Fort Wildeness Comfort Stations-How do they Rate?

The Fort's Comfort Stations-aka-Shower House-are one of the reasons people return to Fort Wilderness. Since they have been refurbished, they are nicer then ever.

What's your opinion? Have you encountered better elsewhere?

Just a refresher, they come equipped with heat and AC, hot and cold running water, at least two sinks with mirrors and electrical outlets, 4 bathroom stalls- one ADA compliant  and 4 shower stalls with one being ADA compliant, nicely decorated in tile all around they are cleaned regularly.

CS also house a very nice laundry area, with approximately 5 washers and 6 dryers to each one. Vending machine with laundry condiments available. Remember to bring your quarters.

These are the best facilities I have used in our 30 years of camping. They keep me coming back.

I LOVE the Fort Wilderness Comfort Stations.

However, as I do go around to a few other campgrounds, I am finding some of the newer private ones are starting to develop private unisex "bathrooms" I've seen some where since they are fairly new they rival and/or exceed the cleanliness and/or niceness of the Fort.  However, most of these places have been small operations and probably used residential fixtures and sources which will not hold up to constant abuse.

Those comfort stations at the fort are top notch for sure!  After the refurb they got even better.  The last CG we were at I walked down to take a shower as the shower in the Jayco is a tad small for me.  The look of their comfort station made me turn around and go back to our camper. 

I have only been to one campground that had nicer comfort stations than the Fort.  What I liked about that campground is that the showers were in private rooms with a real door.  I was once "peek-a-booed" by a young boy while showering and while it was an innocent thing, I prefer knowing that I am completely alone when showering.  :flush2:

I like the remodel they did except for the sink faucets. Sure, you can throw a washcloth over the sensor & it will remain running longer, but I don't like the inability to regulate the water temperature. When they first put them in, they were obviously having problems setting the temperature or getting it to stay consistant because a few times I could have made hot tea with the water coming out.

I do like the trends in some campgrounds for the individual bathrooms, but I have noticed they tend to stay messy with water on the floor, etc, since it is all one unit.

Hey, is this another "FiendFlush 2011" thread???  :flush2:

Two things I would like to see:

More comfort stations. Some of the loops share one CS and from some sites it is a real hike.

Family restrooms.  When pushing a stroller it's nice to be able to roll in and close the door and have room to manuever, change diapers, etc.  I think they did put one in at the Meadows Pool Bldg.

Like Carol said, I have also seen some newer campgrounds that had a row of single restrooms that have sink, toilet and shower all in one room.  Gotta like that.  :))

They are the benchmark for us wherever we go.  Of course the Fort was our first ever camping trip, so there is little hope any other campground or resort will ever compare.

They are super clean!

The horror you must have felt the first time you went to a lowly state park campground! :D

We regularly visit one RV park that I wouldn't even walk into the women's bathroom.  Yet, strangely, the mens is always clean... lucky for me the park is so little used that we are usually the only visitors.  I just use the mens shower and lock the door.