Eat Your Heart Out Marty McFly......AC's 1978-1989 Trip Back in Time (updates that go back to 1975 commenced on 3-12-15 )

I agree. Although we started visiting WDW in the mid '70s, we didn't start camping at the fort until the late '80s. We missed a lot of the history.

My first visit to the Fort was also in the late 80's so I missed a lot as well. But growing up I had a friend who camped at the fort every couple of years through the 70's and 80's. I'm sure she must have some great photos from their many visits there. I haven't spoken to her in about 8 years so I would have to re-establish the friendship then ask for her childhood family photos so I could post them on the internet. That wouldn't seem weird, would it?

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's head to the ole fashioned swimmin hole, shall we?   We start out with a classic Disney relic of the past:       I should stop right here and pick it up later.   Those pics deserve their own up

He's moving even slower than brown paint guy ...

And here we go:                       Do you remember this character experience?     Moving on in Future World:                         Was that a Commodore 64?   How about robot

My first visit to the Fort was also in the late 80's so I missed a lot as well. But growing up I had a friend who camped at the fort every couple of years through the 70's and 80's. I'm sure she must have some great photos from their many visits there. I haven't spoken to her in about 8 years so I would have to re-establish the friendship then ask for her childhood family photos so I could post them on the internet. That wouldn't seem weird, would it?

Well isn't that what Facebook is for?

Those last pictures show what almost looks like a railroad crossing.  Weird.  But that can't be.  I can't imagine something as cool as having a railroad in a campground, and someone being so dumb as to get rid of it.  

A wise man once said the place is run by idiots.  Another wise man said the bottom line is what matters.  I would like a happy medium.

That is some AWESOME old school Fort, right there!!

That it is Russ.

Very cool!

I am glad you like it. 

That last set of pictures is the best!!

I agree......except for the Fort pics earlier in this report that show the train and Meadows area.

WOW! These are all just amazing. But especially this:

Besides the clarity of the photo that makes it look like it was taken yesterday, what a fun looking campground. What a great place for kids to play.

Also agreed.  The Fort was like no other place on earth.  It is still cool but not like it was back then.

^THIS^

Yup

Me too

Yep

And by the way I sure wish the water looked that clean again!!!!!!

It was amoeba free........

Can I nominate this as POY? Pic/Post of the Year

first off, "What the Fort"   :clint:

secondly, Chinese theater + cave women + creepy baby dino top left 

and what did one have to do to become the "surprise family for the day"?  

If i could hang with this crew i think i'd be worth it.

Nomination is so noted.

Open the door,

Get on the floor,

Everybody do the Dinosaur!

Boom-Boom-acka-lacka-Boom

The trailers are what we stayed in back when my grandparents took us and then again when my dad did. My aunt, uncle and I were just talking about them last weekend.

I must say the current cabins are a vast improvement.

"Not the Mama"!!

I was not a fan......but I do remember that quote being thrown around as much as "Where's the Beef?"

Sorry, wasn't able to post the picture, but for the first photo with RR crossing and play area-where is this area now at the Fort? 

see TCD

That's the 300 loop playground.  The 500 loop would be on the left of the photographer who took this photo.

The railroad tracks go right through what is currently the dog park.  If you visit the dog park now, you can see a raised area bisecting the field- that's where the tracks used to lie.  If you follow along that raised area, and look over the fence, you can see the old concrete supports from the train trellis that crossed the canal there.

This photo shows racks of canoes were stored there.  This is where they rented the canoes before the bike barn was built:

apache_zpsnv9btrwd.jpg

TCD

Thanks

Wow...I never would of guessed that. I hate I never got to see the fort during that time- it would of been great.

It was absolutely great.

I agree.  Although we started visiting WDW in the mid '70s, we didn't start camping at the fort until the late '80s.  We missed a lot of the history.

You would have loved it

Absolutely, get the pics!

Well isn't that what Facebook is for?

Huih?  What's facebook?

Tracking down people you haven't seen in decades? ...or weirdness?  B)

Both

I am still not following............

Moving on in the Fort of yore......

IMG_3625_zpszem2vdhc.jpg

IMG_3626_zps9vg8ukbk.jpg

IMG_3627_zpsnokbrfi5.jpg

IMG_3628_zpsoliaxkyl.jpg

IMG_3629_zpsrranfwno.jpg

IMG_3630_zpsthrin0mn.jpg

IMG_3631_zps7oqeqzif.jpg

IMG_3632_zpsmqwc3tp2.jpg

IMG_3633_zpsmcxvb0up.jpg

IMG_3634_zpskydw1kwz.jpg

Please come on it......the water is fine:

IMG_3635_zpsx0xnxy0t.jpg

IMG_3636_zpsii33u5wy.jpg

IMG_3637_zpszrmwoitx.jpg

IMG_3638_zpsj2obbws5.jpg

IMG_3639_zpscjd1mkvv.jpg

IMG_3640_zpsod3cag9h.jpg

Man.

I remember having just a ton of fun on that beach.

Some of you may remember the hammocks between the trees as well. 

We would spend the entire day at that beach.

Oh well.....it was fun while it lasted.

Next we will visit another thing of Fort times gone by.......

I should just finish this report up quickly.

Here is the last update here.

As you remember, I was hoping for a treasure trove of River Country pics but I have not located them so this is all you get and then we are done..........

IMG_3641_zpsctjdizse.jpg

IMG_3642_zpswav1gpqx.jpg

IMG_3643_zpspbngrlwg.jpg

IMG_3644_zpstrxxgjpl.jpg

IMG_3645_zpsah6hnbbt.jpg

IMG_3646_zps34u5hthf.jpg

IMG_3647_zpsjzk2yvs6.jpg

IMG_3648_zpsdgkcs5la.jpg

IMG_3649_zpsnsl6rolz.jpg

IMG_3650_zpszy2aur6p.jpg

Did you catch that?

