A list of things I now know about Auburn..

1.  Apparently it is in Alabama.  I didn't think enough people knew how to read in Alabama to require 2 colleges.

2.  You can make alot of $$$ playing football there.

3.  Their storage rooms are a mess.

4.  They make up alot of stupid stuff....i.e. "War Eagle"? or "War Damn Eagle" if you really want to sound ignorant?  Kissing in front of machinery that hasn't moved since 1870 and taking the fact that it still doesn't move as a sign that you should get "hitched" and move into the trailer park?  Stepping on a circle means you have to drink nasty pond water?  What the Fort?

5.  They enjoy vandalizing sick trees.

6.  They couldn't think of a decent mascot so they just went with the same one half of the other schools in the south did.

Let me know if there is anything else one should know about this prestigious institution.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TCD, congratulations to your daughter on her impeccable taste in graduate education facilities. :)   Some of the stories you were told either were wrong or have changed since I last heard them, though

Thanks everyone for the education on Auburn.   Congrats to the TCD girls, and may each choice made be all that they hope for.   The story about the oaks really does make me sad and is a commentary on

Not to be confused with ADHD.

Wait.  What was I saying?

LOL!

Very good.

According to some studies done, the trees were likely planted between 1937 and 1939, making them around 75 years old. 

I don't point this out to diminish the importance of the trees to the campus, but rather to suggest a hope that they can be replaced with new oaks that will be large and majestic in much less than 100 years.  Hopefully the children of current AU students will be celebrating football wins around new oak trees in the not too distant future. 

http://blog.al.com/montgomery/2012/01/toomers_oaks_may_be_60_years_y.html

I forgot to mention that there is going to be an announcement made tomorrow about what will replace the oaks when they are removed. 

Speculation is that there may be some kind of sculptures, or it may be new oaks.

1.  Apparently it is in Alabama.  I didn't think enough people knew how to read in Alabama to require 2 colleges.

4.  They make up alot of stupid stuff....i.e. "War Eagle"? or "War Damn Eagle" if you really want to sound ignorant?  Kissing in front of machinery that hasn't moved since 1870 and taking the fact that it still doesn't move as a sign that you should get "hitched" and move into the trailer park?  Stepping on a circle means you have to drink nasty pond water?  What the Fort?

6.  They couldn't think of a decent mascot so they just went with the same one half of the other schools in the south did.

Let me know if there is anything else one should know about this prestigious institution.

Very good.

You are asking for trouble from all the Auburn fans on this board.

I think you covered everything.  Thanks for the concise summary.  I will share it with my daughter.  It  will save her from having to do a lot of research.

The only thing you missed is that all the buildings on campus are named after Confederate Army officers.  The more Yankees they killed, the bigger the building.  At least that's how it seemed to me.

And yeah, there are a lot of schools with Tigers as their mascots. Three in the SEC west if you're counting.  But, even if it's not original, it's better than having your team named after a nut.

TCD

Oh, sorry.  Having a tree as your mascot makes much more sense that a poisonous nut. :rofl2:

TCD

I thought buckeyes were those chocolate covered peanut butter balls people make at Christmas time?  All this time, I was convinced the team was named after balls.   Balls.....Nuts......Tomato....Tomahto....

Yeah, SEC people can make fun of Auburn not knowing what their mascot is, but tree and nut people can't. Your list is funny though.

In all seriousness, it's a shame what that idiot did to their trees. I hope they replant them.

I was thinking about the Liberty Tree at MK.  There was just a story posted here on FF recently about the history of that tree.  It was transplanted from elsewhere on property at a large size, and part of another tree was even grafted onto it to fill it out more.  If you have enough money, large trees can be tranplanted and do well.  I imagine AU has a few bucks lying around in endowment funds.  Or there just may be a few alumns with a couple of bucks they could donate for this.  I don't think the school will need to plant little trees from Home Depot like you or I would put in our yards. 

