I've got a question. Do y'all leave your awning out when you go into the parks? When we are camping here on the lake we have to drop one side of our owning because the wind off the lake can pick up pretty quick. Many times we have came in from the boat and saw campers with broken awnings because they left them out and a storm blew in  :kickinass:

We usually leave it out but if we have a hint that there will be any inclement weather, we roll it up.  We were at our summer campsite last year and a change in the wind turned around and whipped in the opposite direction and pulled it right out of the ground and over the roof of the trailer.  Not pretty.

Totally depends on the time of year and weather.  If there's even a hint of anything in the area, we take it in.

I've seen pics of what happens when one of those crazy FL storms kicks up and twists up an awning like tin foil.

:dropjaw:

We do the same thing, haven't lost one yet but have replaced many over the years for our customers.

doodlebug

The only time we roll our awning in and out is if we are next to the ocean. Otherwise, I always tie mine down and keep it at a lower angle than most people do. The only awning I have lost over the past 30 years was when the wind pushed down on the awning & broke the awning tube.

on our new unit we got a electric awnig so now we roll it up when we leave, the older one we would leave out but i would have deflappers on it plus I would have it tied down and we would also lower one side to drain, my friends use to kid me and say the camper would blow over before the awnig would. On a side note I do not think the new electric awnings are as strong when they are out so that is one reasons I close it when we are gone(IMO).

We just about always have  ours up.  It has been through some pretty rough thunder storms without trouble.  I do tie it down with some good 12" sand stakes put in the ground at a good angle for holding power and always have it slanted for water runoff.

We always use awning straps and dog tie-out anchors. Haven't had any problems so far, but we did lose an awning while driving!

Couple of years ago on the way to the Fort we were on I95 and got caught in a wind/rain storm outside DC.  Unrolled the awning over the top of the camper and then ripped it along the front edge.

I had to pull over on the grass, go up top and roll it back up by hand.

Then I did what any self-respecting guy would do:  I got out my Duct Tape!

It wasn't pretty, but it held together until we got home and ordered new vinyl. Luckily the metal arms weren't damaged too badly and we only needed a new spring and ratchet mechanism.

:D :) :) :) :)

We always use awning straps and dog tie-out anchors. Haven't had any problems so far, but we did lose an awning while driving!

Couple of years ago on the way to the Fort we were on I95 and got caught in a wind/rain storm outside DC.  Unrolled the awning over the top of the camper and then ripped it along the front edge.

It wasn't pretty, but it held together until we got home and ordered new vinyl. Luckily the metal arms weren't damaged too badly and we only needed a new spring and ratchet mechanism.

:) :) :) :) :)

Wow..I probably would have freaked if this happened to us while we were going down I95  :D, but once again, good old duct tape to the rescue. My DH's favorite go-to problem solver!

Wow..I probably would have freaked if this happened to us while we were going down I95  :bugeyes:, but once again, good old duct tape to the rescue. My DH's favorite go-to problem solver!

It was exciting to say the least.....  I had to pull over on a slant, then crawl across the roof holding on for dear life as the trucks went by and rocked the MH. Then I had to hook one foot around an AC cover while trying to roll the awning back up and then tape it in place.  :)

My wife was standing below with her cell phone out ready to call the ambulance when I fell!  :D

But I will say it again: Duct tape is a miracle substance sent from God himself!  That repair held for the rest of the trip and most of the summer until we saved up for a new awning.

As my Grandfather used to say:  If it moves and it isn't supposed to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD-40 and a hammer......  :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote author=Avatab link=topic=908.msg

As my Grandfather used to say:  If it moves and it isn't supposed to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD-40 and a hammer......  :banana:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :) :)

That is a wise man!

Nope...if we are away from the camper, ours are up!

Even if we are "home" they are up if a storm approaches...saw my DH hanging onto our awning in a thunderstorm once (when I was 6 months pg and I was in the inside of the camper! LOL) and watched it tear off and him go flying!

Nope...if we are away from the camper, ours are up!

Even if we are "home" they are up if a storm approaches...saw my DH hanging onto our awning in a thunderstorm once (when I was 6 months pg and I was in the inside of the camper! LOL) and watched it tear off and him go flying!

:banana: sorry for finding that funny. I know it must have been scary, but the mental image I got was to much.  It should have been a scene in the movie RV.  I hope he didn't get hurt.

my last camper i would put the poles in the ground with dog tie stakes and rope it to a second set further out.  went through a couple real bad florida summer storms and a couple on the ocean campsites also. my new camper has the electric awning and there is no way to tie the poles down. so my only option is the rope kind. i leave it sloped. We put a bunch of lights up on the awning so it would be a pain to roll it up and in. but I am always terrified, with the new one, when we are away from the camper and a storm hits. I think we have just been lucky with the new one. The old one I saw in action a few times and think the down poles in the ground were the lifesaver

Guest starbuc71

I guess our worst awning story had to be up in the smoky mountains a few years back.  Dummy me, instead of going into Piegon Forge and downtown gatlinburg to get to the east side of Gatlinburg, we decided to take the "short cut" through Cades cove to bypass most of the traffic.  If anyone knows the tight hairpin turns on the road to cades cove, you probably think I'm stupid.  Coming down the road into one of those hairpin turns cam a huge dodge duelly pulling I kid you not a 40ft 5th wheel barreling ass and taking up most the road.  I had to pull to the side as much as I could and BAM! We scrapped the awning on the side of the rock wall along the road.  It could have been alot worse.  Low and behold it still gave way for a $600 vinyl replacement