The Accidental Full Timers With Children - What The Fort!

What an awesome place!

The pictures don't even compare to the original... awesome.

Hey Nicki, I have a big problem with you and this great TR. What the heck do you guys look like anyway?

I've followed this thread from the start and nothing. I've gone to your blog and unless there are some photos of you and the family buried in there, nothing. All I've found was a pic of hubby and a small wedding photo.

Come on, make this TR even better, add you and the family to some of the pics.

Don't make us wait 10 months, 1 week, and 1 day.

BTW, and you may know this as you named your TT Minerva, that's Minnie's full name. Minnie is her nick name.

That is quite ironic about Minnie. We had no idea!

WOW!! That's all I can say about those pictures. I hope you realize how lucky you are to be able to travel like that (bear spray or no bear spray ;) )

I have to agree with Lou though, let's see some Nicki & family pics thrown in every now and again! :heartsmiley:

here is the thing on the pictures. we don't post kid picks online. All the recent pictures of me are from behind. My husband somehow only get's pics of me from the rear...go figure. I do have one that's about 18 months old of me on the tea cups... Dh is easy. I have several of him working on Minerva.

The landscapes are INCREDIBLE!!!!

if I could only show you ALL the pictures.....

Beautiful pictures!!! The Glacier update was worth waiting for.

What if I told you I had a picture that, IMHO, tops glacier?

I don't like roads with no shoulders or guardrails. Example... The road up Pike's Peak and the road to the Rocky Mountain National Park Alpine Visitors Center. How's the Going To The Sun Road? I saw in one of the pictures that at least part of the road has a short stone edge.

Going to the sun Road is twisty, has some brick walls, some guardrails, and some places without. Just DONT look down...look out. It takes a serious amount of concentration on the drivers part if you are in a large vehicle... but it is worth the effort.

To answer Stef-

Yes, I completely understand exactly how blessed we are. I don't for a second take it for granted and try to cherish every moment. Life is unpredicitable and the only time you can be sure of it the time you have at this very moment. Those kids will be gone to college or out living their lives before I know it. I want us all to have memories to cherish.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Eyes... My Eyes... Somebody Stop the Slide show... PLEASE Now for that park you've been asking for..... Glacier National Park. A few things to remember: 1. The Fort AT Halloween has more parking

The pictures don't even compare to the original... awesome. That is quite ironic about Minnie. We had no idea! here is the thing on the pictures. we don't post kid picks online. All the recent pict

sorry about the same picture showing up multiple times.... I have removed it but for the one that's should be there. Was having issues with the pictures showing up at all and then didn't check it aft

Hurricane... They have a Hurricane in Washington?

******WARNING THIS POST MIGHT MAKE YOU CONSIDER SKIPPING ONE FORT WILDERNESS TRIP IN ORDER TO VISIT PICTURED AREA... IF ONLY FOR A FEW SECONDS*****

Did you know that scientist now believe that bears don't hibernate in the winter? Just sleep really hard.

So what's this a Hurricane in Washington business? Don't I know that it's called something else in the pacific? Yes, I did.

But did you know there is a place in Washington State that receives hurricane force winds regularly? I do now.

Wanna know what they call it? Hurricane Ridge. Hurricane Ridge is located in the Olympic National Park just across the Sound from Seattle.

Some might believe after Glacier that there simply could not be any mountain views that could beat what had been seen. Some might be wrong, as I was.

The drive starts a little something like this -

blogOlympicNP01.jpg

Then starts to look a little something like this -

blogOlympicNP02.jpg

Progresses to this - (I might have a small thing about taking pictures of the tunnels)

blogOlympicNP03.jpg

Until suddenly you round a corner to see this -

blogOlympicNP07.jpg

And this -

blogOlympicNP09.jpg

Then there was this -

blogOlympicNP10.jpg

Let's not forget this one (it was late July and still snow was on the ground) -

blogOlympicNP05.jpg

I did not see this one in person (whimped out on the last MASSIVE hill of a hike) but this is an active ski patrol station during the winter-

blogOlympicNP11.jpg

Now an important piece of advice. Just because you already have pictures of the drive does NOT mean you should put up your camera. If I had, we wouldn't have these picture to share with you-

blogOlympicNP13.jpg

blogOlympicNP12.jpg

What do you think? Does Hurricane Ridge measure up to glacier?

Some Trivia for you -

We originally planned to go into Seattle. Seattle was the entire reason for our stop. However, the olympic peninsula was so gorgeous we never made it on the ferry and across the sound. Unfortunately, we missed a lot of what could be seen on the peninsula... we plan on going back. There is a rain forest, the 101 to drive, and much more beauty. Maybe we will get to that fish market next trip...maybe.

