First Time RVer's at Fort Wilderness with lots of questions

Hi all,

My daughter's begged for a camping trip to Disney for their graduations (two from high school and the other from 1st grade) and well they got it. Now I am so overwhelmed with what to bring and what not to bring. We are renting from Meacham's RV's and have the fort wilderness package.

Can anyone help me with the must brings?  We are driving from NY. at the fort  July 6th - July 13th

We are planning on at least one if not more meals in the RV per day.

How clean our the comfort stations (having two 18 year old girls I told them if they want long showers it will be in the comfort stations)

How much are the laundry machines? for towels and things like that.

What are the insect/ lizard concerns at that time of year?

What loop should I request?

Any concerns with leaving money or valuables in the RV or car?

What is the internet/ cell phone coverage like?

How far to the local supermarket?

We already have our tickets and dinning reservations set. The girls were very specific about their wants LOL

I love sitting outside with a cup of coffee late at night. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I am sure that I will have a million more questions but there are the ones I'm thinking of at the moment.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Can't wait to get to the fort!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, the squirrels are not the worst thieves as far as food. If you leave your crockpot out and I am around, I will be your greatest concern.

Kungaloosh : 1/4 cup orange juice 1/4 cup Captain Morgans spiced rum 1/4 cup raspberry brandy 1/4 cup strawberry daiquiri mix Mix toge

I use the candles, but they don't do much. The Off Lanterns that Jason mentioned are absolutely fantastic.

Washers and dryers are expensive. You can save by bringing your own detergent. Change machines are available. I think a wash is a couple bucks

Comfort stations are among the cleanest in the industry.

Your're worried about lizards? Really? The anoles are all over the place. As are bugs. It's Florida. They do spray at the Fort and that keeps the mosquitoes pretty well controlled.

While I have never had anything stolen, I would not leave anything about that was of such value that I could not afford to lose it.

I had t mobile once. Coverage sucked. I have Verizon now. Much better. Still some dead spots.

We go to Publix when we get there. It is a 10 minute drive.

Loop requests depend on what you want. Close to Marina? Close to Meadows? Pets? Full hookup, preferred or premium?

null.jpg

Hi all,

My daughter's begged for a camping trip to Disney for their graduations (two from high school and the other from 1st grade) and well they got it. Now I am so overwhelmed with what to bring and what not to bring. We are renting from Meacham's RV's and have the fort wilderness package.

Can anyone help me with the must brings?  We are driving from NY. at the fort  July 6th - July 13th

We are planning on at least one if not more meals in the RV per day.

How clean our the comfort stations (having two 18 year old girls I told them if they want long showers it will be in the comfort stations)

The comfort stations are CLEAN.  No issues there!

How much are the laundry machines? for towels and things like that.

$2.00 for wash and $2.00 for dry. Bring your own soap, dryer sheets, it's expensive in the dispenser.

What are the insect/ lizard concerns at that time of year?

Bring some insect repellent, but no more than anywhere else.  The lizards there are tiny, and cute to watch.

What loop should I request?

That depends on what level of campsite you booked.  Did you book premium, preferred, or full? You mentioned using the comfort stations. If you booked premium, note that the 600 and 700 loop does NOT have it's own comfort station.  Do you want to be near the main pool, or closer to the marina?  Do you have pets?

Any concerns with leaving money or valuables in the RV or car?

As long as you lock it and keep it out of site, you should be fine.  Also leaving chairs and towels out even when gone is fine.

What is the internet/ cell phone coverage like?

Cell phone coverage is fine for all the major carriers.  There is no WiFi at the individual campsites at the Fort, but you can check out a cable modem (for a refundable deposit of $125) and get wired internet at your campsite for free.  There is WiFi at both trading post porches, the porch at Pioneer Hall, and the Outpost Checkin building. There is WiFi in the parks for those handy Theme Park apps.

How far to the local supermarket?

Within 5-10 miles there is Publix, Winn Dixie, and Super Wal-Mart available.  Avoid Goodings near Downtown Disney, their prices are astronomical.  Also if you need extra soft drinks, water, or beer, the Hess stations on property have very good prices on those.

We already have our tickets and dinning reservations set. The girls were very specific about their wants LOL

Awesome!

I love sitting outside with a cup of coffee late at night. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

No concerns at all!  (Except maybe other Fort Fiends dropping by to say hello!!  We are a friendly bunch, and there will always be someone from this board at the Fort!)

I am sure that I will have a million more questions but there are the ones I'm thinking of at the moment.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Can't wait to get to the fort!

