The Tortoise & The Hare, Southern Style

We're back in the mud!

I debated on sharing this mini report for a couple different reasons.

1.) I understand our "dirty" lifestyle isn't what some of you would consider fun, but I know a couple of you "get it."

If you don't; no harm, no foul, move along, it won't hurt my feelings. ;)

Maybe some of you just enjoy my goofy humor and endless ramblings. If that's you, c'mon and enjoy the ride. Ask questions, post comments, tell me I'm whacked, it's all good.

2.) Something else that needs to be discussed briefly. A month ago, Nate & Amanda broke up. It was tough for everyone after 4 1/2 yrs, but all things happen for a reason.

Nate is seeing someone new, Amber. I had the pleasure of meeting her on Saturday, at the mud hole.

Very sweet girl who seems to make Nate happy. If Nate's happy, I'm happy.

Because she will be in these pics, dirtier than a little pig, I have a random shot of her from Nate's Facebook. If I were her, I would kill me, for showing you nothing but filthy, dirty pics. (It's a 'girl thing')

Amber is 3rd from the left.

581975_4340894364922_243559979_n.jpg

Now that that's out of the way, let's move on.

We're heading north to Ocean Pond for the Labor Day Mud Bog. Trevor and I just stayed the day while the kids stayed overnight and went back on Sunday.

Friday, I made some subs and baked some cookies while the boys washed, loaded, strapped down, tightened, greased and admired their trucks.

Jordan was on our mind, as always, but we brought the next best thing with us.

OceanPondSept2012001.jpg

Ryan was supposed to meet us at the gas station at 7:30 am. At 7:44, I said "We're leaving. He knows how to get to Dunnellon, he should have been on time" :P

Nate was waiting for us in Dunnellon with his rig, so we pulled in to wait for Ryan, AGAIN.

OceanPondSept2012002.jpg

About 30 minutes later, we see him coming.

OceanPondSept2012004.jpg

It was a foggy morning, which made for less travel shots.

OceanPondSept2012005.jpg

By the time we arrived off the beaten path, it was clearing up nicely.

Someone will notice this detail....(Probably, ImDownWithDisney :) )

Nate just put a gooseneck hitch in his truck so he borrowed a friends trailer to see how it pulled the Swamp Donkey and his ATV's.

OceanPondSept2012007.jpg

OceanPondSept2012009.jpg

Bored yet? The good news is, we parked on the other side of the hole, so the scenery will vary slightly from my last trip. :))

OceanPondSept2012011.jpg

OceanPondSept2012009.jpg

Not only was Ryan late, but he still wasn't "truck ready"

OceanPondSept2012012.jpg

We'll start with some clean pics.

OceanPondSept2012017.jpg

OceanPondSept2012028.jpg

A friend of ours, also from Citrus County, built this buggy from the frame up.

OceanPondSept2012031.jpg

OceanPondSept2012033.jpg

The girls decided to take Ryan's Jeep for a ride. We didn't have high hopes for the Jeepster, as Ryan all but sank it, on their last trip to the pond. The motor had a slight knock. ::)

Our motto? Run it til she pukes.

With Allison driving, they made it over to the other corner and kept stalling it. Allison is new to the world of stick shift.

We're all yelling from shore:

Put in it FIRST!

Give it some gas!

It all fell on deaf ears. Ryan and Nate go to rescue them.

OceanPondSept2012042.jpg

They finally got her to give it some gas and off she went.....right for the mud...and there she stayed.

OceanPondSept2012048.jpg

This time, it wasn't her fault. The Jeep had taken her last breath.

RIP Tiny Jeep.

OceanPondSept2012061.jpg

Trevor and I drove the Yota over to rescue her this time.

My view out the back window.

OceanPondSept2012051.jpg

My view out the front.

OceanPondSept2012049.jpg

No big deal, Ryan still had the Amigo to play with, right?

Wrong.

The Amigo was having starter issues. Poor Ryan.

So, it was time to get the Donkey dirty.

