DaveInTN's Christmas 2012 Extravaganza (AKA 700 Photos Of Anna and Food)

We found that path on our last trip there. DW had read about it somewhere.

I didn't mind the "unmagical" aspect of it, because as a disliker of people, I would much rather take that route rather than fight all of the crazies down mainstreet after Wishes.

Of course, I didn't try to take any pictures, because I am a rule follower...

Okay, it's actually just because when given a path to be the crowds, I'm going to frickin' beat the crowds, so there was no wasting time taking pics for me!

Yeah, part of me wants to hightail it to the boats to beat the crowds. And the other part of me wants to gawk. Despite what Lou says, there is a lot more to see back there than plastic fences and planters. We saw a big steel contraption that said "Cryogenic Life Maintenance Unit". I was about to get a pic of that when a big burly CM physically shoved me aside and told me to move on.

I had to look up my password so I could log in to reply. :rofl2: I know it's been a long time so I'll blame it on that and not age! ;)

I actually read your TR yesterday...missed my darn Sunday nap 'cause of it!

Liv! I'm so honored that you actually took the time to look up your password for ME!

And sorry about the nap.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great update, Dave! I loved the safari commentary. I think you should become a driver for the safari. You are a lot better than what they have there now. It's funny that you mention stopping to see sh

Don't forget Anna has LOTS of Aunts and Uncles. I think we could arrange an evening or afternoon for 2 :)

Hey Carol, for further clarification, I asked Anna. Her response was "это отстой обезьяны окурки".

STELLA!!

Ok, I seem to be getting behind schedule here, so time to move things along.

On 12/27, we had plans to hit DHS.

Why Hollywood Studios on this day?? Because we had a lunch ADR at 50's Prime Time Cafe, that's why!!

This picture tells me it was a sunny but chilly morning waiting for the bus.

DSCN1435.JPG

Emma, Gwen, Stella and I headed straight toward RNR for fastpasses then hit TOT.

DSCN1443.JPG

DSCN1436.JPG

Apparently it was still cold. Or someone was nervous.

This is another of those Disney attractions with excellent theming. I love how the hotel was built to look not only old, but "run down"...rusty light fixtures, cracked tile in the fountains, and unkept landscaping.

DSCN1437.JPG

By the time we got to the basement, Stella was getting pretty nervous.

DSCN1438.JPG

The ride photo is quite blurry, but I posted it because you can see how Stella is completely leaning into me and holding my hands. We are in the upper left.

DSCN1439.JPG

As it turns out, Stella loved it and ended up riding again later in the trip with Emma.

After a bit it was time to ride RNR.....which I think has become my favorite ride at WDW.

DSCN1440.JPG

Once again, Stella was nervous....but she ended up LOVING this ride and rode this again later in the trip too. Although you would never be able to tell from the ride photo. This has to be my favorite ride photo from my family of all time. I love the look on her face!

DSCN1441.JPG

DSCN1442.JPG

We texted INC at that point and she and the other two were on the Grating Movie Ride. So we headed toward the exit there to wait for them. After they came out, it was pretty much time for our ADR....so off to the 1950's we went!!

While waiting in the "living room" for our name to be called, these two came waltzing in.

DSCN1444.JPG

He spent quite a bit of time with Stella, and it was hilarious! He kept reprimanding INC and I on her manners.

DSCN1445.JPG

DSCN1446.JPG

DSCN1447.JPG

Then he got the bullhorn out for Anna. :rofl3:

DSCN1448.JPG

DSCN1449.JPG

DSCN1451.JPG

Not long after they left, our names were called and we were lead to our table.

DSCN1452.JPG

DSCN1453.JPG

I ordered Mom's Sampler...a portion of fried chicken, pot roast AND meatload. All of it was quite good, but my favorite here is always the fried chicken. In my opinion it is a lot better than the GAG chicken.

DSCN1454.JPG

INC had the Chicken Pot Pie, which was very good too. Nice big chunks of chicken, and a light puff pastry.

DSCN1456.JPG

Izzy got the fried chicken and mashed potatoes. She had them hold the turnip greens as she didn't want them and didn't want the waitress yelling at her for not eating them. When I asked the waitress if she could change something on Izzy's order, she said "Did you see a Burger King sign outside?? You think you can have it your way here?". The jokes and funny lines here NEVER get old.

Izzy said when she ordered that I could have some of her chicken, because she never eats much. That's one reason I got the sampler...knowing I could have more of Izzy's chicken. Well, let's just say I never got any because she ate every bite.

DSCN1457.JPG

Gwen had the same as Izzy only with the vegetables.

