Merry Snickerdoodle and Happy Dole Whip! A TR Full of Christmas Joy!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mon, 12/19

We are up and out early today. Getting up was kinda painful but I was feeling better.

My best girlfriend Judy lives in Orlando, she moved there from South FL in December 2010. To say that Maddie adores her is an understatement. They are two peas in a pod, really. Judy has a way with children that is so wonderful. Part of it is she's a big kid at heart.

Judy came to see us at the Fort in February 2011. The park ranger was looping and saw us all outside, stopped and chatted for a while. He concentrated his efforts mostly on Judy...and when he left, gave her his "business card" and told her to contact him if she ever needed or wanted anything. Pretty shameless attempt to hit on her in my opinion, and he tried HARD. We still laugh about that.

We meet Judy at Epcot at 8:30am and wait for the gates to open. She had never ridden Soarin' or Test Track before so Maddie was pretty excited that she got to do those with her for the first time. We got FP's for both rides so we could do them again later.

Once we were done with those two rides, we did some shopping in Mousegear. Maddie wanted her "brave ears".

Side story.....I got Maddie her first pair of ears (a hat) when we took her to Disney for the first time in '08. Every trip since then, we've asked her to try a ride that she wouldn't attempt before. We began referring to her ear hat as brave ears - they gave her courage to try something new. And it's worked! Thanks to brave ears, she's ridden things like BTMRR (which quickly became her favorite ride), ToT (which she rode and loved, next trip it scared her then we go back and she rides it 11 times in a row b/c of the ears), Space Mountain, and Expedition Everest (which she says she doesn't like). That's one of those traditions that we've started that I'm sure will stay with us forever - even when she's 28 she'll still need to buy brave ears!

She does tell us that she doesn't need the magic in the brave ears this time because she's ridden everything that she's tall enough to ride - and she's right - but she wants ears anyway. I really wanted the red sequined ears with the green sequined bow, but apparently the other million folks there did too so we weren't able to get those. She decided on the silver sequined ear headband, which I thought was still great since it was Christmas.

I also pick up a couple of things for Hubs for Christmas and have them sent back to FW.

We headed over to World Showcase and leisurely walked around for what felt like the entire day.

We eat an early lunch at the little joint where you get fish & chips in England and sit right by the water to eat.

Here's Maddie in front of the tree at the American Adventure:

330.jpg

And another...

331.jpg

At this point, Judy and Maddie have traded hats....and Maddie is wearing her Yuengling hat. :)

The gingerbread house at American Adventure:

337.jpg

I LOVE this picture, and the next one. So much so that we printed copies, I bought frames at Meadows and we gave them to Judy for Christmas:

341.jpg

342.jpg

343.jpg

Then we get to Mexico. Maddie and Judy participate in the Kidcot event (which Maddie always does, but only in Mexico for some reason), Hubs sits down for a while, and I go inside to HIT THE BAR and shop!

346.jpg

Nice family shot (thanks Judy):

349.jpg

Where's Maddie?

353.jpg

We also ride the 3 Amigos (it's called something different...Gran Fiesta de something something something). We do it every time! We skipped Maelstrom this time because the wait was 35 minutes).

Epcot tree:

356.jpg

Thought this was cute:

361.jpg

From there, we went and rode Captain EO. I'm pretty sure all of us are still recovering from that. It may require therapy.

We used our FP's for Soarin and Test Track. And NO trip to Epcot would be complete without Spaceship Earth! That ride is cool and lame at the same time. Maddie loves that damn ride. Hubs loves to nap on that damn ride. We both love making stupid faces for the camera so in our trips to the future, we look...well, like ourselves....

At this point it was about 6, so we decided to head for Judy's car and figure out what to do about dinner. We were headed to DTD but we decided to go.....off property, SHHHHHH!!!!....and go to TGIFriday's. Maddie has a BIG issue with just the idea of going off property during our vacations. It's so strange to me, but I have to say, I kinda understand how she feels. We could see the "WELCOME TO DISNEY" sign from the restaurant practically, but Maddie was still kinda anxious about it. But, we had LOTS of fun at dinner - sat there for close to 2 hours! We laughed and laughed and laughed, until it hurt, really.

What a great day! I really hated to see it come to an end....but that's what happens to all good things, right?

She dropped us off back at the Fort around 9.

Thanks, Judy. We had a GREAT day with you!! See you real soon!

Coming up....a morning to chill, the start of our resort tour, and the most moving story of the life of Jesus I've ever heard....

There's no denying who Maddie's daddy is. Not only do they look alike, but even the expressions on their faces are identical.

Oh Lou.....do I know that! They could be twins! Their similarities don't end with their looks. She thinks like him. I see another enginerd in my family!!

