A Trip Report Sure to Win Applesauce. . .TCD's NYE 2011 TR!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're going to visit the Four Seasons, am I right??

YEA DAVE!!! WHERE?!?!?

This whole "spankula" thing...am I the only one reminded of the movie "Stripes", where Bill Murray gives the girl "The Aunt Jemimah Treatment"?

The picture is indeed Davy Crockett's sidekick George Russell.

He was played in the TV series by Buddy Ebsen. You probably saw Buddy as The Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz and again as Jed Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies. Later he appeared as Barnaby Jones.

You're close, Buddy did have the role of the Tin man first but had to drop out do to a near fatal allergy to the silver make-up they were using. He was replaced in the film by Jack Hayley.

Thanks TCD. If I had a cart and lived closer than 28 hours from FW I'd be more than happy to let you borrow it also. It's the least I could do in return for all these great trip reports. :jumpforjoy

Can't wait to read more.

Jeff

Jeff-

That's good to know.

Are there any campgrounds near you that allow golf carts?

I'll drive 28 hours and borrow your golf cart and write a really nice trip report.

Just say the word.

:yay: Great beginning. I am looking forward to more. My expectations are very high. I mean... any report that can win applesauce has to be a doozy right?

(Note to Stef.... Mrs. Devores and I saw TCD in a swimsuit. Imagine the dreams we have. :raspberry2:)

Ok. I'm finished with my commenting before I get into trouble with H. ;D

Yes, no more swimsuit comments.

I don't want any trouble from H either.

Good job on noticing the title to this report. There is a story that goes with it, which we will get to in due time.

This TR is heading to an unexpected place... real quick!

And none of us want to see that!

So, no more swimsuit or dream comments.

We will just stick to the report.

Thank you very much.

Oh how I wish I was in the 1500 loop again for this New Years!

It's nice to have some detailed pictures of these items. Most of the time when I'm at WDW, there is so much to look at and I start to feel overwhelmed. Sensory overload!

Can I put in a request for you to do a researched tour of Main Street?

Yes, it's too bad you missed this year!

The weather was great!

I will be bragging about that later.

A guided tour of Main Street?

I don't think I'm quaified to do that.

But maybe I will give it a try some time.

There is a lot of interesting stuff around there.

The picture is indeed Davy Crockett's sidekick George Russell.

He was played in the TV series by Buddy Ebsen. You probably saw Buddy as The Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz and again as Jed Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies. Later he appeared as Barnaby Jones.

Thanks Gary!

Or Carol?

Sure I know Buddy Ebsen! Wooo Doggie, I love me some Beverly Hillbillies! Now that you mention it, that is a portrait of Buddy, not the real George Russell, isn't it?

And I think the Davy portrait is actually a portrait of the actor who portrayed him, too.

TCD

You're close, Buddy did have the role of the Tin man first but had to drop out do to a near fatal allergy to the silver make-up they were using. He was replaced in the film by Jack Hayley.

Nicely done, Cherie!

I didn't catch that!

And you are doing that from the road!

HAROLD0022.jpg

Davy was all the rage when I was little

Harold, that is hilarious!

Thanks for sharing that!

You haven't changed a bit!

And what do you mean when you were little?

I think you and I are about the same age, and I don't remember Davy being cool when I was little.

Although for sake of full disclosure I did have a Gunsmoke lunch box (my dad picked it out for me- he was the fan not me).

TCD

What a shame that all that stuff sits unnoticed! I remember as a kid, Crockett's looked very different, but I can't really remember the set- up other than there was a shooting game.

It's funny what sticks in your head as a kid.

They really should recognize that stuff somehow.

I will refrain from commenting on shimmying up the pole.

Great picture Memphis! :heart:

I thought back in the day, 70s and 80s, the arcade games were down where Crocket's is currently. Then agin, like Stef said, there was a shooting game too.

To many red solo cups in between to be sure now.

Oh goodie! A new TR to follow during break!!! :mademyday:

Great tour of Crockett's! I'm loving all the details. Honestly, I've never ventured past the take-out/refill area. Now, it's on the must-do-next-trip list.

:suspense:

It's either a gift or a curse, my kids say my head is filled with useless knowledge. 8)

Hey, that's better than what my kids say about me.

What a shame that all that stuff sits unnoticed! I remember as a kid, Crockett's looked very different, but I can't really remember the set- up other than there was a shooting game.

It's funny what sticks in your head as a kid.

They really should recognize that stuff somehow.

I will refrain from commenting on shimmying up the pole.

Great picture Memphis! :heart:

Thank you for your restraint.

So, what was the shooting game. I think you've mentioned this before, but what was it? Did you shoot a rifle? Like the shooting gallery at MK or what?

I thought back in the day, 70s and 80s, the arcade games were down where Crocket's is currently. Then agin, like Stef said, there was a shooting game too.

To many red solo cups in between to be sure now.

I think it was Discamper who told me that there were pool tables and such in this area.

I suspect by the time that menu was printed it was configured like it is today, but the downstairs area was Crockett's and the upstairs Trail's End.

Oh goodie! A new TR to follow during break!!! :mademyday:

Great tour of Crockett's! I'm loving all the details. Honestly, I've never ventured past the take-out/refill area. Now, it's on the must-do-next-trip list.

:suspense:

Good. I don't know why more people, including me, don't hang out at the bar. The one thing that makes it tricky is that they shut it down at 9:30 during the week and 10 pm on weekends. Some bar.