Also check carefully what the camper rental place provides.  Find out if they provide towels, linens, dishes, outside chairs, etc.  Make an inventory of any disposables they provide before you go to the store, and pick up what you need.  Some camper rental places provide more than others, so just make sure.

You mentioned that the girls would be using the comfort stations, make sure each of you has their own shower kit with shampoo, soap, etc., so all can shower at the same time.

Don't leave ANY food outside. The squirrels are your worst thief!!!!

Actually, the squirrels are not the worst thieves as far as food. If you leave your crockpot out and I am around, I will be your greatest concern.

Kungaloosh : 1/4 cup orange juice

1/4 cup Captain Morgans spiced rum

1/4 cup raspberry brandy

1/4 cup strawberry daiquiri mix

Mix together in blender with enough ice to make slushy.

I thought it was Blackberry Brandy??

Depends on what I feel like and what I can find.

I feel somewhat obligated to tell you that the 3000 loop exists only in my mind.

Sitting outside at the Fort with coffee in the morning (my beverage choice in the evening is beer) is one of life's greatest pleasures.  If it is raining in the afternoon and we can get the little ones to nap, then coffee under the awning watching the rain makes it even better. 

Your biggest concern should be the feelings of despair you will have on your drive home to NY.  The only antidote is booking your next trip.  Beware of Fort addiction...it's expensive! 

I would lock all my valuables in the RV.  Thefts have been reported from cars, not at the fort but at other areas in WDW.

We have AT&T cell phone coverage and I tether my phone to the computer.  Never any issues with coverage.

You will love at the fort!  Great choice by your daughters.  You will never want to stay in a hotel at WDW again.  You will be spoiled. 

And, since no one else has said it here, :welcome2:  to the boards!

That time of year last year the mosquitos were full force. We got bit at all times if we were not in our screen room. So something to think about there. Either see if they will set one up for you or bring one along. I'm not a huge fan of bug spray, so the screen was a must for us. Other times of the year I don't have a problem. I'll be there this weekend so ill see if they are out yet.

Welcome to this crazy but loving group.   :welcrowd:  You will meet all kinds of folks here.   We have found one thing

we have to remember to tell our visiting granddaughters is that if they try to use a hairdryer in the RV it will blow a fuse.  This happens every time.  So they now go to the comfort station for that.  

Welcome to this crazy but loving group.   :welcrowd:  You will meet all kinds of folks here.   We have found one thing

we have to remember to tell our visiting granddaughters is that if they try to use a hairdryer in the RV it will blow a fuse.  This happens every time.  So they now go to the comfort station for that.

I had to switch over to a hair dryer that pulled fewer amps. It actually works just as good and doesn't take much longer to dry my hair. My granddaughter still prefers her own hair dryer and goes to the comfort station. Makes more room in the bathroom for the rest of us.

I had to switch over to a hair dryer that pulled fewer amps. It actually works just as good and doesn't take much longer to dry my hair. My granddaughter still prefers her own hair dryer and goes to the comfort station. Makes more room in the bathroom for the rest of us.

Oh, wow, good to know.  I was thinking about mounting one of those wall mount hair dryers in my camper kitchen, but I may have to reconsider.

How about running a heavy duty extension cord directly to 110 on the campsite pole for the hair dryer?

Up until about 6 months ago my hairstyle didn't require a hair dryer, but now I do.

We'll be there during your dates. We drive down from MD and request the 1700 loop each July. If you need anything or have questions once you get there, feel free to stop by and knock on the door. You can't miss it, we've got a 5 ft purple mingo next to our sign...

Thank you all. You have no idea how much better I feel about this trip. I am a planner that ends up losing sleep over trips like this. I know this is a very individual question but does anyone know about how much cash/credit we should expect to spend. Our campsite, rv, tickets and dining plan has been paid for. (have to get those character meals in for the little one) We are thinking on  one maybe 2 meals and snacks at the RV. I am more concerned about grocery bills estimates and or spending money in the parks and  at the campgrounds. We will still have to continue down to Ft. Lauderdale area for a family visit for a day or 2 and return home without being completely wiped out. I am thinking something like 2000.00 in cash/credit for the trip. that would include groceries, tips, spending money and extras for the trips. Since this is a big family vacation that probably won't be repeated soon. I don't want to deny anyone anything but I am not a millionaire and don't want to come home to no money.

LOL I understand that but I don't want to not have enough. We have a special account that will is being used exclusively for Disney trip by then there will be about 3000 in the account for use but that will include the gas, meals there and back as well as hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm think that it should be plenty being that we have already paid for campsite, RV, tickets and dinning plan. The money is really for the extras.