Hey gang,

We are planning on heading to the Fort the week of March 10; Seeing how that's getting into Spring Break season, is it a necessity to make advance reservations? Do they ever fill up completely in March? Obviously want to make sure we get a spot but we generally just call them while we are driving.

Thanks,

Mike

For sure the Fort does fill up, especially during peak/holiday seasons - Spring Break being one of them, and as Lou said, you're smack in the middle of it from now well into April.

Other big holidays - July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas-New Years break (busiest time of the year). For those, you *may* luck into a last minute reservation, but lots of folks book those dates many months, in some cases a year, in advance.

The other holiday that's not so much a big deal at WDW in general, but usually is quite busy at the Fort is Halloween... aka "the Fiend high holy day" 8)

Hey gang,

We are planning on heading to the Fort the week of March 10; Seeing how that's getting into Spring Break season, is it a necessity to make advance reservations? Do they ever fill up completely in March? Obviously want to make sure we get a spot but we generally just call them while we are driving.

Thanks,

Mike

Whoa.

You generally just call while you are driving?

From Tennessee?

You are brave.

The Fort is often sold out, especially on weekends, even during not so busy times.

I would never chance calling from the road and hoping for a spot, no matter how slow I might think it's going to be.

TCD

Once upon a time (oh about 9 years ago) we were able to call en route when we knew we were going to be arriving early and get an extra Friday added onto our reservation.

Haven't been able to even do that in a very long time, although friends of ours managed to pull it off a couple of years ago.

Last year I booked us arriving Friday instead of Saturday. And since I did most of the driving, you can be darn sure we got there Friday. 8)

Allrighty then...WHEW, ya'll had me worried, so we called and made reservations! I was moderately freaking out when Kelly above said Preferred was already full. As it turns out, no problem at all - we had the choice of any type campsite, and in our case preferred w/ pets, so that means loop 300 here we come.

Looking forward to it. It's 32 degrees in Nashville now. And the forecast for Orlando area next week is decidedly warmer!

Can't wait!

-Mike

loop 300 here we come.

Our favorite! If you get a choice, check out for 333, 334, 335. Backs up to bushes, not other campsites, and because of where they are on the loop, you tend to have a good bit of space between you and your neighbors.

Man this board has made me a pushy poster lately.

Thanks for the encouragement, Lou.

Lou is nothing if not obnoxious encouraging. 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Our favorite! If you get a choice, check out for 333, 334, 335. Backs up to bushes, not other campsites, and because of where they are on the loop, you tend to have a good bit of space between you and your neighbors.

OK, so I should post a follow up to our trip.  First - Mo - we didn't see your post until we got back, but we actually stayed in the spot you all were at when we met your lovely handyman husband last fall - site 334.  It was great - for one day.   As it turns out, I got the call that my father passed away on day one at FW, so we had to pack up and head back to TN, then on to snowy Indiana for the funeral.  So we barely got camp set up before we had to take off. What a bummer!. From 75 at the Fort to 18 degrees and 35mph winds, frozen pipes, and snow blowing horizontally in Indiana.  Ugh.

Sites were plentiful at the Fort, and we had many to choose from in the 300 loop. We had no neighbors for several sites in either direction. The dates we were there are indeed early in the spring break period - FW staff confirmed that late March and early April are when the parks and Fort are the busiest.   They allowed us to leave early and shorten our reservation given our circumstances.  

So....we'll have that much more to look forward to when we return sometime in the fall and can hopefully stay for the full duration!

And oh...our litte Boston Buck (that's him on the right in my signature photo) did get to feeling better. He had an ear infection and was feeling puny.  Kind of fit the mood of our trip unfortunately. But...better days ahead!

Mike