Emma got her usual at PTC....the pot roast. She loves this dish.

DSCN1458.JPG

For our family, a meal at 50's is not complete without the PB&J milkshake. LOVE this thing! In the past, we've gotten some milkshakes as an appetizer, but today we got them for dessert. Ordered 3 to share on the advice of our waitress, which was the perfect amount. 3 milkshakes gave each of us a full cup to drink.

DSCN1459.JPG

Anna got ice cream with her kids' meal.

DSCN1460.JPG

DSCN1465.JPG

After we had completely stuffed ourselves till we could stuff in no more, we left the go walk off our lunch. The first thing we saw when we exited the restaurant was this.

DSCN1466.JPG

It's funny...we always notice the skywriter when we are at DHS, but I don't recall ever noticing one at another park. Maybe I never look up anywhere else?

We headed back to check out the new Captain Jack attraction, but the line was quite long and the CM said that we'd likely find shorter lines later that day or in a couple of days...in any case we left and went into One Man's Dream. I really enjoyed that.

We also saw this guy.

DSCN1467.JPG

DSCN1468.JPG

Kinda creepy, but cool at the same time.

I wanted to ride the Grating Movie Ride, and since Anna enjoyed it before INC agreed to go again while the other girls went in search of kettlecorn. We enjoyed the ride well enough, but the best part was right at the end when you stop in the room with the large movie screen that is showing scenes from classic Hollywood films. They show a brief scene from Streetcar Named Desire when Brando yells "Stella!!!". Well, NOBODY yells Stella better than Anna, and she set out to prove that she can call her sister better than Marlon Brando can. So throughout the rest of the ride she kept yelling "STELLA!!!" as loud as she could, despite our efforts to stifle it. Nobody seemed to mind, as people were chuckling along with us. But she wouldn't stop. STELLA!!!! STELLAAAAA!!!!!! Thankfully, the ride is pretty much over at that point, and once we exited she stopped.

But I couldn't stop laughing about it.

We met back up with the girls, and at that point the park was getting quite busy, so we decided to leave. We had dinner in the crock pot back at the Fort, and we were tired and just wanted some downtime. We enjoyed a quiet evening at the Fort hanging out, and later that evening after getting the kids in bed we left Emma in charge and INC and I did some looping. As became our usual evening routine, we hit the Meadows Trading Post for some wifi and I made my signature DaveInTN Looping Mocha Concoction...half hot chocolate and half decaf.

INC checked email.

DSCN1476.JPG

I wandered around the store shopping and soaking up the ambiance.

DSCN1477.JPG

We looped a bit more, then turned in to rest for tomorrow....Animal Kingdom day.

Coming up....Further Proof That I Am Getting Old....

STELLA!!!!

I think their chicken is good because they don't do all that dipping and battering. From what I understand they dredge in a dry flour mixture and fry. Some folks try to make it too complicated! :) I can't get over Stella's bravery on all these wild rides! Speaking of Stella, I love the story about Anna calling her! That was just too cute!

I love the photos of Anna reacting to the weirdo with the megaphone.

Who the heck was he, anyway?

I also love the story about Anna yelling Stella!

Too funny!

I always get the Pot Roast at Prime Time. I love fried chicken, but figured it wouldn't be better than the GAG chicken.

But, since you say it is, I am trying that next time.

TCD

I think their chicken is good because they don't do all that dipping and battering. From what I understand they dredge in a dry flour mixture and fry. Some folks try to make it too complicated! :) I can't get over Stella's bravery on all these wild rides! Speaking of Stella, I love the story about Anna calling her! That was just too cute!

That's interesting to know about the fried chicken...the few times that this transplanted yankee has tried to make fried chicken, I've done the whole "3 dish" method....dredge in flour, dip in milk or buttermilk or something, then dredge through something else. Is simpler better?

So Stella and my ID need to trade ride faces. Stella looks terrified and but loves it. ID looks like she's out for an evening stroll but hates the ride.

Oh and I can't resist -

STELLLLLLLAAAAAAAA!

Yell it outloud! And maybe your ID is pushing the fear down deep inside so you don't see it on her face?

I love the photos of Anna reacting to the weirdo with the megaphone.

Who the heck was he, anyway?

I also love the story about Anna yelling Stella!

Too funny!

I always get the Pot Roast at Prime Time. I love fried chicken, but figured it wouldn't be better than the GAG chicken.

But, since you say it is, I am trying that next time.

TCD

I don't know who that joker was....but he was greeting guests at the gate when we entered the park in the morning, then came strolling through the restaurants at lunch time. Lord knows.