I have never had a Gullywhumper drink, and I have only heard that such a drink exists, but I will check on this on one of my future visits.

TCD

Hmmm-

I was just looking at the Crockett's photos one last time before moving on, and I noticed something in one of the photos that I didn't notice when I was there.

It looks like there is something hanging on the wall there behind the Gullywhumper model. I circled the item in red:

IMG_2369-1.jpg

I'll bet that is the target that Davy shot with one "bullit."

I'll have to check on this on my next visit.

TCD

Cool, I was shooting (no Davy Crockett pun intended) to make it onto page 2.

Your pictures and narratives are great as usual.

You timed your departure well. Got so cold that the Fort personnel put all the water hoses on drip to keep them fromfreezing.

I have never had a Gullywhumper drink, and I have only heard that such a drink exists, but I will check on this on one of my future visits.

TCD

Imma always wantin' to be well-edjamucated, so I's thunk to google the mixins to that thar drink. Hrmph! Only findin' sum musical gang by that thar name....no recipe! Looks like yer gonna have to do some recon-like work to help me with ma researchin'... :clint:

Just for Doodle, I am going to squeeze in one more little update today.

After I left Crockett's tavern, I had a good look around the Settlement.

I love the Fort's big Christmas tree, so I took another photo of it, as it will be another year before we get to see it again:

IMG_2379.jpg

and, just because that's how I roll, here is a photo of the same spot from last July:

100_0950.jpg

I love both views. Notice how the Crape Myrtle trees have shed their leaves and flowers.

But, don't worry, it won't be long before the leaves and flowers return.

From here, I walked over to Pioneer Hall.

As I have mentioned before, I would very much like to find a way up to the observation deck on top of Pioneer Hall.

So far, I have only been able to shimmy up to the balcony in front of the building.

The view from here is cool and all, but I really want to get to the top!

For now, we must settle for this view of the Settlement bus stop:

IMG_2380.jpg

Did you notice anything in that Christmas tree or bus stop photo?

No people!

I love to be the first one up at the Fort!

Here's a view of the Christmas tree before I slid back down from the balcony:

IMG_2383.jpg

You can see Bay Lake in the background through the trees.

And there are the second people up at the Fort on December 29th.

Here's the last shot from the balcony. I like how this photo turned out. That puny Christmas tree back there is a prop for the Hoop Dee Doo Review photos that they take before the show:

IMG_2384.jpg

S70 already shared photos of the snowpeople they have set up back by the Backyard BBQ, but I took some, so I will share mine, too:

IMG_2385.jpg

They haven't decorated back here for Christmas before, but they did this year.

I kind of like what they did to the stage here:

IMG_2387.jpg

I like how all of the toys they have displayed are from the parks- that rocket ship is from Mission Space in Epcot, the Dinosaur is like the ones they sell in Animal Kingdom, and there is also a Slinky Dog, and pieces from a Magic Kingdom model train set.

Here's a close-up of one of the toy train cars:

IMG_2388.jpg

Over on the other side of the stage it was more Disney characters and even a little Tinkerbell:

IMG_2389.jpg

Last December was one of the coldest on record in Florida.

This December has been pretty mild.

As I mentioned, it hit 80 on Christmas day where we live.

These poor azelea plants in the old River Country area have been fooled in to thinking that it is already Spring:

IMG_2390.jpg

(please ignore the rotting River Country slides in the background of that photo).

(in case you are wondering, there is nothing at all going on in terms of construction activity around River Country)

I have said it before, but I will say it again- it amazes me how no matter what the time of year, there are always flowers blooming somewhere in the Fort.

And not just a few flowers.

A lot of flowers.

Here is an old flowering bush which is left over from River Country:

IMG_2391.jpg

And here's a close up of one of its flowers:

IMG_2392.jpg

Remember, I took this photo on December 29. Some of you were someplace where it was cold and gloomy that day.

But, I was at the Fort enjoying this beautiful creation which was basically growing wild in an all but abandoned area of Walt Disney World.

I am blessed.

These impatiens are also left over from the days of River Country, and are just growing wild:

IMG_2393.jpg

Up in that tree over there, you can see that a flame vine is blooming:

IMG_2394.jpg

It's still December 29th.

And I am surrounded by all of this beauty.

And it is all just growing wild.

Did I mention that I am blessed?

Well, I am.

From here, it was time for me to head out on another mission.

I had spotted something earlier in the morning that I needed to go and check on.

And now was the time.

But, first, I had to stop and take in one of my favorite views in all of the Fort.

You know the one.

This:

IMG_2395.jpg

Extra credit if you noticed the MK boat there just to the left of the center heading toward the Fort dock.

From here, I parked my cart at my site, and headed out to explore something new.

Remember I said I explored something old?

That was Crockett's tavern.

Now we are going to explore something new.

Something brand new.

You can see it from the Fort, but it's not really part of the Fort.

But, it's close enough that we need to check on it.

So that's where we will be heading next.

TCD

IMG_2392.jpg

Remember, I took this photo on December 29. Some of you were someplace where it was cold and gloomy that day.

::) Thanks for the splash of color in my day! :heartsmiley:

Now, are you taking us to the kennel? :P

I bet you could give me a run for my money at the pole shimmying skills! ;)

It did give you a great shot of the Pioneer hall sign. Sometimes, being in a weird position gives the best results.

I did not notice the MK boat in your special spot until you pointed it out. The way the the weeds are half hiding it, it kind of looks like an old 20,000 leagues sub! Cool!