It's Called Leap Day-Not Sleep Day-OMDD with the TCD Gang!

In between all of the activity around the Contemporary Resort that evening, we didn't get much sleeping done.

I think I may have drifted off for about an hour or so, but that was it.

We finally decided that we would head back to the MK in time for the midnight showing of the Main Street Electrical Parade.

So, here are the girls getting ready to leave the room. That hand signal is supposed to be a mouse head. I don't know where they learned that from. Also, behind them in this photo, you can see the closets for our room. These were pretty cool, and there was a refrigerator there in a cabinet. That came in handy for our leftover GAG:

IMG_3742.jpg

Here we are back on the walkway to the MK. The camera says this photo was taken at around 11:30 pm. We had last been by here 18 hours ago. And now we were going back for another 6 or so hours:

IMG_9891.jpg

There were a lot more people heading in to the MK than we expected.

This surprised me.

I thought that folks would not bother showing up this late.

But I was wrong.

Who were all these people just showing up now?

I'll tell you who a lot of them were.

Castmembers.

College program kids in particular.

When we bought our ice cream earlier that night, the fellow who manned the cash register at the Contemporary told us he was heading over after work. And that a lot of the young folks who worked there would be coming with him. There was an older fellow at the other register, and we asked him if he was going to head over too. He said no, because he had TMB. What's TMB I asked him? It turns out that he wanted me to ask. He said it meant Too Many Birthdays. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Anyway, there were a lot of 20-something people showing up at the MK now right before midnight.

A lot of them had pajamas on.

We didn't get that memo.

It turned out to be fine, though. It was fun seeing how excited people were to be there.

Here are the girls in front of the One More Disney Day banner again. They are rocking their free Leap Ears too. They still were passing out buttons when we arrived for round 2, but the ears were long gone:

IMG_9892.jpg

Even though there were a lot of folks coming in to the park, there were still plenty of spaces around to sit and watch the parade. We choose a spot right in front of the train station, facing toward the entrance. That gave us a chance to watch everyone coming in.

Here are the girls waiting for the MSEP to start:

IMG_9899.jpg

It has been a long time since we just sat and watched a parade at WDW. Parades are not our thing. But we were going to watch the whole thing tonight.

The parade begins with Tinkerbell:

IMG_9905.jpg

I think that's weird, because this train with the sign comes second for some reason. I think it should lead the parade:

IMG_9907.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

There is some weird stuff in this parade.

Like giant mushrooms.

This one has Alice on it. She was talking to people in the audience. In character. That is an odd movie, and this was an odd girl:

IMG_3754.jpg

And then there's this caterpillar smoking a bong:

IMG_3755.jpg

What the heck is that all about?

One of these days, I would love to know how these floats are operated. I figure that there must be people inside these little things, and I hoped that with a camera flash you could see them, but so far I haven't:

IMG_9914.jpg

The float with Cinderella's step-sisters on it was pretty funny:

IMG_3762.jpg

I thought this pirate ship, which was for Peter Pan and his crew, was pretty good:

IMG_9939.jpg

I am a big Mr. Smee fan, so I appreciate that he gets his own float:

IMG_9943.jpg

Here is Dopey and the rest of his gang:

IMG_9944.jpg

IMG_9948.jpg

I guess if we had been on our toes, we could have gotten a photo with them all together.

Oh well.

Pinnochio had two floats. First this one:

IMG_9950.jpg

And then this one. At least I think this one is from Pinocchio:

IMG_9951.jpg

These floats were accompanied by a bunch of young men with donkey ears and tails who ran around and tried to engage the parade audience. I thought it was annoying. And look, there was a cupcake on their float:

IMG_3767.jpg

Just to make sure that we all get weirded out by this parade, they included the obscure Pete and his dragon Elliot:

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

Pete also speaks to the audience. And he has a voice which is higher than a young girl's. I don't know why, but this whole part of the parade gives me the creeps.

The parade wraps up with the best float.

America! :

IMG_9958.jpg

So that is the MSEP.

I am glad we watched it.

Now, it was time to knock off the rest of the items on our list.