I think you'd like the chicken at PTC. I have nothing against the GAG chicken at all...but I LOVE the chicken at PTC.

That is so funny. I can just imagine Anna yelling Stella... I can relate to Stella's RRC picture. If I can get mine scanned and loaded I will show you mine. Its ridiculous. I also think that ride ended up getting me pregnant the next month. We were told we were not able to have children 6 yrs earlier. Well ride that ride and one month later I was prego... I blame(love)that ride. I don't ride rollercoasters but I rode that one because Hubby didn't want to go on TOT. What a compromise.

That is so funny. I can just imagine Anna yelling Stella... I can relate to Stella's RRC picture. If I can get mine scanned and loaded I will show you mine. Its ridiculous. I also think that ride ended up getting me pregnant the next month. We were told we were not able to have children 6 yrs earlier. Well ride that ride and one month later I was prego... I blame(love)that ride. I don't ride rollercoasters but I rode that one because Hubby didn't want to go on TOT. What a compromise.

That's awesome! Are you suing Steven Tyler for paternity?

They try. They usually bring in large planter tree boxes to somewhat obscure the view along one side. There is nothing on the route that any normal person, remember we're talking about Dave here, would want a photo of. The CM was probably yelling at Dave, hey dummy, why are you taking a picture of that plastic fence?

You'll also read elsewhere that there are dumpsters along the route, that's false. It's one mostly hidden trash compactor. There's a big difference between the two. You don't see any trash with a trash compactor.

So you see the very mundane backs of the Main St. USA buildings or a white plastic fence, big whoop. Everyone knows that the buildings are just facades, they're fake. You all know that, right?

Un-magical, get over it. It's an amusement park. It's not a holy shrine. Everything backstage is what it should be.

If someone doesn't want to see all that real stuff and be scarred for life, then they should wait until Main St. reopens or look down if they do walk back there.

And BTW, Walt is still dead and couldn't care less what you knuckleheads see backstage.

For New Years Eve, Park 1 (the backstage area guests are funneled out through) was used as a dance party and the entire area was opened to guests.

As Lou said, there isnt much back there worth photographing. I see it everyday. The only appeal and awe is that it is Disney back stage. The great secret.....

Great Update.

Is Anna giving megaphone guy the stink eye?

Another mocha concoction. Nice.

I think so....she was not impressed with that guy.

Wonderful! I can't believe how brave Stella is!!! :bravo:

She's braver than I am, for sure!

For New Years Eve, Park 1 (the backstage area guests are funneled out through) was used as a dance party and the entire area was opened to guests.

As Lou said, there isnt much back there worth photographing. I see it everyday. The only appeal and awe is that it is Disney back stage. The great secret.....

Either way, someone has to answer to the frozen head.

Better than GAG?

Blasphemy!

Okay, I have never eaten there so I'll withhold any more judgements until I try it.

Try it!

Caught up sweet. Also they play steamboat willy and other old cartoons on either the new channel 18 or 16 somewhere right there.y kids love it. We normally don't let them watch tv when camping, but when were there the tv runs all day but only on this channel. We let them watch it, it's kinda part of our fort tradition

Dave, Simpler is definitely better! My Grandma fried some of the best chicken ever. Flour, salt and a tad bit of pepper in a paper bag. Use a deep cast iron skillet (enough room so the chicken can float) and go to frying. Don't keep the heat cranked too high or you end up with crispy skin and raw inside. It actually helps to toss the chicken in the grease before it is super hot, then it cooks while it heats and ends up getting crispy too!

Caught up sweet. Also they play steamboat willy and other old cartoons on either the new channel 18 or 16 somewhere right there.y kids love it. We normally don't let them watch tv when camping, but when were there the tv runs all day but only on this channel. We let them watch it, it's kinda part of our fort tradition

Sounds like a good tradition to me! And one they will likely ALWAYS remember.

Stella's so brave for riding TOT and RRC not just once but twice. My DD8 bugged me this last trip until I finally took her on TOT. She was so happy to get on and even happier to get off. She says never again. I'm with Inc on the chicken pot pie. Great pix.

Thanks Ray. Your daughter sounds like my 12 year old. Once was enough.

Dave, Simpler is definitely better! My Grandma fried some of the best chicken ever. Flour, salt and a tad bit of pepper in a paper bag. Use a deep cast iron skillet (enough room so the chicken can float) and go to frying. Don't keep the heat cranked too high or you end up with crispy skin and raw inside. It actually helps to toss the chicken in the grease before it is super hot, then it cooks while it heats and ends up getting crispy too!

