MLK Weekend: Some Mid-Winter Fortitude!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who was that? I know it's not Lou, he doesn't read these things! I'm hoping around Halloween, unfortunately, it falls on a wednesday this year. That would be cool, a small bluegrass group playing on t

Stop bullying the new kid.

Don't worry, MD. TCD used to bully me on my Dole Whip skills, but then I pointed out that the only good Dole Whip's he has pics of were dispensed by his daughters. He's nothing but a Dole Whip blowhard.

OK- sorry for the bullying. I was only trying to help. Really.

DW cred is important around here.

And Dave is right, the the TCD girls can whip a mean dole.

Me, not so much.

And while I am commenting, I have to say that this line is the funniest thing I have read in a long time:

"They were like a Big Wheel, but a Green Machine was like a Big Wheel driven by a ninja Fonzie with sunglasses on."

That is some funny stuff!

Ninja Fonzie?

With sunglasses on?

I hate to say it, but I got the visual.

TCD

"They were like a Big Wheel, but a Green Machine was like a Big Wheel driven by a ninja Fonzie with sunglasses on."

Ninja Fonzie?

With sunglasses on?

I only have a visual because I caught it as reruns.

Great update.. keep up the good work.

OK- sorry for the bullying. I was only trying to help. Really.

DW cred is important around here.

And Dave is right, the the TCD girls can whip a mean dole.

Me, not so much.

And while I am commenting, I have to say that this line is the funniest thing I have read in a long time:

Ninja Fonzie?

With sunglasses on?

TCD

I only have a visual because I caught it as reruns.

Great update.. keep up the good work.

I was looking for a quantifiable measure of cool, and I'm a child of the 70's.

Day Three continued:

Music: Paul McCarrtney, Steve Miller, Wilco

Drink: Back to the Magic Hat #9, Water

Smell: Horses and Smoke

Last we heard, the troupe was preparing to get moving into the afternoon and evening portion of Sunday.

We generally get two carts, one for Ben and one for me. Mine is the sight-seeing, looping, and goofing off cart, whereas his is locked and loaded for fishing. It was starting to cool off again….cool off...It was freaking freezing again! Ben, his son, and his moustache decided one last round of fishing for the trip would set him just right, the two of them chortled and snickered about “the big one” that still mocked them from the Fort canals. Ever see Grumpy Old Men?

My son decided he wanted to tag along on the fishing expedition, as for the girls and myself, ummm, no. So, off they go! The girls wanted to read in the hammock, and I was restless. “I’m going on an adventure!”, that was all the youngest needed, so we were off…for hours! Father-Daughter time indeed!

We went and explored all over the Outpost, parking area, tent camping area, all the loops, all the while forgetting to take any pictures. When I finally remembered to take some pictures, I had to capture two in particular for my collection.

I seemed to have groomed some morbid fascination with things dated, decayed, and/or dead. So of course, I always have to peer over the fence at River Country. I have a great interest in the FWRR, although it was decommissioned decades before I ever made it to the Fort. I love how they alluded to it on the water tower at the Meadow pool slide. So of course, I had two go over by the 1500 loop and snap this…

201211513.jpg

Next up was a trip out to the Settlement. We parked in the cart lot, refilled our mugs at the Trail’s End and started over towards the farm and stables. She was thrilled when we were stopped in our tracks by the cast of HDDR getting ready to make their entrance.

So, time to snap that other photo. Like a car wreck, I always have to stop and gawk at the details of this. I would love a real print of this for my office…

201211519.jpg

Onward and upward to the animals. My little Annie loves her some animals, but even more, being the youngest of three, she cherishes when we get to be alone together. The greatest conversations, unique questions, and sometimes absurd observations…ya’ know…5! “Daddy, I never knew pony pee was so loud!” It was too!

201211510.jpg

We met and chatted with each and every pony on the lot, explored the blacksmith shop, and headed over to the stables. Those fellers are some menacing creatures, especially in proportion to the ponies that we were just hanging with. Two of them were getting ready to go to work, so she wanted to get close to them for a photo, but mindful of the rope…she’s safety conscious (from her mother I’m guessing!)

201211511.jpg

Next, we ambled over to the Pavilion and explored. There was some cool stuff on the stage, odd knick knacks, one or two Christmas items that hadn’t gotten quite packed away yet. Checked out the food service area…no leftovers dammit! Had to look at the mixing board/sound booth area…I’m a DJ, whatdya want? Then on our way out, about two picnic tables away from the grass, we found the strangest item to be found at the Fort. A red bowling ball!