OceanPondSept2012026.jpg

OceanPondSept2012027.jpg

OceanPondSept2012029.jpg

Yep, that'll do it!

OceanPondSept2012030.jpg

Photobucket seems to have a little 'hitch in its giddyup' tonight, so I'll leave you til later.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoa, hold on, I think I may have to rethink this whole mud thing. I think I may have found something I like about it.

Awesome!

Enjoying the TR! Thanks for sharing!

I want to do that one day. Minus the Daisey Dukes. My fat butt will have to wear regular shorts.

ETA: Questions.

1. So when the Jeep finally died, and was towed out, I guess that means an engine job?

2. How they hell do they get in those vehicles, ladders?

3. What kind of subs?

And another one. Will the goose neck be better for Nate's tranny?

The motor had a slight knock. ::)

Our motto? Run it til she pukes.

OceanPondSept2012030.jpg

Photobucket seems to have a little 'hitch in its giddyup' tonight, so I'll leave you til later.

LOL that's our motto too. Unfortunately we often get the same result as your Jeep. RIP Tiny Jeep.

I get the mudpit thing. More than that I like it. Count me in!

Now about that photobucket "hitch" that's tying up my TR more than Jason & Nicki ever could - the new team's cheer moms are all reading 50 shades of gray during practices. I may never be able to hear the word hitch again without thinking of that book. Their breath "hitches" so much I wanna buy the author an inhaler for the characters in her next book.

Wow...I feel honored...name dropped in a Stef TR :clint:

I bet that Nate is on the lookout for a deckover GN now. They sure do pull well. I had a 14k 28' dovetail, but I sold it when I got rid of my skid steer. :banghead:

Sorry to hear about the break up.....it is funny how things go sometimes....never know what the future holds. Meanwhile, Nate sure can pick em....thumbs up!

I was admiring the suspension set up on Nate's rig. It looks like a Superlift setup? It would appear to be very flexy with those coils and liberal use of heim joints. Although, those limited straps look short to really let it flex. I guess that rock crawling isn't too big down there where there are no rocks. It's all about flex up here. I have a 78 Chevy that is locked on both ends and sitting on 36's that is pretty fun, but it would sink down there.

That buggy looks wild! I bet that it comes close to floating with those tires.

Maybe some of you just enjoy my goofy humor and endless ramblings. If that's you, c'mon and enjoy the ride. Ask questions, post comments, tell me I'm whacked, it's all good.

Put me down on the enjoy your goofy humor and endless ramblings list.

Questions:

1. Where is Ocean Pond? This is a different mud hole than the last one, yes?

2. This one was already asked: What kind of sub did you make?

Some comments (per your request)- You are off to a great start here! Looking forward to more pics!

You are whacked (I am only saying that because you said to).

TCD

I understand our "dirty" lifestyle isn't what some of you would consider fun, but I know a couple of you "get it."

If you don't; no harm, no foul, move along, it won't hurt my feelings.

Mud.jpg

Whoa, hold on, I think I may have to rethink this whole mud thing.

I think I may have found something I like about it.

Hey guys! Sorry I'm so far behind. It's not like me to leave a report hanging.

In addition to Jordan coming and going and the "big break-up" Trevor thought he fractured a rib 3 weeks ago. Turned out to be just a pulled muscle, but guess who is taking up the slack at his job?

Yep, that would be me. :clint:

So my morning starts at 3:30 at the gym. Then home to change into "grass clothes" and then home to my maid outfit. (no, not a good kinky one, just shorts and a ratty t-shirt)

I planned on responding to any comments this morning, but FF had a hitch in it's giddy-up this morning too.

SO let's start with responses.....

1. So when the Jeep finally died, and was towed out, I guess that means an engine job?

2. How they hell do they get in those vehicles, ladders?

3. What kind of subs?

And another one. Will the goose neck be better for Nate's tranny?

