We are planning our first trip to FW & have a few questions.

First some background:

· Going spring break 2013 (literally the week before Easter).

· There's Mom, Dad, DD 12, & DS 9. No pets.

· We have a new class C that's about 32 feet. Would prefer not to rent a golf cart just from a cost savings perspective. Thinking of bringing bikes for all 4 of us instead.

· We will be there 5 full days (not counting travel days). We will do one park per day (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood, Animal Kingdom, with a break day in the middle for Downtown Disney).

· We would prefer to avoid pet loops if possible. We would like to be able to walk to the boat launch area. We would like to be within walking distance of a pool but not be so close as to hear constant loud noise.

Now the questions:

· Can we book a loop now & then maybe add the dining plan later (still need to decide if it's the right thing for us but don't want to lose the site in the meantime)?

· We have eyeballed loops 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 700, or 1400. Theory is that these are closer to the boat launch area. Take the boat launch to Magic Kingdom & Animal Kingdom. Take the boat launch to Contemporary & transfer to bus for Epcot & Hollywood. Is that plan doable? From those loops, could we walk to the boat launch if don't take bikes (we know the place is big, we just don't know how big yet!)?

· If the walking thing doesn't work, are there bike racks to lock our bikes up at bus stop areas, the boat launch in the back, the outpost in the front, etc.?

· The dining plan includes a refillable mug. Where can that be filled at - theme parks, hotel resorts, & FW (if at FW, where?)?

Thanks very much. I am positive we'll be back with more questions as we continue to plan & narrow this down.

Welcome! I think the only question I can answer is that I don't believe you can take a boat to Animal Kingdom from FW (or from anywhere else, if I am recalling correctly). However, there are buses. There are internal buses that just help you get around within FW. They come pretty regularly, so we had no trouble just taking a bus to the boat luanch or the bus stop for the external buses. There are external buses that will take you just about everywhere.

I would still bring the bikes, just cause they are fun. Also, I am pretty sure there is a bike rack near the boat launch, but I am sure the folks here will give you better answers to all your questions.

Just a word of caution - even a 9yo will be pretty worn out after a day of trying to do everything you want to at one park. Try not to overschedule so your vacation doesn't become a mission to do it all, rather than a time to enjoy the parks, Fort Wilderness, and esp. each other.

Lastly, take lots of pictures. You will treasure them for years to come. And if you happended to share them here and tell us about the fun you had, we would love to share vicariously in your fun.

Have a great trip! Come back often with all your questions!

Editted to fix the mistake Lou caught!

I think I can answer most of your questions.

- You actually don't book a loop, but a site category (Full, Preferred, Premium work for a Class C). Loops are assigned later. You can make a request about 5 days prior to arrival, but they are just that, requests. Yes, you can add the dining plan later if you book now.

- Loops 100 and 200 are preferred - preferred meaning location by the marina. 300 is also preferred, but it's a pet loop. 400, 500, 600 and 700 are Premium pet loops. 1400 is a Premium, non-pet loop. The catch - during busy times most of us have seen pets in most loops... even the partial site loops. You can walk to the marina from 100, 200 and 400 easily, 500 and 300 are a little farther and 1400 is walkable, but could be a long walk after all day in a park.

- You would take the boat to Magic Kingdom, but just go to the outpost and take a bus to Epcot, DHS, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney. You can boat to Contemporary first, but it would add a good bit of time to your journey.

- I know there's a bike rack on the beach at the marina. I'm not 100% certain there is at the outpost, but I can't imagine why there wouldn't be. If I weren't driving to a park and I didn't have a cart, I'd probably take the internal bus to the outpost and then transfer. Not sure I'd want to ride my bike back after a long day in the park and in pitch black dark, either, but I'm not the best bike rider, so that's to each his own.

- The refillable mug is only refillable at the resort where you're staying for the length of your trip. You can fill it with soda, tea and coffee at Pioneer Hall, the snack bar at the pool while it's open and coffee from the Meadow Trading Post.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Enjoy planning the trip!

Before I had my camper and could have a quick brakfast at the site in the morning. I would start my days exactly as you suggested. I would boat to the Contemporary early in the morning. Have breakfast at the food court there and take, transport from there to my destination.

I was tent camping and didn't bring food or cooking stuff with me.

I think Mary meant you could not take just one bus.....you will take one bus to the outpost (if you are not close enough to walk there) and then board a bus headed whereever you want to go. You can not take a boat to the Animal Kingdom. :welcome2:

OP here.

Thanks to all for the help.

Our mistake on the boat launch. We saw Wilderness Lodge & thought that was the one in Animal Kingdom.

We have rethought some things. We are going to book a premium site. Staying in the back doesn't seem to make sense since we'll be going out the front more than the back. The boat at the back really only goes to MK. We'll use the bus at the front for Epcot, Hollywood, Animal Kingdom, & Downtown Disney.

Here are the loops that we have eyeballed & will try to request about 5 days before: 1100, 1200, or 1300 on the front side so away from pool noise on the back side.

Avoiding 1400 since it's closer to the dog park.

Avoiding 1000 since it appears to be closer to the main road with a semi circle shape vs a road back.

