Beer review: Samuel Adams Summer Ale

From Beers and Ears...

Samuel Adams Summer Ale

August 10th, 2012 by Scott In Walt Disney World Beer Reviews

IMG_1625-605x403.jpg

The summer seasonal from the Boston Beer Company is Samuel Adams Summer Ale. Referred to as an American wheat ale, its inspiration comes from Belgian witbiers (think Hoegaarden). Samuel Adams’ twist on the style includes lemon peel and Grains of Paradise.

IMG_1623-150x150.jpg

Summer Ale has a hazy golden color with a nose full of grain. Malty grain flavor with a lemon citrus tang and just the slightest bit of spice. Lots of carbonation. It’s a good beer to have a bunch of. Not the most interesting beer, but still tastes fine.

Samuel Adams Summer Ale can be found at Walt Disney World wherever Samuel Adams Seasonal is served. Grab it while you can; Octoberfest will be on its way soon (I just saw it in the store today).

http://beersandears.net/2012/08/samuel-adams-summer-ale/

I just picked up a 6-er of Octoberfest at Total Wine this weekend, and believe it or not, I haven't sunk my teeth into one yet. Tomorrow is another day and there are several chillin' in the ice box. I'm not a fan of 'wheat' beers, but the lemon sounds intriguing. BTW, those Octoberfesters are sitting between a couple of Boston Lagers and a couple of Boston Ales. The Patriot Brewer has claimed the majority of the prime real estate on my beer shelf.

However, Mr. Adams could not quite squeeze out the two bottles of Magic Hat HEX Octoberfest that had also staked a claim. Cheers, my fine feathered fiends.

Hmm... sounds like something I need to try!

I saw this weekend that Sam Adams has a pumpkin something-or-other out now too.

Time to stock up on the caramel vodka and whip up some "pumpkin pie" mmmmmmm......

Something like Hef.

I like Hex better than this year's Octoberfest by Sam Adams.

Spatin Octoberfest is good but my FAVORITE (so far) this year is

Pauliner! Really smooth!

Havnt found the Leinikuegal Octoberfest yet. Boo!

"Heaping" is a word that goes entirely under-used in the English language. I like it.

I like pantload.

Yes

Depends on who you ask

see above

Are you trying to get this moved to the Debate Board? :clint:

Honestly, I think it depends on each individuals likes. Beers can different flavor profiles in different seasons and as they age.

Example, domestic mass produced beer is best right after being bottled. It is pasterized, and has a shorter shelf life than home brews.

Home brews, generally get better the longer they age,dependent if they were bottled correctly.

We bought a case of Sam Adams Octoberfest a couple of years ago right when it hit the market for the season. We tried a couple once they chilled down and was diappointed. However, after about a month, the flavor profile had improved on the same beer. The same with beer that isn't stored correctly, and "skunked".

When I married Tony, I only enjoyed Miller Lite. I've developed a better understanding of the beer and enjoy almost all now. I think it is like someone starting on sweet white whine and developing into reds.

What Genia said. I'd say there are nearly as many kinds of beer as there are kinds of wine - with lots of different types that can vary by ingredients, regions, who makes them, alcohol content, etc. And the same beer can taste very different in a can, bottle or on tap.

I noticed at Food & Wine last year that there are more and more beers each year (and I tried most of them!)

Personally...

I'm not a fan of "hoppy" beers.

Love a nice, smooth dark beer.

Enjoy a good wheat beer.

Also enjoy *some* flavored beers, but not the ones that are overly flavored.

As for "best"... totally subjective.

The big deal these days is microbrews or craft beers, brewed by smaller companies vs the big guys like Anheuser Busch. The variety and possibilities are endless.

As an example, one weekend I stopped by Barb's Beer Emporium (yep - a store just for beer!) and picked up a sampling of beers we'd never tried...

7317166026_3ef9707ddc_c.jpg

This represented about .5% of all the different kinds of beer they sell and they run the gamut from dark, heavy beers to light fruity beers, and everything in between.

Thus ends today's episode of Beer 101.

This is going to end on the debate forumn, I can see it :rofl2:

I don't do fruity or flavored beers.

But I've come to "accept" the hoppy IPAs that seem to be everywhere you look now.

I enjoy porters, stouts and the Octoberfest beers.

And I do enjoy the High Life Light but if I have to buy cans, then Miller Lite.

But, I am really encouraged about the number of micro breweries now canning beer.

I learned at the Miller Plant, that bottled and canned beer has a different taste becuase it is pasterized where keg isn't. Does not applie to cold filtered beer, like MGD. MGD isn't pasterized.

What Genia said. I'd say there are nearly as many kinds of beer as there are kinds of wine - with lots of different types that can vary by ingredients, regions, who makes them, alcohol content, etc. And the same beer can taste very different in a can, bottle or on tap.

I noticed at Food & Wine last year that there are more and more beers each year (and I tried most of them!)

Personally...

I'm not a fan of "hoppy" beers.

Love a nice, smooth dark beer.

Enjoy a good wheat beer.

Also enjoy *some* flavored beers, but not the ones that are overly flavored.

As for "best"... totally subjective.

The big deal these days is microbrews or craft beers, brewed by smaller companies vs the big guys like Anheuser Busch. The variety and possibilities are endless.

As an example, one weekend I stopped by Barb's Beer Emporium (yep - a store just for beer!) and picked up a sampling of beers we'd never tried...

7317166026_3ef9707ddc_c.jpg

This represented about .5% of all the different kinds of beer they sell and they run the gamut from dark, heavy beers to light fruity beers, and everything in between.

Thus ends today's episode of Beer 101.

I think another sampling and beer review thread needs to happen soon Mo. I am havjng withdrawals. I could buy some at my local store and contribute also. Maybe G too and any ofher fiends that want to jump in? A fiend beer review weekend?