Please take this statement back. Cam acted like a thug at Florida, and got what he deserved.

I guess you're right.  But, the sad fact is there were Gator players who did worse things (e.g domestic violence on a girlfriend) who were disciplined, but not kicked off the team.  Cam allegedly had a stolen laptop computer in his possession.  Stupid. Terrible.  But, grounds to kick him off the team?   It's sad to compare the severity of criminal offenses, but I still think he was sent packing because some ding dong wanted stinking John Brantley to replace Timmy.

Yeah, SEC people can make fun of Auburn not knowing what their mascot is, but tree and nut people can't. Your list is funny though.

In all seriousness, it's a shame what that idiot did to their trees. I hope they replant them.

There you go!  Defend the SEC!  Well done!

But, I like BFF.

Even if he is a tree worshiper.

TCD

TCD, congratulations to your daughter on her impeccable taste in graduate education facilities. :)

Some of the stories you were told either were wrong or have changed since I last heard them, though, and I would be remiss in my duties as An Insufferable Auburn Fan if I didn't elucidate:

The University Seal set in the concrete in front of Langdon Hall is not to be stepped on, true, but the consequences for doing so were that you would not graduate from Auburn if you did, and no amount of pond-water chugging would change the fact. 

The lathe, I was told, would rotate exactly once each time a virgin walked past it. (It has not moved since 1936.) You may have gotten the "Approved For Telling Prospective Students' Parents" version of the story, I suspect.

The reason that "AGRICULTURE" and "MECHANICS" are over the doors of Samford Hall is that before Auburn was known as Alabama Polytechnic Institute, it was Alabama Agricultural & Mechanical College. (It was never known as Alabama A&M, however.) Before that, it was founded as East Alabama Male College.

A personal note: My first college job was in the art department of the bookstore you visited there on Toomer's Corner.

The stadium looks smaller on the outside than it does from the inside, because it's built into a natural valley. Ground level outside the stadium is about at the level of the middle of the lower bowl.

Cliff Hare (the stadium was known as Cliff Hare Stadium until 1976) was a member of Auburn's very first football team, then became dean of the Chemistry department, and also served as the rough equivalent of Athletic Director at Auburn, as well as president of the Southern Conference (which later became the SEC.) Ralph "Shug" Jordan was Auburn's coach from the 50's to the mid-70's, and won Auburn's first National Championship in 1957.

Neither of them shot any Yankees, but then again, they never met BuckeyeFortFan. ;) Shug Jordan actually landed on Omaha beach on D-Day, does that count?

Actually, from what I can recall, there's not really that many buildings at Auburn named for Confederate veterans- most of them are either named for people in Alabama with a large amount of disposable income (the Lowder Business Building), or important names from Auburn history (All of the Hill dorms, for example, are named for the first women to graduate from Auburn (after it stopped being East Alabama Male College)).

Thanks everyone for the education on Auburn.   Congrats to the TCD girls, and may each choice made be all that they hope for.   The story about the oaks really does make me sad and is a commentary on our country.   What idiot regardless of their limited intelligence would destroy a tradition and such a majestic thing over a game..  They should keep him in prison....    It is times like this that I wish I had Bill Gates money...   Those trees would be down on Monday and 2 new ones as large as can be successfully transplanted would be there Tuesday.   That is in spite of the fact that if I had to root for a Tiger...  I would be a Clemson Fan....

Not trying to cause an argument, but,,,,,, in Illinois we would rather our family members went to prison than "The OHIO State".

I grew up in Ohio and lived there for all but 8 of my 42 years on this earth and am not a fan of The Ohio State either.  I know some very nice people who went to school there but do not like that school...so no arguments here.  8)

Woohoo!! War Eagle!!  Best place ever!  She will love it there and maybe I'll see you there one day!!

And just a little Auburn story from myself.  We went to the Homecoming game last year.  It was November 3rd.  We had talked about it for months what to do if it was too cold, etc.  It was 96 degrees that day.  We had on shorts and were sweating while looking at Christmas decorations in that very book store. 