We have pretty much decided against the dining plan. We would have only done the basic plan (2 quick service, 1 snack, refillable mug option). Seems like conventional wisdom on the net is that it's harder to recoup your investment with that plan & it takes more planning for restaurants / meals which we don't really want. Plus our DD at 12 would pay adult prices & tends to eat mostly smaller portions & / or non-mainstream foods (i.e., she is happy with a cheesestick app for dinner).

We are looking into the golf cart (through Kenny / tee time).

Another question: Is there a AAA discount on sites? If so, do we need to go through AAA or call Disney to get it? Guessing there isn't a way to get it on Disney's website.

Another question: Is there a AAA discount on sites? If so, do we need to go through AAA or call Disney to get it? Guessing there isn't a way to get it on Disney's website.

Suggestion: Contact Judy Fiest, she advertises on FF.Net, she is fantastic at finding the best deal possible. It costs you nothing, she gets her commision from Disney. DW always made our ressies, until this last time, when she transferred them to Judy. Judy saved us 20%. :clint:

Welcome! I think you'll be there the week before us. We'll be there March 30-April 7. I am also booking with Judy to save money. I didn't know about that last time. We stayed in the 1400 loop and really liked it. I did see pets on our loop, even though it's not a pet loop.

We loved the cart we rented from Kenny.

One suggestion, spend some time at the Fort and enjoy all there is to do. We spent 5 days in the parks and 2 at the Fort last time. This time we're doing 2 in the parks and 5 at the Fort. There are really cool Easter activities if you will be there that day. We left on Easter last year, but did some in the morning before leaving. There were also some activities during the days leading up to Easter.

Just sent Judy an e-mail.

GaDawgFan - We'll be passing each other. We will be checking out on 3/30 & driving back up 75 to Cincinnati. Perhaps you know about 75 around Atlanta? We are going to try to stay in the KOA just south of Atlanta in Forsyth on the way down & then the KOA just north of Atlanta in Cartersville on the way back home. We tend to be more state park people but figure the KOA's will be open that time of year & close off of 75. Are they safe areas, decent places, etc?

Suggestion: Contact Judy Fiest, she advertises on FF.Net, she is fantastic at finding the best deal possible. It costs you nothing, she gets her commision from Disney. DW always made our ressies, until this last time, when she transferred them to Judy. Judy saved us 20%. :clint:

Definitely go through Judy.. And yes she was able to get me the AAA discount. She will find the best deal that applies to you.. And it doesn't cost you anything..

The KOA at Forsyth is graeat! Easy pull throughs Great for plugging in electric and off to bed! Nice bath house too if you need it!

The Cartersville KOA is a nice stop as well. Their overnight spots are in the front and not far from the bathhouse.

OOPS, almost forgot my manners.

-gif.gif

Welcome!

The only thing I have to add to what others have said is that you seem to making assumptions about the pet loops and the dog park that may not be valid. Except on one occasion, when we were next to a "yippy" dog, I have not found the pet loops to be any noisier than the non-pet loops. And, I guarantee you that noise from the dog park is not an issue on the 1400 loop. In fact, I don't think noise from the dog park is an issue on any loop.

Also, the sites on the 1000 loop are much further from any main road than the majority of sites on the 1200 loop, a good number of which back up to Big Pine Drive. But, I camped on a site on the 1200 loop for Thanksgiving week last year, and we were as close to the main intersection of the Fort's internal roads as you can get. Traffic noise was not a problem. And there was a lot of traffic.

Since you have not been to the Fort before, my best advice to you is to relax. Everything will be fine. All loops have pros and cons. I like some loops better than others, but my reasons may not be the same as your reasons. You need to go and find out for yourself.

TCD

Too bad we'll probably miss each other. Call in to work Monday. Easter at the Fort is amazing!!!!

But back to your question. I've never stayed at either but have heard good things about both. In my experience, KOAs are a good choice when having to book site unseen.

I'll also say welcome. Have a wonderful time and bring your bikes. They can go places that golf carts can't go. There is a great path from FW to WL that if you take around dusk you will see lots of deer. Also, I will say that there is almost no noise generated at the dog park. So any loop around there would not be bothered by dog sounds. Except for the occasional dog barking in an RV when people/dogs walk by I have never had a barking dog problem and we have been staying since 2007 and come about 4 - 6 times a year for various lengths of time. You will find no place better than FW and no people friendlier than FortFiends. I've been off this site for a while, but I love coming back and getting in touch again. So enjoy your trip. You will take home great memories.

We have never taken a dog, but have been put in the 500 loop a couple of times. No dog noise except when I went around the back of my MH where the neighbors had a pen set up. Dog were inside when owners were away and at night, so no problem then. We have driven the GC by the dog park many times and you can't even hear them on the road. Virtually all owners leash their pets, and most do the clean up thing.

1400 is close to the Meadows area, and we have been there 2-3 times but we were never bothered by noise there, except when our site backed up to the Campfire area. In the outside sites in 1200, there will be quite a bit of bus noise, but the sites are pretty big. As others have said, each loop has pros and cons and a lot depends on your desires. Enjoy your stay in whichever loop you wind up.