That's weird.

After reading this thread, I tried to find a reason to why some get attacked by these yellow flies while others don't even get bothered.

I could not find anything. But I did find this....

It is recommended by Orange and Lake County pest control authorities. Though the trap is a pretty new idea, it's not exactly high-tech.

Here's the formula:

Go to a local discount store and buy a cheap, inflatable beach ball and a can of glossy black spray paint. The Sentinel - at great expense - purchased the ball for $3.99 at Target and the paint for $1.29 at Scotty's.

Step 2: Buy goo.

This is the hard part. Cilek recommends something called Tangle-Trap Insect Trap Coating, manufactured by the Tanglefoot Co., Grand Rapids, Mich. The cost is $4.95 for an 8-ounce jar, which comes with an applicator. This stuff can be tough to find.

''We've been selling a lot of it recently,'' Karen Shirley, a Tanglefoot spokesman, said apologetically. The closest wholesaler is in Lakeland, she said.

If you can't find the Tanglefoot product, substitute another insect trap coating. After you locate sticky stuff, blow up the ball, spray on the paint, and - after it dries - hang the ball from a post or a tree limb about chest-high.

Step 4: Slop on the goo.

Presto. You've got a giant fly trap.

This is not a joke. The idea was developed by Cilek, who holds a genuine doctorate degree in bugs. He realized that a similar device used to collect and count deerflies, a yellow fly cousin, could be used as a yellow fly killer.

The theory is that the fly mistakes the swaying ball for the shadow of a person and gets permanently stuck.

Interesting!  But worth a try for bug magnets like me!  I had some fly paper in the camper at one point from when we camped in PA one summer and the house flies were awful.  I wonder if that would wrap around the beach ball?

I have noticed a pattern on here that those of us who are prone to getting bit are women.  So it HAS to be the flies are attracted to sweet, soft humans.  And they don't have to burrow under all that hair that men have on their arms and legs to get to the skin.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great to have a Fiend on the scene.   For the Yellow Fly test, please sit on the 1600 loop from 7:30 to 8:30 pm tonight and report back on how many bites you receive.   You have to go out to the swamp

Whatever works... I'll take this thread as a sign to stop shaving my legs and drink a lot more just to be sure :fly-swat: .

Yes they are in the 200 loop too. He posed for his picture, then was smacked down...

That's weird.

After reading this thread, I tried to find a reason to why some get attacked by these yellow flies while others don't even get bothered.

I could not find anything. But I did find this....

It is recommended by Orange and Lake County pest control authorities. Though the trap is a pretty new idea, it's not exactly high-tech.

Here's the formula:

Go to a local discount store and buy a cheap, inflatable beach ball and a can of glossy black spray paint. The Sentinel - at great expense - purchased the ball for $3.99 at Target and the paint for $1.29 at Scotty's.

Step 2: Buy goo.

This is the hard part. Cilek recommends something called Tangle-Trap Insect Trap Coating, manufactured by the Tanglefoot Co., Grand Rapids, Mich. The cost is $4.95 for an 8-ounce jar, which comes with an applicator. This stuff can be tough to find.

''We've been selling a lot of it recently,'' Karen Shirley, a Tanglefoot spokesman, said apologetically. The closest wholesaler is in Lakeland, she said.

If you can't find the Tanglefoot product, substitute another insect trap coating. After you locate sticky stuff, blow up the ball, spray on the paint, and - after it dries - hang the ball from a post or a tree limb about chest-high.

Step 4: Slop on the goo.

Presto. You've got a giant fly trap.

This is not a joke. The idea was developed by Cilek, who holds a genuine doctorate degree in bugs. He realized that a similar device used to collect and count deerflies, a yellow fly cousin, could be used as a yellow fly killer.

The theory is that the fly mistakes the swaying ball for the shadow of a person and gets permanently stuck.

This works.  It was the only way I survived a couple of years ago when they were so bad.  They think I am prime rib.

