I'm Camper shopping and it looks like were headed for a very large Fifth Wheel. I am very interested in it having a washer and dryer. What do the people that have them and use them think. Are they useful in a camper or are they to small? One of the units I'm interested in has the washer dryer prep and the other dose not. Any suggestions or comments would help. Thanks Andy

The all in one washer & dryer combo does not hold a lot, I have heard at the most at one time would be like 2 or 3 pair of jeans or 1 large sheet and maybe 2 towells. If & when we get a w/d it would be the stacker kind, holds more, our present unit is ready but we opted to wait till the next one as it will be the retirement unit.

I have talked to many fulltimers in the laundry room. Those that have the combo complain about the time it takes vs what it holds. If you don't have young ones with you you would probably be ok. Many commercial campgrounds, largely the ones that have septic systems have restrictions against using them. Those that do have restrictions against using them also have restrictions about what you can use in their laundromat.....

I would have never considered it until more recently. With me doing the two week trips, laundry becomes more of an issue than I'd like. Being able to start a load at night while I'm making a cocktail/opening a beer and putting it in the dryer before bed would be a lot better than running back and forth to the comfort station to check on it. Of course, I don't have a camper with said laundry hookups so it isn't an issue, but I can see it being really helpful.

I would have never considered it until more recently. With me doing the two week trips, laundry becomes more of an issue than I'd like. Being able to start a load at night while I'm making a cocktail/opening a beer and putting it in the dryer before bed would be a lot better than running back and forth to the comfort station to check on it. Of course, I don't have a camper with said laundry hookups so it isn't an issue, but I can see it being really helpful.

That's actually how we do it now.... Rick heads for the shower and carries the load of laundry with him, starts the wash, I get the inside of the camper ready for bed. When he comes back from the shower, I head for the comfort station and put the clothes in the dryer, then by the time I'm done with the shower, the clothes are usually dry, and I bring them back to the camper and we put them away, then, nighty night!.

Then again sometimes, we just do the laundry during the day on a Fort day (which is actually most days, LOL)

It's amazing how little water the combo unit uses and how clean it gets the clothes. I'm guessing less than 3 gallons. But you do need to use special detergent in it. It's about $20 a box, but I've been using a box for 6 years now and still have about 1/3 of it left. Use about a tablespoon of detergent and a teaspoon or less of liquid fabric softener per load.

My parents have experienced both. They had the combo, which they liked but you almost have to do laundry daily to keep up and that was just the two of them. Now they have the stack which allows them to do more laundry at one time. Both have pluses and minuses, combo you set it and forget it (but not too long on the clothes come out wrinkly). The stack does more quantity. Not sure that this helps.

My parents have experienced both. They had the combo, which they liked but you almost have to do laundry daily to keep up and that was just the two of them. Now they have the stack which allows them to do more laundry at one time. Both have pluses and minuses, combo you set it and forget it (but not too long on the clothes come out wrinkly). The stack does more quantity. Not sure that this helps.

I do laundry almost daily in my combo. I usually set it up to wash/dry overnight. It doesn't matter if towels and underwear are a little wrinkled. Heavy fabrics like jeans are okay to stay in it til the next morning. If I'm washing shirts or light fabrics I either do a load earlier in the day and take them out immediately or just partially dry them and finish drying the next morning while I'm cooking breakfast and hang them immediately when they finish.

Personally I like the combo. Would probably like stackable more but wouldn't give up the additional storage space. Our moho is 36', perfect size for us. If we had a huge 45 footer space wouldn't be an issue.

I do laundry almost daily in my combo. I usually set it up to wash/dry overnight. It doesn't matter if towels and underwear are a little wrinkled. Heavy fabrics like jeans are okay to stay in it til the next morning. If I'm washing shirts or light fabrics I either do a load earlier in the day and take them out immediately or just partially dry them and finish drying the next morning while I'm cooking breakfast and hang them immediately when they finish.

Personally I like the combo. Would probably like stackable more but wouldn't give up the additional storage space. Our moho is 36', perfect size for us. If we had a huge 45 footer space wouldn't be an issue.

Agreed.. we squeezed 8 of us in it for the weekend (6 adults and 2 kids).

We had one in our last RV but we took it out and put a small refrigerator in its place. DH tried to use the washer one day but it would only hold 2 or 3 of the items he needed to wash and with medically fragile children and all the bedding and clothing we go through in a day it was not worth it and we needed the space for something else. It is expensive to use the laundromats when we travel but it actually takes less time because I can get more in the larger washers. So I save the quarters all year for our trip to Disney in December-January and a trip somewhere in the summer. :mh1:

When we bought our new fiver, the washer/dryer preplumb was a must. We walked away from a couple units because that wasnt an option. We then got a combo splendide, ventless (I couldnt cut a hole in the side of my brand new fiver). We could not be without one now. They hold more than you think and we end up doing laundry every other day when the basket gets full. We wash everything in it, sheets, towles, bead spreads. The only complaint is that you have to wait a whole cycle (wash then dry) before being able to do another load. Takes about 2 hours for a complete cycle. But we throw a load in before going to work or out for the day and let it run. When we come home, fold the cloths and start another load.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two sides of a list. Stuff that is a must have (good AC, multi power refrig, etc) and stuff I would like to have if roon and money permits. Washer/dryer is definitely on the list, but it falls into the second category above. A lot of our big trips are to the fort, so it's super convenient to use the comfort stations.