We're trying to decide between budgetting for February or October 2014. October isn't ideal, it will be my daughter's first year of school and I'm concerned about pulling her out for a week that soon into the year.

If we do choose the beginning of February what should we expect weather wise? We'll be in a cabin so I'm fine with nights being cool to cold, I'm more worried about being cold during the day. I'm assuming it will be too cold to swim, is that right? Anything else I need to know?

Welcome, Rachel. We have done WDW in February many times. You can expect all kinds of weather. Last February was beautiful. Temps in the 80's and sunny everyday. On the other side we have been there in winter coats. Either way the low crowds made it all worth it to us.

:welcrowd: Rachel!

We used to come the first week of Feb for my birthday every year. Most times the weather was fine - very comfortable, tshirt, long sleeve, or sweatshirt weather, and not too crowded. OTOH I can remember a trip at the end of march that everybody ended up wearing coats for. You just never know.

I will say that Oct weather is more moderate and much more pool/waterpark friendly. Not sure what week of Oct you were considering but Halloween at the fort is awesome! So much better than anywhere we've ever been. After being here last Halloween, it definitely tops my list of times to visit - even summer - and I'm typing this from the fort right now...

All things being equal (i.e., not factoring in school stuff) my preference would be October for all the reasons noted above, plus the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot (one of our favorite events) and Halloween. Even if you're not there for the actual holiday (which at the Fort is FANTASTIC), the Magic Kingdom is all decked out and they hold Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Part all month, which is a blast.

Either way the low crowds made it all worth it to us.

You just said the magic words. :laugh: We would be there in the first week so no President's Day weekend crowds to contend with.

All things considered February is the better choice for more than just school but being there for Halloween sounds lovely too.

I always try to go in February if at all possible. I have a lot going on that month, so it's hit or miss from year to year. The crowds are definitely low. There have been times I've been watching fireworks on the beach with just a few other people.

That being said, two February's ago I was there the first weekend and nearly froze to death. It was in the upper 30's at night. Not so bad at home, but when you're out in it, it gets a bit chilly.

The only thing you can count on about the weather in Florida is:

Summer lasts from May through September, it will be HOT to very HOT with thunderstorms most afternoons.

The rest of the year can be fairly moderate temps, HOT or FREEZING cold!

That being said, you must be prepared in February for HOT, moderate or VERY COLD. That makes for a lot of packing! Watch the weather forecast up to the day you leave. I love to go in February! Chances are good that the weather will be wonderful then and the crowds are definitely easier to deal with then!

We were there this past February 11-17. The first couple of days it was FRICKIN' FREEZING. Miserable. In the mornings we basically just hunkered down in the TT until about lunchtime. I tried looping once in the morning and about lost my hands. We couldn't sit outside at night and it was even too cold for us to go to the campfire (which we love).

HOWEVER, after those couple of days the weather turned around and it ended up being really nice. Cool at nights, pleasant in the days.

Summer lasts from May through September

You're being a little conservative Rita, add a month on both ends.

it will be HOT to very HOT

I don't think mid 90s, which is as high as it's been this summer, is very hot.

Very hot to me is high 90s and 100s, which hardly ever happens.

The highest temp while you were here over the 4th was 93.

with thunderstorms most afternoons.

Here are the facts and also witnessed by a long time resident, me.

Thunderstorms almost every day is a myth perpetuated by you outsiders and the dummies that come to the Orlando area once every 3 years in the summer time and then think they're experts on Florida weather.

The actual recorded weather during this past June in the Orlando area was that it rained only 18 out of 30 days. There were a few periods that it didn't rain for 2 to 3 days.

This month, it's rained only 4 of 13 days. Next weeks forcast does show thunderstorms every day but the highest percentage of it actually raining is 50% or less with most of the week being at 20 to 30%.

So it's more likely that there won't be a thunder storm in the afternoon.

So put that in your pipes and smoke it central Florida summer haters.

