New RV dinette cushions (and sofa)

One of my projects this summer was to replace our dinette cushions and sofa in the motorhome with new ones. Ours were original to the motorhome, making them 23 years old. The cushions were pretty well flattened, and they're not really our style, being 1980s mauve. Also, our motorhome had a funky, old, musty smell. We couldn't identify what it was...until we took out the couch and dinette cushions, and then, voila!, no more smell. I guess foam wasn't meant to hold up for 23 years.

This is a photo of what we started with couch-wise (ignoring the child and dogs, who are in nearly every photo I take.) The cushions are attached to the base, and they were flat in the center...we were sitting on springs and wood.

DSC_2810edit.jpg

It's a jackknife sofa, and I looked into taking it apart and replacing the foam and fabric. That seemed rather daunting, and when I priced it out, it was expensive, too. In the end, we found a futon that fit the space perfectly, so we bolted that to the floor instead. The beauty of it is that the cushion covers unzip, so I can easily add more foam, which I'm sure will be necessary in time, as it isn't high-end furniture! Here's the new sofa. If it looks a little pink here, that's only due to the lighting...it's chocolate brown!

DSC_2917edit.jpg

The dinette cushions were the same fabric as the couch on one side and tan vinyl on the other side. They were a bit too small for the space, having been crushed down over the years, so we always had wood cutting into our backs and the backs of our knees during dinner. I had new foam cut to size, then I wrapped the foam in dacron, and I sewed some new covers. I made them with a long velcro closure on one edge, so they can be easily removed for washing. I love the new fabric! I pulled a tutorial off the internet for making a bench cushion and went from there, figuring out the details as I went along. Here's the "new" dinette.

DSC_2916edit.jpg

We've had this motorhome for 3 years now, and it's finally starting to feel like it's ours. We did a lot of work on it this summer, and I'm really looking forward to taking it out a bit this fall before our Florida trip. We're planning to hit a few campgrounds here in MI in September and October.

Great Job, love the futon, it looks like it was made for the MH. Love the cushions. I hope that when I need mine to be covered, I can find someone as talented as you, because I can't sew. When I was in school and took my first sewing class I had to make a apron, of course I am dating myself, because we had to do everything by hand. Well I was doing really well, and I was near the end of it, the bell rang and I went to get up and had sewed it to my skirt, missed most of my next class because I had to rip everything out. I was so happy that we moved that year, because the next project was our graudation dress and I had nighmares of walking down the isle and it falling off as I walked down.

Oh well enough Lornaisms as Doodle calls them.

Job well done.

Nice

Thanks!

Great job!!! Love that dinette fabric!

Thanks, Kelly! I searched long and hard for fabric online, and my daughter and I had many arguments discussions about what we should get.(dh didn't care.) In the end, we were walking through Walmart, decided to take a quick trip to the fabric section, and as soon as we saw that fabric, we knew it was the one! And it was actually nothing like what we were thinking we wanted!

Wow - really nicely done, Sommer!

Thanks, Monique!

You did a fantastic job! I love the dinette fabric too!

Thanks, Cherie!

Great Job, love the futon, it looks like it was made for the MH. Love the cushions. I hope that when I need mine to be covered, I can find someone as talented as you, because I can't sew. When I was in school and took my first sewing class I had to make a apron, of course I am dating myself, because we had to do everything by hand. Well I was doing really well, and I was near the end of it, the bell rang and I went to get up and had sewed it to my skirt, missed most of my next class because I had to rip everything out. I was so happy that we moved that year, because the next project was our graudation dress and I had nighmares of walking down the isle and it falling off as I walked down.

Oh well enough Lornaisms as Doodle calls them.

Job well done.

Thanks, Lorna! I love your Lornaisms! The futon was actually another Walmart find, and it fit the space exactly....definitely meant to be and hundreds of dollars cheaper than a redo of the old one. I have to admit to still accidentally sewing things to myself....I am really bad at sewing things by hand.....it's all crooked stitches with awkward gaps between them. If I ever had to sew a piece of clothing by hand, it would not be pretty (or functional!)

Awesome job! Extreme Makeover Motorhome Edition!

Thanks, Dave! We did quite a few projects on it over the summer, so it really was starting to feel like that!

Looks good

Thank you!

Very satisfying. Doing a job yourself and it came out looking great

Thanks! We do a lot of DIY here, and it really is satisfying.

Looks great!

Thanks, Annie!

You did a great job! Looks wonderful!

Thanks, Nancy!

Great job!

Thanks, Gwen!

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful job. We need to do something to our old cushions and sofa too but we hate to put money into it if and when we ever get a newer one. The idea of the futon for the sofa is something I might want to try. Wish I was talented like you are. Good work. :partythree:

Beautiful job. We need to do something to our old cushions and sofa too but we hate to put money into it if and when we ever get a newer one. The idea of the futon for the sofa is something I might want to try. Wish I was talented like you are. Good work. :partythree:

Thanks, Judy! I was the same way, not wanting to put a bunch of $$ into ours when it's so old already. I love that we can take the futon out and put the old couch back in if we decide to sell/scrap. We're planning to keep this one 'til it dies, but you never know, so we stored the old sofa and dinette cushions in the garage just in case.

Looks great! I sure wish I had paid attention in sewing class! That's one of things I thought I would never need later in life. LOL

Yeah, that year I spent sewing in 4H when I was in middle school has paid off huge over the past few years! I didn't sew a thing between ages 12 and 40, but when I started up again, it all came right back. It's actually not hard (at least the stuff I do), you just have to get in there and try and be ready to rip it apart if it's wrong :)

Great job!

Thanks, Marty!