• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the free wired access at the campsites, would you still need to get a modem from the outpost? I can't imagine they have enough of them for that demand.

Good question. I would assume so that you would still need one. I guess I am glad I can use my phone as a hotspot just in case.

Nope. All of their modems have been keyed into their system.

When you have your own cable modem or router in your home, you have to call the cable company and give them a code from your equipment.

Don't think Disney's cable company would allow that.

Nope. All of their modems have been keyed into their system.

When you have your own cable modem or router in your home, you have to call the cable company and give them a code from your equipment.

Don't think Disney's cable company would allow that.

Makes sense.

But now I am wondering how they're going to handle the likely increase in demand for cable modems once people hear that internet service is now FREE??

When we've used their equipment in the past, we had to reserve it ahead and they only had a few available.

Just a reminder that the announcement said "for now".

I'm assuming that WiFi for the campsites is still in the works, but is not ready at this time.

There have been reports (unconfirmed) that there is an expanded WiFi project in the works at the Fort right now, and it's still ongoing.

I'd be willing to bet that eventually they'll cover campsites as well, but that might be a little trickier with the layout of the sites at the Fort - vs hotel rooms.

What the heck is going on here?

In post 23 above, Monique reports that free wifi in the resort rooms will arrive on October 14.

Then in post 24 the announcement says that it's available now.

On our recent stay at the Contemporary Resort on 2/29, we received free wifi in our room. None of the material we received at check in or in the room announced this, so I figured that maybe we were near whatever they use to provide it in the lobby. But, according to the latest announcement, all the rooms in the Contemporary have free wifi now.

TCD

Probably a money thing. October 1 is the beginning of the fiscal year, probably couldn't budget it unil then, but then a contractor may have wanted the business and cut them a deal they coudln't refuse??

(Or big Disney put pressure on a contractor and bullied them into starting sooner)

• 2 weeks later...
There are rumors that campers in some loops are starting to pickup the WiFi signal.

Anyone there to test that out?

I can't see how setting it up would be that hard. All they need to do is put the antennas on the CS. The cabins would be harder in my opinion.

There are rumors that campers in some loops are starting to pickup the WiFi signal.

Anyone there to test that out?

I plan on checking this out Thursday afternoon.

I've heard rumors that campers in 600 and 900 are picking up the WiFi signal.

I've also heard that if you bring your own router that you can use it instead of renting Disney's.

Can anyone at the Fort (or going soon) confirm?

Can you please tell me how we connect a router and use it in the camper? Does it connect to the cable outlet? As you can see, we're kind of clueless about these things. If it's not wireless, we're dead in the water :rofl2:

Can you please tell me how we connect a router and use it in the camper? Does it connect to the cable outlet? As you can see, we're kind of clueless about these things. If it's not wireless, we're dead in the water :rofl2:

The routers that they provide connect to the cable. The kits they lend out have a cable splitter so you can connect both the router and your TV. If you bring your own router, you will need to bring your own cable splitter- and enough cable for both the router and TV. If you are allowed to bring your own, then your wireless router would send a signal after being connected to the cable.

For some reason, I don't think they are going to give folks the ability to set up their own wireless routers. I think all of those signals might be a problem for the other communication that they use around WDW.

TCD

The routers that they provide connect to the cable. The kits they lend out have a cable splitter so you can connect both the router and your TV. If you bring your own router, you will need to bring your own cable splitter- and enough cable for both the router and TV. If you are allowed to bring your own, then your wireless router would send a signal after being connected to the cable.

For some reason, I don't think they are going to give folks the ability to set up their own wireless routers. I think all of those signals might be a problem for the other communication that they use around WDW.

TCD

Thank you so much! I'm sure my husband can follow your directions. Have a wonderful weekend. :jumpforjoy

So.... lemme get this straight (this is the part of technology I am *not* a geek about)...

Even if you bring your own router, you'll still need their cable modem, correct?

Geez, once the word gets out that internet is currently FREE, they're will likely be a run on those things and I can't imagine they had all that many to begin with.

They'd better hurry up and finish that WiFi project!

Yes, because their cable modem has the code that is needed to connect with their cable system. You could bring your own cable modem, then attempt to get on the phone with their cable technical support and give them a number that is inside of your cable modem, but really do you want that hassle??

But if you use their cable modem and bring your own router, then you can run multiple computers off of that cable modem. So for example at a Fiend gathering one person can get the cable modem, and their own wireless router, and multiple folks can use the internet near your site!