I think I'll leave the chicken frying to Publix and Disney. It's the whole crispy skin but raw inside thing that always worries me. Luckily I cook lots of other things...so I'll leave chicken to the true Southern cooks. Well, except for wings of course. Those are definitely in my heritage!

Further Proof That I Am Getting Old

We have arrived at 12/28....Animal Kingdom day.

Animal Kingdom is just a half-day park.

There's really not much to do there.

It's not worth using a ticket unless you can park hop somewhere else.

Ever hear those things? Yeah, me too. And I have to say, there was a time when I would have agreed with someone saying that. But over the years, I've grown an appreciation for this park. I really like it.

Is it my favorite park? Not even close. But it's a gorgeous park with appeal to all ages IMO.

Even for an old guy like me.

So let's get going, shall we?

DSCN1478.JPG

Looks like a nice day, doesn't it??

Well it was! A beautiful, blue sky greeted us upon our arrival at the park.

The 4 oldest girls and I headed straight to EE to ride before it got too busy. We grabbed FPs for later, and then rode stand by. The wait wasn't bad at all.

Here's our little nut Stella, ready to go.

DSCN1481.JPG

Gettin strapped in!

DSCN1482.JPG

Uh oh....

DSCN1483.JPG

DSCN1485.JPG

This is one of the only "big" rides Izzy did on this trip.

DSCN1486.JPG

While we were riding Everest, INC took Anna to Dinoland and they rode Triceratop Spin around 50 times.

We met up with them after, and INC and the girls went to ride Primeval Whirl. While they were doing that, I took Anna on....Triceratop Spin AGAIN....

DSCN1488.JPG

DSCN1489.JPG

I guess she likes that ride.

We all met up again and walked over to the Boneyard to let Stella and Anna play for a bit.

DSCN1490.JPG

DSCN1491.JPG

DSCN1492.JPG

Izzy has gotten as tall as the slide is long.

DSCN1493.JPG

After a while, the Fastpass times for EE came up, so INC went with the 4 older girls to ride that. It was getting closer to lunch time, so Anna and I grabbed an outdoor table at the Yak & Yeti counter serve place to start munching and to secure a lunch table before it got crazy busy.

I got Anna some fries of course.

DSCN1494.JPG

DSCN1495.JPG

Anna and french fries are a happy combination.

DSCN1496.JPG

It didn't take the ladies too long to ride EE and wander over to join us.

I went up to the counter to place our orders. We have come to really enjoy this spot for lunch. The girls like that they can each pick out their own Chinese order and not share like when we go to a sit down Chinese place. And INC and I can enjoy some of this.

DSCN1497.JPG

The food is pretty good here.

DSCN1498.JPG

DSCN1499.JPG

After we were all stuffed to the gills with chicken, rice and special sauces, we wandered over toward the Safari ride. That....along with proof that I am getting old, is coming up later....

Can I borrow Anna the next time you're at WDW?

I love the Yak and Yeti quick serve. My girls used to, but now that they are sushi experts, it's not good enough for them.

I'll take Anna there, get myself a beer and some chinese food and her some fries, then we'll ride the Dino Spinner 50 times, and I'll have her back by dinner.

TCD

I love the Yak and Yeti quick serve. My girls used to, but now that they are sushi experts, it's not good enough for them.

I'll take Anna there, get myself a beer and some chinese food and her some fries, then we'll ride the Dino Spinner 50 times, and I'll have her back by dinner.

TCD

Consider yourself lucky.

AK opened when the TCD twins were 3.

I have spent a lot of time in the Boneyard.

And by a lot, I mean a lot.

TCD

next time I think we'll try the quick service instead of the sitdown... do they have the fried wantons at the QS?

I have been in denial about the existence of the boneyard and now my kids aren't interested in it... whew!

Cool!!! Got any more pictures of the Boneyard? I've never actually been inside there.

Consider yourself lucky.

AK opened when the TCD twins were 3.

I have spent a lot of time in the Boneyard.

And by a lot, I mean a lot.

TCD

Same here....a lot. It is a pretty cool place for a local municipality park. For Disney, it's just a playground.

I don't think I have any more pics.

TCD

Anytime. Just say the word.

next time I think we'll try the quick service instead of the sitdown... do they have the fried wantons at the QS?

I have been in denial about the existence of the boneyard and now my kids aren't interested in it... whew!

I don't think they have the fried wontons. It's a fairly limited menu. Here is a link.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/7313-anandapur-local-food-cafes-yak-and-yeti-animal-kingdom/