And man that is some good lemonade!! 

Not trying to cause an argument, but,,,,,, in Illinois we would rather our family members went to prison than "The OHIO State".

LOL. The exagerated "the" always makes me laugh. The people who say that never realize how dumb they sound.

DD #1 shirt, Jersey throwback????

No. That is Seaside Florida. My second favorite place on earth.

TCD, congratulations to your daughter on her impeccable taste in graduate education facilities. :)

Some of the stories you were told either were wrong or have changed since I last heard them, though, and I would be remiss in my duties as An Insufferable Auburn Fan if I didn't elucidate:

The University Seal set in the concrete in front of Langdon Hall is not to be stepped on, true, but the consequences for doing so were that you would not graduate from Auburn if you did, and no amount of pond-water chugging would change the fact. 

The lathe, I was told, would rotate exactly once each time a virgin walked past it. (It has not moved since 1936.) You may have gotten the "Approved For Telling Prospective Students' Parents" version of the story, I suspect.

The reason that "AGRICULTURE" and "MECHANICS" are over the doors of Samford Hall is that before Auburn was known as Alabama Polytechnic Institute, it was Alabama Agricultural & Mechanical College. (It was never known as Alabama A&M, however.) Before that, it was founded as East Alabama Male College.

A personal note: My first college job was in the art department of the bookstore you visited there on Toomer's Corner.

The stadium looks smaller on the outside than it does from the inside, because it's built into a natural valley. Ground level outside the stadium is about at the level of the middle of the lower bowl.

Cliff Hare (the stadium was known as Cliff Hare Stadium until 1976) was a member of Auburn's very first football team, then became dean of the Chemistry department, and also served as the rough equivalent of Athletic Director at Auburn, as well as president of the Southern Conference (which later became the SEC.) Ralph "Shug" Jordan was Auburn's coach from the 50's to the mid-70's, and won Auburn's first National Championship in 1957.

Neither of them shot any Yankees, but then again, they never met BuckeyeFortFan. ;) Shug Jordan actually landed on Omaha beach on D-Day, does that count?

Actually, from what I can recall, there's not really that many buildings at Auburn named for Confederate veterans- most of them are either named for people in Alabama with a large amount of disposable income (the Lowder Business Building), or important names from Auburn history (All of the Hill dorms, for example, are named for the first women to graduate from Auburn (after it stopped being East Alabama Male College)).

Wow. Great post! I have a lot to learn.

The pond in question is located in an open area on campus which we were told was the original location of the football field.

LOL at the lathe story. There is a similar story about bricks falling off of Century Tower at UF.

LOL at BFF being target practice for a confederate general.

Great post!

Thanks everyone for the education on Auburn.   Congrats to the TCD girls, and may each choice made be all that they hope for.   The story about the oaks really does make me sad and is a commentary on our country.   What idiot regardless of their limited intelligence would destroy a tradition and such a majestic thing over a game..  They should keep him in prison....    It is times like this that I wish I had Bill Gates money...   Those trees would be down on Monday and 2 new ones as large as can be successfully transplanted would be there Tuesday.   That is in spite of the fact that if I had to root for a Tiger...  I would be a Clemson Fan....

Great post! Yes it is a sad commentary on our society. And the DB who did it was a former Alabama State Trooper.

The chocolate/peanut butter buckeyes my DW makes are awesome.

The person who poisoned the trees SMB.

I am pro non-poisonous buckeyes too. And anti-tree poisoning.

Woohoo!! War Eagle!!  Best place ever!  She will love it there and maybe I'll see you there one day!!

And just a little Auburn story from myself.  We went to the Homecoming game last year.  It was November 3rd.  We had talked about it for months what to do if it was too cold, etc.  It was 96 degrees that day.  We had on shorts and were sweating while looking at Christmas decorations in that very book store. 

