Any advice for Hawaii?

We are planning the trip of a lifetime for when my daughter turns 16.  so we have 4 + years to plan and save.  We live in New England - we are probably going to go for three weeks.  We do have some family there and they have provided some insight -but I am interested to find our what other people think about the islands. 

We are planning the trip of a lifetime for when my daughter turns 16.  so we have 4 + years to plan and save.  We live in New England - we are probably going to go for three weeks.  We do have some family there and they have provided some insight -but I am interested to find our what other people think about the islands.

My wife's cousin and her husband retired to Hawaii. What are you looking for, and I can try to tap into their experiences.

Been there about 6 times. Have stayed at all 4 of the "main" Islands. They each have places to spend your cash so other than bringing about $100,000 in Cash...what do you want to know? I can tell you the "Must Do's" on each Island if you want to know. You can view some of my pics, of Maui anyway, on my Facebook Page.

Been there about 6 times. Have stayed at all 4 of the "main" Islands. They each have places to spend your cash so other than bringing about $100,000 in Cash...what do you want to know? I can tell you the "Must Do's" on each Island if you want to know. You can view some of my pics, of Maui anyway, on my Facebook Page.

Nice - Jealous.

Can you list the must do's by Island?  Any stand out hotels that wont cost me a boatload?  We are thinking we are going to Island hop - Is that really practical or just a daydream? 

As for Island hopping - we went for 12 days - stayed on Oahu (Waikiki Beach) and went to the Big Island for a couple of days to see the volcano.  It was great.  We stayed at the Hale Koa which is a military resort for $99/night right on the beach.  There are lots of cheap - very nice places to stay with the military.  Here's a picture of it...

id3710_foto1_hkhaerial.jpg

As for Island hopping - we went for 12 days - stayed on Oahu (Waikiki Beach) and went to the Big Island for a couple of days to see the volcano.  It was great.  We stayed at the Hale Koa which is a military resort for $99/night right on the beach.  There are lots of cheap - very nice places to stay with the military.  Here's a picture of it...

id3710_foto1_hkhaerial.jpg

My husband was in the army / national guard - I wonder if we can do that?

We went to Maui last July for 11 days.  It was awesome!  We rented a condo in Ka'anapali through VRBO and also rented a jeep.  The condo was great because 1) most hotels won't allow 5 in a room, 2) food is expensive there ($6 for a gallon of milk!) but less expensive than taking 5 people to a restaurant.  The condo had a great view, but no sandy beach in front of it (just rocks), but most people drive to the beach they want to go to for the day and take a picnic.  My kids loved the huge waves.

We drove all around the island - saw the sunrise on Haleakala, drove the road to Hana (twice!), saw all the high-end resorts, and snorkeled to our hearts' content.  We also took a dolphin watching cruise that we all loved.  We loved Maui so much we are saving up to go (hopefully) next year.  The cost to get 5 of us to other islands was too high, so we only saw Maui - but it was the best vacation we've had!

Stay away from the big convention hotels.  I stayed on Maui (Ka'anapali Beach) and Oahu (Waikiki Beach) with groups of over 2,000 people each time.  I wouldn't have wanted to pay good $$ to stay at the hotel with our group there. 

My friend wanted to drive the Road to Hana.  We got part way there when I got car sick.  Not fun.  Next time I'll take my motion sickness patches.

Make sure you daughter sees and understands Pearl Harbor.  Too many younger folks don't understand its importance in our history and don't care to learn:

PearlHarborUSSArizona.jpg

PearlHarborUSSArizona6.jpg

PearlHarborUSSArizona5.jpg

PearlHarborUSSArizona2.jpg

PearlHarborUSSArizona3.jpg

PearlHarborUSSArizona4.jpg

Lived there for 5 years, (1978-83) loved it. Some places and things in life are overrated, Hawaii is not.

IMO Do not do tours, rent a car, get a map and enjoy. Save money on ocean view rather than front

to extend your time on the Island. Should be a trip of a lifetime. I?m Happy for you.  :D

• 2 months later...

Hey Whip, I lived on Oahu for 10 years, I worked for Aloha Airlines (no longer in buisness)  for 6 of those.  I moved to Alabama from Hawaii 2 years ago, I'd be happy to help you in anyway I can.  Alot just depends on how long your going to be there and what's "must do's" for your family.  When you start planning again hit me up!  There is so much more to Hawaii than than the touristy places can offer, I highly recommend Turtle Bay Resort unless Waikiki is more your speed, again depends on what your family is looking for.  Me and mine like to take the path less traveled :0)

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Hawaii about 10 years ago and as far as we were concerned it lived up to all the hype. We absolutely loved it. We spent a few days on Oahu and then went to Maui. If its still there, you should eat at Mama's Fish House. We tried to drive the road to Hana, but we all got carsick about 5 minutes into the trip. Turned around and recuperated at Mama's Fish House. We rode bicycles down Haleakema (sp?)...you looked over the clouds. Spectacular! We did a helicopter tour and still have the video of our friend crying through the whole thing. We even went to the nude beach! We had a great trip. Wish we were going too!!! Have a great time! :rofl2:

• 4 months later...

Old post, but I just saw it (and I think I'm still within the 4 year planning window)

We are planning the trip of a lifetime for when my daughter turns 16. so we have 4 + years to plan and save. We live in New England - we are probably going to go for three weeks. We do have some family there and they have provided some insight -but I am interested to find our what other people think about the islands.

We did almost 3 weeks a few years ago. Here are the highlights/suggestions.

Minimize time on Oahu, Do the Arizona memorial and any other "tourist" spot you may be interested in and get the heck off the island. It's a big city with lots of traffic!! If/when we go back Oahu is off the list of places to go. Been there, done that!

Maximize time on the big island and Maui

Look into Vacation Rentals by Owner for places to stay

Save your money and spend it on flying Business/First class - It's a long flight!!

Plan your stays on different islands and book inter-island flights early. For our trip we booked all air about 6 months early. We flew into Oahu, spent 4 days jumped over to the Big Island (it really is a BIG island) for a week, then on to Maui for another week. The flight home was out of Maui. Each inter island flight was about $40 per person because we booked early. The closer to the flight day the more expensive.

Costco in the islands sell liquor!!!! We had a VRBO house on the big island right on the water. First stop out of the airport was Costco for steaks & drinks. Held us for the week.

We tried to drive the road to Hana, but we all got carsick about 5 minutes into the trip.

I probably have never been so scared inmy life as the road to Hana :o
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm, tempting - I know this was an old post, and I'm not sure if Whip is still going or not.

But some other New England family (ahem - me and the DW) will be celebrating a 25th wedding anniversary in 2014. Maybe this would be the place! Was thinking Disney, but WDW is getting pricey and we have been there multiple times.

I like the idea of renting a condo in Hawaii.

Have you considered the 7 day cruise around the islands? That's what we did several years ago. It's a different cruise line today......I believe its Norwegian now. It was a great way to experience 5 different islands without a lot of plane hopping or hotel switching. Rent a car on each island and see the sights. Second Mama's fish house after the road to Hana. Yes, I got car sick going to Hana but was ok coming back and the sights (waterfalls) were amazing. On the cruise ship we went by the volcano's after dark and seen the red lava flowing into the ocean. I would do the cruise again in a heartbeat. But.....please know that this cruise ship is no frills....it's basically just room, food, and transportation to the islands. You cruise at night and in the morning you are in port for a day of sightseeing. Good luck planning!!!!