We have been to Disney twice with our girls and both times have been late Sept., early Oct...and the lines are short, the weather is perfect, and to be honest, I think it's the most ideal time to go...However, there is a change in the school calendar next year for Fall break so it has me questioning whether or not we should go to the Fort at Thanksgiving, plus the thoughts of being with only my husband and 2 girls and away from our maniacal extended families is very enticing...Is it too crowded then?

I may just stick with our early Oct plans.....I love that time so much! I will try to hide out in Gatlinburg since it is close to our home during Thanksgiving I guess ...lol...holiday time means family drama time....and I am already planning ways to avoid it....so it's either Gatlinburg or a case of Pinot Grigio :-)

Crowded levels according to Tourplans.com predict it to be a 10 out of 10.  Which for some means no go and for others means good planning.  We have been the week of Christmas and it was busy but we expected that.

We visit the Fort every year for all or at least part of Thanksgiving week.  The Fort never feels too crowded, but it is likely every site will be full.

It is probably my favorite time to go.  The official Christmas decorations and big Christmas tree by Trail's End go up that week.  Most of the hard core camping decorators will have had their decorations up for a while by then.

The parks are crowded, but not as bad as during Christmas, Easter and the summer.

The weather is usually perfect.

There is a group of tee pee enthusiasts who set up camp in the group camping area every year for Thanksgiving- that is always fun to see.

TCD

We've been for Thanksgiving a few times and it is my favorite time to go.  Unless you are the type that hits parks every day, I'd definitely consider it.  The parks will be a zoo on Thanksgiving Day and the day after, but otherwise are not as bad as Christmas week IMO.  Plus, the smells in the campground on Thanksgiving day are incredible! 

Chicken.

For the last several years, we have visited Hollywood Studios and the MK on Thanksgiving night.

It is really not a big deal.

There are much busier times.

TCD

I know you do it on the fly.  I wouldn't let it stop me if I really wanted to do something but I would use the ttp app to let me decide which park is worth the trip by checking the wait times.  Unless I was going to see a particular show or fireworks

But Nicki, I'll give you an up arrow! :)

thanks.... now go find a Lou post and give him one toooo

If you can stay the Sun, Mon and Tues after Thanksgiving. It is a great time to go. I discoverd this one year we went and as we were leaving on Sun we went into the parks , they were empty. So for a few years after that (since I couldn't get the few day before) we stayed after and it was great, even less crowed than October.

Busiest days of that week are Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat and the earlier part of Sunday.  The prior weekend through Tuesday gets a bit busier each day, and crowds start dropping off Sunday afternoon.  While it's a busy time, it's nowhere near as crazy as Christmas, Spring Break or July 4th.

If you want to do a fair bit of stuff in the parks, just follow the "busy times at WDW" credo...

- rope drop

- take advantage of early EMH

- fast pass

- realistic expectations

- go with the flow

- Have fun!

One word of advice - unless you're there for rope drop or really late at night, avoid MK on Thanksgiving Day like the plague.

Lou is gonna give me heck for this one but with the Touringplans app... and just a wee bit of planning it could totally be done

Touringplans is full of crap. Crowds have not been a 10 out of 10, busy, yes, super busy, nope.

I would rate the crowds between an 8 & 9 on a max scale of 10. And as others have said. it's not during the entire week.

BTW, Touringplans, referred to as TP, also stands for something that belongs in the toilet bowl.

Ok, I was there last year for the week of Thanksgiving. I was also there the week after Thanksgiving. The week of Thanksgiving was not as bad as I expected. Middays are busiest, but parks are open later. Later evening was best for rides. Hit less popular/higher volum rides during the day. Example we would get FP for a ride then go see HOP. The week after crowds were down but hours were shorter too. Don't be afraid of Thanksgiving week but do know there will be lines.

You've fallen off the over planning wagon, haven't you? I bet you've got a spreadsheet or two hidden away somewhere. 

I'm having an intervention next week. TJ, Dave Devore, I'll need your help on this.

no intervention needed.  I have no ADRs.  I have not created a single spreadsheet.  my only "plan" is to go to epcot first to get our APs converted to the new cards then make sure to see Fantasmic this trip.  Hopefully I will get visits from fiends....and that is all.  The only time I looked at anything remotely planning like was when i looked to see what the best weeks to come.... Heck, I don't even have an deals made for this visit.