How long do the love bugs last?  We'll be arriving at the Fort on June 7th.  I've got the front of the trailer all waxed up.  Are there places near the fort to wash it?

I'm in northeast FL and they seem to come in waves, right now they've subsided a bit.  I'd ask again in a week.

Apparently it is OK to wash your RV at your site now so just bring a bucket and scrub brush!

Interesting!  But worth a try for bug magnets like me!  I had some fly paper in the camper at one point from when we camped in PA one summer and the house flies were awful.  I wonder if that would wrap around the beach ball?

I have noticed a pattern on here that those of us who are prone to getting bit are women.  So it HAS to be the flies are attracted to sweet, soft humans.  And they don't have to burrow under all that hair that men have on their arms and legs to get to the skin.

Sil and I are the flaw in your theory. Sil is almost never getting bitten where as I am a full buffet for bugs bites. 

Hmmm.

Then what about if it's drinking beer that keeps the yellow flies away?

How much beer do you drink?

TCD

Clearly I need to up my drinking then. I usually only have 1 or 2 a month. While Silvia drinks wine and/or other mixed drinks at least once a day. 

Clearly I need to up my drinking then. I usually only have 1 or 2 a month. While Silvia drinks wine and/or other mixed drinks at least once a day. 

Well, there you have it.

I know it's not hair that keeps them away, because the poor TCD dog, Rocky, gets bit up by yellow flies.

It's the alcohol that keeps them away.

Drink up!

TCD

Whatever works... I'll take this thread as a sign to stop shaving my legs and drink a lot more just to be sure :fly-swat: .

Well, there you have it.

I know it's not hair that keeps them away, because the poor TCD dog, Rocky, gets bit up by yellow flies.

It's the alcohol that keeps them away.

Drink up!

TCD

I pretty much bust that theory, sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the Fort over Memorial Day weekend, from May 24- May 27.  I saw two yellow flies the entire time.  They came out at dusk.  Otherwise, no insects- didn't see a single mosquito.

Hopefully, Devores will chime in with some up-to-date information.  We discussed this while I was there, and he has not noticed a yellow fly problem.

Also, I've made a couple of round trips to and from WDW from west central Florida, traveling the entire length of I-4 from Tampa to WDW, and no love bugs at all in May or June.  None.  I did notice some RV's and trailers with love bugs smashed on them over Memorial Day weekend, but not many.  I'm not sure if those folks traveled to the Fort from the north or south.  I suspect they came from the south, as I have made a couple of long trips all the way up and down the west coast of Florida in the past few months, and had no love bug encounters.

TCD

Love bugs are gone.  Yellow flies I haven't seen lately at the Fort. One thing to keep an eye out for are the Mega mosquitoes that are already in Seminole County.   Expected to spread throughout central Florida.  All I can say is lay in a supply of a DEET product.  20 times the size of a normal mosquito and biters, even through clothing.  I chuckled when the articles in the news said they feel like a small bird landing on you....lol.
There is a lot of standing water in the Fort now.  Many sites are surrounded on 3 sides by water.  Perfect for mosquitoes.   Hopefully the Fort is spraying regularly again.

Check out the article  http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/10/monster-mosquitoes-emerge-in-central-florida/

We have actually had yellow flies down here on the East Coast this year.  I about fell out of my driver's seat at my son's school when one flew in the car and started after me after I dropped him off at school.  I promptly pulled over, got out of the car, let the little blood sucker chase me out of the car and slammed the door on her.  I was in no mood for welts.

I'm pretty sure that the yellow flies are hanging around outside my RV door waiting for me to come out because every time I try to sit out under the awning, the flies appear.  I got 5 new bites today...in the middle of the day.  I did manage to swat one of those nasty little suckers out of the air.  It was stunned and dropped to the ground and I finished it off.  I will have welts from those bites for the rest of the summer.  I think I must be allergic to them. 

• 2 weeks later...