So, being the jerk that I am…I picked it up and rolled it…under the rest of the tables across the dance floor area. It curved around, slowly but surely, under some tables on the other side, back out, back across the dance floor again, back under the tables immediately in front of me, and came to a stop about 2 feet away from me, without ever hitting a single thing. I scooped up Annie, put her on my shoulders and ran the eff out of there.

After the close call with the haunted bowling ball, we checked on the boys fishing expedition. They were having some luck.

Then, the Pied Piper shows up! A truck driving CM came around to feed the stocked and bountiful fish of the Fort canals. Wouldn’t you know, he knew just where to feed them, he made the water ripple with sheer food anxiety from some big guys that don’t show themselves often. It was damn near biblical. Strike while the iron is hot…

201211522.jpg

201211521.jpg

201211520.jpg

The called this fish “Old Lumpy” as he was so fat he was actually bulbous (or tumoured!)

You can see the feed truck there. Apparently, bass are lazy and don’t like to chase, so you have to bonk the brim on the head a bit because the bass like their dinner a little stunned.

201211526.jpg

It was getting dark so we headed back to the camper. Of course, power of suggestion… we made a comfort station en masse. Now remember, we were near the Campfire Sing-A-Long, so we hopped in for a few minutes.

Here’s Cowboy Anthony and Chip n’ Dale, better than last night’s photo, but not by much… If you’re happy and you know it…give me twenty bucks!

201211516.jpg

I tried my hand at another character photo. I suck at this…

201211517.jpg

Back to the camper for some more fire. But first, some lubricant…

2012-01-30_22-17-40_995.jpg

What else? Leiney’s Fireside Nut Brown Ale, brewed specifically for that moment. By the way, those beer photos are taken against my cutting board for that professional composition and lighting deal.

Meanwhile, Burny was blazing!

201211514.jpg

The air was a little warmer than previous nights, but not by much, so the smoke went up, and at about 20-25, just hung there like a super low cloud. First time I ever affected the weather.

201211515.jpg

So we took these photos…

201211531.jpg

201211530.jpg

And finally, this one…

201211518.jpg

See? That’s a bunch of dopes trying to take a picture of smoke in the sky at night.

From there, my daughters had finished a complete day, and turned in, William too went off to bed, Ben fell asleep slumped over by Burny. I had a distinct chill that seemed to climb my spine and move upward, the temperature was dropping quickly…ready to turn in. But….the prince…my son has been begging to see the EWP. This is the last chance, and I’m thrilled that he still gets a charge out of it. So MetalWife and I wrapped up in blankets and headed up to the marina with just the boy.

I was so cold that I couldn’t even drive the cart properly, we got there strictly on muscle memory and luck. Parked the cart, and wobbled out on to the dock on knees that were trying desperately not to bend. The barges pull up, the music starts, and the first scene lights up. I look over at my wife and son, and the look on his face put it all into perspective.

This is why we work so hard, this is why we struggle and save and scheme to sneak away for a couple of days and nights. When he puts his hand on his chest during the American portion of the show…you just know, camping, this element of our lifestyle, is creating memories and instilling behavior that will serve my kids well, and they will share with their kids.

One more update to come. Tomorrow, we head out… a few more photos, and we’ll plan for the next one!

Wow! What a great update.

Informative, funny and touching. It has it all 8)

Sad to see coming to and end. boo

Thanks. We'll have to go again then!

Awesome update!

BTW, thanks for posting the Kona photo. I'm starting to make a chart for the next trip. I'm figuring two updates per day camped times number of days out there, should net a decent collection!

Great update, John.

I loved the little bit at the end about just you and the Mrs. taking your son down to see the EWP.

That is what it is all about!

TCD

Thanks TCD, that was as cool a moment as it gets. He's a pain in the ass, but a good, loving boy. He makes me proud. I know it's working when we get school projects, stories, and pictures revolving around camping. My friends all think we're nuts... I'm probably inclined to agree..but, What the Fort?

Funny stuff John! Sad to see this is almost over, but it's been a heck of a ride.

They're will be more! Your TR is great. I'm honored to have been mentioned in it, and to have been read whilst on it!

Awesome update!!!!

Thanks Carol...time for one last go round!

Day Four:

Music: Black Sabbath

Drink: Diet Coke

Smell: Bacon and Maple Syrup

Monday morning blues. Yes and no… There was a time when I used to get really sad leaving Disney property. I think it was because there was all this fun and happiness, and I was heading back to my life, which offered a lot less sizzle than a day at a theme park. But that all changed with fatherhood. Suddenly, my happiness was still in the truck with me! Now, we leave, with the excitement of planning our next adventure!

So, we wake up, tumble out of the camper, one every few minutes. The kids playing in the dirt with their jammies, the psssst of Diet Coke cans (never got the coffee habit!), the bleeeeeep of a golf cart going backwards, and the whirr of the cart in gear heading out for the Trail’s End coffee urn.

