DaveInTN Went To The Smokies And All You Get Is This Stupid Trip Report

If Jim is advising you on anything you need to reassess your gameplan. Although I have to admit, the man pointed us to a great burger.

I definitely agree (and so does Gage!) about the burger!!

I do what I can to make America a better place for everyone.

And you do a fine, fine job!

Loving the pics of the girls having fun!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, we made it back home a couple hours ago, got the trailer unloaded, blew the water out of the lines and added pink stuff to the traps in case we get a freeze before Christmas, and I'm finally sit

Good morning from our creek.

And stay tuned tomorrow. I have some interesting Russian beer to try. Different than the ones I've had before. You may get some drunk posting!

Ok...time to move on again. When we last left off, the kids were enjoying the bouncy houses. Those are always fun, and Anna enjoyed the fact that I wouldn't go in to get her. And when I told her it was time to get out, she simply said no. She wouldn't come to me. And I didn't want to go in to her. She knew she had me. But she didn't count on big sister Emma grabbing her for me.

She wasn't too pleased.

But she got over it. There was more fun to be had.

Like basketball.

DSCN0846.JPG

A tricycle race course.

DSCN0847.JPG

DSCN0848.JPG

DSCN0849.JPG

There was more fun on the Swing of Pain.

DSCN0852.JPG

And the coup de grace....the infamous Corn Box.

DSCN0863.JPG

Yes...it is essentially a sandbox filled with corn.

Lots, and lots, of corn.

DSCN0864.JPG

DSCN0865.JPG

DSCN0866.JPG

DSCN0867.JPG

The kids like the Corn Box. And I don't blame them. But wow....you know how when you take your kids to the beach, they get sand everywhere? In every crevice of their bodies? Sand in their butt crack, sand in their belly button, sand in their ears? Well corn is very similar, only much much larger. Anna had corn in places I didn't know existed. And now, so does my van. I hadn't even gotten all the corn removed from the van from last year's Corn Box experience, and now there is more. I swear if I were to water the inside of my van occasionally, I'd be able to grow my own corn in there, like a big blue greenhouse. The same is probably true of Anna's butt. If I bring a corn dish to the next Grand Gathering, I'd think twice about trying it. Just sayin.

After our SOD, SOP, Bouncy Thingy, Trike Racing and Corn Boxing, we decided we had had enough and headed to the next stop on our morning whirlwind....

DSCN0868.JPG

Like most Walmarts, this one was great for people watching. Sorry...no pics. But you've been to Walmart. You know what they look like.

While inside the store, I got a text from ImDownWithDisney. He was in the area and wanted to stop by the campground. We made plans for that afternoon...and I told him I'd text him when we got back. We were just about done at Walmart, and had just one stop to make on the way back to the Jellystone. There was a fall festival going on in Cosby, TN that we had stopped at the year before. We knew from that experience that there was a corn dog vendor there. And that was our plan for lunch.

This is a great little community festival. Lots of nice craft tents, old cars, antique tractors, live music and food vendors.

This was pretty cool.

DSCN0869.JPG

They had a couple of Farmall Super C tractors on display. I spent many an hour on my Dad's old Farmall A on the farm growing up.

DSCN0870.JPG

DSCN0871.JPG

DSCN0872.JPG

DSCN0873.JPG

I wish they had had a Super A on display so I could show my girls. The A was a pretty cool tractor. Unlike the C, the Super A was a high clearance tractor with an offset body designed for vegetable cultivating. Because of the offset body, the operator could easily see the vegetable rows beneath allowing good visibility for working the soil and weeding without wiping out the vegetable plants.

Here is a pic of a Super A I found online.

Farmall%20Super%20A.jpg

I'd love to own one of those some day.

Anyways, moving along in the festival. Here are some of the cars.

DSCN0874.JPG

Gwen loves old trucks.

DSCN0875.JPG

There was also someone there making corn meal with this nifty contraption.

DSCN0878.JPG

We offered to shake Anna upside down over the hopper. They could have filled a 20 pound sack. But they declined.

Next we made our way over the food vendors and got us some lunch. I got a fistful of corn dogs, some chicken tenders and some fries. We ate like greasy little Kings!

And then, we had one of those horrifying moments that happens now and then when you are too engrossed in your meal. We realized we had forgotten to take pictures.

Fortunately, INC still had one bite left of her corn dog.

DSCN0877.JPG

Yum. That's some awesome pood forn right there, isn't it?? :faceplant2:

After we ate, Izzy wanted some kettle corn and some of the girls wanted cotton candy. So we hit those stands, and then we left to get back to the campground. I texted IDWD to let him know we were on our way back, and off we went.

Coming up...a Fiend visit. And some Candy Bar Bingo.

Awesome! More great pictures of one of the most beautiful families I know. I love their smiles. I'm sure you & INC were smiling a lot too. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

oh okay, I'll admit it, the dolly pops and SOP made me :rofl2:. So did INC's corndog eulogy. :thumbsup1:

Awesome update Dave!