But first, the girls wanted to meet the Princesses.

We haven't been in the new Princess meeting area there on Main Street since they put it in a year or so ago.

So, we decided to give that a try since we were right here.

We will pick it up from there in the next post.

TCD

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You were right until 1996. The MK originally had two riverboats: The Admiral Joe Fowler and the Richard F Irvine. The AJF was accidentally destroyed during a refurbishment, and the RFI was renamed

We fiends need a checklist- 1. ride the barrels 2. find a spike 3. get a sunset pic over .. well anything. 4. kick someone off TNBob's dock 5. gaze upon the wonder of Cindy's Castle from the beach 6.

Good idea. I am glad that I asked the lady. I thought beard might have been slang for something that I didn't want to know about. Why stop at 10? 11. Eat a GAG. 12. Give Lou a hug. 13. Shimmy up a

More great updates! It's cool that you could see all of the different fireworks from your room. Being a few stories off the ground has its advantages. I still would never trade my camper for a hotel room tho.

Do you think that Tink starts MSEP because she always started off the Disney shows and movies back when they originally did the parade?

I know I've voiced this before, but I DO NOT like that parade. In fact, I'm going on the record today as saying that I absolutely HATE the MSEP.

There, I said it. I feel better.

I know you've never heard any negative opinions on anything Disney related from me before. I hope this wasn't too shocking for you to read.

Carry on.

Looks like you went back in just before TJ and I made it in for the first time. Cause the parade was over by the time we got in. Good parade shots!!!

Thanks. I thought that y'all had gone in ahead of us. Way to pace yourselves!

More great updates! It's cool that you could see all of the different fireworks from your room. Being a few stories off the ground has its advantages. I still would never trade my camper for a hotel room tho.

Do you think that Tink starts MSEP because she always started off the Disney shows and movies back when they originally did the parade?

I am not trading in my camper either. But I'm not going to lie, if money was no object, I could get used to the Contemporary Resort.

You might be right about Tinkerbell. I didn't think of that- kind of like how she leads off Wishes too.

I know I've voiced this before, but I DO NOT like that parade. In fact, I'm going on the record today as saying that I absolutely HATE the MSEP.

There, I said it. I feel better.

I know you've never heard any negative opinions on anything Disney related from me before. I hope this wasn't too shocking for you to read.

Carry on.

I am shocked. Dave!!! :rofl2:

I'm shocked too.

I can understand not loving it. Even not liking it.

But hating it?

What did that parade ever do to you, Dave?

TCD

I like the parade and the annoying song, I actually have it on my iPod.

Is this going to be the first TCD Trip Report that you don't have a picture from across Bay Lake looking from you favorite spot? It has become a staple picture in all your reports.

Best Regards,

Norm

You can rest assured that I will never step foot in that tea room.

That's a shame... I'd pay good money to see TCD wearing a big purple hat in next year's version of this...

6352555950_14e3800f0c_z.jpg

The MSEP is my favorite parade. I was glad when it was brought back. Don't like Spectro Magic as much.

I always knew that there was something not right with Dave.

Gotta side with Dave on this one. I prefer Spectro over MSEP too - mostly because of the music.

Great pics all around, TCD but I especially loved the one of the entire EWP (sorry Lou!)

You definitely can't beat the view you had from your room!

I like the parade and the annoying song, I actually have it on my iPod.

Is this going to be the first TCD Trip Report that you don't have a picture from across Bay Lake looking from you favorite spot? It has become a staple picture in all your reports.

Best Regards,

Norm

Norm-

Good catch.

Yes, there will be no photo from Marshmallow Marsh. Although I was up to see two sunrises, I was too busy on this trip to make it over to the Fort for my traditional sunrise pics. Don't worry, though, I'll include some extras in my next trip report.

The MSEP is my favorite parade. I was glad when it was brought back. Don't like Spectro Magic as much.

I always knew that there was something not right with Dave.

Hmmm.

This is odd.

You don't like the EWP.

But you do like the MSEP.

Don't they both use the same Lite Brite technology?

And have similar out of date music?

That's a shame... I'd pay good money to see TCD wearing a big purple hat in next year's version of this...