1. Yes, the Jeep needs an engine rebuild

2. Climb, just using the tires and "oh sh*t" handles. (to see me get into Nate's is a comedy show in itself. Good thing I'm flexible)

4. Italian subs again. I was planning on grilling, but the boys requested more Italian subs.

I guess I can handle another mud bath! :)) I'm in!!

Happy to have you! Mud is good for the soul...and skin.

Oh the mud! My hubby would love it!

Believe it or not, everyone here would love it. It only takes your first big splatter of mud, to say "screw it" and carry on, no matter how dirty you get.

Thanks for joining in!

LOL that's our motto too. Unfortunately we often get the same result as your Jeep. RIP Tiny Jeep.

I get the mudpit thing. More than that I like it. Count me in!

Now about that photobucket "hitch" that's tying up my TR more than Jason & Nicki ever could - the new team's cheer moms are all reading 50 shades of gray during practices. I may never be able to hear the word hitch again without thinking of that book. Their breath "hitches" so much I wanna buy the author an inhaler for the characters in her next book.

Thanks for mourning the Tiny Jeep. ^_^

I have not read that book. It seems like either people loved it or hated it. Maybe one day I'll get to it. (Like I need any more dirty thoughts in my head)

I'm in. Looks like a great time!

Brent, glad to have you along. Seems like I haven't seen much of you lately.

Wow...I feel honored...name dropped in a Stef TR :clint:

I bet that Nate is on the lookout for a deckover GN now. They sure do pull well. I had a 14k 28' dovetail, but I sold it when I got rid of my skid steer. :banghead:

Sorry to hear about the break up.....it is funny how things go sometimes....never know what the future holds. Meanwhile, Nate sure can pick em....thumbs up!

I was admiring the suspension set up on Nate's rig. It looks like a Superlift setup? It would appear to be very flexy with those coils and liberal use of heim joints. Although, those limited straps look short to really let it flex. I guess that rock crawling isn't too big down there where there are no rocks. It's all about flex up here. I have a 78 Chevy that is locked on both ends and sitting on 36's that is pretty fun, but it would sink down there.

That buggy looks wild! I bet that it comes close to floating with those tires.

Yes, Nate is now looking at buying that trailer he towed. It's a 24k, 24 ' + 4 '

It worked great, and he's in love with it.

There is a nice little Superlift sticker on his center support, but it's just to confuse people. Nate & Trevor actually built everything from the frame down, including the axles.

The limited straps are to keep from exploding the drive shaft...for the 10th time. Too much angle on the driveshaft.

We do have some rock crawlers down here. In fact, Ryan's uncle has two Jeeps and a Truggy, but yes, that is a whole different animal. The uncle decided to try his hand at building a mud digger and didn't do so well. We told him to stick to rocks. :))

Nate's truck is spooled, front and rear with 44's. As long as you have a lot of wheel speed, you'd do fine in the mud!

The buggy is a work in progress. It goes pretty well, but Lincoln (the owner) said it doesn't steer worth a sh*t!

The rear end is a 28 to 1 planetary, he has no problem turning the tires, if he could get it to go in the same direction that he's steering it.

My redneck, southern country upbringing is more than ready for some mud.... now where did that come from?

Once a GRIT, always a GRIT.

I'm in..not the mud :) but enjoying your TR and admiring the totally mud covered truck. Nice even job on the side we see.

Happy to have you along for the ride. We'll try to keep you clean. ;)

Yay! More mud!! I miss those days up here in VA! :)

Yes Charity, more mud! I'm just happy you guys appreciate it.

Count me in!

You are in and accounted for!

Put me down on the enjoy your goofy humor and endless ramblings list.

Questions:

1. Where is Ocean Pond? This is a different mud hole than the last one, yes?

2. This one was already asked: What kind of sub did you make?

Some comments (per your request)- You are off to a great start here! Looking forward to more pics!

You are whacked (I am only saying that because you said to).

TCD

Nope, same hole. Ocean Pond in Old Town/Chiefland, just a different side of the hole. I do have another pic coming up that will show you a prettier side of Ocean Pond.

Thanks for following directions, I've been called much worse. ^_^

Nothing wrong with a little lot of mud.

