It sure would be nice if such a thing existed.

And, I think it would keep the campground full.

But, the Fort is run by idiots.

Anyone trying to book a trip during a busy time knows how it goes- you have to fool around with all kinds of different date combinations to get the dates you want. There are sites available, but their system doesn't let you book the sites for shorter stays. It is clear that for whatever reasons, they do not let guests book sites even when there are sites available.

Do they ever stop to think how many people give up and make other plans?

And how much business they lose because of it?

Idiots.

TCD

Plus you have the fact that on holiday weekends, people "camp out" sites that they want for other people that have been assigned. (Yes, Lorna and I had this happen once again to us at Labor Day) More than likely, they will bump you up to an available site in another section (premium or preferred if you are in full for example). So, the way they have the system right now with a site assigner doing the sites "five days earlier" or so, there is no way a computer system can accommodate that much of human error on an hourly basis. Computers have limitations too you know. :rofl2:

One more thing I meant to say . . .

Lately, independent travel agents have been able to reserve sites when the Disney website and phone systems say there are no sites available.

This has led many people, including a lot of the members of this board, to use travel agents to make their Fort reservations.

Disney pays these travel agents a commission. I have heard it's $10 for each day of a campsite booking.

That's expensive.

Instead of just opening up reservations to whoever wants to make them, Disney plays their little games. And ends up paying a lot of commissions that they could have saved by letting folks make their own reservations.

How does that make sense?

Idiots.

TCD

Not to mention that if Disney would let us pick our site when we book online, they would be able to cut out the "site assigner". If the state parks and Corps of Engineers can do it, certainly Disney can.

edited to add:

I am very thankful for our Travel Agent fiends. Unfortunately, their job is created because Disney is so behind the times.

Edited by Live4FW

This has led many people, including a lot of the members of this board, to use travel agents to make their Fort reservations.

Disney pays these travel agents a commission. I have heard it's $10 for each day of a campsite booking.

Only if your site is $100 a nite.

Disney Travel Co pays the booking agency 10% of your package, room, or dining plan. Much less for tickets, if anything. Agents who aren't working for themselves typically have a 50/50 split with the agency owner. That means, if you book a partial site for $60, the commission would be $6 a night for an independant agency owner or $3 a night for an affliated agent.

Different travel providers may pay more or less. The highest I've heard lately is 16% but that particular company doesn't handle disney. That's often why some TA's may push certain wholesalers or the higher dollar pckgs which might not always be the best deal.

I don't understand why Disney can't come up with a reservation system like PA has for their state parks. When you make your reservation online, you put in your dates and size of your trailer, it comes up with available sites and you pick your site. When your check in, you already know your site.

I hate to say it, but that system would cut availability at the Fort significantly, because there would be lots of empty sites for single nights. Family A would book 847 for Fri - Sunday, and Family B would book 847 for Tuesday - Saturday. That leaves 847 empty Sunday and Monday night, whereas if family B were placed on 848 for Tuesday - Saturday, then 847 would be available.for extra nights.

Actually the best system for campgrounds that stay pretty full, is for folks to be able to just pick whatever is empty in their level when they arrive and it's available as long as they stay.

I don't understand why Disney can't come up with a reservation system like PA has for their state parks. When you make your reservation online, you put in your dates and size of your trailer, it comes up with available sites and you pick your site. When your check in, you already know your site.

To quote Peter Griffin, that would be "freakin' sweet!"

I was told the system they use is much like a hotel reservation system and that is why sites are assigned no more than 5 days out. That way if you decide to extend there is normally not a problem unless the site classification you are in is sold out. If they reserved by site number it would be the mess Carol mentioned.

Fair enough.

I'd be happy to be able to drive through, find an empty site and stake my claim. :)

:thumbsup1: now that would be sweet!