Also........this is classic:

IMG_3651_zpsiy2debtn.jpg

IMG_3652_zpskr3jfg8v.jpg

So that's it.

That is all she wrote.

It's very sad when something good comes to an end.

Much like when you are packing up at the Fort.

But sometimes.

You get to go to the outpost and get a late checkout.

Or even add an extra day on the end of your Fort stay.

And that my friends is pure awesomeness.

Much like the last update that I will provide you later today or tomorrow.

With 22 pictures from River Country.

Sue me.

I lied to all of you.

Live with it.

LOL.  Nicely done with that River Country tease.

As I was scrolling thought the photos- I saw the one of Chip and Dale on the Pioneer Hall stage, and stopped to wonder what they were doing there.  I was going to let you know that you had a photo of the Melvin the Moose Breakfast Show.  But, then you posted the photos of Melvin, so you obviously knew that.

Great stuff!

TCD

The Fort pictures are very cool!!!

The Melvin picture is awesome!! It's good to know that Lou has saved Melvin and has him at his house :)

Can't wait for the River Country pics!!!

It was still open on our first couple of visits, but...... we always visited during their annual refurbishment, so missed it :(

Excellent!!  

You had to know you had some absolute GOLD in those Melvin pics, right?  

The Melvin picture is awesome!! It's good to know that Lou has saved Melvin and has him at his house :)

Wrong!  

Lou only pretended he was "saving" Melvin....don't you remember that Melvin appeared on eBay a year or two ago and fetched a HUGE payday?  Old Lou cashed in on poor Melvin's demise.  

Oh thank goodness it's not over yet!!!

The beach looked so... well, nice and beachy.  As opposed to now where it looks like a place where you sit on carefully arranged lounge chairs and read the "stay out of the water" signs.  Still nice, but not the same.

Love that Melvin made an appearance.  Old school Fort stuff wouldn't be the same without him.

LOL.  Nicely done with that River Country tease.

As I was scrolling thought the photos- I saw the one of Chip and Dale on the Pioneer Hall stage, and stopped to wonder what they were doing there.  I was going to let you know that you had a photo of the Melvin the Moose Breakfast Show.  But, then you posted the photos of Melvin, so you obviously knew that.

Great stuff!

TCD

I figured you would appreciate that.

Melvin the Moose.......classic.

The Fort pictures are very cool!!!

Can't wait for the River Country pics!!!

It was still open on our first couple of visits, but...... we always visited during their annual refurbishment, so missed it :(

You would have loved RC Carol.  I have many fond memories of RC and the Fort Beach.

Excellent!!  

You had to know you had some absolute GOLD in those Melvin pics, right?  

Wrong!  

Lou only pretended he was "saving" Melvin....don't you remember that Melvin appeared on eBay a year or two ago and fetched a HUGE payday?  Old Lou cashed in on poor Melvin's demise.  

I thought of you immediately when I saw the Melvin pics on the slide reel. 

Wow, I didn't know they had a slide at Bay Lake. I do remember the hammocks though. They lasted longer than the slide.

All of that was pure awesomeness.  I get the whole amoeba thing with the lake water......but why can't they hang some hammocks, bring back the tree stump trash cans, bring back the log benches, fix the settlement wagon, and bring back the RC wagon?  Pure idiocy and laziness.  None of those things cost enough money to make them go away or refuse to bring them back.

IMG_3635_zpsx0xnxy0t.jpg

IMG_3636_zpsii33u5wy.jpg

I seriously do not remember these sail boats - wouldn't that be something amazing to bring back?

Wow 

They are probably rotting in a landfill somewhere.

Oh thank goodness it's not over yet!!!

The beach looked so... well, nice and beachy.  As opposed to now where it looks like a place where you sit on carefully arranged lounge chairs and read the "stay out of the water" signs.  Still nice, but not the same.

Love that Melvin made an appearance.  Old school Fort stuff wouldn't be the same without him.

It is still a great place, but you are right, it's not the same.

Let's head to the ole fashioned swimmin hole, shall we?

We start out with a classic Disney relic of the past:

IMG_3653_zpscvlz5fuq.jpg

IMG_3654_zpsr1da6poa.jpg

I should stop right here and pick it up later.

Those pics deserve their own update.

But we will continue on..........

IMG_3655_zpszyeybw91.jpg

IMG_3656_zpsmjk8ux0d.jpg

IMG_3657_zpsnrqelfdf.jpg

IMG_3658_zpsept56sac.jpg

IMG_3659_zpsvwsy7lbn.jpg

IMG_3660_zpsbbheihd6.jpg

IMG_3661_zpsqprs3s5z.jpg

IMG_3662_zpslqpkpsxg.jpg

IMG_3663_zpstym1jjvr.jpg

IMG_3664_zpsbua4vsmu.jpg

IMG_3665_zpsqksaqhlm.jpg

IMG_3666_zpsvkbt0n7e.jpg

IMG_3667_zpskptcrrfx.jpg

IMG_3668_zps9tvvkhdn.jpg

IMG_3669_zpsqn5angpa.jpg

IMG_3670_zpsjkekzs3s.jpg

IMG_3671_zpsc0mduvxq.jpg

IMG_3672_zpsjlugkyqd.jpg

IMG_3673_zpsbgq9lljy.jpg

IMG_3674_zpsbwayhyh6.jpg

There you have it.

That was a great way to put the lid on this trip back in time.

I have finally posted all of the pics that I knew were available to me.

Thanks for taking this journey back in time with me.

I hope you all have enjoyed the report.

I urge all of you who have old pics, especially Fort pics, to come out of the shadows and start your own "Back in Time" trip report.

It's been real.

Peace, I'm outta here!!