Big Green Egg Pood Forn

We've had one for about a year. I decided the aluminum cart with built in cabinets was the best one to last. My friends think I'm a bbq master but really I just rub the butts pretty much. We've done pizzas as well and they're great. It's really hard to go out for bbq now because I critique the food and I'm like meh, it's ok but I can do better. A friend of mine and her brother are egg competition cookers. She's even got a controller that's hooked up to wifi to adjust the temp from her phone. Her brother is sponsored and has five of the large eggs on a trailer. Dambnest thing I've ever seen.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A happy 40 year old got his second Big Green Egg today. All he has to do is cut out a circle on the right side to complete his double table. (large on the left, medium on the right). The medium is lig

Any guesses for what's about to happen?

17 hours ago, stacktester said:

We've had one for about a year. I decided the aluminum cart with built in cabinets was the best one to last. My friends think I'm a bbq master but really I just rub the butts pretty much. We've done pizzas as well and they're great. It's really hard to go out for bbq now because I critique the food and I'm like meh, it's ok but I can do better. A friend of mine and her brother are egg competition cookers. She's even got a controller that's hooked up to wifi to adjust the temp from her phone. Her brother is sponsored and has five of the large eggs on a trailer. Dambnest thing I've ever seen.

A trailer of BGEs? Nice! 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Turbo is wrapping in foil. Right?

No.  Wrapping in foil is called crutching and helps you get through the stall the meat goes through as it breaks down between 170 - 195ish.  Turbo is cooking it at or right around 350 degrees.  The idea is to speed up the process of cooking so it does not take 12 - 18 hours to cook a pork butt.

I have not done the turbo pork butt yet on the egg, but find the best route for me is to cook it with a dome temp around 275 degrees.  I let it cook at least  6 hours and must have the internal temp to at least 165 - 170.  When I hit that mark I wrap the pork butt in tinfoil to finish cooking.  Once it hits 195 internal temp I start checking the tenderness by pulling on the bone.  Once the bone pulls out easy and clean I foil again, wrap in a towel and put in a cooler for at leat 1 hour to rest.

Using this method I cooked a 6.5 # butt this weekend and it took right at 8.5 hours of cook time.  The only downfall some people have with the foil method is that the "bark" does get soft, but I am not a huge fan of the hard bark on the pork butt.   

5 minutes ago, weekender said:

No.  Wrapping in foil is called crutching and helps you get through the stall the meat goes through as it breaks down between 170 - 195ish.  Turbo is cooking it at or right around 350 degrees.  The idea is to speed up the process of cooking so it does not take 12 - 18 hours to cook a pork butt.

I have not done the turbo pork butt yet on the egg, but find the best route for me is to cook it with a dome temp around 275 degrees.  I let it cook at least  6 hours and must have the internal temp to at least 165 - 170.  When I hit that mark I wrap the pork butt in tinfoil to finish cooking.  Once it hits 195 internal temp I start checking the tenderness by pulling on the bone.  Once the bone pulls out easy and clean I foil again, wrap in a towel and put in a cooler for at leat 1 hour to rest.

Using this method I cooked a 6.5 # butt this weekend and it took right at 8.5 hours of cook time.  The only downfall some people have with the foil method is that the "bark" does get soft, but I am not a huge fan of the hard bark on the pork butt.   

Sounds like a good way, but I don't have a BGE, just an electric smoker. I think the hottest the electric smoker can get is about 260 degrees.  I'll have to check the manual, I just picked up a used one last night to replace mine that finally burned out.

Does the BGE have a similar recipe for ribs like a regular smoker does... the 3-2-1 method?

3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil with some liquid in it... beer, apple juice, etc. then unwrapped for the last hour.  Darn good ribs.

Why do I look at this thread when I'm already hungry??

On 2/11/2016 at 7:54 AM, Travisma said:

" I just rub the butts pretty much"

Careful now, this is a family forum! :lol:'

Where's a tag fairy when you need them?  LOL!

22 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Threw a butt on this weekend and turbo'd it to be different. Outcome was great and wont hesitate to use it that method again if needed.

F40BB174-0B2E-4DAD-8FCA-5586DDA36D01_zps

Whoa - that looks pretty amazing.

2 hours ago, weekender said:

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil with some liquid in it... beer, apple juice, etc. then unwrapped for the last hour.  Darn good ribs.

And once again I've learned some very valuable information here!!

4 hours ago, weekender said:

Turbo is cooking it at or right around 350 degrees.  The idea is to speed up the process of cooking so it does not take 12 - 18 hours to cook a pork butt.

Yep. I ran mine around 300ish and that 8lbs of pork goodness (pre cook weight of course) took just a little more than 8 hours. I figure for this method I can plan about an hour per pound on cooking. The last 8(ish) pound butt I did "low and slow" took about 17 hours, closer to 2 hours per pound. There was honestly no difference in taste between a low and slow and a turbo'd butt.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

Does the BGE have a similar recipe for ribs like a regular smoker does... the 3-2-1 method?

I used to do 3-2-1 for baby backs but the last few batches I have done have just been about 4 hours unwrapped. I have done them that way mainly cause I was lazy and didn't want to fool with foiling and adding all the extras in the foil.

3 minutes ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

I used to do 3-2-1 for baby backs but the last few batches I have done have just been about 4 hours unwrapped. I have done them that way mainly cause I was lazy and didn't want to fool with foiling and adding all the extras in the foil.

I usually do country style pork ribs, so they take a little longer if I don't do the 3-2-1.

The Turbo method is what I know as smoke roasting. No BGE yet so I just use a standard large covered grill when I  am too lazy to hall out the smoker. I frequently use smoke roasting for whole chickens or pork loin roasts that I have brined. Using indirect cooking I usually start at about 350 and then let it reduce in temperature to about 300-325 for the remainder of the cooking time. I use the same method for my turkey pastrami. I have found it takes  a touch more time than it would in the oven this way but you still get a good smoke flavor and ring. The key is the brining. Without it you will end up with a dry product and the smoke won't permeate as well.

I have never wrapped my ribs. I use indirect heat around 275-300 and after the initial smoking I stack them, rotating them occasionally. This helps slow the cooking process some and they more or less self baste. If I am going to sauce them, yes sacrilege to some, I unstack them and sauce to finish them off. 

20 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

DH and I were in an Ace Hardware yesterday and noticed several sizes of BGEs there.  Didn't check prices.

Were they real ones, or a similar type.  Friend of mine got one of the pretender types from an Ace here at a great close out price.  They weren't carrying them anymore and had it sitting in a back corner.

Sam's has a nice one with a stand, I think it's around $600.

Our Ace Hardware carries the real ones. I haven't looked lately but last season they also had a few other brands of ceramic cookers.

In reality even the BGE is a pretender. They are all knock offs of the US designed Kamado grill from the 1960's which is itself an adaptation of a Japanese ceremonial rice cooker. I recall back in the 80's a California company that was making Kamado cookers and tiled them such that they were as much a piece of art as cooking tool. The style was a bit different but here is a picture of a current company doing the same thing.

KamadoGrapesDesign-682x1024.jpg

I finally convinced hubby last fall to get one of the metal eggs at Lowes - on sale and with our military discount, the price was about a third of one of the ceramic versions.  So far we love it - so much in fact we gave the gas grill to our son last week!

I didn't take any pics (shame on me, I know) but we did a Prime Rib on Saturday.  Started out at 450, then took the grill temp down to about 350 to cook.  I'm not really a prime rib fan, but I must admit it was the best I've ever tasted.  Threw together a rub with olive oil, garlic, thyme, rosemary and some Brick Oven rub.  Took about 2 hours to cook.

We've got an 8-lb butt in the freezer that's our next big project.  Just need a weekend when we can get together with the kids to help eat it.

6 hours ago, Dalspot ... Karen said:

I finally convinced hubby last fall to get one of the metal eggs at Lowes - on sale and with our military discount, the price was about a third of one of the ceramic versions.  So far we love it - so much in fact we gave the gas grill to our son last week!

I didn't take any pics (shame on me, I know) but we did a Prime Rib on Saturday.  Started out at 450, then took the grill temp down to about 350 to cook.  I'm not really a prime rib fan, but I must admit it was the best I've ever tasted.  Threw together a rub with olive oil, garlic, thyme, rosemary and some Brick Oven rub.  Took about 2 hours to cook.

We've got an 8-lb butt in the freezer that's our next big project.  Just need a weekend when we can get together with the kids to help eat it.

Remember we are less then a 15 minute drive away......just saying!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tonight Jason made spatchcock chicken, which may or may not make it through the filter. It's basically where you cut the backbone out of the whole chicken and lay it flat on the grill. Here are some directions.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Jason put slices of garlic under the skin and seasoned it with some rub. It turns out sooooooooooo juicy! 

Here it is cooking.

4DB586E2-837C-43A1-B7A9-02667A8EC803.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...