Just out of curiosity, what do you all use to control bugs at the Fort? I have those citronella candles in buckets, but I'm not sure I think they actually do much. I have bugspray, but I don't like putting that one before bed - especially if I've already showered. I think my parents use those fogger things before family reunions, but I've never tried them.

I'm having a bunch of people over for drinks/dinner one night and some were already complaining about the mosquitos and bugs, so I want to be proactive here.

See, told ya. That picture was taken after it bit Ed. Told ya alcohol was the answer.

The yellow flies are back....got my first bite of the season today down by Crockett's.

Durn sucker itches already!! :argh: Doesn't seem to matter what kind of repellant you use on against them.

Karla - Can you take care of those by the time I arrive? I'd really appreciate it!

WE live in the yellow fly capital . I also recomend the thermocells only relief you can get from yellow flys(if the wind is not blowing)

We get green flies in Maine (aka Deer Flies) and it sounds like they are pretty similar. Their bites hurt and then alternate between hurting and itching horrendously. I actually break out in gigantic welts from them.

The only thing I've found to help the bites is the Calendula Salve my SIL makes. It also works great as a general first aid salve - for humans and canines.

Here's a basic recipe if you want to try making your own.

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/09/homemade-calendula-salve.html

I'm sure you can buy it already prepared too.

We swear by those too, Jen. I've probably got at least 4 in the camper, 2 at home and a couple at our camp in the woods of Maine.

I buy the refills by the bunch as they can sometimes be hard to find.

Around these parts you can sometimes snag them on clearance at the end of the summer.