6352555950_14e3800f0c_z.jpg

Gotta side with Dave on this one. I prefer Spectro over MSEP too - mostly because of the music.

Great pics all around, TCD but I especially loved the one of the entire EWP (sorry Lou!)

You definitely can't beat the view you had from your room!

I promise you there is no amount of money that would cause me to show up in that tea room.

I can't make the same promise regarding no amount of alcohol though.

I Love this float! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the America float is the best, by far!

USA!

USA!

I can't wait to see Spectro when we return later this year!!!! :jumpforjoy

But truth be told, I'd be quite content to be standing along Main Street eating some ice cream or a cinnamon roll and watching MSEP. Just being there at all is awesome. I could wear ear plugs to drown out that techno music.

There you go.

That's the spirit!

That. Is. Awesome. :)

Pro-MSEP here.

Hmmm.

Seems like most folks are pro-MSEP.

Even Lou.

Truth be told, I couldn't tell you the difference between the MSEP and Spectromagic. Except I know Spectromagic has those little trolls or whatever they are. They are creepy.

TCD

Sorry I'm late to the party! It's been a beautiful day so I spent some time outside by the pool with Mason.

The girls look adorable in their Mickey ears.

I would have to say I like both parades because that means I'm at MK, but I usually will avoid any parade while I'm there. ;)

I owe y'all an update.

So here it comes.

As I mentioned, when the Main Street Electrical Parade was over, we popped in to the Main Street theater to meet us some princesses.

We have not been in here since it was repurposed as a place to meet mice and princesses.

It is pretty nice in there.

I didn't mention this earlier, but we picked up Fastpasses to meet the princesses and the mice earlier in the day. We were way past our return time, but I asked if we could use them anyway. In the past, castmembers have allowed guests to use Fastpasses past the return time. There was an announcement that this was going to change later in March, but that date had not yet arrived. Here is where it was confirmed for us that all of the Fastpass lines in the park would be closed for the rest of the evening. I wasn't sure that would be the case, but it was.

So we had to wait on line.

For five minutes.

And then we blazed through the princess room:

Aurora-

IMG_9960.jpg

Belle-

IMG_9962.jpg

Cinderella-

IMG_9963.jpg

And that was that.

The mouse line was another story.

The sign said it was a 45 minute wait.

And it looked longer.

So, we didn't get any photos of Mickey in his pajamas.

We didn't have time for that.

We had to ride every ride before the night ended.

So, off we went to Tommorowland.

There were a few things left for us to do there.

First it was the Laugh Floor.

It was packed.

What a lively crowd!

I didn't get to be That Guy.

They picked some old clueless guy instead.

And they really picked on a couple of old fellows from Kentucky. I have no idea what those geezers were doing in the MK after midnight, but I about busted a gut laughing at them talking to the Monsters. It was so funny that we actually got into a debate about whether they were plants. But, I don't think they were. When Ella sang the new Kentucky national anthem for them, they about shook their heads off telling her that she had it wrong. That was the funniest thing I have ever seen in there.

From Laugh Floor we popped over to Stitch.

No one in the TCD gang loves that ride.

It is Twin #1's least favorite ride in all of WDW.

You can see how happy the girls are to be experiencing Stitch and his chili dog breath in these photos:

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_9966.jpg

The next thing we needed to knock off the list was the Astro Orbiter.

We had skipped it this morning.

The sign said it was a 30 minute wait. But, the line looked longer. The whole maze area was full. We didn't want to wait for that, so we said we would come back at the end- maybe ride this and finish at Space Mountain. Sounded like a plan, so we passed on by:

IMG_9971.jpg

Next up was the Grand Prix raceway and then on to Fantasyland.

They had both sides of the line open, and all the lanes open. That made the line go fast:

IMG_3774.jpg

When we were on line, we could see that all the Pooh characters were out at one time and taking group shots with the guests. They were over by the Teacups:

IMG_9973.jpg

By the time we got done with our race, they had left the area. So we missed that photo op.