Love the corn kernel box. And you're spot on about the kernels getting everywhere.

The tractor pictures are great, and I'm not sure why, but makes me a little sad.

The picture of the "butt" (as my kids call them) of the corndog is classic. Well done!

Fortunately, INC still had one bite left of her corn dog.

DSCN0877.JPG

Yum. That's some awesome pood forn right there, isn't it?? :faceplant2:

No comment but my mind be a wandering.....just saying :clint:

Great report - looks like a great time. We are itching to get over to those parts some time but fall is always a bad time for us with marching band.

I am a bit behind in responding to your comments...so will try to catch up now.

I have nothing else Dave.

Nothing i can actually get away with anyway.

Love the SOD. They have one at the apple orchard near here and it is very quick. I love watching the kids shoot down that thing.

I also love watching the kids shoot down it. This year, I did not participate. I was fine with that.

Like the wedding budget idea gives them something to work with, pray for scholarships and grants for school.

My budget.....

:pope:

Finally caught up. Love the girls on the swing. They are all beautiful in different ways.

Being from upstate NY, I miss the smell of the apple markets. You are correct, there is nothing like them when they're fresh.

Enjoyed the report!

We are down to our last 2 apples from the farm. I will really miss them....best apples I've had in a long time. As Jack said to Kate..."We have to go back, Kate. We have to go back!"

Anyone get the reference??

I do what I can to make America a better place for everyone.

We appreciate it. Really, we do.

As a mother of 3 boys, I love seeing pictures of your 5 girls having fun together. Looks like they had a blast.

They did ! Of course, I don't show the pictures of when they are fighting. :rofl3:

Thank you for the SOP photos.

One of those should be your Christmas card for sure. Is Anna making a duck face in the first group one? If so, that's the one!

Kudos to the designer of that playground.

TCD

I sure hope that isn't a duck face. She'd be on the first plane back to Russia.

I love the pics of the girls on the slide and the videos of the Swing of Death! Stella is growing like a weed! Maybe it's the pictures, but she looks 6 inches taller since we saw her in the Spring.

She is growing fast. I don't think she's put on 6 inches...but it's been a lot.

I definitely agree (and so does Gage!) about the burger!!

I want another one of those mushroom swiss burgers, followed by another apple. And I want it now.

Awesome! More great pictures of one of the most beautiful families I know. I love their smiles. I'm sure you & INC were smiling a lot too. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

oh okay, I'll admit it, the dolly pops and SOP made me :rofl2:. So did INC's corndog eulogy. :thumbsup1:

Thanks Pam! :jumpforjoy

Awesome update Dave!

Love the corn kernel box. And you're spot on about the kernels getting everywhere.

The tractor pictures are great, and I'm not sure why, but makes me a little sad.

The picture of the "butt" (as my kids call them) of the corndog is classic. Well done!

The butt. LOL!

Love the tricycle races, we had those same trikes when my wife did home daycare let me tell you between the daycare kids and our boys they wore the wheels off of them!!!!!!!!!!!

We have one of those trikes at home. It gets a lot of use! I bet we've had it for 12 years or more.

This is a great report for sure.

But, I do have one small complaint.

I would have liked at least one photo of Dave on the SOD or SOP or on a trike, or even in the corn box. Something.

TCD

You will see no pics of me from this trip on anything remotely dangerous. My shoulder wouldn't let me. Well, there was one risk I took. There are no pics unfortunately, as we couldn't take pictures and risk our lives simultaneously, but I'll discuss it in an upcoming post.

I have a tricycle like those (ok let me correct that my kids have a tricycle like that). They are built like tanks.

Right on. Like I mentioned above, we've had ours for at least 12 years. It's as good as new. Throw a little air in the tires now and then and that's that.

Great update Dave.

I would be all over those tricycles!

No planking in the corn for Gwen?

There was a little planking on this trip, but I don't think anyone wanted to plant their face in the corn. No telling who or what has been in there. :rofl3:

No comment but my mind be a wandering.....just saying :clint:

Great report - looks like a great time. We are itching to get over to those parts some time but fall is always a bad time for us with marching band.

Get your mind out of the gutter Scot. :rofl2:

Are you thinking I could turn it into ethanol? There was probably enough in Anna's butt crack to power my van to the Fort and half way home again.

Hmmm, so which are you going to choose, plasma (creamed) or gas?

I thought we were accountants not scientist?

I guess we could do a cost analysis and determine a ROI.

Fail on the no pics.

Pics or it didn't happen.

TCD

Stay tuned. I'm sure you will agree a waiver to that rule is warranted. I don't think you would willingly put Anna's life in jeopardy.

Great report Dave. I'm not sure if I missed something but is the SOD the same inside as out? That looks like it would hurt lol.

No...they have a smoother surface laid down along the part you slide on. Makes it very fast, but doesn't bruise your biscuits, as my kids would say.