Lou, those "mild temperatures" that you mention do not take in to account the extreme humidity. I believe when we were there for the 4th the heat index was either 103 or 107. Heat stroke/dehydration are very dangerous and if you are from the north and think you can bring your kids down here and spend the day dragging them through the parks, no one is going to have a good time. It is better to be forewarned and prepared. I know it doesn't rain EVERY day, but it is a possibility every day and folks need to know to expect that. I live in Florida, and am sitting here watching the storms build most every day. Some days we can see them, but get no rain and others it pours and thunders and lightning!

Advice for summer:

Take sunscreen, water, bug spray, hats, ponchos, personal fans.

Plan to take a break during the hottest part of the day.

Drink more than you think you need.

Other times:

Take all of the above, warm hats, gloves and clothes you clothes you can layer, jacket

Lou, those "mild temperatures" that you mention do not take in to account the extreme humidity. I believe when we were there for the 4th the heat index was either 103 or 107.

No, no, no Rita, you can't use the the heat index baloney. The heat index is always there, even when the temps are lower, but it's only dragged out when people want to make it sound like it's hotter than the temp says it is.

So ok, the temp is 85, oooh, feels nice. Oh wait, forgot to add the heat index. It's in the 90s now and that's way too hot.

Heat stroke/dehydration are very dangerous and if you are from the north and think you can bring your kids down here and spend the day dragging them through the parks, no one is going to have a good time.

They are dangerous in extreme temps, but we don't get extreme temps here.

A little parental common sense and the kids will be fine, evidence by the millions and millions that come here during the summer with no problems.

Cases of heat stoke in kids and dehydration is rare, Uncomfortable yes, dangerous, no.

If it was a problem, you'd hear about it all over the place, and I haven't seen it or heard of it.

Advice for summer:

Take sunscreen, water, bug spray, hats, ponchos, personal fans.

Plan to take a break during the hottest part of the day.

Drink more than you think you need.

All good advice, if you're crazy enough to come down in the summer time, it's hot.

I'd add lots of money to the list.

Honestly, in February it'll be around -15 celcius and 2ft. of snow here, anything sounds better than that. It's part of the reason my husband is pushing for February, he'd rather get a break from the winter misery, I'd rather see pretty decorations. Of course I'm also impatient and February is closer than October.

Honestly, in February it'll be around -15 celcius and 2ft. of snow here, anything sounds better than that. It's part of the reason my husband is pushing for February, he'd rather get a break from the winter misery, I'd rather see pretty decorations. Of course I'm also impatient and February is closer than October.

Sooner is always better! No snow would be better for y'all too, I'm sure! Disney is always nice, the holidays are special, but it always pretty there!

My DW and I took our kids in early Feb 2011 and early Feb 2010. Weather was between 60 and 80....only one day of 80 or more total in two trips so not much swimming. The wait times were very short for just about everything except TSM, but we would just walk to TSM and get a fast pass and come back later. DS was 4-5 for the two trips and DD was 1.5 and 2.5 for the two trips. Long lines with kids that young are not fun and these trips went great. So if swimming is really important I would say go in October but if short lines are more important, go in early February.

As the kids get older we will probably attempt other times besides just the lowest crowd level times, but for now the short wait times win the day.

You've gotten bad advice from all involved, so I will be the voice of reason here and set you straight.

Go both times.

I know, you're probably thinking to yourself "I can't afford to go both times". Well, phooey. Ontario has a lottery, doesn't it? And even if that doesn't pan out, there's always selling plasma. However you come up with the money, you may as well book both trips. Cause it sounds to me like you are leaning toward February, and I GUAR-AN-TEE you that after your Feb trip you won't even be back across the Canadian border and you'll be online booking an October trip.

I speak from experience.

You've gotten bad advice from all involved, so I will be the voice of reason here and set you straight.

Go both times.

I know, you're probably thinking to yourself "I can't afford to go both times". Well, phooey. Ontario has a lottery, doesn't it? And even if that doesn't pan out, there's always selling plasma. However you come up with the money, you may as well book both trips. Cause it sounds to me like you are leaning toward February, and I GUAR-AN-TEE you that after your Feb trip you won't even be back across the Canadian border and you'll be online booking an October trip.

I speak from experience.

I stand completely corrected. Do what Dave said.