Now it was time to go finish our business in Fantasyland. We had done most of it this morning, but we left Philharmagic and the Carousel, knowing that we could probably hop on those with little wait no matter how busy it got. That ended up being a good move.

Philharmagic was busy, but we got in with no wait:

IMG_3776.jpg

They weren't making guests get off the carousel after each ride, so we were not able to get three horses next to each other. Twin #1 was fastest, so she got a big horse:

IMG_3777.jpg

Twin #2 got a little horse:

IMG_3778.jpg

And I got the old grandpa chair:

IMG_3779.jpg

One ride was enough for us.

From here, we popped over the the Rapunzel meet and greet area. The girls heard Flynn Rider was there too, and they thought about meeting them both. When we got there, though, we found a long line. The castmember at the end said that the line was closed, as it would take two hours to get everyone in line through the meet and greet. That meant the people standing there at the end were going to wait two hours to meet Rapunzel and Flynn. Interesting. Good thing the line was closed, or that could have been me.

From here, we crossed over the hub to head to Frontierland. We had some things to do there.

As we headed through the hub, we stopped for a bit to listen to the DJ:

IMG_3782.jpg

The girls loved the music.

I didn't recognize it.

That meant it was current popular music.

Goofy and other characters were out to dance with the guests:

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

And there were guys walking around on stilts for no apparent reason:

IMG_3788.jpg

The girls decided that they wanted to come back here to do some dancing.

But first we had to do everything.

And everything meant the Hall of Presidents too.

Usually, we confine those visits to every four years.

Sometimes less.

But we went tonight:

IMG_3789.jpg

And I didn't even fall asleep.

What now?

We hadn't been on Splash.

So Splash it was:

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

You can see the TCD twins wore their trademark ponchos on Splash. None of us are wet underwear fans. But I was a man about it. They got to laugh at my wet butt. Happy Leap Day!

Then it was on to another attraction we do not visit very often.

The Country Bears.

And it was almost a full house!

And a lively bunch too! Lots of clapping and singing along. It actually was almost not boring:

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

It may seem like we were on the move.

And we were.

In case you lost track, we now had done all there was to do in Fantasyland, Adventureland, and Liberty Square. But we hadn't done the Haunted Mansion yet.

But first, there was a small matter to attend to.

Dole Whips.

At 4 am.

Yes we did.

That was fine, but I prefer the self-serve ones at the Polynesian now.

Then it was on to the Haunted Mansion.

That ended up being a walk-on too.

So, we were now done with everything!

Except the Astro Orbiter.

First, though, we were going to check out the dance party.

That is where we are headed next.

TCD

Sorry I'm late to the party! It's been a beautiful day so I spent some time outside by the pool with Mason.

The girls look adorable in their Mickey ears.

I would have to say I like both parades because that means I'm at MK, but I usually will avoid any parade while I'm there. ;)

Not a problem, Stef.

It is a pretty day today, isn't it.

I hope Mason had fun!

And we don't usually sit for the parades either, so I don't care which one is playing- we are probably not going to see it.

TCD

And I got the old grandpa chair:

IMG_3779.jpg

It's not just the Granpa chair. My daughter Claire(3) loves that seat on any carousel. We all go for horses, and she meanders over to that and sits right down. She thinks she is riding in the carriage like a princess, not a peasant on a horse. So you're not an old fuddy duddy, you're a King, at least to a 3 year old.

Best Regards,

Norm

Oh how I love the sound of Dole Whips at 4am!

...or any time of the day really.

The 4 am Dole Whips were a first for us.

Supposedly you can get them at the Polynesian that late, but I haven't personally checked on that yet.

How about we agree to go together some time during your next trip?

It's not just the Granpa chair. My daughter Claire(3) loves that seat on any carousel. We all go for horses, and she meanders over to that and sits right down. She thinks she is riding in the carriage like a princess, not a peasant on a horse. So you're not an old fuddy duddy, you're a King, at least to a 3 year old.

Best Regards,

Norm

Can I borrow Claire some time?

I'll share the grandpa king chair with her, and she can tell the TCD twins that they shouldn't pick on the old man. That will put those peasants on horses in their place!

TCD