Since about our third camping trip, we’ve decided as a group to rise, shine, pack, and eat on the road. The cooking and cleanup process seems to have held things up a bit, and gives the kids ample time to unpack my packing…I lose it with un… Today It would be Cracker Barrel!

The load-out is really the part where camping in a popup really effing sucks. I prefer the “roll it up in a ball and throw it in the truck” method, Whereas Capt. Mustache, the engineer is the old “a place for everything and everything in its place” packer.

Then, it was time to do “the dance” again. The process of jockeying the cars and golfcarts from the site, overflow, and the marina lot. Once again the cool music on the Settlement speakers caught my ear and stopped me short to admire. It was Bela Fleck playing Katmandu from his Acoustic Planet series. Here’s a version of it for your dining and dancing pleasure… give it a minute or so and you may recognize it…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgTuPUPuZM

Back to the camper, where the whole crew is buzzing around the site chucking, tucking, and folding up our home for the past few days. Once again, Ben backed up to Maria to drag her on home, and who was I to argue? After all, that gas mileage fairy had shone upon us on the way up, why not close the deal?

A final trip to the comfort station, final check of the site, and check of the camper lights and we were rolling. Out of Big Bear, right, past the 1500, tennis courts, pool… By the way, don’t you almost hate seeing new campers arriving while you’re leaving? Bastards… To the four way stop and left. Then… it was almost like the Fort didn’t want us to leave.

201211601.jpg

I’d never seen the exit backed up this far, all the way to the hitch/unhitch swerves. Apparently, we’re not the only weekend warriors! I couldn’t believe it, so I took another photo.

201211602.jpg

Then, I snapped a photo of the spot that really does make me sad. For me, this is the threshold.

201211603.jpg

Once I pass that spot, I’m focused on home. Prior to that, I’m still at the Fort, and the normal rules don’t apply. Once past that gate, I’m a dude with a career and a mortgage.

And a reason…

201211606.jpg

And finally dear fiends, we finish with the shots we tried to get on the way in.

201211604.jpg

201211605.jpg

Homeward bound…See ya real soon! Why?

Day Four:

Music: Black Sabbath

Drink: Diet Coke

Smell: Bacon and Maple Syrup

Monday morning blues. Yes and no… There was a time when I used to get really sad leaving Disney property. I think it was because there was all this fun and happiness, and I was heading back to my life, which offered a lot less sizzle than a day at a theme park. But that all changed with fatherhood. Suddenly, my happiness was still in the truck with me! Now, we leave, with the excitement of planning our next adventure!

So, we wake up, tumble out of the camper, one every few minutes. The kids playing in the dirt with their jammies, the psssst of Diet Coke cans (never got the coffee habit!), the bleeeeeep of a golf cart going backwards, and the whirr of the cart in gear heading out for the Trail’s End coffee urn.

Since about our third camping trip, we’ve decided as a group to rise, shine, pack, and eat on the road. The cooking and cleanup process seems to have held things up a bit, and gives the kids ample time to unpack my packing…I lose it with un… Today It would be Cracker Barrel!

The load-out is really the part where camping in a popup really effing sucks. I prefer the “roll it up in a ball and throw it in the truck” method, Whereas Capt. Mustache, the engineer is the old “a place for everything and everything in its place” packer.

Then, it was time to do “the dance” again. The process of jockeying the cars and golfcarts from the site, overflow, and the marina lot. Once again the cool music on the Settlement speakers caught my ear and stopped me short to admire. It was Bela Fleck playing Katmandu from his Acoustic Planet series. Here’s a version of it for your dining and dancing pleasure… give it a minute or so and you may recognize it…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgTuPUPuZM

Back to the camper, where the whole crew is buzzing around the site chucking, tucking, and folding up our home for the past few days. Once again, Ben backed up to Maria to drag her on home, and who was I to argue? After all, that gas mileage fairy had shone upon us on the way up, why not close the deal?

A final trip to the comfort station, final check of the site, and check of the camper lights and we were rolling. Out of Big Bear, right, past the 1500, tennis courts, pool… By the way, don’t you almost hate seeing new campers arriving while you’re leaving? Bastards… To the four way stop and left. Then… it was almost like the Fort didn’t want us to leave.

201211601.jpg

I’d never seen the exit backed up this far, all the way to the hitch/unhitch swerves. Apparently, we’re not the only weekend warriors! I couldn’t believe it, so I took another photo.

201211602.jpg

Then, I snapped a photo of the spot that really does make me sad. For me, this is the threshold.

201211603.jpg

Once I pass that spot, I’m focused on home. Prior to that, I’m still at the Fort, and the normal rules don’t apply. Once past that gate, I’m a dude with a career and a mortgage.

And a reason…

201211606.jpg

And finally dear fiends, we finish with the shots we tried to get on the way in.

201211604.jpg

201211605.jpg

Homeward bound…See ya real soon! Why?

Because we like you (somebody had to say it), but it wasn't me, it was the Mustache. MD and the Trip Readers (sounds like a new rock group), have given the mustache a life of its own; it wants its own account and login. I look forward to the next trip and the monster bass that keeps eluding us. Glad to have been a part of this MLK weekend. --BM

But that all changed with fatherhood. Suddenly, my happiness was still in the truck with me!

Awww, our funny guy has gotten all sappy on us! J/K, that's so sweet! :heart:

My hubby is like Ben, everything has a place in the camper. I call him "Betty Pack-a-lot" :) I prefer to toss things in anywhere, just enough to get us home.

I feel your pain when you're puling out and others are pulling in. I find myself silently cussing people who ride by on their bikes enjoying a Fort morning while I'm packing to go home. My mother would call that sour grapes.

This was a great report. Hope to see another one soon.

You guys should check out Halloween, there will be a lot of fiends there, and I would love to meet you, your family and Ben's mustache (and Ben ;) )

Well, MetalDad, you wrote an outstanding trip report!

Thanks for that music video. I love that music! But, I couldn't imagine sitting through a concert like that. I prefer to imagine that the musicians are sitting on a porch someplace picking their banjos.

I am sure that will be meeting up some time soon, and I look forward to it!

TCD

Great trip report, John. I finished reading it in TN. I am still not over that sad feeling of leaving the Fort but I did make my ressies for my Halloween trip while I was there. Doesn't a trip to Stone Mountain sound fun? More Fiends than you could shake a stick at. If not you should really try for Halloween, we have a lot of fun then too.

Because we like you (somebody had to say it), but it wasn't me, it was the Mustache. MD and the Trip Readers (sounds like a new rock group), have given the mustache a life of its own; it wants its own account and login. I look forward to the next trip and the monster bass that keeps eluding us. Glad to have been a part of this MLK weekend. --BM

Ummm.. not sure how to break this but we have to change the way you sign your posts... BM just sounds wrong. :toiletreading: So I was thinking and I came with the following alternatives:

Mr. Stache

The Stache

Mr. The Stache

Oh and welcome to the boards and enjoyed the TR that included you.

Yes, I was here not reading your TR.

And I did catch that waste of web space photo of the Rays sign.

Next time give me more than five minutes notice that you're at the Fort. I do have a life, well, not really.

Who was that? I know it's not Lou, he doesn't read these things!

Awww, our funny guy has gotten all sappy on us! J/K, that's so sweet! :heart:

My hubby is like Ben, everything has a place in the camper. I call him "Betty Pack-a-lot" :) I prefer to toss things in anywhere, just enough to get us home.

I feel your pain when you're puling out and others are pulling in. I find myself silently cussing people who ride by on their bikes enjoying a Fort morning while I'm packing to go home. My mother would call that sour grapes.

This was a great report. Hope to see another one soon.

You guys should check out Halloween, there will be a lot of fiends there, and I would love to meet you, your family and Ben's mustache (and Ben ;) )

I'm hoping around Halloween, unfortunately, it falls on a wednesday this year.

Well, MetalDad, you wrote an outstanding trip report!

Thanks for that music video. I love that music! But, I couldn't imagine sitting through a concert like that. I prefer to imagine that the musicians are sitting on a porch someplace picking their banjos.

I am sure that will be meeting up some time soon, and I look forward to it!

TCD

That would be cool, a small bluegrass group playing on the TE porch. I should be doing a fire in the pit this weekend, just look for the smoke!

Great trip report, John. I finished reading it in TN. I am still not over that sad feeling of leaving the Fort but I did make my ressies for my Halloween trip while I was there. Doesn't a trip to Stone Mountain sound fun? More Fiends than you could shake a stick at. If not you should really try for Halloween, we have a lot of fun then too.

Thanks! Sorry I missed you. One of these days. Not gonna make SM, I know that for sure. I'm sure it'll be amazing and looking forward to the report!

Ummm.. not sure how to break this but we have to change the way you sign your posts... BM just sounds wrong. :toiletreading: So I was thinking and I came with the following alternatives:

Mr. Stache

The Stache

Mr. The Stache

I spoke to him at lunch and imparted that thought, he said "Eveyone enjoys a good BM, so should my posts!"

Mr. Stache

The Stache

Mr. The Stache

I spoke to him at lunch and imparted that thought, he said "Eveyone enjoys a good BM, so should my posts!"

:rofl3: :postcount: