Next Gen 'MyMagic+' - announcement from Tom Staggs

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like it because it's aggravating and annoying all of you. BTW, what's a smart phone and where can I get one?

I'm very concerned that this wristband could cause a tan line.

The red color of that bracelet is going to clash with most of my outfits. This is unacceptable. Can't I just have a microchip injected in the back of my hand that automatically dissolves at midnight o

The red color of that bracelet is going to clash with most of my outfits. This is unacceptable. Can't I just have a microchip injected in the back of my hand that automatically dissolves at midnight on the last day of my reservation?

then you can sue disney for the infection having the micro chip installed gives you... lifetime of Fort Vacations

• 2 weeks later...

This still gives me a headache.

We like to park hop.....one park in AM....another one in PM.

We sometimes get fastpasses more than once for the same ride in the same day.

We never know for sure what park we are going to go to prior to the night before.

I think this sucks as a replacement for the current system. I hope I can say I was totally wrong about this when all is said and done, but I dont think that is how it will turn out.

Also, i liked being able to give away FPs that we couldnt use.

Still no word on how many you will be able to book when this goes live, or if there will be a tiered system as has been rumored.

Also wondering how APs will work with this.

Hallelujah. Holy Sh*t. Where's the Tylenol.

Another article on "How MyMagic+ Will Affect Disney Dining" posted to the Disney Food Blog...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/01/16/how-mymagic-will-affect-disney-dining/#more-74357

One excerpt with an interesting take on one way this may be a good thing for guests...

Have More Inexpensive Breakfasts and Fewer Expensive Lunches

If you don’t have to be at the Park at 9 a.m. to get your FastPasses, as Erin points out, you could enjoy a late breakfast at the resort. Breakfast usually costs less than lunch and dinner at Disney restaurants, which means indulging in a big breakfast could allow you to skip lunch (or just have a small snack instead of a full meal), and pay less overall!

That pattern could result in significant savings over the course of a long trip to Disney World, and it will definitely mean we need to crunch some new numbers to determine whether the Disney Dining Plan is worth the cost.

WDW Magic is reporting that MyMagic+ "Touch to Pay" is rolling out to more locations this week, including Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Typhoos Lagoon, Wide World of Sports, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Pop Century.

The 'Touch to Pay' system allows guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort to use their Key to the World card and PIN number to pay by simply touching the card to the RFID reader.

See full article for the list of locations where Touch to Pay is already available...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/25jan2013-mymagic-%27touch-to-pay%27-rolling-out-to-more-locations-next-week.htm#.UQKbIE9jgWY.twitter

Ya, ya, ya. It was announced last year that Next Gen is going property wide. What's the big deal? Is WDW Magic going to post a story every time a location gets updated to Next Gen?

It's like replacing the locks. It was announced that all locks would be replaced by 2013 so as to be compatible with Next Gen and yet a big deal was made every time a resort was converted.

So yes, Next Gen will be everywhere DCL, DME, WDW, DL. Don't be surprised as it happens.

The word is that starting Jan 30, park tickets purchased on property will all be converted to RFID, allowing those guests to use the "touch points" already in place throughout WDW, which includes main entrance turnstiles. (Until yesterday, only resort guests were able to do this with their KTTW cards.)

Rollout of the new tickets is happening over the next few days with the tentative schedule being:

Jan 30 - Animal Kingdom

Jan 31 - Magic Kingdom

Feb 1 - Epcot & Hollywood Studios

Feb 4 - Downtown Disney

These tickes will function the same as tickets have in the past and you can still get Fastpass tickets with them.

New tickets will be plastic and have a green background.

Annual Passholders will be abl to convert their current APs to these types of tickets in the future (no date yet). Disney has stated that Passholders will be receiving information soon about how to convert their APs.

It appears that Magic Bands may not appear for a little while still. Likely that CMs will be used for testing before they are rolled out to regular Disney Guests.

Stay tuned! :)

• 1 month later...

I doubt that the MagicBands are going to be used at the Fort during your stay.

They're still in the testing phase and will not be going property-wide for a while.

Thanks for the info.

Personally, I think they're kinda cute. It'd be nice not to mess with a card, but I know I'm in a very small minority.

It'd be nice not to mess with a card, but I know I'm in a very small minority.

I don't think you are in the minority. You're hearing the griping from the people that don't like them, but you're not hearing from the people that do or will like them. Once the program is completely in place, I believe most people will find it convenient and for those that don't, they can opt for the card.

But remember, they're only free for resort guests, so most people will still be using the cards unless they're willing to pay extra for the MagicBands.

Using the bands to get in to the park, pay for stuff and pay for food does sound pretty cool.

Most of the apprehension I have is the limitations of Fast Passes that come with the bands when they roll out full time. Have a fixed amount of 3 only and limited to a single park a day to use them; that will require me to rethink everything I thought I knew. I'm almost too old to learn new tricks.

Most of the apprehension I have is the limitations of Fast Passes that come with the bands when they roll out full time.

FPs don't have to come with the band, you can use some, all, or none, of the MyMagic features connected to it. You'll still be able do everything as it's being done now. To me, I consider having three FPs at one time a plus and not a limitation.