The Other Fort: Another MD Camping Adventure

Thanks for sharing!

James Island County Park is dry too. However, I have noted there is A LOT of beer cans/bottles in the recycling bins. Campers are an amazing group I tell ya. To be dedicated recyclers and bring in empty can/bottles to the park. Amazing.

I guess that is a very easy way to evict loud obnoxious folks that don't conceal thier stash well.

I took great care to make sure my recyclables were in a sound proof box, and made sure they were aluminum, as to not bother the rangers with the clinking sound sometimes made by empty glass bottles.

Following up on what Genia said, as far as I know all Florida State Parks ban alcohol, even in the camping section.

But, the recycling bins are always full of beer bottles and cans.

I know of folks who have brought alcohol to the other Fort without incident.

But, then there were these folks:

http://www.fortfiend...ze/#entry162032

TCD

There's a photo kicking around somewhere from the CG of a squirrel upside down emptying the last remnants from a can. Pretty funny.

Adding this one to the "bucket list" of campgrounds we want to see. Kinda bummed its a dry park although the MD state parks here are supposed to be dry too but it doesn't seem to stop anyone. :rofl3:

Can't wait to read more.

Doesn't seem to stop anyone here either. It does force discretion, and easily eliminates jerks!

Going to the other Fort after our first Fort visit was a great twofer trip. One I am anxious to do again. I completely lucked out with the reservations and also got a great water front site. I love that they post photos of the site so you can see it first.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

We did NYE a few years ago on a twofer, went a few days to Tropical Palms, went home to do laundry, and continued back to FDP for a few days.

I am looking forward to more of this TR. We don't live far from either fort. We havn't camped at this park yet.

It's really a great park, close to home, and the price is right. I think it was $35 per night.

What a beautiful park... I love the shot of your camp site looking in.... Another on the list to do... someday...

The site was pretty deep, at one point we could fit 4 vehicles, the camper and still had a huge open area.

I think Josie and my Sanford might like a date, unless you're a Gator like TCD. :) Don't worry TCD, he can still play tether ball with Rocky.

80BD0C34-EA1F-47C1-8E85-27E4B7E99FC3-1002-0000009098EB16B6.jpg

What a pretty campground!

All the campgrounds on Lake Lanier are dry. I use the red wine solo cup method. The really funny thing is that if we're there and sitting on our boat that is beached at the site, we can drink on the boat. But don't step off. You can also drink in the water. But don't swim to shore. In all honesty though, I think they don't want the liability around water, and it's an easy way to kick people out.

Josie's pretty congenial, just likes to wrestle a lot, she's only 10 months or so. She's not so much a Gator as she is a USF Bull, but our family supports all of the Florida teams, except Miami.

The spot where we were had no swimming, as it was shallow, lots of rocks and barnacles, and wicked currents.

Great start. Looking forward to more.

I do need to keep telling myself that MD does not mean Maryland though and you did not go camping at a Fort there.

Now let us all remember a bit a of our scripture please....

Water into wine was the first miracle.

When I first got here, they kept refering to me as MD, and I didn't know it was me they were referring to. I'm slow children at play to be sure!

That's true. I always say, Jesus invented the beer run at Cana! Saviour indeed!

So what did you listen to on Day 2 MD?

I'm getting there!

I'm late, but I'm in!

I've never been to the other Fort. The times I want to go (summer when we can bring the boat) has to be booked so far in advance. With our businesses it's impossible to know if we can get away at that time. <_<

I actually thought about you yesterday when Trevor came out in the goofiest most attractive camping outfit I've seen since you're high water PJ pants. Of course, I took a picture.

He did look at me funny when I said "Hold still, I need to take your picture for MD" ^-^

Let me know if you want to coordinate a trip, I can reserve with the extra month as I'm a resident.

As far as the pants, I didn't measure when I cut, I just eyeballed it, no hem. Figured Who'd ever see'em. Misjudged that one a bit!

But I don't wear Mom jeans like TCD! Where are you going to post that pic? How does he have an outfit you haven't seen?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this is one reason for our stash of Solo Cups and koozies.

In case anyone is interested, those Disney refillable mugs hold exactly one 12 oz beer. At least that's what I've heard. I wouldn't know from personal experience. TCD

Day Two:

Music: Greensky, k.d.lang, Boz Scaggs, BBS

Drink: Nothing, just some empty cans!

Smell: CB Hash, low tide and campfire

Up at the crack.

Dog’s gotta rock a feedbag and water the grass.

20121109_074022.jpg

We were facing west, so the sun rises behind us.

We were so well shaded, it still looked a little like night in the site, but look at the trees across the water.

A full-on beautiful day is heading our way!

20121109_074039.jpg

Recently , we started making a fire in the morning.

It’s nice to sip coffee and start the day in the feeling of serenity that a good fire seems to create.

Actually, I don’t drink coffee.

Big Sister does.

Here she is fireside.

No TE run at this Fort, so she brought a Keurig with her.

20121109_080953.jpg

Shortly after this shot, she got a call from home.

My BIL wants to know where the coffee machine is.

An hour later, my nephew called.

What happened to the coffee maker?

We’re on a bit of a budget, and since I went to Walmart Neighborhood market, we had to replace Dr. Pepper with the house brand.

Here’s me sans hi-water PJ’s enjoying a fresh cup of Diet Dr. Thunder!

20121109_081026.jpg

The foam is sort of light blue, couldn’t be the chemicals...it has 23 natural flavors!

Now, judging by the order that this was taken, I must have dashed off to the mens and snapped this on the way back to the site.

20121109_085546.jpg

Now, a bit about our set-up.

We camp in a pop-up.

On the right side of the door is a card table that holds the dog leash, back up water, air pump… sort of like the junk drawer, but bigger.

When Ben’s with us, it’s where the griddle goes.

Butted up against the wheel on the right side of the door is a mud tray where all the shoes and flip-flops collect.

Next is the cooktop from the camper, that also mounts outside.

I always cook outside, in an effort to preserve the canvas and plastic windows inside.

By the way, the Corned Beef Hash returned to the menu.

We ate it fireside loaded down with hot sauce.

20121109_091023.jpg

The cooler lives under the cooktop.

Then next to that, a table that adjusts to about belly-button height.

It has all my cooking gear and music rig.

That’s where it all starts.

I’m a bit of a music snob.

Actually, pretty much an opinionated douchebag where music is concerned.

I plan the music out for each trip.

Meticulously!

I try to top load my camping music with lots of stringed instruments…acoustic guitars, banjos, mandolins…

I also tend to go back to real rootsy music when camping especially reggae and classic rock.

I find electronic music and hip hop an intrusion.

And before you get on your sounds of nature soapbox, don’t.

I love nature too.

There’s a reason every movie has a soundtrack, and a reason Disney has sound to every part of the property!

I camp with music…leave me alone!

Professionally, I travel with the finest in lights and sound.

But when I camp, I go old school, albeit digitally, it’s old school…

Radio.jpg

That’s the Little Tykes boombox.

It was given to my son when he was a baby by another DJ friend of mine.

It's now our camping sounsystem.

We tried to replace it, but the new one lasted 2 trips.

Actually threw it away over 4th of July at FW.

This one has been rained on 3 or 4 times, stays out at night, been fondled by squirrels and raccoons.

I have a little $30 mp3 player that I load up with my program and plug it into the mic/aux jack and we’re off!

Since I’m continually disgusted with the music on the charts, I’m forced to search out new music.

So, Dave, here you go.

My newest discovery is a group called Greensky Bluegrass.

I took an album by them called Five Interstates.

Also just picked up an album called Handguns by them.

I also was test driving some Blackberry Smoke, as referred by some fiends, Stef and Genia.

Plus, I knew I had to dig them once I saw this image!

BBS.jpg

The rest of the playlist was based on things that would appeal to the rest of the group, provided it fit my criteria.

See? Douchebag!

Here’s some shots of the back of our site.

Raise your hand if you see the kayak in the distance!

20121109_104518.jpg

20121109_104532.jpg

After the shower, I again assume the position, see? No kids yet!

Notice the shirt!

20121109_125202.jpg

After lunch, my other sister showed up…with a trunk full of tent and Toasted Head.

Our only bear sighting!

After hooking up the tent, the Big Sisters and I went for a bike ride.

Came upon this sight!

20121109_145733.jpg

Here’s the Sisters! There’s another one, but she didn’t camp with us.

20121109_145755.jpg

We were exercising.

What were we thinking?

A sign!

20121109_150753.jpg

And a double scoop.

Chocolate on top, Peanut Butter on the bottom. Was melting so I had to eat some before I got the shot!

20121109_150800.jpg

Now, a brief interlude, over the past few years, we noticed that there was a recurring sound each time we camped on this particular weekend.

All day and all night, the distinctive sound of a Volkswagen.

On our two-wheel looping adventure, I captured some of these images.

20121109_151351.jpg

20121109_151553.jpg

20121109_152056.jpg

And even broken hybrid ones!

20121109_152702.jpg

It turns out that they have their rally the same weekend every year.

I’m sure they took pictures of our group.

I’m sure their forum has pictures of a bunch of Catholics sneaking beer in the woods!

Or driving their RV’s off limits!

20121109_151756.jpg

You oughta see the chunks of bark chewed out of the big limbs.

Back to the campsite, the phone ran out of juice, so no dinner pics.

But, afterwards I was able to snap this shot of the sun heading out for the night.

I think it’s a pretty cool shot.

20121109_181453.jpg

Then, all hell breaks loose.

MetalWife shows up with the kids.

We set-up a small tent for the kids to play in.

They pretend they’re camping, while they’re camping.

It’s so surreal.

20121109_215514.jpg

After some quality fire time, it was time to turn in.

John 2 was spending some quality time with Aunt Big Sister.

Here she is reading a 3-D reptile book with him.

20121109_222209.jpg

I couldn’t resist.

Before long, I was fast asleep.

About 2am. I awake from a sound sleep.

Someone’s in my cooler.

Crap, even worse, in my trash.

I don’t have a picture of it, but I’ll set the table.

A 4 D-Battery Maglite in my left hand, a miniature patio mat broom in my right.

I dashed out of the camper in nothing but underwear and flip-flops.

I chased a raccoon out of my trash, up a tree.

And he was pissed.

So there I am, shining a light with one hand, whilst cleaning up trash with the other, trying to keep the raccoons at bay.

Then, the big dilemma.

I can’t leave the trash there to go get dressed, them suckers were about to pounce.

I couldn’t take the trash into the camper. Josie was ready to pounce.

So, off to the dumpster to get rid of the bag of garbage.

I tip toe to the dumpster.

Drop my load.

Then I hear a familiar sound.

A distinctive sound.

A Volkswagen.

Then, headlights.

And there I am.

Nothing but a big Maglite, flip-flops, and Flintstones boxers shining in the spotlight in the middle of a dirt road.

Nothing but a big Maglite, flip-flops, and Flintstones boxers shining in the spotlight in the middle of a dirt road.

I would "feel " for you but my arms are holding my sides and the tears make it blurry... :rofl2: x 1000 Make it stop my sides hurt...

Here’s the Sisters! There’s another one, but she didn’t camp with us.

20121109_145755.jpg

We were exercising.

What were we thinking?

A sign!

20121109_150753.jpg

And a double scoop.

Chocolate on top, Peanut Butter on the bottom. Was melting so I had to eat some before I got the shot!

20121109_150800.jpg

I am going to start exercising with you and your sisters.

Though I will have to change my bottom ice cream flavor. Can't stand peanut butter.

:lmao1: Nice update!

As for Trev's camping outfit, it involved shorts, one of his work sweatshirts (with a grease stain on the front) black ankle socks, and black sandals. I've seen each of these things separate, just not as an ensemble. It will be in my TR whenever I can get it started.

I would love to coordinate a camping trip when the temps warm up! I will even spring for the McDonald's ice tea to hide the evidence quench our thirsts.

Without falling into the TMI category: When Nate was young we always bought store brand drinks. No matter what store (walmart, winn dixie, or publix) and no matter what flavor, it always made my stomach weird and turned "everything" blue, if you catch my drift.

WTF do they make this stuff with?!

I love that you listened to BBS!! I have that humping horse t-shirt. Who can't love a band that has that for a logo? I'm actually going to see them again on Thursday in Gainesville!

Flintstone boxers? Classic!!

Hilarious update, MD!

Great Job.

Regarding Dr. Thunder . . . TCD Twin #1 is a huge fan of Dr. Pepper. She claims that it is far superior to Mr. Pibb. One day, I called her on it. I purchased Dr. Peppper, Mr. Pibb, Dr. Thunder and Dr. Publix (love that name) and we did a blind taste test. To my surprise, she was able to pick out the Dr. Pepper. To her surprise, she liked Dr. Publix the best.

Regarding the Raccoons . . . the last time we camped at Ft. Desoto, there were raccoons everywhere. We went out for a bike ride in the afternoon and came back to our site to find it being ransacked by a gang of them. And we had a hard time chasing them away. They were hissing and growling at us. That event is probably the major reason we haven't been back. One raccoon at night we could probably handle. Although, with all due respect, I think I would rather see raccoons than you in your Fred and Barney boxers. No offense.

I love the fact that your sisters came to the campground. Aunts and uncles are awesome!

I love the sunset photo!

And, last, but not least, thanks for the tour of your camping set up. That Little Tikes boom box is the best!

TCD

Side note with the raccoon. We hate raccoon. They have invested the larger barn and have latrines on top of boxes with items I would have wanted to use again - like Christmas decorations. We've trapped and 4 so far and there are more. They mess with the cats, destroy equipment and pretty darn nasty. We really hate raccoon.

While walking around the Other Fort over by the pet loop, we went past a garbage container. Out popped a huge raccoon, hissing and spitting at us. Husband is like, 'no way, we are on vacation, I am not dealing with that coon with an attitude'. He stared the coon down and it finally jumped down and went off into someone's campsite. Sorry about that person with a really nice pop up and cool music playing, hope the coon just kept going. We made sure there was nothing outside that would attract those little buggers.

We really hate raccoon.

:lmao1: Nice update!

As for Trev's camping outfit, it involved shorts, one of his work sweatshirts (with a grease stain on the front) black ankle socks, and black sandals. I've seen each of these things separate, just not as an ensemble. It will be in my TR whenever I can get it started.

I would love to coordinate a camping trip when the temps warm up! I will even spring for the McDonald's ice tea to hide the evidence quench our thirsts.

Without falling into the TMI category: When Nate was young we always bought store brand drinks. No matter what store (walmart, winn dixie, or publix) and no matter what flavor, it always made my stomach weird and turned "everything" blue, if you catch my drift.

WTF do they make this stuff with?!

I love that you listened to BBS!! I have that humping horse t-shirt. Who can't love a band that has that for a logo? I'm actually going to see them again on Thursday in Gainesville!

Flintstone boxers? Classic!!

I'm not sure what's in the bootleg Dr. Pepper, but I sure hope it has Riboflavin. Can't have enough Riboflavin. Or Partially Hydrogonated Glutenanny!

I'm enjoying the BBS.

Yes. Flintstones boxers. It says something like "Rocking your world caveman style".

What's funnier is that when Ben and I stand next to each other, there's sort of this Fred and Barney visual.

Hilarious update, MD!

Great Job.

Regarding Dr. Thunder . . . TCD Twin #1 is a huge fan of Dr. Pepper. She claims that it is far superior to Mr. Pibb. One day, I called her on it. I purchased Dr. Peppper, Mr. Pibb, Dr. Thunder and Dr. Publix (love that name) and we did a blind taste test. To my surprise, she was able to pick out the Dr. Pepper. To her surprise, she liked Dr. Publix the best.

Regarding the Raccoons . . . the last time we camped at Ft. Desoto, there were raccoons everywhere. We went out for a bike ride in the afternoon and came back to our site to find it being ransacked by a gang of them. And we had a hard time chasing them away. They were hissing and growling at us. That event is probably the major reason we haven't been back. One raccoon at night we could probably handle. Although, with all due respect, I think I would rather see raccoons than you in your Fred and Barney boxers. No offense.

I love the fact that your sisters came to the campground. Aunts and uncles are awesome!

I love the sunset photo!

And, last, but not least, thanks for the tour of your camping set up. That Little Tikes boom box is the best!

TCD

I noticed there is no Dr. Publix in the Diet variety, as there is also no Diet Pibb.

There is Dr. Pepper Ten, where they added 10 calories and painted the can gun metal grey, and marketed to men. It's in the mix now!

I hate those raccoons. I put extra weight on the coolers, pack the food in the truck, but forgot the trash for one night. I hope he cut himself on a can, the little bastard!

The little tykes radio is amazing. I see it's marketed as being "tough". There was a cheap version of it for $29 that we tossed on 4th of July. But this sucker has seen it all, and keeps playing. Not too loud, we don't bother anyone, but enough to hear at the site.

I gotta play that Air Spatula whilst cooking, don't ya know!

Did you meet the Volkswagen people?

You'll see in the next updates, we met up with the VW crowd. I don't think they recognized me in my street clothes.

I have a good chance of them believing I was a hallucination. It could happen!

Side note with the raccoon. We hate raccoon. They have invested the larger barn and have latrines on top of boxes with items I would have wanted to use again - like Christmas decorations. We've trapped and 4 so far and there are more. They mess with the cats, destroy equipment and pretty darn nasty. We really hate raccoon.

While walking around the Other Fort over by the pet loop, we went past a garbage container. Out popped a huge raccoon, hissing and spitting at us. Husband is like, 'no way, we are on vacation, I am not dealing with that coon with an attitude'. He stared the coon down and it finally jumped down and went off into someone's campsite. Sorry about that person with a really nice pop up and cool music playing, hope the coon just kept going. We made sure there was nothing outside that would attract those little buggers.

We really hate raccoon.

So it's you that cheased them our way?

They have no fear. They are a blight on the camping industry and will some day be replaced by the gopher. Something like that.

They really don't have any fear. Here we were camping at a state park and it just walked right up to our trailer. We sitting outside by the fire, had the lights on and it just waltzed in. It noticed us and then continued on under the trailer to the next site without a care in the world. Yup, we hates raccoon. Need a t-shirt that says that.

Enjoying your report! Can't wait for the next part, lol!

Thanks. I'm glad you've spent some time with us! Next update is now ready!

They really don't have any fear. Here we were camping at a state park and it just walked right up to our trailer. We sitting outside by the fire, had the lights on and it just waltzed in. It noticed us and then continued on under the trailer to the next site without a care in the world. Yup, we hates raccoon. Need a t-shirt that says that.

You convinced me. We now have reservations for June 10-13. Site 203 for anyone who wants to visit.

Cool. we're gonna look into it! Hope some other fiends can join up. Technically it's still a fort, and we are fiends...

You're taking longer breaks than TCD...... :rofl2:

'Tis the season! We've experienced the convergance of a fall baseball season (son plays, I coach), two soccer seasons, shopping, and the slowing of the Florida flow courtesy of migratory fowl (i.e. snowbirds)!

Day Three:

Music: Stones, all day

Drink: Nothing, just some empty cans!

Smell: Fresh sea air and old German Autos

Whence upon a time when I was a wee MetalBrat, I camped at this very same campground.

I was a young ‘en, and a guest at the tent of the Big Sister that is our guest on this very trip.