I'm still following along, Holly. Both updates were awesome. Why didn't I think of "brave ears" when my daughter was Maddie's age. Mine is 28 by the way and is my Disney buddy!!

Glad you all had such a good time, now I'm all caught up and ready for more!!!

I'm still following along, Holly. Both updates were awesome.

I'll second that!!

It all makes sense to me now! I don't ride Space mt. or Everest, as I've never had brave ears. (or a strong enough stomach) ;)

You are still doing a great job on this report!

I love the story about the brave ears!

It was fun to see the photos of Maddie with Judy. It is great that you have such a good friend like that.

And to Lou, good catch on that photo- you are right about the likeness of dad and daughter.

I'm not looking forward to the end of this report, but I do want to hear more.

TCD

Holly I love the pictures of Maddie with your BFF. I'm sure that will always be a special relationship for them. I need Brave Ears too!

Thanks, Rita! Judy and I have been friends since 9th grade. I was her matron of honor, etc....it's THAT kind of friendship and yes it is so special to me! But, what makes it even more special is that she's so in love with my daughter and daughter feels that way about her. I love the positive adult female influences that Maddie has! We're so blessed.

Well what is not to love about Judy! If you have one great friend in life.. you have something really great!

(I'm with Maddie... we don't like going off property either. The magic stops at the property line. ) ;D

TOTALLY agree, Kim! On all counts! Going off property does kill the magic...

You have great taste in a best friend, a good looking girl with good taste in beer, looks like a perfect woman to me :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :beer:

Yeah, she's pretty freakin' cool. I'll tell her you said so.

I'm still following along, Holly. Both updates were awesome. Why didn't I think of "brave ears" when my daughter was Maddie's age. Mine is 28 by the way and is my Disney buddy!!

Glad you all had such a good time, now I'm all caught up and ready for more!!!

Haha Cherie. Brave ears were a way of getting her to ride big girl rides without whining about it. :)

I need brave ears for work!

I'll second that!!

It all makes sense to me now! I don't ride Space mt. or Everest, as I've never had brave ears. (or a strong enough stomach) ;)

Brave ears will help with courage, Stef....not sure about that stomach though. Might want to try Pepto for that.

There is nothing wrong with us enginerds. Of course I am afraid my son could be one too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw

LOL. I never said there was anything wrong with enginerds! I love mine and I really do hope she follows suit. I just love the way she thinks and processes things....

Looks like another awesome day!!! I love your pictures of the decorations!!!

Thanks Carol!!

You are still doing a great job on this report!

I love the story about the brave ears!

It was fun to see the photos of Maddie with Judy. It is great that you have such a good friend like that.

And to Lou, good catch on that photo- you are right about the likeness of dad and daughter.

I'm not looking forward to the end of this report, but I do want to hear more.

TCD

Aww, thanks TCD. Doing this report is so much fun, especially since I get to relive the trip. It's also cool to share it with folks that appreciate it as much as I do.

Yeah, I could never deny that Hubs is her daddy (not that there is a reason to). She does have some of my features but for the most part, I was simply an incubator for 40 weeks.

And no worries! I still have 6 more days to cover! WOWZA!!!

Given your loyalty, are you able too concentrate on anything?

Ouch. Low blow.

I'll stop commenting on the shirts now. I'm going to go concentrate on how many times UGA has beaten tech in football over the past decade. There are so many wins that I'm going to have to concentrate really hard to remember all of them.

Regardless, I'm still enjoying the TR despite the annoying buzzing I keep hearing!

Ouch. Low blow.

I'll stop commenting on the shirts now. I'm going to go concentrate on how many times UGA has beaten tech in football over the past decade. There are so many wins that I'm going to have to concentrate really hard to remember all of them.

Regardless, I'm still enjoying the TR despite the annoying buzzing I keep hearing!

I am glad you are enjoying the TR. And I am glad you can concentrate on at least one thing.That gives me hope.... ;)

Tues, 12/20

Well, after a late night on Sunday and a full day on Monday, we decided to sleep in on Tuesday. And for me, sleeping in is 7:15am. Madeline woke up around 8 and Hubs woke up around 10. None of us can remember the last time he slept that late but then again, I can't remember the last time I slept past 8.

Tuesday was the first day I really felt GOOD. I didn't feel achy, nose wasn't running, throat didn't hurt. I woke up and felt like a new person. That was nice.

We enjoyed a light late breakfast and just hung around the camper. We had plans for the Candlelight Processional that evening. Booked the dinner package so we were guaranteed a seat without having to wait in line for an hour and a half. so, a 5:15 reservation at Rose & Crown and the 8pm show.

We had a quick lunch and then decided to start touring the resorts to check out the Christmas decorations. So we headed down to the marina. I wanted to start our tour with our first official picture of the FW Christmas tree:

004.jpg

I get this shot every trip. This one currently graces my signature line.

