First trip to the fort since losing my wife, any tips?

The kids and I are going to the fort for the first time since my wife passed. She was the reason we started going back in 1998 and have been every year since. I know it is going to be hard at times but we had such good memories that I think we will have fun for the most part. Any sugestions for me? I will do as she always said when stuff happened "Suck it up and get over it". That has been my motto for awhile now. So here's to our trip and will see everyone in June. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If we have anything to say about it, it will be. The FHF gears are turning.

Today is a very special day for FF.Net and Fiends Helping Fiends. It's an example of what makes FF.Net very special. I'll be stopping by Warren's, BayLakeCampers, site later this afternoon to present

If it were me, this is what I'd want. I'm sure parts of it will be hard, but hopefully the happy memories will bring you some peace.

Wow. I didn't know you lost your wife. I am sorry.

All I know about dealing with grief is that it is complicated, and what works for one person does not always work for another.

I am not qualified to give you advice on this subject, but I do hope that you and your family have a great trip, and that it ends up being a positive thing for all of you.

TCD

I noticed that you are around my age. I can't imagine how hard this has to be for you. I pray that you and the kids have a wonderful trip, remembering your wife and enjoying each other. I'm praying for you. If there is ANYTHING you need to make this trip special, please let us know. I can tell you that the Fiends are very good at helping folks make the most of their trips.

BLC I remember you from the other place and always liked ur name. So sorry to hear about the Mrs.

Not going and letting the kids grow up at the fort would be ashame and you're very strong. I hopw her spirit will let you enjoy the past and future. Bless your family.

So sorry for your loss. But have a great trip make lots of new memories and remember the old.

When are you coming? If there is anything we can do to help please let me know, I only live about 1hr away and would be glad to help in any way I can.

I'm not an expert here either....wish I had something inspiring to say.

I am so sorry for your loss and hope that you and your children have a great trip.

Do whatever you are comfortable with and pace yourself. It sounds like you have so many amazing memories and it's such a blessing that you have the chance to make many more. She's looking down on all of you and she wants you to be happy.

I, too, like the idea of a new ritual. :)

Safe travels. You'll be in our prayers.

I just want to thank everyone for the well wishes and condolences.

We will be at the Fort June 15 - 30 hopefully in the 200 loop.

The one thing I have learned out of all of this is that, make sure the ones that you love know that you love them, I know that she knows.

And the kids are 18 and 17, not really kids anymore. The oldest my son is a fresman at Clemson University and my daughter is a junior in high school. They grow up fast. At least they are both still at home.

Thanks again.

Warren

I know you guys will appreciate this more than anyone. Her monument was sent in place this weekend, i just wanted to share. She had just graduated from Clemson with a BS Microbiology and was accepted to Ross University to start Med school in May.

Esxrj.jpg

Warren-

What a tragedy. So young.

After thinking about this some, I realize that maybe I do have $.02 worth of advice for you after all.

When I was in High School, one of my good friends lost his mom to breast cancer. It was a long illness, and it was hard on his family. His dad, who we all thought was a great guy, went off the deep end. He basically withdrew from the family, and spent his time at work or at bars. My friend was on his own. Next thing you know, the dad had a girlfriend, and ended up getting remarried less than a year after the mom's death. The new wife moved in with the dad and my friend. That ended up being really bad.

Looking back at all of this now with the perspective of an adult, I understand what the dad was going through.

But, what the dad forgot is that he was not the only one grieving.

I am not about to tell you what to do, but the one thing I would urge you to remember is that all of you are hurting, and you should all try to be there for each other.

To me, a trip to WDW sounds like a great way for you all to spend time with each other and help each other work through the loss of your wife and their mom.

I hope that your trip is full of happiness and pixie dust.

TCD

Have a great trip. The only advice I've been given: "When tough situations arise......talk. Doesn't matter who....just talk about it. Don't pretend it doesn't exist...just talk about it." Not sure if it applies here, but it seems like a good idea.

My condolences.

Warren, that is a beautiful monument. I notice that you and Tricia were born just 9 days apart. I can't imagine how difficult last month was, with both Christmas and Tricia's birthday just days apart. I feel very honored that you are sharing your grief and your trip plans with us. Again, if there is anything that we can all do to help you with your trip please let us know. This is one heck of a supportive group, that I know from experience. God bless you and your family.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure that it was very difficult for you to decide to go back. Death is a difficult thing to deal with for those that have been left behind. Take comfort in knowing that since she will be with you in your heart, you are not going without her.