• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Internet Access at the Fort Info Page is up!

Still need to add it to the Site Map, but for now the direct link is...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/internet-access-at-fort-wilderness-r238

If anyone gets any new info as the WiFi project continues to roll out, please let me know.

Just don't take the modem home with you! DH loaded it in our truck to drop off on our way out and guess who forgot to drop it off? We get all the way home to find it sitting in the truck -- had to drive it back to the Fort so they wouldn't charge us. Thankfully, we only live an hour away!!!

• 7 months later...

Form TCD

this is what the kit comes with

Picture215.jpg

This is a joke! For all the money we spend for a piece of concrete, a rusty grill and picnic table that no one can find a tablecloth for its quite ridiculous even though we are campers to have to deal with modems, wires, splitters and of course a friggen deposit to boot. Even the small family campgrounds in the smokies give you free wi-fi. Get with the times Disney

Last time I used a Disney modem...before we bought our own Verizon MiFi... I had trouble accepting and reconnecting every evening. After several successive called to tech assist, I found out my KTTW was not on file to charge. A new KTTW and i was in business for the rest of our stay. But we greatly prefer the MiFi.

This is a joke! For all the money we spend for a piece of concrete, a rusty grill and picnic table that no one can find a tablecloth for its quite ridiculous even though we are campers to have to deal with modems, wires, splitters and of course a friggen deposit to boot. Even the small family campgrounds in the smokies give you free wi-fi. Get with the times Disney

X2

You can hook your wireless router to the kit that you get from the Outpost (IF they have one available...quantities are limited)

Wireless is NOT turned off at night at any of the connection places (Crocketts, Meadows) nor on the wired connection.

The only thing is at least once a day you will get a screen that requires you to accept (re-accept) Disney's terms and conditions for using their connection. Once you click accept it drops you to the Disney Fort Wilderness page and you have to reconnect to where ever it hijacked you from. The connection speed is not all that great...3G speed...about 1 mbs.

For the past 2 months, I have not had to accept Disney's Terms. I have been connected to thier internet through a cable modem and was only disconnected twice when the whole the system went down. So they may have done away with the 24 hour accepting of the terms and it is only first time use. So as long as your IP stays the same, you shouldnt be bumped.

So If I bring this Useless.... er... Non-used Wireless router I can then Connect into the internet on site? Do they turn the wireless off at night at the wireless connection points? Is it 24 hours? Will I still need to go to McDonalds or Burger King to do my 9pm-12am Raid on sunday nights? Or can I just use the wifi? What is the connection like? Is it fast? slow? Moderate? :panic:

Sorry for the bombardment v.v I have 8 other people looking to me to continue tanking for them for those three hours... They keep telling me its only three hours a week >.> and its at night.... :blowup:

The free WiFi is not fast enough or reliable enough to use for online gamming. The cable modem is decent, but its not your home DSL or Cable that you are use to. If you try the WiFi for gamming, expect allot of lag and disconnects due to overload. Maybe more frustrating than its worth.

Even though Disney wi-fi may be slow and the trees may be tough on a signal, there is no reason they cannot put more wi-fi zones throughout the campsites. Would that cost more money than just one long range signal? Probably but I don't think money could be an issue with Disney. Im not a tekkie so maybe I'm wrong, but there has to be a way

The free WiFi is not fast enough or reliable enough to use for online gamming. The cable modem is decent, but its not your home DSL or Cable that you are use to. If you try the WiFi for gamming, expect allot of lag and disconnects due to overload. Maybe more frustrating than its worth.

It must depend on which loop you are on, we have had no problem on 200 I'm getting 150mbs

It must depend on which loop you are on, we have had no problem on 200 I'm getting 150mbs

Are you using WiFi? If so, WiFi in the 200 loop is new. If youre using the cable modem, they are good as long as there arent many people using it at the same time. On busy weekends it can bog down but during the week when the Fort is empty its pretty fast.

• 4 months later...

We've always had dsl so I don't know much about cable-based Internet, so excuse my ignorance, but is there a certain "type" of cable modem needed to connect to the Fort, or will any generic cable modem work? We hit a lot of garage sales and I know I've passed on dozens of the things, but if I can pick one up for a couple of bucks it'd be good insurance against finding the Fort's modems were all checked out. My wife will doubtless spend many hours working during our trip, so we need reliable Internet. TIA

I'll be glad when they just have wifi in the loops.  We leave in a week (Yay!) and I was hoping they had updated the system like all the other resorts (and campgrounds where I've stayed).  I wanted to do a webcam from the site. :(

I tried the whole web cam thing and the Forts internet is not fast enough to support a live video stream for extended periods. It continues to time out and must be rebooted, about every 2 hours.

It has to be "FORT" specific and set up for their system.

That's a bummer. We'll bring the "mifi" and HOPE to get a cable modem. The Fort is 3G-only with our SP. Maybe if the connection sucks bad enough I can pull my wife away from her laptop!