Thanks Jeff, and I agree!

Whoa, hold on, I think I may have to rethink this whole mud thing.

I think I may have found something I like about it.

See Lou, ya never know what you'll find underneath all that mud.

My boys would be all over this. Looks like a lot of fun!

Yes, your boys would love it, the only problem is, it's like a drug, they will want to do it again and again and again......

Thanks for reading along!

Mud is excellent for the skin.. (thus the hot chicks)

Good for Nate, life is to short to NOT be happy

It's been forever Steph! I have missed you!!

what kind of subs again? i'm starving..

JUDY!! So happy to see you!

We had a rough week or so, but you're so right, life is short. Sometimes it's easier to stay in a not-so happy relationship because it's a comfort zone. Only when you escape and get happy again, do you realize that.

I'm in!! I consider myself a "girly" girl...but I gotta say, this mud thing looks like fun!!! As long as I don't have to wash the truck afterwards, that is. :rofl3:

That's where I draw the line Misty! I will do all I can to help the trucks get dirty, but the boys are on their own when it comes to cleaning them. It takes about 3 whole days to get them looking right again.

You would have a blast. I've seen some of the girliest girls dive right in and enjoy every minute of it.

Ok folks, time for me to make some dinner and shower my swamp a$$. I will return with an update when I get back.

Thanks to all following! :heartsmiley:

Nope, same hole. Ocean Pond in Old Town/Chiefland, just a different side of the hole. I do have another pic coming up that will show you a prettier side of Ocean Pond.

Oh, then I wish I had known. The TCD express rolled through that area on Saturday morning on our way to Tallahassee, and then again on Sunday on the way home. I could have tried driving my Excursion in the mud.

TCD

Yes, Nate is now looking at buying that trailer he towed. It's a 24k, 24 ' + 4 '

It worked great, and he's in love with it.

There is a nice little Superlift sticker on his center support, but it's just to confuse people. Nate & Trevor actually built everything from the frame down, including the axles.

The limited straps are to keep from exploding the drive shaft...for the 10th time. Too much angle on the driveshaft.

We do have some rock crawlers down here. In fact, Ryan's uncle has two Jeeps and a Truggy, but yes, that is a whole different animal. The uncle decided to try his hand at building a mud digger and didn't do so well. We told him to stick to rocks. :))

Nate's truck is spooled, front and rear with 44's. As long as you have a lot of wheel speed, you'd do fine in the mud!

The buggy is a work in progress. It goes pretty well, but Lincoln (the owner) said it doesn't steer worth a sh*t!

The rear end is a 28 to 1 planetary, he has no problem turning the tires, if he could get it to go in the same direction that he's steering it.

:techno: :techno: :techno: :techno: :techno: :techno:

Do you KNOW what the hell that means or did you get the boys to talk dirty in Geareeze?

I'll stick with Accounting......

Well guys, photobucket is still acting wonky, so until they resolve their issues, we have to wait on an update.

To hold you crazies over until then, I have a music video for you. Every good story should have music, right?

Anyone ever heard of The LACS? That's an acronym for Loud A$$ Crackers. They are kind of a mix of country & rap. Think Colt Ford, yet, way less famous.

Pretty great CD, though.

I have taken this song and made a DVD to send to Jordan with pics to match the lyrics. It came out really good, if I do say so myself. I started it with another one of their songs "Country Road" and included all of his homecoming pics.

If I can find a way to post it, I will.

Enjoy, get your groove on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnSEQx9wkvE

I could have tried driving my Excursion in the mud.

TCD

:lmao1: I would have paid your admission just to see that!

I would have probably needed to bum a couple bucks off you later, for bail, when Mrs TCD found out what you did.

Do you KNOW what the hell that means or did you get the boys to talk dirty in Geareeze?

Everyone has their thing. I have eaten, slept and breathed Geareeze for 25 years. As a matter of fact we had an hour long "gear lesson" on the ride home. Don't be jealous, I'm just a lucky girl. :))