And Lou, don't think I don't know why you want to see my picture. First you know what the trailer looks like, then you know what the family looks like, next you want pictures of the pie, then it will be... and in 10 months, 1 week and 1 day a handsome man will come knocking on my door waiting to spike me....... :jumpforjoy :rofl2:. . Will nov ever get here?

(Durn it I should have taken a picture of the pie! Fort!)

Next Up - OMG... It is SOOOO Forting Cold!

blogOlympicNP07.jpg

Just beautiful.

And Lou, don't think I don't know why you want to see my picture. First you know what the trailer looks like, then you know what the family looks like, next you want pictures of the pie, then it will be... and in 10 months, 1 week and 1 day a handsome man will come knocking on my door waiting to spike me.

Durn it I should have taken a picture of the pie!

When that handsome man shows up with a spike, tell him that you're saving the apple pie for me.

Nah, give Andrew a slice, we're friends.

To answer Stef-

Yes, I completely understand exactly how blessed we are. I don't for a second take it for granted and try to cherish every moment. Life is unpredicitable and the only time you can be sure of it the time you have at this very moment. Those kids will be gone to college or out living their lives before I know it. I want us all to have memories to cherish.

Amen!! :hugs2:

For Lou & Stef -

(Sorry the size is so small. Was too lazy to upload it to flicker/picassa/whatever)

Shawn -

removal4.jpg

Thanks! It's nice to put a face with the name, even if it's a tiny face. :))

I totally understand about not posting kid pics. I tend to forget since my kid is 21.

Please save some of that apple pie for your hubby! He looks like he needs to eat one!

(let me guess, he eats all the time and stays that thin?) :banghead:

I can't say anything about the latest batch of pics that I haven't already said. I can only imagine how beautiful the scenery is in person. Thanks for sharing your journeys with us.

Wonderful pictures looks like it was a great trip, thanks for showing a picture of the hut for the ski patrol they do a great job and hardly ever get recognized for it and most are volunteers, but who would not do it for free with views like that. Thanks again.

Wow I just had the first chance to sit and read your TR, what a wonderful trip. I am enjoying travling with you.

Welcome aboard. You must be really tiny. I searched the trailer for you this morning, to offer you some coffee, and I couldn't find you. :rofl2:

Seriously, I'm glad you are enjoying the journey.

Just beautiful.

When that handsome man shows up with a spike, tell him that you're saving the apple pie for me.

Nah, give Andrew a slice, we're friends.

I am pretty sure that pictures is my absolute favorite shot. Before going on this trip, when someone says mountain range I pictured something very similar to that. The best part is you have no clue until you come around that last turn exactly what awaits you. It is a pick your chin up off the tarmac moment.

Well since Andrew hasn't posted in the last few days... I know I was talking about you. But I am sure I can save a slice for both of the handsome men.. maybe you could show up together. You could both even have a bit of pie to take home. Just don't tell Stef, she might get jealous if both you and Andrew show up at the same time....

Please save some of that apple pie for your hubby! He looks like he needs to eat one!

(let me guess, he eats all the time and stays that thin?) :banghead:

I call him the stick man because he can forting eat an entire pie EVERYDAY and he stays skinnier than a rail... disgusting. :banghead:

Although, I honestly hope the kids get his metabolism.

Wonderful pictures looks like it was a great trip, thanks for showing a picture of the hut for the ski patrol they do a great job and hardly ever get recognized for it and most are volunteers, but who would not do it for free with views like that. Thanks again.

It is a spectacular trip.

The ski patrol and park rangers, neither get the proper credit.

did you know you can get addicted to those gorgeous views? I am convinced I am.

Ps. I should be getting an update up this evening but not before...we are visiting family again this week.

OMG... It is SOOOO Forting Cold!

I have to admit I left the Olympic Peninsula feeling a bit upset that we had to go. I'd already made reservations and paid for the next campground so I couldn't be flexible. If not, I might have stayed a lot longer. We didn't even scratch the surface.

Another tidbit of advice - even if you don't plan on leaving the country TAKE YOUR PASSPORT. We could have run over the border for a day of sightseeing but we didn't have passports/birth certificates/ etc.

From Port Townsend, WA we headed south into Oregon. Hwy 101 is simply a gorgeous ride.

There is something about the West. It has so much beauty in it (not saying the East doesn't.. just that we haven't done that trip yet). Just when you think it can't give you anything else to appease your addicted eyes, it does.

We stopped on Netarts Bay for a week. Netarts is just outside of Tillamook, OR. Here we visited the Cheese Factory and got some ice cream, fudge, and cheese.

We also went to the Quilt Museum (they actually have artesians that use huge looms to make items to sell). They also have some type of Quilt Expo going on. The quilts we saw can only be considered works of art!

Our campsite - sadly not on the beach but still a beautiful sight to wake up too. I loved having my coffee outside in the morning.

oregonWeb01.jpg

Speaking of beaches, and I was gonna show you some pics from a distance but they aren't uploaded, we took the kids to play in the ocean for the first time. OH MY FORT! It was forting cold. We drove about 15 miles to the nearest beach to play in the water for about 15 minutes before running back to the truck and heading home. I later found out, from a nurse friend, that it is possible to get hypothermia IN Early Sept in Oregon by playing in the ocean for too long. Unheard of in the South. (sorry bout the lack of pics here. kinda messes with my title... frankfort it!)

We drove about 20 minutes to hike about 20 minutes to this waterfall-

oregonWeb03.jpg

After visiting the waterfall, we saw this Air Museum. It is one of the largest wood buildings ever built and full of Aviation stuff. My boys LOVED it. Check out the website if your interested.

oregonWeb07.jpg

A few days later we were off to see our first lighthouse. Sadly you could not view the lenses. A couple of people, familiar with either Stef's Solo Cups, Kungalash(loosh)?, or Dave's Foreign Beer had decided to shoot up the original lenses... Yes, they were caught. Yes, they are paying restitution... of an interesting sort.

oregonWeb11.jpg

The view to or from the lighthouse

oregonWeb10.jpg

Netarts Bay from another angle- (I think)

oregonWeb19.jpg

The Octopus Tree- They think it was trained by the Native Americans.. but I don't remember why. History buffs... your up-

oregonWeb15.jpg

By the way, you've now had at least one shot of the back of my kids' heads...maybe two.

By the way, it was in Tillamook that my avatar pic was snapped. here it is in full size-

oregonWeb08.jpg

I think I'll leave you with that one......

More great pictures.

Glad you showed your avatar in normal size. I always thought it was hot dogs on some kind of George Foreman grill!

Drake dog is much cuter than hot dog!

Your kids have very cute heads

:rofl:

Wow is all I ahve to say. I did not really read this TR until today. I was hooked from page one. You have been to allot interesting places. I have to been to many of them myself, but only visiting not RVing. I lived in WA for 4 years and was able to travel the area. Your pictures are amazing, but with that area one must experience it in person. I do suggest you visit Seattle though. It is worth the trip if you ever make it back there.

I look forward to more.

Very much looking forward to reading more of your Trip Report.

The pictures are breath taking.

So you thought you could sneak in under the radar, nice try.

Welcome to Fort Fiends!!!!!!!!

I caught her too Carol.

By the way, it was in Tillamook that my avatar pic was snapped. here it is in full size-

oregonWeb08.jpg

So that's what your avatar is. You can't really see the doggie in the window.

Gorgeous pics of the Olympic Peninsula. INC and I actually fell in love while tent camping on Bainbridge Island, across the Sound from Seattle. I remember sitting on a driftwood log on the beach looking across the water at the skyline of Seattle in the distance, and knowing that I was going to marry her. So I will always have good memories of our time in Seattle. If you do get back there sometime, definitely plan several days to explore the city. But looking at those pics of Olympic, I don't blame you one bit for not making it into the city last time.

Can't Multi Quote for some reason -

Carol & Cherie -

You can keep saying it. Doesn't make it less true. And I agree it doesn't seem to be descriptive enough, but I don't think anything would be.

Stef -

I can't answer the hot dog comment. The Tag fairy would have a field day with anything I could say on that. Sometimes it's just better to refrain.

I'm just impressed my daughter remembered to BRUSH her hair that day. Or I remembered to tackle her and brush it myself (she now sports a pixie ... an incident caused by Junie B. Jones).

Devores-

I am glad you are enjoying my journey. It's been amazing so far. It is very true that one really needs to experience it. It's so green and lush.

We plan on returning in a few years time. I plan on visiting Seattle, Victoria Island, and camping around the 101. The rain forest... I have so many plans for that area. Crater Lake... plans, plans, plans!

Lou-

Nothing gets past you and Carol.

Funny how different it is knowing what's in the window as opposed to what others see when they look at a picture. BUT did anyone notice his tongue?

Dave-

All I can say is "Awwwww.... that's so sweet!" You've just melted the heart of every woman reading this thread!

See above response to Devores on the plans!