As much as we don't want to admit it, we do have to spend some time camping in others places. Where are some of your favorite non-Disney places to go? If you are on multi-day trips, where do you like to stop over?

I want to try out the RV park at Worlds Of Fun and Oceans Of Fun in Kansas City this summer. If anyone has been there, I'd love to hear about it.

Any others out there worth driving to?

You know this may sound weird, but I really don't have any favorite camping places to go, just for the sake of camping or visiting an attraction. Let me explain. 99.9% of all of my non-Disney camping is rally (gathering) type events.

I go to T@B rallys, teardrop rallys, and Fort Fiends gatherings.

Where they are, are really inconsequential. I'm happy as long as the campground and bath house are clean and the place has basic amenities (water, electric.......sewer cable, wifi, is a bonus).

I go for the fellowship with other campers, the GREAT potlucks, and the relaxation sittin in a lawnchair under my awning provides.

Bonus is if it has a place for Rick to throw a line in the water and some good shade and mountain or woods breezes.

Now, in the first couple of years I owned my camper, I was bound and determined to take her out each and every month for a weekend. That really became impracticle shortly thereafter. But even so, I tried some local campgrounds just for the chance to pull, set up, and sit under the awning and enjoy nature around me. It was RARELY about the campground itself, or the activities around it.

(Does all that make sense?)

Second James Island County Park, it is local for us.

As a kid, I camped the Blue Ridge Drive and Skyline Drive with my grandparents. I would love to get back up to the upper end of the Parkway and into Skyline Drive to camp again. Just need to find time.

We do most of our camping around NASCAR, so depends on the track and where we can stay for that.

We like roller coasters so we try to hit as many as we can, we like Cedar Point, they have a great campground, we also like Knoebels in Pa. We also use our Thousand Trails parks when we can our favorite is in Va. just a little distance fro.m Williamsburg

We go to Knoebels every year, and Gettysburg is our first trip of the season every year on Mother's Day weekend. I do think we need a GG at Knoebels one year, later in the season is a prime time. We are actually looking at going in late August during the week this year when the kids up there are back in school. We could do it at Lake Glory which may be easier too.

Best Regards,

Norm

We've made 2 trips to Branson, MO. I was enjoying it, but the others seems to have gotten bored with it. And there were so many buffets and stage shows left unravaged.

We go to Knoebels every year, and Gettysburg is our first trip of the season every year on Mother's Day weekend. I do think we need a GG at Knoebels one year, later in the season is a prime time. We are actually looking at going in late August during the week this year when the kids up there are back in school. We could do it at Lake Glory which may be easier too.

Best Regards,

Norm

I think this would be a great idea if not at Lake Glory, J&D would be another good choice plus they have a pool, a small one but at least a pool. Also the ice cream store across the street is handy to.

Never been to J&D, but I hear it's nice. We drove throught Lake Glory once, and the sites looked good for a gathering. The park campgrounds are ok, but people have different size trailers, so it is harder probably to get situated as easy. Rates are about all the same, $45 for EWS @ J&D, $43 for EWS @ LG and $40 for EW @ Knoebels. I'm just an idea guy, someone can run with the plans. LOL

Best Regards,

Norm

J&D sites are all very level and one area backs up to a large picnic pavillion which would be very handy, the only thing there is very grass protective no mats on grass.and their group policy for booking might be hard to plan for some. Norm I am like you have great ideas but not a great planner with groups.

J&D sites are all very level and one area backs up to a large picnic pavillion which would be very handy, the only thing there is very grass protective no mats on grass.and their group policy for booking might be hard to plan for some. Norm I am like you have great ideas but not a great planner with groups.

Ok, any suckers err volunteers, want to take on this adventure? If not, we can always go and forget everyone else.

Best Regards,

Norm

We enjoy camping in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Tn. There are 3 or 4 RV parks that are really close to the center of everything. We enjoy taking the kids to Dollywood every year because Shawnee loves to ride the Big Black Train. Not much they can ride there since they are too heavy for us to lift in and out of their wheel chairs but we enjoy the food, the shows and the atmosphere. Of course, even at Disney they can not ride more than 3 or 4 rides since most of them require them getting out of their chairs. We love Tennessee.