006.jpg

We jumped a boat to Wilderness Lodge. I really, really love this hotel. We have never stayed there. We have done dinner at Whispering Canyon a few times and each time we go, I like it even more. I am hoping to stay there someday...probably not for a week long trip, as I would prefer to stay at FW for the full week vacations. Possibly a long weekend one of these days.

So we took some pictures around the lobby.

The tree was so impressive.

010-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

Another family shot that made it to the Christmas card:

020.jpg

Beautifully decorated fireplace:

022.jpg

This one gives you an idea of the size of that tree. Madeline is standing at the base of it. WOW!

029.jpg

So we hop another boat over to MK...

031.jpg

And catch the monorail over to the Contemporary. LOVE the HUGE Mickey made of big wreaths (it lit up at night):

037-1.jpg

The gingerbread house:

039.jpg

The gingerbread tree. I thought this was cute:

041-1.jpg

And their big tree, out front:

044-1.jpg

I don't care much for the Contemporary. Too "sterile" for my taste. Just my opinion, but the only quality about Contemporary that I like is Chef Mickey's.

We decided it was time to head over to Epcot for our dinner reservation. We got back on the monorail, went over to TTC and took the Epcot monorail. We took our time, as we had plenty of it, and I have to say it was so nice to be at a speed that was foreign to me at Disney. While we were walking, I was thinking about a lot of things. I was so excited about the Candlelight Processional and all of a sudden, this overwhelming sense of peace came over me. I wish I knew how to explain it....but all of the events of the year were racing through my mind, and I was thinking about the million times throughout the year when I wondered if this trip would even happen, and I had that feeling I had already had a thousand times so far that week - just complete disbelief that we were here! I had been planning this trip for so long...so many small details and so many cool things/events....and here we are, doing these things, seeing these things....I could keep rambling but I don't think you all need any more proof that I need therapy. ;)

We walked back to World Showcase and still had about 25 minutes before we could check in. This was the point where Maddie declared she wanted to start collecting pins. So we took her to the pin station in England and let her shop. She bought 4 really cute pins. And I picked up a couple to put in her stocking. And just as soon as she decided she wanted to collect pins, she decided she wanted to trade pins. She found another girl around her age walking by, approached her....and away we go! It was kinda cool. Explaining to Maddie that trading was NOT mandatory wasn't easy but she was having fun...and that's all that mattered to me.

We checked in at R&C and waited. Someone had drawn a Mickey head hopscotch course so Maddie had a little fun while we waited:

ebc70627.jpg

And for those of you who might like a video...hope you can see this:

th_04ab6b2f.jpg

We had never eaten at R&C before. It was not bad! We had 2 appetizers - mussels (which we had never eaten before and never will again) and I think it was called a scotch egg. GOOOOOD!!!! Our entrees were pretty good. We had a couple of beers with dinner. Our waitress was great, but she was slow. I don't know if we'd ever eat there again. Not because it wasn't great, but because there are others we like better and others we haven't tried yet.

We began to walk toward the American Adventure to get ready for the Candlelight Processional and oh my goodness! The line for the dinner package went allllllllllll the way back to Morocco!! So we waited for about 15 minutes and finally the line started moving. And of course, Maddie announces that she needs to go potty!!! Haha. So we jump out of line, haul our cookies to the restrooms (where there is a line, of course) and get back only 4-5 minutes before it begins.

Our seats were pretty good; if you were looking at the stage, we were in the first row in the uncovered section of seats, just left of center stage.

046-1.jpg

I had really been looking forward to this show. It began with the orchestra and then the 'main' singers came out.

049-1.jpg

Then the chorus started the processional, with their candlelights. My head started leaking at this point.

054.jpg

They sang some carols and then they announced Trace Adkins. I like country music, in moderation. And the country that I like tends to be less of the traditional country and more like what most folks would refer to as 'mainstream' - Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride - you get the point. The only Trace Adkins song I had ever heard was that badonkadonk song.

060-1.jpg

He comes out with his 10 gallon hat on and promptly takes it off. And he began to speak. And that was all it took.

Leakage from the head.

Water works.

At one point, Hubs, me and the folks sitting next to us were crying so hard, our entire bench was shaking. The way this story is told, especially all of the hardships and cruelty that Jesus was subjected to....it just GETS you. It all comes together.

065-1.jpg

067.jpg

If you love Christmas and the true reason for the season, I strongly encourage you to put this event on your must-do or bucket list. You will be moved, you will be humbled and you will be so filled with the spirit of the season that you'll never want to let it go.

The music was tremendous and glorious. The story was incredible and moving. Trace Adkins was beyond awesome. This was the pinnacle of our trip. This was a moment I will never forget, and will always treasure.