timers With Children - What The Fort!

The Accidental Full Timers

First -

I am not sure if there is even a place here for this trip. However a recent thread "American Gypsies" and TCD always encouraging people to do a TR, made me revisit the idea of posting this TR. It's an on going TR and I'm starting about 7 months behind schedule. I had thought to start it about 20 times and well.... I might belong to the Slacker family.

Second-

I like to call us accidental fulltimers. We didn't plan to hit the road when we purchased our Airstream... frankly, it just happened.

Our New Home - We just didn't know it at the time. We brought her home July 3, 2010.

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

Isn't She purty?

DSCF0063.JPG

I won't bore you with the thousands of restoration/renovation photos, you can see them at our blog. However, this is what it looked like when we hit the road.

newa%253As01.jpg

Our first stop was Texas to establish residency, get DLs, and tags. We discovered in Texas that our Vintage 1974 Coleman Mach III just wasn't going to cut it for full time life. So we headed to Springfield, MO to get a new one installed. Why Springfield? Well our old A/C was about 6 inches larger than the new ones, which meant some aluminum work for the technicians so we thought it would be best to got to an Airstream Certified Repair Shop. The nearest one to Texas that actually had a unit in, that wasn't days out of our way, was in Springfield, MO.

Next up, if there is some interest - We Get Down To Some Serious Sight Seeing

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Eyes... My Eyes... Somebody Stop the Slide show... PLEASE Now for that park you've been asking for..... Glacier National Park. A few things to remember: 1. The Fort AT Halloween has more parking

The pictures don't even compare to the original... awesome. That is quite ironic about Minnie. We had no idea! here is the thing on the pictures. we don't post kid picks online. All the recent pict

sorry about the same picture showing up multiple times.... I have removed it but for the one that's should be there. Was having issues with the pictures showing up at all and then didn't check it aft

This is so exciting! I can't wait to hear all about your travels!

Awesome!! I can't wait to read more.

Ask and you shall receive....

I would love to be a working full-timer, but I have a house full of homebodies. Oh well, I'll just have to live through your reports.

I understand. DH was that way until we moved to NJ for 2 years.. then all bets were off.

We Get Down To Some Serious Sight Seeing .... Well Sort Of

If there was a rule book for full timing Rule #10 should be -

Check the Local Weather Conditions You Twit

Why do you ask? We were due to arrive in North Platte, Nebraska in time for the Nebraska Land Days festival. To be fair, it just happened to be going on when we were visiting but I had planned many things to see and do that week. Unfortunately, record snowfall and rainfalls in Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, & North Dakota were causing this little problem with the North Platte River... flooding. Most of the free or interesting activities were cancelled but we did get see quite a bit.

First Up The Golden Spike Tower -

The Golden Spike Tower is a very large Hump Yard. NO Stef and Ed.. remove your mind from the unsavory place to which it has journeyed. A Railroad Hump Yard is where they sort the train cars for the next destination. For a nominal fee each, you can go to the top of the tower and take pictures. The tower also houses some interesting historical pieces, a man to answer questions, and some kiosks for the kids to play with.

goldenspike01.jpg

It also contains a Disel Engine Repair Shop...

goldenspike04.jpg

This was not so much my cup of tea but the kids and DH loved it. Later in the day or week (I don't remember which) we also visited this beauty. She was a mail train. She literally pick up bags without stopping, sort the mail, and drop it off at the next destination.

northbluff14.jpg

Yes, you can walk inside the train to check out the engine, the cars... etc.

northbluff20.jpg

Sitting right next to the old girl was this not so old girl

northbluff15.jpg

Once again you could go inside the engine..... and now I'm done with Trains.

This post should really be called Something for The Guys. Next up something for all you gearheads...

My son & DH were in hog heaven... or really Gearhead Heaven. Although DH is really a true gearhead, who wouldn't love these babies.....

carshow_new08.jpg

carshow_new22.jpg

carshow_new17.jpg

And finally THE One I Wish Could Tow My Home

carshow_new06.jpg

That's just a small taste of the cars there...

Next Up - A Mini Post On What We Sort Of Got To See

Us, interested in TR? You're kidding right?

Bring it on...better 7 months later, than never!

I was hoping someone might say that.

Awesome!

I can't wait to hear your story!

Thank you for taking the time to tell it.

Your photos are great too.

TCD

Thanks. We splurged for one of those fancy smancy cameras, like one of the TCD Twins have. Honestly, those cameras can make a two year old look like a professional.

A Mini Post On What We Sort Of Got To See

My fellow fiends, how many of you know the home of Buffalo Bill Cody..... well now I do. North Platte, Nebraska. At least, that's where he residing at some point in his life.

northbluff01.jpg

Now that there building above you houses a miniture Wild West Show with moving parts (below) as well as the knick knack souvenir shop from hades. (yes, my fiends I have become a souvenir shop connoisseur.)

northbluff03.jpg

And finally... Buffalo Bill's House, on his ranch. If you look really, really closely at the bottom of the picture you will see plastic. The plastic is from the sandbags pile up to protect the house from, you guessed it, the flooding North Platte River. The entire complex was closed as they removed everything they could in order to protect it from the waters. It looks like a gorgeous house.....

northbluff09.jpg

Now I'm off to read someone else's TR for now....

I'm glad that you got to see some things that you wanted to see! Love the old cars!

It really balanced out. We saw things we didn't expect to see so in the end it was ok. Beside we now have a reason to go back....

That house is not at all what I would have pictured Buffalo Bill living in.

Now that you mention that, it does seem like he'd be a tad out of place there!

Rather, well girly wasn't it?

I would have pictured a rough hewn log cabin....

All I can think of is look at that big crystal blue sky!!! Hard to believe they are expecting flooding!!

The flooding was already there is some places. We just didn't take pictures of it. The sky was gorgeous.

Wow, you are off to a great start. Love the train "hump" yard!

I didn't make it up.. that's that they call it.

Darn, I had the truck packed & the GPS set to go to Nebraska to the hump yard!!

Then, you had to go and tell me it's where they sort train cars? Such a downer Nicki. ;)

Love the old cars!

I'm sorry Stef. I knew you'd want to go there so I thought I'd just set you straight from the start. Besides it's probably a bit cold in Nebraska right now anyway.

Oh Give Me A Home

This will most likely be the last update for today. I am sorry if the pics are too large. I am pulling them off our blog so I don't have to upload them again and I don't know how to resize them.

I last left you in North Platte, Nebraska. After a week of work, sight seeing, some swimming, and a few storms we headed out to Custer, SD. The drive was sensational and in the rain...fun. We arrived at the Flintstone's Campground and theme park (from what we hear it's really only for little, little ones). The views from our campsite were unspeakable beautiful. I'm going to have to fish those out but until then here is a small sampling of the feast put before our eyes.

There are 3 National Park/Monuments with in easy driving distance of Custer. Jewel Cave is the closest. Although not our favorite of the caves we visited it is truly spectacular. And it has BACON in it..... Cave Bacon that is. Unfortunately, picture taking in caves is tricky.

custerSPJewelCave12.jpg

Davey Jones Or The Pit Of Sarlac in Jewel Cave-

custerSPJewelCave17.jpg

Of course there would be Buffalo, with the title of this post I had better have some buffalo in it. At this point we are driving through Custer State Park. Sorry... Melvin or any of his kind were MIA.

custerSPJewelCave04.jpg

Watch out Doodle! It's not a squirrel but it might distract you anyway. Prairie Dogs in Prairie Dog Town.

custerSPJewelCave05.jpg

This one is for DaveInTN and INC

custerSPJewelCave06.jpg

There is one special drive in Custer State Park. It's called the Needles Hwy (I think).

custerParkNeedlesHighway11.jpg

There are several "tunnels" on when driving to see the Needles. This would qualify as one of Stef's derrière work outs. You see that car below and how close it was to the sides. We were driving in the truck with the tow mirrors. We made it but there was some clinched muscles along the way.

custerParkNeedlesHighway08.jpg

Tow Mirrors In, Please -

custerParkNeedlesHighway01.jpg

Then there were the Needles -

custerParkNeedlesHighway03.jpg

custerParkNeedlesHighway03.jpg

Next Up - Wind, Faces, Rocks

That picture of the prairie dogs made me cry. I was the prairie dog officer for a while at Ft Hunter Liggett during the civil war.

Great trip report and wonderful pictures, we hope to join you in the ranks of fulltiming in 2 years so I will be reading along and taking notes to help us plan, so think of this TR as educational also, I know that does not happen often here!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can think of is look at that big crystal blue sky!!! Hard to believe they are expecting flooding!!

The flooding that was so devastating this year didn't come from Nebraska. Record snowfalls in Montana and Idaho created high snow levels in the mouintains to the northwest. When Spring came in it brought a lot of rain, which turned a normally steady snow melt (of a record amount of snow) into a record setting dumping of water. That overfilled rivers and reservoirs, flooding a lot of river territory in Nebrsaka and both Dakotas. We probably never really know the true extent and cost of the damage.

Sorry I'm late to the party, Nicki. I was spending quality time with my grown children. I wish I had been able to do something like this when they were young. The memories you all will have are priceless.

I was almost distracted by the prairie dogs but I kept my focus and I'm glad I did. This picture is just wonderful.custerSPJewelCave06.jpg