I love going to rv camping parks that are close to a river or lake. This way, we can use our jet skis and come back and relax and not have to feel like we have to use them the whole day to justify bringing them somewhere. We have been several times to Cedar Key and Crystal Isle at Crystal River in Florida. Both are excellent and I would definitely recommend them.

By the way, I was planning on going to ThemeWorld today (which is a rv park outside of Orlando) but come to find out we are camping in the front yard until Thursday. I will give a report of them for our Thursday night visit.

We also love Stone Mountain Park in Stone Mtn. GA.

I have a couple of campgrounds in the TN Smokies I love. The Jellystone in Cosby and the KOA in Townsend. Both are beautiful and very relaxing to me. Another favorite is a COE park about an hour east of Nashville that we love. Right on the lake, big gorgeous sites. We've also camped in Williamsburg twice and loved that.

Heck, I think I could go on and on. I might have an easier time coming up with a list of places I DON'T like to camp.

We LOVE Topsail Hill in Santa Rosa Beach, FL (near Destin). It's a state park too, so it's really cheap. In Myrtle Beach, we prefer Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We live near Lake Lanier in GA, and all of the corp run campgrounds around the lake are nice. (just keep your adult beverages in a cup) PS- If any fiends want to camp there, we can take you out on our boat.

Another favorite is River Vista in Dillard, GA. It isn't private at all, but they have a nice, big building they let you use, a huge indoor pool/hot tub, and they're really close to Highlands, NC (cool town) and the Dillard House (all you can eat country food).

Second James Island County Park, it is local for us.

As a kid, I camped the Blue Ridge Drive and Skyline Drive with my grandparents. I would love to get back up to the upper end of the Parkway and into Skyline Drive to camp again. Just need to find time.

There is a campground right off the Blue Ridge in Marion, NC that I love. Mountain Stream RV park. Very pretty, backs up to a stream. However, I have only been there for T@B rallys.

Driving the Blue Ridge on my birthday last May with 10 other T@Bs was one of the highlights of my camping experiences!!

We enjoy camping in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Tn. There are 3 or 4 RV parks that are really close to the center of everything. We enjoy taking the kids to Dollywood every year because Shawnee loves to ride the Big Black Train. Not much they can ride there since they are too heavy for us to lift in and out of their wheel chairs but we enjoy the food, the shows and the atmosphere. Of course, even at Disney they can not ride more than 3 or 4 rides since most of them require them getting out of their chairs. We love Tennessee.

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Tn.,, Dollywood!! Sounds Fun!!

I think this would be a great idea if not at Lake Glory, J&D would be another good choice plus they have a pool, a small one but at least a pool. Also the ice cream store across the street is handy to.

:thumbsup2:

We camp at Gettysburg Battlefield Resort a lot being that we are members, we also camp at one of the sister resorts Sycamore lodge when we are passing through NC. Our most fav campground other then the Fort has to be Ocean Lakes in the HH section at Myrtle Beach. We also really like Shenandoah Crossings Resort in VA!

On the Road we like to stop at Carolina Crossings cause its only $25 after 6pm and they got a nice pool with slide and a hot tub which is nice after a long drive.

We try and do at least 3 Nascar Trips a year: Daytona Speedway on Lake Lloyd, Lot 2 @ Dover Speedway, and Charlotte Speedway in the South Infield. This year we nixed Dover and are going to the Darlington infield in Row 4 of the Geico Geko Rv Park.

All over, we like variety. As you can see in our sig we only have 3 of the lower 48 that we haven't camped in.(hope to fill those in over the next 2 years) We have been in a club since 1973 that has scheduled rallies all around the country. They have also put together caravans that filled in many others, as well as Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

We live in Maryland and frequent the Maryland/PA area the most. My favorite non-Disney campgrounds are:

Castaways , Ocean City MD

Lake In Wood Resort Lancaster PA

Harpers Ferry KOA Harpers Ferry, WV

Heading to Gatlinburg in a week so I hope to be able to add another to my list of favorites soon!

Dawn