From WDWMagic...

Premium Parking coming to Walt Disney World's parking lots?

58 minutes ago in "Magic Kingdom"

It looks like guests will soon be able to pay a premium to park their car in special lots.

Located at the front of the parking lot closest to the main entrances, premium parking will begin testing soon. It is speculated that the cost to park in a premium lot will be $15, in addition to the existing $20 parking fee.

Although all parking lots are within walking distance to the main entrances, some can be a 15 minute walk, and many guests prefer to use the tram service. The new premium locations put the walking time within just a few minutes.

Disney has in the past offered premium parking for AAA members and Disney Dining Experience members. Both were eventually discontinued.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/news/10mar2016-premium-parking-coming-to-walt-disney-worlds-parking-lots.htm

Can you imagine the parking attendants trying to figure out who goes where?  There are so many cars coming in and out of these places and nothing to identify you as annual pass.  They would have to make something to go in your car to show the premium.  It seems like it would case confusion.  I would consider limo service.  Wonder how much that would cost :)

They used to have "preferred" (or whatever they called it) parking for AAA.  They handled it at the parking toll by telling you which colored line to follow.  Nobody ever checked for anything once you got down to that area.  I'm assuming since people will be paying for this, that part will change.

Although if that's the area they're going to use, it's not all it's cracked up to be.  We parked in the AAA spots at Epcot a couple of times and unless you were all the way over on the park entrance side, you had a longer walk to the gate than if you'd parked further back and took the tram.

I can't imagine them being closer than the handicap areas and I wouldn't pay to park in any of them. Especially the MK I'd rather park farther back and take the tram (well I'd really rather just take the boat from the Fort).

Sounds like people who don't pay an extra 15.00 will end up parking further out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmm I got to thinking (can be a dangerous thing for me to do) I wonder if pass holders will be able to just pay 15.00 for premium parking then since free parking is included in a lot of the passes or resort guests driving to the parks?

Not that I would, I'd walk or tram before I'd pay to park closer. But just a thought I had.

5 hours ago, FEARtheEERS said:

Can you imagine the parking attendants trying to figure out who goes where?  There are so many cars coming in and out of these places and nothing to identify you as annual pass.  They would have to make something to go in your car to show the premium.  It seems like it would case confusion.  I would consider limo service.  Wonder how much that would cost :)

Busch and SeaWorld for preferred parking give you a colored hang tag, and have you put on your flashers.  When you get close to the lane going to preferred the lot attendants wave you thru.

All the theme parks around here offer better parking for an upcharge and most don't offer trams (but we aren't talking lots the size of Disney either.) sesame place had the worst parking lot ever (nothing but pot holes). 

Try parking at adventure island in Tampa it's the only place in the area with hills, probably old sink holes.

10 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I'm really trying not to be negative here but this is greed inspiring laziness at its best. I am not trying to trash Walt Disney World just not sure what they're thinking I still really like the place.

Hmmm... never really thought of it like that, simply because there is SO much walking at WDW so parking up close does not seem lazy to me :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, FEARtheEERS said:

We usually skip the tram and walk.  Mostly because we have a stroller and it's a bear to hold onto that and 3 little sets of hands.  If you don't try to rush, I don't think the walk in is bad at any of the lots.  The only thing that kicks my tail is the incline to get on the monorails. 

That's us too.  Well... actually, I usually walk as all the walking already kills my husband's back so a lot of the times he'll take the kids on the tram (which they love) and I'll push the stroller in  :)  

3 minutes ago, keith_h said:

We've never really cared where we park. As our luck always has us waiting for a tram longer than it would take to walk to the entrance or our car we typically walk. We will be putting in lots of miles that day anyway so what another 1/4 to 1/2 mile? 

That, and the 20 minute wait for the 30 announcements not to cross the line, the tram is full, don't jump off while the tram is in motion, etc. and all the door checks.  It's quicker to walk from the Fort to the MK than take the tram! :lol:

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That, and the 20 minute wait for the 30 announcements not to cross the line, the tram is full, don't jump off while the tram is in motion, etc. and all the door checks.  It's quicker to walk from the Fort to the MK than take the tram! :lol:

Yep...  When I walk and they take a tram in, I usually beat Tom and the kids :)

Went to Universal on Tuesday to see Star Wars in 3D. Won't bore you with the details of why we couldn't go to Disney Springs and get free parking. We had to pay $20 to park in the Universal parking garage and the attendant offered us Premium Parking on the first floor for "only $10 more".  Looks like Disney would be late coming to the Premium Parking game.  I read the Disney may also start charging a $15/night resort fee to cover things like the Magical Express, Magic Bands, wifi, hotel parking, and other things that have until now been included with your room fee.  It's just sad.   :(

17 minutes ago, ceemike...Mike & Judy said:

Went to Universal on Tuesday to see Star Wars in 3D. Won't bore you with the details of why we couldn't go to Disney Springs and get free parking. We had to pay $20 to park in the Universal parking garage and the attendant offered us Premium Parking on the first floor for "only $10 more".  Looks like Disney would be late coming to the Premium Parking game.  I read the Disney may also start charging a $15/night resort fee to cover things like the Magical Express, Magic Bands, wifi, hotel parking, and other things that have until now been included with your room fee.  It's just sad.   :(

Yes, that discussion is over here. http://www.fortfiends.net/topic/17174-resort-fees-surveys-being-conducted/#comment-480226

Best Regards,

Norm

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

It sounds like a lot of these new fees Disney is at least considering are pretty common elsewhere and they're just now jumping on the bandwagon.  Unfortunate but I guess not too surprising.

But Disney has been popular because they didn't hit you up for those fees.  Even without them, they are making $$ hand over fist.

Die hard Disney fanatics and people that are making a once every few years trip will still pay the piper.

Local and frequent visitors may start balking at some of these new and increased fees.

I've spoken to a lot of people in the past and one of the reasons they stayed on property was the lack of resort/parking fees.  They felt it made it more affordable than staying off property.

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But Disney has been popular because they didn't hit you up for those fees. 

True, but with attendance apparently going up and up despite regular price increases to room rates/tickets, I suppose it was just a matter of time before they jumped on the "fees for everything" bandwagon.  :(