And man that is some good lemonade!!

Great story.

One thing I forgot to mention was how nice everyone in Alabama was. It was really amazing. Everyone had manners and was polite. My daughter said the nice people in Auburn was one of hibernate major reasons she chose that school.

TCD

The pond you were referring to is not the infamous chemistry pond is it?  (located behind Samford Hall)  If it is, I can tell you that it does turn into Jello very easily, however the carp that reside there do not survive the transition on cold winter days.  Someone in my family who shall remain nameless successfully turned this pond into Jello as a fraternal prank in the 1960's.  (I saw the pictures.)

Chris is going to A-Day tomorrow, something I really would have loved to go to since it is the last time Toomer's will be rolled and the no-so-beautiful oaks will be seen before they are cut down.  I told him he HAS to take lots of pictures.  FCAT is keeping me here, otherwise we would have (the whole family that is left here, parents and CJ and me) would have come up and seen the oaks one last time.  I have so many memories and the fact we got to play "War Eagle" under those trees will be something that stays with me forever.

Damn that man.

TDC

Attached is a link to a story about Tiger. She had to have cataract surgery. She was War Eagle VI. I got to meet her on a campus tour in 1986 just before her maiden flight. My Mother is an Alabama native and it is mandatory that Auburn is visited by all of the college bound family members. I would say for the last two generations about 50% are Auburn grads.  

The 1986 grad,like her Mom, chose The Ohio State.  

http://www.wareagleextra.com/2013/01/28/war-eagle-vi-tiger-gets-her-eagle-eye-back/

Also, you probably didn't know this either, but I am very proud of Tiger VI and her history.  My dad was instrumental in getting her to Auburn.  Our family was very close to Tiger when she was cared for by Alpha Phi Omega fraternity.

I do think it is safe to mention that the admins are Auburn Alumni.  ;)

The pond you were referring to is not the infamous chemistry pond is it?  (located behind Samford Hall)  If it is, I can tell you that it does turn into Jello very easily, however the carp that reside there do not survive the transition on cold winter days.  Someone in my family who shall remain nameless successfully turned this pond into Jello as a fraternal prank in the 1960's.  (I saw the pictures.)

Chris is going to A-Day tomorrow, something I really would have loved to go to since it is the last time Toomer's will be rolled and the no-so-beautiful oaks will be seen before they are cut down.  I told him he HAS to take lots of pictures.  FCAT is keeping me here, otherwise we would have (the whole family that is left here, parents and CJ and me) would have come up and seen the oaks one last time.  I have so many memories and the fact we got to play "War Eagle" under those trees will be something that stays with me forever.

Damn that man.

Yes I think that is the pond. Josh told us that there were carp in it but I didn't see any. Unless there is another pond, he said Auburn's original football field was located here.

I am glad Chris gets to go to the spring football game. Sorry you are stuck in Florida. Like you said, though, you have your memories. The trees will be gone, but that corner of campus will always be there.

War Eagle.

TCD

Yes I think that is the pond. Josh told us that there were carp in it but I didn't see any. Unless there is another pond, he said Auburn's original football field was located here.

I am glad Chris gets to go to the spring football game. Sorry you are stuck in Florida. Like you said, though, you have your memories. The trees will be gone, but that corner of campus will always be there.

War Eagle.

TCD

The pond usually has so many lillies in it that the carp can hide.  I found them rarely, but did not repeat past family pranks.  I had my own things I did, lol.

The pond in question is located in an open area on campus which we were told was the original location of the football field.

TCD

By process of elimination, that's the pond in the open square directly behind Samford Hall, from the perspective of your photo. It's not really a "pond," it's a 10x20 foot rectangle of water. Occasionally, there are fish in it.

In ancient times, AuburnJen's dad and his fraternity cohorts might have dumped a case of Jello in that pond during a cold winter's night, and the entire thing set solid. The fish were briefly surprised.

Edit: And I'm beaten like Auburn in 2012.