I don't understand why the dining plan is so popular....

As my signature says and many of you know, my next trip to Disney will be at the Poly and not in our RV. I haven't been to Disney that way since July of 2009, so I'm a little concerned about not having a kitchen. I've known that in recent years the dining plan isn't a great deal, but I decided to look at it anyway. I ran some numbers, and even with some splurge meals, we'd pay hundreds more using the dining plan. I don't get why it's so popular. When I was a kid, it seemed like a great deal. We got appetizers, etc., but in its current form, it seems like a huge rip-off unless you only go to the most expensive restaurants and order the most expensive thing every time. Personally, I like steak but not for EVERY TS meal.

Can anyone sell me on the dining plan being a value? Am I missing something?

The ONLY time the dining plan is a value for us is when they offer Free Dining in Value Season, and we stay in a Value Resort with another couple, AND we need tickets anyway.

One Value Resort room divided in half, even at Rack Rate, is not bad, then you add the dining to it, and it works.  We do that every once in awhile for a long weekend, (maybe 4 nights).  We actually do one signature meal, then 2 more sit downs, then spread the counter service and snacks around whenever.

Having said that, we probably won't do it anymore, but we have done it in the past.

It is popular because Disney has successfully brainwashed the masses into believing it is so. And there is no such thing as a free dining plan.

I make ADRs because we travel during busy times, but I also cancel them when we don't feel like going or feel like we've just eaten too much for a big meal. With the dining plan, you have to worry about where to use that credit later. That's another downside for us, but people love it for some reason.

For us eating is part of the trip. We like planning around the meals. We don't always get the dining plan but a big part of why we do is they are prepaid and therefor one less thing to think about while on vaca.

I get that eating is part of the trip, and we definitely make ADRs and plan around/look forward to meals.

If you pay me $100, I'll go and put that dining plan money on a Disney gift card for you. You can prepay, and if you don't use all the money (and you won't) you can use it to buy other stuff. (OK, or you could get your own gift card, but I'm trying to make it convenient for you.)

We've used it before when we knew we were going to splurged on food. It worked out great and saved us money only because we ate at the expensive restaurants and I ordered the most expensive items on the menu. I.e. steak. Also, i really planned out where we were going to eat to maximize our meal plan dollars. Another time it worked for us is when my FIL was with us and he was in another reservation. We paid for several of his CS meals and a few TS meals. It worked great with the amount of food you get. All that being said its kind of a pain in the rear to have to plan that much and have to eat at only the high end restaraunts. You don't want to "waste" a TS credit on a lite meal because you ate to much at lunch.

We only do it when it's free. We stay value, and 2 of the times Adam was under 3 so it worked out great at the buffets.

For us, staying at a value resort with free dining was a better deal than the small amount of money the room only discount would have been. We do upgrade to get the one table service meal a day because it works out better for Adam and food allergies, and I like to be waited on once in a while.

I would never pay for the dining plan. We don't normally ever order desserts, especially with counter service. Plus we don't normally do a sit down every day. When its free dining if I don't eat much, I don't feel like I'm losing money, but if I paid for it and wasn't hungry, that would suck.

I get that eating is part of the trip, and we definitely make ADRs and plan around/look forward to meals.

If you pay me $100, I'll go and put that dining plan money on a Disney gift card for you. You can prepay, and if you don't use all the money (and you won't) you can use it to buy other stuff. (OK, or you could get your own gift card, but I'm trying to make it convenient for you.)

But we actually eat what they offer on the dining plan. We always like to try the different desserts down there. I have done the math and we do actually come out slightly ahead on the dining plan. When we choose to get it anyway. This time I have an AP and a Tables in Wonderland Card so we will be using that instead and that will probably save us more money but I dont always have an AP.

You make a good point, we're not really dessert people. That makes a big difference. We sometimes split one for the family after a TS meal, but there is no way I'd ever get on at a CS meal. Now if they start giving out salted caramels as a CS dessert, I'm IN!

I'm jealous of the TIW card and wish I could get one.

Kelly, if I'm not mistaken, anyone can get a TIW card. It just costs more if you aren't an AP holder.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, Tables in Wonderland is for AP Holders and Florida Residents.  AP Holders get it cheaper, but there are Florida residents that purchase it and don't have an AP.  They pay the higher price.