Even then, our family’s greatest joy was to be parked in a circle around a fire.

They sent me out to search for firewood.

I came across a hunk of stump that I thought would burn marvelously.

I tossed it on the fire and waited the flames to lick the big wood I tossed in.

Smoke started to billow.

The smell was wretched.

Campers within 3 or 4 sites were all gagging and wretching.

Apparently, my search yielded not a huge hunk of wood, but rather a dead and decaying horseshoe crab.

It was dark, I was young.

Like Bill Cosby used to say… I told you that story so I could tell you this.

As we’ve been doing lately, we build a morning fire so we can sit and sip and start the day most tranquil.

The kids had been having fun scouring the woods for sticks, twigs, and all manner of burnable matter.

Just like good ‘ol MetalDad!

And…

My son shows up fireside with this…

20121110_100835.jpg

That’s also a better look at our play tent for the kids. The zipper broke so it stays open.

The kids often take Pringles in their so I’m sure that the coons clean up well during the overnight!

Here’s a shot of my other Big Sister, number two.

20121110_103734.jpg

And the two of them together.

20121110_103830.jpg

We went on a bike ride through the park.

Here’s Annie and I on the tag-a-long!

20121110_104642.jpg

Annie loves this. She refers to it as the lollipop tower.

20121110_105019.jpg

A good landmark, visible from the entire island.

There are two camping sites directly underneath it.

I went to take a picture of this fishing spot, and these two turned around just as I snapped.

20121110_110015.jpg

The case is still pending a possible out of court settlement.

Thought I’d share anyway!

After missing the turn from the beach and going all the way to the parking lot of Tropicana Field where the Tampa Bay Rays play, MetalMom finally made it to hang out!

20121110_113518.jpg

After lunch, it was time for a major bike tour. We all loaded up and headed out.

MetalWife and MetalMom stayed behind with Josie to keep the site safe from robots.

They have a great bike path that stretches a few miles.

Here we go…

20121110_131033.jpg

Annie and I got out to a good lead, so we stopped on a little bridge to wait for the rest of the group.

20121110_131335.jpg

20121110_131340.jpg

20121110_131358.jpg

That’s my nephew behind the orange flag.

They fly a big honkin’ lump-in-the-throat American flag. Gotta love it!

20121110_131534.jpg

Trying to get an entrance sign photo and BIL drive-by-photo-ninjas me!

With…

20121110_132344.jpg

Without…

20121110_132401.jpg

Now, unlike our Fort, this fort is a real fort, dating back to the Spanish-American War.

20121110_132909.jpg

There are all sorts of tunnels, bunkers, minarets, cells, and mortar cannons all along the beach that they used to protect Tampa Bay from the enema…errr..enemy!

Just seeing if you’re paying attention!

20121110_133016.jpg

Annie and Big Sister Two

20121110_133051.jpg

Gracie kicking some azimuth!

20121110_133218.jpg

Fiend gone headless…

20121110_133244.jpg

Looking down the barrel…

20121110_133315.jpg

Coordinates…

20121110_133411.jpg

Kids and big guns…

20121110_133654.jpg

Looking down the beach.

20121110_133814.jpg

Next, we see the fort from the top and a bit of time travel.

Stay tuned!

We had a blast playing in the Fort part too. Did you go to the house that has all the memorabilia? That was pretty cool to read about the history of the Fort. We spent a lot of time at this section. Course we also managed to amble on over to the little snack stand for some ice cream :D

What a fun report! Fort DeSoto looks like a really great CG. It reminds me a little of Hunting Island, SC.

I love your sound system. Little Tykes lasts forever. We are also Dr Thunder drinkers. Viva Store Brands!

As great as this TR is so far, this nearly killed me....

I tip toe to the dumpster.

Drop my load.

Then I hear a familiar sound.

A distinctive sound.

A Volkswagen.

Then, headlights.

And there I am.

Funniest TR moment EVAHHH! :lmao1: :heart: