ImDownWithSpringAtTheFort

I've been dragging my feet about getting this TR going, but I finally found some motivation....so here goes.

After many false starts and cancelled reservations the IDWD family was able to take a trip home...err to the Fort. We had originally planned on going for Thanksgiving, but that fell through. Then I made reservations for January, and again we weren't able to get away. When I made the March reservations I really didn't think that we would go. Plus, I was concerned about the spring break crowds that I had heard so much about. 

As vacation time approached it was looking more likely that we would be able to get away. We really needed a vacation to unwind. Since November we had been dealing with a myriad of issues with my grandparents, which really took a toll (and still does) on everyone. So some time off was very welcomed. Since my grandfather's condition was stable, my wife was able to get vacation, and the kids were cleared to take a week off before spring break by their teachers we loaded up the family truckster and made tracks. 

We left NE AL on Friday 3/15. The plan was to drive to around Dothan or further and boondock in a parking lot somewhere. We rolled out Friday under sunny skies and made our way south. Luckily, we missed both Birmingham and Montgomery traffic. But we did not miss the constant and strong wind out of the south. The headwind was so strong it felt like our camper was 5k heavier. Once the sun set the wind did ease up some, though. 

Our first stop was the Walmart in Ozark, AL. I had briefly considered boondocking there, but the local clientele changed my mind very quickly. I am used to all types of people, and, obviously, we don't live in the Hamptons, but this place was the bottom of the barrel, IMHO. We quickly bought a few things and were back on the road.

The next and final stop for the day was Camping World in Dothan. I spied some other campers and nice long spaces in the parking lot, so in we pulled. There were several other rigs hunkered down for the evening too. I think this place will be my new stopping spot. They even had water and electric hookups were we parked. I didn't hook up, though. I didn't know if they were free, plus with the built in genny and mild temps we didn't need hookups anyway.

Our spot

20130316_064625_zps674fc8b0.jpg

After some quick showers we were on the road well before CW even opened. I wanted to look around a bit, but I wanted to get going a little bit more. 

Breakfast consisted of whatever the wife could find at the truckstop while the truck's belly was filled.

I really enjoy the route down 231 and I 10. It never seems to be crowded, the road surface is nice, and it is just a pretty drive. We stopped for lunch a few miles before the I 75 junction and had a picnic at a rest area. 

It was another nice day.

[20130316_114835_zpsfdcbbdea.jpg

We spent about an hour here just relaxing, taking care of the baby, and our bellies. Miraculously, the next stop was actually WDW. The kids and myself did a good job of not drinking too much water or soda on the drive, so pit stops were minimal. I have to say it was one of the easiest drives with the kids so far.

What do we see here..

20130316_152134_zps6812838d.jpg

They were stoked

20130316_152147_zpscfd0bd41.jpg

I will admit that I did miscalculate fuel usage a bit (and the computer lied to me) so I buzzed over to the MK Hess with camper in tow just after going in the gate. I was so low I was afraid of running out going to the campsite :-(

Always a welcome sight

20130316_152437_zpsb195ec3f.jpg

We were quickly through the gate and given our site assignment....1710. I was pleased to see that 1710 was a nice big site that was easy to navigate and had room for the kids to play. Set up went pretty easy, as I have it down to a science now. 

Home

20130320_145555_zps4723e0e0.jpg

After the set up work was complete it was time for bike riding. I rigged up Bode's car seat in the bike trailer, and off we all went. I swear riding bikes with the kids around the Fort may just be my favorite thing to do at WDW.

Bode loved it.

20130316_165425_zpsde071d40.jpg

The girls are always down for a bike ride

20130316_175156_zpsf80cce6e.jpg

We ended the day with a GAG and some major relaxing. It may have been the best GAG ever....and we still had leftovers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone still read this tr? I've been too busy lately to work on it, but maybe tonight I can. Somehow my stuff doesn't generate much traffic :-\

Thanks!

I did not make the bed. I wish that I had the time and skill to do so, though. It is a CM bed (ER model). The newer ones have stainless fender flares and swing out doors, instead of swing down.

Off topic already but I have been following some of the bed builds on the Escapee forums on the class 8 trucks, you might want to see them.

Off topic already but I have been following some of the bed builds on the Escapee forums on the class 8 trucks, you might want to see them.

Cool....BTW, I edited my post. I was mistaken....it is a SK model not ER.

Awesome start to your trip.

How do you carry your bikes?

In the garage ;-)

20120419_191358-1.jpg

The off road club my son is involved with in Pa. has a National Enduro race this year in June, this will be the 1st national since he joined so it looks like we will be spending about 6 days there helping out.

Sounds like we were on the same roads at almost the same time.  I'll be interested in your take of the spring break crowds at WDW!

As vacation time approached it was looking more likely that we would be able to get away. We really needed a vacation to unwind. Since November we had been dealing with a myriad of issues with my grandparents, which really took a toll (and still does) on everyone. So some time off was very welcomed. Since my grandfather's condition was stable, my wife was able to get vacation, and the kids were cleared to take a week off before spring break by their teachers we loaded up the family truckster and made tracks. 

I know what you're talking about in hoping to get a trip together - it's hard when life throws serious curve balls at you and you don't know whether your plans, whatever they are, are going to work out.  So glad you had an opening and were able to get to the Fort!

20130316_152147_zpscfd0bd41.jpg

So cute!  Love this pic!

I'm in!

Cool...welcome

Holy cow!  Bode has GROWN since we saw you in October. 

Looking forward to more....

Yeah, he seems to eat everything in front of him. He's come a long ways since 5 lbs 16 oz

The off road club my son is involved with in Pa. has a National Enduro race this year in June, this will be the 1st national since he joined so it looks like we will be spending about 6 days there helping out.

I'm racing the TN national in a few weeks. I like it. I try to do a few enduros a year now-a-days. 

Ah, it was not obvious to me that it was a toy hauler.  They definitely have their good points don't they?

We love the TH. It would be very hard to go back to a regular camper.

Very cool!

Looking forward to more.

Thanks!

Sounds like we were on the same roads at almost the same time.  I'll be interested in your take of the spring break crowds at WDW!

I know what you're talking about in hoping to get a trip together - it's hard when life throws serious curve balls at you and you don't know whether your plans, whatever they are, are going to work out.  So glad you had an opening and were able to get to the Fort!

So cute!  Love this pic!

Thanks. It has been crazy lately. More so than I would like to put on the interwebz....it was nice to get a way for a bit. 

I didn't think the crowds were too bad. It was crowded, but not oppressive, IMO. We didn't wait more than 20 on anything. Of course, we FP'ed and simply tried to avoid peak times and crowds. 

I like your truck too!  Can't wait to read more!

Thanks. I normally have a RanchHand grill guard on it too, but I was testing it's effects on trans temp for this trip. 

I'm in!

Cool. I will be updating shortly. 

Sunday, 3/17

It is a MK day! We always start a first full day at WDW with a trip to the MK. The girls like it, we like it, and it just feels right. When we checked in the day before we were handed the little sheet with the park hours. It stated that the MK opened at 8 am. We decided to do rope drop this morning. It's usually pretty easy (for me anways) to get up and get going.

But this morning was a bit different. My wife and kids all sleep in a little longer than planned, plus getting packed up and to the Settlement took a little longer than planned. I decided that since we were late that I would pop in TE for some take out breakfast. I rode ahead on my bike a little faster than the rest of the crew and grabbed a six pack of sticky buns ( they were tasty too). We finally arrived at the dock about 830 and found a line of people waiting. 

We waited for at least 15 minutes before a boat pulled up. The deckhand announced that this was the first boat to the MK and apologized for being a bit late. I was thinking " a bit"? I'm glad we didn't get up on time. As we all snacked on sticky buns I was surprised to see a huge crowd at the MK gate. Then I realized that they were not letting anyone in! Turns out the schedule we were given was for the week prior, and we had inadvertently arrived just in time for rope drop! Score one for being fashionably late.   

After watching the opening show we made our way down Main Street, hung a right at the ice cream shop, and into TL. I had to grab some fastpasses for SM. Next we headed to the new Fantasyland. We were all very impressed with this new addition. We oooh'ed and ah'ed then headed to the Ariel ride, which was a walk on at the moment. 

The kids really enjoyed the ride, we decided to do the Ariel meet n greet. 

DSC_9365_zpsfd3ed070.jpg

Bode didn't quite know what to think about this

DSC_9367_zpsfd7c3064.jpg

After the meet n greet we cruised through Storybook Circus then off to Adventureland.

Please excuse the white legs.....it was the first time they had seen sun this year ;-)

20130317_104914_zps9af9d405.jpg

We rode POC, then went to BTMR. We rider swapped these types of rides, which was a huge plus for us. 

20130317_120624_zps42522a69.jpg

We had lunch at Pecos Bills, rode SM, and  then headed back to the Fort for some rest.

Back at the camper we chilled a bit. The kids and I rode bikes for a little while. We had some dinner and then it was back to the MK.

I can't remember exactly what we did that evening, but I know at some point we were on the Barnstormer, the Teacups, Buzz, IASW, and probably something else.

We finished it off when fireworks viewed from in front of the Crystal Palace.

Twas a good first day.

Some more images 

Mid day boat back to the Fort

20130322_123632_zpsc599ed54.jpg

20130317_123812_zps3b526189.jpg

This sums the girls up....one is fearless and the other is not so much

20130318_121555_zpsc55e7b20.jpg

Green bib for St Patty's day

20130317_120637_zps205f2456.jpg

Next up....AK

Tell me more about trans temps. I always wondered if the front replacement iron bumper on my old 6.0 was part of its power problem and bad mpg when towing.

I don't have any true results yet. 

I bought this truck used last summer. After finally getting the hitch and everything done (bulletproofing) I made one long tow with it before this trip. On our trip to Destin I noticed that the tranny cruising temps were running a lot higher than my previous F250. It would run 100 to 110 degrees above ambient when on the interstate with the converter locked. 

This truck was running 140-150 above. Luckily ambient was low enough for not to be an issue in January. As I dug into it I found that the stock cooler on this truck was missing, and a small tube and fin one was in its place. The tube and fin design is much less efficient than the stacked plate design of the stocker. I have been looking for a nice used stock cooler, but it the mean time I plumbed in a second larger tube and fin cooler in line with the existing one. I also replaced the spin on tranny filter and left the grill guard off for this trip. 

On this trip trans temps were back down to what I expected....mostly 105-110 above. I'm going to re-install the grill guard before our next trip to see if the differential changes. 

I don't have any true results yet. 

I bought this truck used last summer. After finally getting the hitch and everything done (bulletproofing) I made one long tow with it before this trip. On our trip to Destin I noticed that the tranny cruising temps were running a lot higher than my previous F250. It would run 100 to 110 degrees above ambient when on the interstate with the converter locked. 

This truck was running 140-150 above. Luckily ambient was low enough for not to be an issue in January. As I dug into it I found that the stock cooler on this truck was missing, and a small tube and fin one was in its place. The tube and fin design is much less efficient than the stacked plate design of the stocker. I have been looking for a nice used stock cooler, but it the mean time I plumbed in a second larger tube and fin cooler in line with the existing one. I also replaced the spin on tranny filter and left the grill guard off for this trip. 

On this trip trans temps were back down to what I expected....mostly 105-110 above. I'm going to re-install the grill guard before our next trip to see if the differential changes. 

Interesting. Great pics so far. You are really making me want to go back and we haven't even been back a month yet.