We are considering joining AAA, one for the roadside assistance and two for the potential discounts for various places. What kind of FW discounts does it offer. (like June) for example and do ya'll think its worth it and been happy with the service? All opinions are welcome

This is a topic which has been discussed here on a few previous occasions.

Just because you have AAA does not mean you will always get a discount at the Fort.

There are a limited number of discounts. The folks who have the best luck getting the discounts are those who book far in advance. Some times of the year, there are none available. And good luck trying to find out when- that information is not published anywhere.

And, you don't need to actually be a member of AAA to book the discount. Or, in many cases, to use it.

So, that makes it even harder for real AAA members to get discounts.

If and when you can get a discount, it can vary from 10 to 20% off of the rack rate. Depending on what time of year you are going, and what level of site you are reserving, that could save you anywhere from a few bucks to $20-ish a night on your site.

I love AAA. I have been a member as long as I have been driving. That's more than 30 years now. It has saved my butt many a time.

In all my trips to WDW, and there have been many, I have only been able to apply a AAA discount a few times.

TCD

In all of my years of being a AAA member I have only had to use the service once and was very pleased. I do use the discounts and have had luck getting discounts at the Fort. Most of our trips have been in Sept, I have recieved discounts in June and Oct also. All have been 20% , for premium sites and booked a year in advance.

We've been AAA members for many years now and probably use their service once a year or so. We actually just did recently when my car died on the way home from work. We've always been very pleased with them.

As for WDW discounts - you can sometimes get your hands on room only discounts (campsites included) but they can be tough to get sometimes. We got one a couple of years ago that ended up saving us $10 a night, which added up to $200 overall.

There have been some reports lately of several people getting AAA campsite discounts that were actually better than the Annual Pass discounts.

AAA also offers all kinds of other discounts that really can add up if you take advantage of them.

I'd definitely recommend the membership overall.

The discount available for June/Jule 2012 (right now) is 20%. It was still available for all of July except the 3rd & 4th when I called yesterday for a client. Currently the AAA code is about $7-11 cheaper than AP rates IIRC.

That was my experience in the spring as well but I always wait for AP rates to be announced just in case they're lower. AP used to be the lowest possible rate but not recently. No idea why the change...

The discount available for June/Jule 2012 (right now) is 20%. It was still available for all of July except the 3rd & 4th when I called yesterday for a client. Currently the AAA code is about $7-11 cheaper than AP rates IIRC.

That was my experience in the spring as well but I always wait for AP rates to be announced just in case they're lower. AP used to be the lowest possible rate but not recently. No idea why the change...

So , if we decide to join, do we book thru AAA or call Disney and ask for a AAA discount?

You can do either but be aware that if you book through AAA they will need to make any changes to your reservation for you.

If you do it yourself through Disney you'll have complete control over your reservation.

That said, sometimes it's easier to let someone else handle things. :)

So , if we decide to join, do we book thru AAA or call Disney and ask for a AAA discount?

You can do either but be aware that if you book through AAA they will need to make any changes to your reservation for you.

If you do it yourself through Disney you'll have complete control over your reservation.

That said, sometimes it's easier to let someone else handle things. :)

The only thing I have to add to Monique's reply is that after you have tried calling Disney a couple of times to see if they can add a AAA discount, you will find out that it is always easier to use a travel agent to assist with looking for discounts.

TCD

I have always planned my reservations well in advance, even in June and have always managed to get a AAA discount. There have been times I had to wait until they opened them up in January but I did get it. The discounts I have received have always been way more than what AAA cost me for the year. 20% and more. Last year we saved over $300 on a 14 day trip. On a 10-14 day trip that is a significant savings. Besides, it's always a good thing to have too...For the car. Have never used it for the RV. Heard they didn't do as well for that. I would use a travel agent because they are on top of any discounts available. We have a few here.

Keep in mind also that MANY businesses, including restaurants, offer AAA discounts if you ask. For instance, if you eat at Earl of Sandwich at DTD they will give you 15% off. A few discounts like that and you've helped pay for the membership.

DSCF3911.jpg

D'oh!

I never knew that!

You are right- there are lots of places that offer AAA discounts. When we visit my DD in Tallahassee, I have booked some pretty good discounted rates on line. Also, Busch Gardens and Sea World offer significant AAA discounts, as does Universal Studios.

TCD

Oh as far as booking through AAA or through Disney.

AAA Travel can ONLY do AAA packages. They don't do room only. However, if you want AAA discount on the room only then you can book with Disney yourself or any travel agent can ask about the AAA discount. Other travel agents cannot do AAA packages.

Oh as far as booking through AAA or through Disney.

AAA Travel can ONLY do AAA packages. They don't do room only. However, if you want AAA discount on the room only then you can book with Disney yourself or any travel agent can ask about the AAA discount. Other travel agents cannot do AAA packages.

This is a little different than the a room at a hotel. But I booked just a site at FW & didn't get a package attached to it. If you book a complete package through AAA you can get into a preferred viewing area to watch Wishes.

Very strange. I just called about AAA discount and CM told me it is never more than 10% ?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get a AAA discount for the Fort in 2013? I keep calling and they say they aren't out yet. But I've seen on other forums that people are getting discounts for other resorts. Yesterday they said the only AAA discounts they have are for some non-Disney hotels? Does that make sense? I'm trying to get a discount for the first part of February.